• Published 23rd May 2012
  • 3,699 Views, 72 Comments

Jurassic Pink - The Zoologist Colt



Pinkie become rich, and creates a gentics company in order to bring to dinosaurs back to life.

  • ...
2
 72
 3,699

Prologue: The Pinkie Pie Incident

"...sudden changes may appear."

“See? That wasn’t so bad,” Twilight said in cheery tone, as she and her friends exited the Equestrian Museum of Natural History on Manehattan Island, in Central Park.

“Yeah, I guess it wasn’t that bad,” Rainbow Dash replied, doing her very best to hide the fact that she actually did enjoy it. “Though, the dinosaur exhibit was awesome!

It was the last week of summer, so the six friends had decided to take the day off and go to Manehattan. They had spent the day walking around the city doing something that each of them had wanted to do. Rainbow had wanted to go see the Wonderbolts race, Rarity wished to catch the fashion show at the Old Abe Center, Applejack wanted to see Monster Chariot Jam, Fluttershy hoped to see the new baby animals at the Central Park Zoo (if, umm, that wasn’t to much trouble), and Pinkie had just wanted to try as many pastries from as many bakeries as she could. They had just now finished Twilight’s choice for an activity. Needless to say, not everyone liked the idea of spending the rest of the day at a museum, and Rainbow had wanted to go about as much as she wanted to go to Rarity’s fashion show.

“Ah gotta’ say, while Ah did enjoy the hall’a Ancient Earth Pony technologies, the part with the dinosaurs was mah favorite, too,” Applejack admitted, as she came out right behind Rainbow Dash.

“Me three! The dinosaurs were the best part!” exclaimed the perpetual sugar high of a pink Earth Pony – which was their friend Pinkie – as she bounced happily after them.

“I personally preferred the exhibits of the Culture Hall, myself, but I suppose the Hall of Fossils wasn’t all bad,” Rarity stated, as she exited behind them with the lady like grace she always had.

“I liked the Halls of Animals,” came the tiny voice of the butter yellow Pegasus with the pink mane and tail. “Particularly the hall of magical creatures…but the Hall of Fossils was nice too.” Fluttershy quickly added, as if trying not to offend everyone who had already said they liked the dinosaur part.

“Sounds like you all enjoyed the Hall of Fossils,” Twilight said with a smile – happy her friends had actually enjoyed her choice of place to visit, and weren’t completely bored out of their minds.

“Ah especially liked the, uh…what’d ya’ say its name was again, Twi? Ya’ know; the one with horns an’ the frill?” Asked Applejack, trying to remember what it was called.

“Triceratops,” the lavender Unicorn replied cheerfully.

“That’s it!” The orange Earth Pony responded.

“I liked the Apatosaur,” Fluttershy said in a cheerful yet quiet tone, “it seemed like such a nice dinosaur.”

“The T-Rex! RAWR!” Pinkie exclaimed, as she suddenly appeared next to Twilight; doing a mock T. rex roar right in her ear.

“And don’t forget about the Pterodactyl!” Rainbow said with a cheer, as she did a quick aerial summersault.

“Pteranodon,” Twilight quickly corrected. “Pterodactyl actually refers to creatures of the genus ‘Pterodactylus’, and is often incorrectly associated with Pterasaurs, such as the ones we saw in the-“

“Yeah, whatever,” the cyan Pegasus said, cutting her off. “Pterodactyl sounds way more awesome than…whatever it is you just said.”

“Pteranodon.”

“Yeah, that.”

“What ‘bout you, Rarity?” Asked Applejack in her usually southern drawl, trying to steer the topic back on course. “Which was your favorite?”

“Well I suppose the Stegosaurus, but it is rather hard to tell which is more…” The white Unicorn began, trying to find the right word, “…aesthetically pleasing when all you have to go on is a jumbled up pile of dusty old bones.”

“What about you, Twilight? What was your favorite dinosaur?” asked the sweet voice of their timid, yellow Pegasus friend.

“Of the ones we saw, I would definitely have to say the Deinonychus,” Twilight replied. She received only confused looks in return. “…The small therapo-…meat-eater with the big claws on its feet?”

“Ooooooooh! Okay!” they all said, suddenly remembering what she was talking about. To be honest, most of them had only given that exhibit a slight glance before moving on. It had not been nearly as impressive as its larger cousins that they had seen, and they hadn’t really given it much thought aside from that.

“What makes this Die-nonnuh-thingy so great, Twi?” Rainbow asked skeptically, as she continued hovering over the group.

“Well for one thing, it was one the fastest, most agile and most dangerous dinosaurs of its time,” the Unicorn informed. “And it was smart; able to out think and out maneuver just about every other animal alive back then.”

“Heh, like me!” their chromatic aerial companion said proudly, puffing up her chest.

“Actually, Ah’m afraid she said this thing was ‘smart’, Rainbow,” AJ then added; quickly deflating the rainbow maned Pegasus’ ego.

“Low blow, Applejack. Low. Blow.

“Well if that was your favorite one we saw, what is you favorite favorite?” Pinkie Pie asked, getting right up in lavender and purple Unicorn’s face (though, to be fair, Twilight had gotten fairly used to Pinkie’s lack of understanding of Pony’s personal space by now).

“Well…it’s a dinosaur called ‘Troödon’,” Twilight began. “A close relative of Deinonychus and other raptors that belonged to the Infraorder ‘Deinonychosauria’. However, while Deinonoychus and the Raptors separated off into the Family ‘Dromaeosauridea’, while Troödon and its relatives separated into the Family ‘Troodontidea’. Troödon, was the smartest dinosaur ever to exist…well, of its time, as birds are now considered-”

“Okay, we get it! You know a lot of big words!” Rainbow cut her off, rubbing her head. “Geez, now my brain hurts.”

“Alright now, Rainbow,” Applejack said, trying to get the cyan Pegasus to simmer down. “Now look; it’s been a long day, an’ Ah think it’s time we started headin’ on home – don’chu agree, Twi?”

“Yes, I think you’re right, AJ. Is everypony ready?” Twilight asked as she looked around at her friends who all nodded in agreement. She quickly took a deep breath, and began to concentrate on casting the teleportation spell as her horn began to glow bright purple.

“Next stop: Sugarcube Corner!” Ponyville’s premier party pony suddenly exclaimed, as she bounced in place happily.

“Oh, Pinkie,” Rarity sighed. Twilight couldn’t see anything with her eyes clenched shut (clearly), but she could almost feel Rarity roll her own, “I’m not sure even Twilight is accurate enough with her teleportation spell to teleport us to any-”

With a flash of purple light, the six friends had vanished from the streets outside the museum. At that exact moment, they was an equally bright flash of purple light several miles away, as the group reappeared in Ponyville.

“-specific part of Ponyville,” the elegant white Unicorn finished, as they reappeared.

Here we are!” the pink pony cheered happily.

“Oh, look at that: Sugarcube Corner…” Rarity said, completely bewildered. Twilight rubbed her head and opened her eyes to see where they had ended up this time. Sure enough – just as Pinkie had said – they were at the front step of Sugarcube Corner.

“Hey, you guys wanna’ coming inside for a bite? There are a few extra cookies and cupcakes left from this morning,” the pink pony invited. None of them were feeling particularly hunger right then, but a cookie or two never hurt (plus it was rather hard to resist a free baked good from Sugarcube Corner), so they followed in after their pink coated friend. Inside, the Cakes were cleaning up the shop, and getting ready to close for the day.

“Good afternoon, Mr. and Mrs. Cake,” Pinkie said with a cheery grin, as she pranced inside the bakery. “We’re back from our trip!”

“Oh hello, girls!” Mrs. Cake greeted with a smile, as she layed down the tray of cookies she had been moving to the kitchen. “How was Manehattan?”

“It was great!” Pinkie beamed, and almost immediately began to describe the trip in detail: her words seeming to fuse together, she was talking so fast. “FirstwewenttothisracetracktoseetheWonderbolts,andRainbowDashcheeredsohardshepassedoutwhenSoarinwon-”

Did not!” Rainbow said defensively. Pinkie, however, didn’t seem to have heard her…

“-andthenwewenttothisfashionshowwithRarityattheLincolnCenter-”

“Pinkie, it’s the ‘Old Abe Center’,” Twilight interrupted. “We already went over that. Why do you keep calling it the ‘Lincoln Center’?”

“The readers will understand what it means,” Pinkie merely stated, before winking towards the wall where the entrance to Sugarcube Corner was. The Unicorn’s brain broke.

…What?!

“Anyway…atthefashionshow,wesawFlurdeLishaveawardrobemalfuctiononstage,anditwasreallyfunny!AndthenwewenttotheMosterChariotJamwithAppleJack,andsawFrankenChariotsetTheBulgingPorpoiseonfire,anditwassooooooooooooooooocool!ThenwewenttothezoowithFluttershy,andIgottoseeababySnowLeopardupclose!Butthentheythrewmeoutofthenursery,whichwaskinda’rude-“

“I told you it was employees only.” Fluttershy added softly, but it was lost to the seemingly endless stream of words coming out of Pinkie’s mouth.

“AndthenIsaidIwantedtotrysomeofthelocalbakedgoods,andtheyendeduphavingtousetheJawsofLifetogetmeoutthedoor,andthenTwilightsaidthatwasprobablyenoughandthatweshouldgotothemuseumwherewesawabunchofdinosaursandrocksand-“

“Speaking of rocks,” Mr. Cake interrupted, before picking up a sealed envelope and pushing it towards Pinkie, “this came in the mail for you today. It’s a letter from you family.”

At the sound of her family, Pinkie immediately stopped talking, and just stared wide eyed at the envelope for a second.

“A letter from my folks?” Pinkie then said, smiling as she picked up the envelope in her hooves and opened it up (again: with her hooves).

“What’s it say?” Twilight asked, as Pinkie unfolded the enclosed letter. The pink Earth Pony cleared here throat, and began to read aloud.

“‘Dear Pinkie,

How have you been? Things have been rather interesting as of late, here on the farm. The other day, while we were farming rocks from the South Field, we struck a huge vein of not only gems, but also precious metals and oil. Pa has struck a deal with a gentlestallion from Canterlot to sell off the oil and much of the jewels and metals. The reason I’m writing to you is to give you your share of the sales. Attached to this letter is a check for your share. I do hope to hear from you soon, little sister.

Yours truly,

Ingrid Miriam Pie’”

Pinkie returned her gaze to the envelope, and proceeded to pull a slip of paper out of it. She read over the check quickly, and then re-readed it: her eyes now bulging out. Everypony watched as her eyes began to expand wider than any of them thought possible. Her mouth hung open, as the check dropped to the floor and sat there.

Pinkie didn’t move a muscle, and her gaze was fixed on the place in her hooves where the check had once been held. The last time Twilight had seen her look like this, a giant rampaging Spike had made off with the entirety of the store’s baked goods.

“Come now Pinkie, I’m sure you just being overly dramatic,” Rarity said, as she floated the slip off the floor and began to read it herself. The last words out of her mouth were “SWEET CELESTIA!” before she fainted in an overly dramatic way. Where she pulled that chair from to fall on, probably not even Pinkie knew. Next was Applejacks turn, and she gave similar reaction but seemed to handle it a bit better.

“Woah, Nelly!”

“Wow! That’s a big number,” Twilight said simply.

“Look at all the zeros!” Rainbow said, pushing her face right up against the check.

“Pinkie Pie! You’re rich!” Twilight said, at a complete loss for what to say.

“Filthy Rich ain’t got a thing on you, girl!” The cyan Pegasus exclaim, giving her pink friend a good slap on the back. Pinkie however was still in a state of shock.

“So Pinkie, just what do ya’ plan on doin’ with all that dough?” AJ asked as she shook off the affects of looking at the check (Rarity was still down for the count, however). As Pinkie’s brain tried to get itself back into working order only one thought had been going through her head: “dinosaurs and rocks”. Over and over again, this one phrase kept repeating itself inside her mind. She knew what she was going to do…