• Published 11th Sep 2015
  • 655 Views, 16 Comments

Magic Duel by Mail - Lise



Forbidden from using magic without supervision, Noonlight Bright has accepted she would never be able to cast a proper spell again. One day Trixie arrives, out of the blue, with a new idea - challenge Twilight Sparkle to a magic duel by mail!

  • ...
2
 16
 655

8. Caught

A series of flashes filled the Trixie's wagon. All of Noonlight's belongings were teleported away to her room. Inevitably, there were a number of misspells, though nothing disastrous, fortunately. Moments later Noonlight teleported herself. Panicked, she locked the door. Concern over Trixie crossed her mind, but was quickly replaced by more immediate worries. Trixie would be fine, she had gotten out of worse spots than this. The main thing Noonlight had to do now, was hide her notes and spell materials. In the short period they had been developing mail magic, she and Trixie had managed to compile three tomes of spell patterns, as well as over a hundred scrolls. Test spells, practice spells, final versions, variations, all of them needed a place to go. The tomes were easy - they could go on the shelf with the rest of Noonlight's books. The stacks of scrolls, however, were more problematic. Leaving them in the open risked somepony finding out her secret. Alternatively she could probably burn them?

"Think, Noon, think!" She scolded herself.

What would Trixie do in a situation like this? Probably not care. Knowing her, she would even flaunt them, proving how superior she was to everypony else. Hardly the best solution. Or maybe it was? Placing them near the desk would create the impression they were work related. Out of the entire school less than a basketful of unicorns had a good enough grasp of theoretical magic to understand what was written on them.

Not a perfect solution, but Noonlight hurried to do it nonetheless. Finished, she quickly checked the time. Lunch hadn't ended, so if she hurried she could get back to school in time for her next class. Nopony would suspect a thing then. As long as she didn't do any more magic, everything would be fine.

Leaving her room, Noonlight quickly rushed down the corridor, only to bump into a pair of first year fillies, knocking one to the ground.

"Oof," the filly managed to say as she plopped on the floor.

"I'm so very sorry!" Noonlight said alarmed. "Are you hurt?" She offered a hoof to the unfortunate filly, as her friend stood beside looking with concern.

"I'm alright, Miss," the young unicorn said despite evidence to the opposite. It was just a small scrape on her muzzle, but enough to make Noonlight feel guilty.

"Come along," she said with a smile. "I'll take you to the nurse."

"Aww, Miss," the filly protested.

"We'll miss Princess Twilight if we go!" The other added.

Princess Twilight, of course. It was every filly's dream to meet a princess. Noonlight could understand perfectly. If only she could use magic in the open she could probably heal the wound right away. At the moment, however, she didn't dare to.

"Well then," she smiled. "We better get going, don't we? It would be a shame to keep the princess waiting."

"Yay!" Both fillies started jumping wildly around Noonlight. "Thank you, Miss Bright!"

They knew her name? Surprised, Noonlight took a closer look at them. Come to think of it, they did seem somewhat familiar. Noonlight had helped them a bit in theoretical basics. Strange that they remembered her, though. Most ponies their age hated theory with a passion.

"You are Water Spark?" Noonlight said, trying to remember the filly in question. This was embarrassing! She was acting like an old mare who couldn't remember the names of her students. "You had trouble remembering longer spell sequences?" she suggested uncertain.

"Not anymore, Miss!" The filly beamed. "Thanks to you I can remember anything! I even shared your secret with Morning Dew!"

The other filly nodded.

"Glad to hear it," Noonlight smiled, although still not sure what advice she had given that would be so much liked. Possibly the colour trick? When she had first run into the problem of creating complex spells, Noonlight had used shapes and colours to sketch out the composition of the entire spell. Of course, that hadn't achieved much, since she hadn't bothered to write down the elements themselves. Still, if it worked for the fillies, all the better.

The trip back to school was faster that Noonlight expected. Maybe because she spent the time chatting with two excited fillies, or maybe because she feared what might expect her when she got there. Trixie was still in the back of her mind. How could Noonlight be so foolish to just her friend behind like that? They were supposed to friends. Trixie had never abandoned her, regardless of the circumstances. Maybe she should go back, see what had happened? It was always possible that everything was alright? Twilight had a tight schedule, after all, it was unlikely she would just teleport to her aetherfly beacon.

"Miss Noonlight Bright?" an imposing voice asked. Noonlight looked up to see two Royal Guard pegasi towering above her. "Would you come with us, please."

"Ri.. right away, sirs," she did the utmost to keep her composure. "I have to go now, girls," she turned to the fillies, forcing a smile. "You go ahead. And if you need any help with in magic, you can always find me in my room after school."

The fillies smiled, then merrily trotted into the building. At their age everything seemed an adventure, and all the problems were a lollipop away from disappearing. If only it could be the same for Noonlight.

Escorted by the Royal Guards, she was taken to the second floor of the school, right where the Headmistress' office was located. Her worst fears were about to come true. With every step, the lump in her stomach grew. On a few occasions she considered asking the Guards what was going on, and each time she decided against it.

Arriving at the Headmistress' office, one of the massive white pegasi opened the door and stepped aside.

"Please, Miss," he said in his stern voice.

"Aren't you going to go inside?" Noonlight asked, mustering what little courage she had left.

"Only you, Miss."

It sounded serious. Swallowing, the unicorn made a few shaking steps forward. Seconds later the door slammed behind her.

The room was as imposing as ever. Large enough to hold an entire class, it was filled with ancient artifacts and finely crafted furniture handed down since the creation of the SGU. The price of each was immeasurable, given to the school by Princess Celestia or dignitaries from foreign lands. The walls were covered in huge portraits of important mares and stallions whose contributions in magic had helped advance the field to its present day, starting from Star Swirl the Bearded himself.

Seated behind a massive mahogany desk, was the Headmistress herself. Always a displeased look on her face, she glanced briefly at Noonlight with scorn and disapproval. So far, Noonlight had only been here twice - the first time to receive a stern warning what would happen to her if she did not improve her spell casting, and the second when the truth of the Autocorrect spell had become known. In both cases it was an unpleasant experience. This time, it looked it would be worse. There were four other ponies present - Endless Scroll, princess Twilight Sparkle, Trixie, whom Noonlight avoided to look in the eye, and finally princess Celestia herself.

Noonlight swallowed. This didn't look good.

"Miss Bright," the Headmistress said in her typically cold tone. "Are you missing anything?"

A trick question. The answer was obviously yes. The real question was what exactly was she missing. Noonlight's mind raced as she tried to figure it out. Had she forgotten one of her belongings in Trixie's wagon? Hardly. She had been extremely careful. What then?

Slowly Noonlight shook her head, causing the Headmistress to sigh audibly. That was never a good sign.

"Does this book belong to you, Miss Bright?" The Headmistress levitated a large tome titled "Basic Principles of Magical Theory" in front of Noonlight. And just to make sure there was no confusion, the old unicorn opened it on the first page. A badly written "Property of N. Bright" stared at Noonlight.

"One of my books on theory," Noonlight replied feigning ignorance.

"Quite." The Headmistress adjusted her glasses, returning the book to her desk. "It was found among the possessions of Miss Lulamoon. Care to explain how this came to be?"

Noonlight bit her lip. She could come up with an explanation, but nothing that would fool the Headmistress or the princesses.

"The Great and Powerful Trixie demands you put an end to this charade!" Trixie interrupted. "So, I borrowed a book from Noony, big deal," she waved a hoof dismissively. "It's not like she was going to miss it. With the amount of spelling mistakes she does it would hardly matter anyway."

It was an act, of course, a perfect act. Trixie could easily convince anypony anything. Noonlight too would have fallen for it, if she didn't know the truth behind the matter. The book happened to be a gift she had given Trixie during her last visit. There was no way for her to have borrowed it, since Noonlight had insisted she take it with her.

"Trixie!" Twilight shouted.

"What?" the blue unicorn asked, in a fashion suggesting she had done nothing wrong. "It is the truth. If it hadn't been for my help she would still be the hopeless filly she was when we were roommares."

Noonlight froze. What was Trixie doing? No pony knew of her involvement with the Autocorrect tablet. Why bring it up now? And why make a scene of it? Didn't she know what the consequences would be? Using harmful magic on another was among the most serious crimes for a unicorn. She could end up with a permanent disabling spell, or banished from Equestria altogether.

"Your help?" the Headmistress asked.

Don't say it, don't say it, Noonlight begged.

"The Autocorrect spell, of course," Trixie said in a matter of fact fashion. "How else do you think she would become smart enough to help the Great and Powerful Trixie in her magic duel against Twilight?"

Silence reigned supreme. Everypony was so shocked with the statement that they just stood there, mouths wide open. Only Princess Celestia kept her composer, quietly observing events from her chair next to the desk.

Ears flopped, Noonlight cowered in fear expecting the worst. In front of her the Headmistress' glasses slowly slid down her muzzle, as she stared at the blue unicorn. Even Twilight could hardly believe what she was hearing. Wings ruffled she teleported right in front of Trixie.

"You challenged me?" she asked in anger and disbelief, her muzzle almost touching Trixie's.

"Who did you expect, Twilight 'Know-it-all' Sparkle?" Trixie snorted. "It's hardly the first time. And since you were always saying that anything is possible with friends, the Great and Powerful Trixie decided to follow your advice."

"But the spells, the letters..." Twilight seemed at a loss. "The magic was way too advanced for your level!"

"Oh please," Trixie laughed theatrically. "There is hardly anything the Great and Powerful Trixie couldn't achieve, as long as she puts her mind to it. Maybe there were a few occasional questions now and again," she shrugged nonchalantly, "but Noony was only to glad to help. After all, before me hardly anypony bothered to talk to her. Isn't that so, Professor? Headmistress?"

The points were well made. Endless Scroll looked uncomfortably at the floor. The Headmistress, however, was not one to be so easily intimidated. Gaining her composure, she adjusted her glasses, then cleared her throat loudly.

"Miss Lulamoon," she began, eyes half narrowed. "Are you saying that you are responsible for using a dangerous artifact on one of my students? One whose theoretical expertise has earned her the respect of her peers, as well as the faculty, I might add. Did you just admit you so shamefully used a dangerous spell, all but crippling her magic ability and risk her being expelled, only for your selfish desire to challenge Princess Twilight to a magic duel?"

"Trixie!" Twilight interjected. "What were you thinking?"

"Well, you certainly didn't mind before, MISS Sparkle," Trixie snapped back, stressing on the 'miss'. "Or have you changed your mind, my so called 'pen pal friend and adversary'?"

Noonlight, felt her heart stop. Trixie had read the letters! All this time, she had known and had never once said a word. Not only that, Trixie had been silently helping her the entire time. The sandwiches she would force feed her, the memory taste spell, even the constant suggestions Noonlight go visit one of the parties Trixie was providing amusement for. And now she was still protecting her, making sure that no harm would come of her at the hooves of the Headmistress.

"I distinctly remember you having nothing against me bribing your dragon into sending our letters," Trixie continued, at which point Twilight shot a worried glance at Princess Celestia. "And you were certainly okay when the Great and Powerful Trixie sent gifts for your friends."

"This is hardly the point, Miss Lulamoon," the Headmistress raised her voice. "Your personal dealings with the princess, however contemptible, are a matter of a different conversation. What I ask you, is whether you willingly subjected a member of this school to untested, hazardous and potentially crippling magic?"

All eyes turned in Trixie's direction. Even Princess Celestia leaned forward, awaiting an answer. Noonlight couldn't take it any longer. She opened her mouth to say something in her friend's defense, but her words never reach the air.

"Yes!" said Trixie defiantly. For a split second Noonlight caught her glance. There was calmness mixed with determination, as if she was telling her everything would be alright. "Yes, I am saying just that."

"In that case, our conversation is over," the Headmistress said bitterly. "Professor Scroll, please escort Miss Bright to her room. Our next conversation doesn't involve her."