• Published 12th Jul 2015
  • 1,224 Views, 48 Comments

Luna's Center For Kids Who Can't Magic Good And Wanna Learn To Do Other Stuff Good Too - lunabrony



Luna is still adjusting to society after her return from the moon. Following the success of Celestia's School For Gifted Unicorns, she wants to open up her own education facility. But she's a little behind...

  • ...
3
 48
 1,224

5 - Closing Hours

The children had gone to sleep, at least temporarily. Coming in from the sandbox outside, the young ponies had retired to their desks, Luna had to remind herself that this was, in effect, a preschool, and the young ones who displayed such an affinity for learning and laughing became tired very easily. All three were asleep at their desks with their heads in their hooves, and Luna was taking care to clean up the place, moving slowly and using her magic to put toys and books and things back in their proper recepticles.

While the children slept at their desks, right on schedule until 2:00 when the final lessons would be administered, Celestia approached her sister, and gazed at her with what could only be described as an unbelievably infinite amount of love. Her patience, however, while extremely lengthy, was not quite infinite, and the two would often bicker even now in these days of making up lost time, falling right back into the roles that were defined by just about every pair of siblings ever.

"Luna?" Celestia asked, keeping her voice low so as not to wake the children. She was using her magic to restore several scattered crayons, back to their box, one by one. "Are you alright?" She asked.

Luna looked surprised, and nearly dropped the truck she'd been trying to put back on the self. "What? Of course I'm alright. Why would you ask such a thing?"

"It's just... I know things have been stressed between us, lately, since your return and all, and if there's anything at all I can do-"

"Don't worry about that, Celly. It's behind us now. I'm fine, I promise."

The elder mare smiled briefly. "You still owe me a thousand years worth of birthday presents, you know."

"Oh shut up!" Luna cried out in exasperation, and hurled a stuffed pony plushie at her sister. Celestia ducked, and it rebounded off one of the cubbies with a squeak.

"Hah, missed me." Celestia stuck her tongue out.

Luna smiled. As she gazed at her sister in that moment, her heart swelled with love, and she felt herself burdened suddenly with emotional exhaustion."Yeah." She said. "I did."

---

The final lesson of the day took place thirty minutes later, and it was Clover this time who had been led into a side room, this one holding only a small wooden table lined with various objects of seemingly no relation. A teddy bear, a jigsaw puzzle laid out and half completed, a pineapple, a bowl of apples, a plastic teacup on a plastic saucer.

"Welcome to magic training," Luna said. Clover, who by all means should have been elated to learn magic, after all, who wouldn't?

"I don't like magic," Clover said. Her admission was so sudden that Luna was momentarily taken aback, and thought perhaps she had heard incorrectly.

"You don't like magic!" Luna echoed. "Whyever not?"

"My mother doesn't care for it. She says it's a fancy shortcut from physical labor and it's not fair since not everypony can do it."

Luna frowned at this. "While it is true that not everypony can do it, it's not any less of a physical activity. It simply taxes the mind instead o the body. Unicorns work just as hard as all the others." She gestured to the table. "Now, come on over here, and we're going to start the first day with a simple example using the simplest and easiest of magical trials. Pick one of these objects and levitate it."

Clover did exactly that, and then some. The small filly approached the table, standing a few feet away from the table in the exact center. Her horn lit up, enveloped by a glimmering aura, and despite her young preschool age, she lifted not just the teacup but the bear as well, the two objects lifting right off the table and proceeding to tip the cup to the bears nose. "Tea is served!" Clover announced.

Luna looked astounded. Such control and precision at such a young age... Celestia would want to know about this. She stood there, dumbfounded, for several moments, such a long time in fact that Clover waved a hoof in front of her face. "Miss Luna, you okay?"

Luna blinked. "Yes, yes, of course." She snapped back to attention. "You appear to be exceptionally talented from my first impressions, I'm going to continue my lessons with you and then I'm going to recommend you for my sisters school when you get a little bit older, is that alright?"

Clover's eyes lit up with delight. "Oh, yes! That'd be sweet!"

"But first," Luna said firmly. "Practical applications and the study of magic theory."

"What's that mean?"

"It means," Luna said, slamming a heavy dust covered book down on the desk. "Bookwork."

Clover groaned, but flipped open the front cover. She immersed herself in reading for the next ten minutes or so, with Luna helping with the bigger words, and Celestia stuck her head in the door. "Sister," Celestia said. "Winter is coming."

Luna narrowed her eyes in annoyance. "I enjoy a good reference as much as the next pony, but really, Celestia, can't you at least TRY to be subtle about-"

"-Shush," Celestia interrupted. "Winter Storm? Clover's mother? It's nearly three, the parents will be here to pick up the children at any moment."

"Oh." Luna felt her cheeks burning. "Yes, of course. Thank you, Celestia."

Sighing, Luna looked back over at the studying child. The first day was nearly over already. Where had all the time gone?