• Published 23rd May 2012
  • 772 Views, 0 Comments

Maverick: Coming Home - The Drifting Bard



the tale of an unfortunate Human, thrown around through dimensions like a ragdoll.

  • ...
 0
 772

Prologue: Stay the ride alive

after finishing TMDGB, I felt it was time to get some new ideas flowing.
this is one of the results.
a bizarre tale of interwoven stories of a dimension hopping man.


The world had suddenly decided to take a joyride on the road of irony and not to take me with it


With everything exploding around me, I took a deep breath.
Clearing my mind of everything, I began to continue pulling the trigger on my Carnifex handcannon.
I was down to my last thermal clip. I picked my self up off the ground, wary of my surroundings. A bolt of pain shot up my right leg. I made my way slowly to the self destruct switch. "Shepard!, get these people out of here!" I shouted.
"But what about" i cut him off.
"I've lost too much Commander, you know this!! now don't let my death be in vain!! take that Hades cannon and shove it up the reapers ass!!" with a final war cry, I hit the button.

The husks clambered in through the broken windows. "three rounds left" i thought to my self "lets make it count" I chuckled.

Within minutes, the base of operations was reduced to burning rubble.
but life always has a funny way of throwing a lifeline.


the sounds of silence was all I heard.
I opened my eyes to see three figures standing before me.
"young jumper, your journey is at an end" an ethereal voice echoed, breaking the silence.
"does that mean I get to go home?" I asked, expecting my voice to be raspy and haggard.
it wasn't.
"no, your world is locked forever" a second, feminine voice began to perforate my eardrums.
"why? i've done as you asked!" the third figure shook its head.
the third figure sighed. "we cannot send you back, but we can send you to a new home, a realm of peace"
i laughed at the third voice's words.
"Peace?, i've fought against the undead, gigantic robots, dragons and aliens," i sighed.
"and you expect me to know peace?"

"you will know peace if you seek it"

With those final cryptic words, i heard a breeze rushing past my ears.
i felt myself hit something solid, then there was a loud crack.

once again, i slipped into unconsciousness.


If you want to hear God laugh, tell him your plans.


I awoke a few hours later, hearing two voices. "Oh come now Spikey-wikey, I know what you mean but" the first voice sang out, but the second... He seemed worried. "all I'm saying is that, ever since Celestia sent those strange things to Twilight," he paused, and slowly crept across towards me. "What is it Spike?"
"Exactly what I'm worries about"

They took in my battered form, the injuries i sustained. The hard-suit i had been wearing at the time had been shattered, a large chunk had been seemingly gouged out the breast plate. The right greave no longer existed. the armored plating hung off by a thread.
Spike had gotten a stick and was prepared to put me down. The other voice then began to speak. "if this thing is...
don't hurt it Spike, I'll go get twilight, maybe she would know what to do"
Spike huffed, knowing the voice was right. "Alright then, Rarity, but hurry"

I had lazily raised an arm at this point. an orb of light appeared in my hand.
"sure as hell hope this works" I whispered to myself. Within a minute or two, my minor wounds were healed.
I then sat up. Spike then bonked me over the head.

"Hey watch it you little..."
What i saw both made me fear for my life and wonder just where i was. "Dragon?"
The small dragon then gasped. "you spoke!!"
"so, lots of things can speak, like you for instance"
the small dragon then proceed to prod my leg with the stick.
after five minutes of expletives and me grabbing said stick, the voice belonging to Rarity and a brand new voice returned.

I blacked out, still in agony from my more serious wounds. the sound of footsteps across wooden floors seemed to rouse me from my sleep. i awoke to the smell of coffee. "ugh, remind me to never blow myself up again" I grunted as I sat up.
The new voice echoed from another room "Your awake!" the voice belonged to a young woman, possibly in her late teens.
"thankfully yes," I smiled as the woman entered the room. "I'm going to take a guess and say that this is a library" She grinned sheepishly.

I then noticed the three bags, "okay, so either I have finally gone mad, or this can mean one of few things"
she watched as i opened a bag, within the bag was some fresh clothes. i pulled out a black t-shirt in my exact size.
"looks like i'll be calling this world home" she heard this and pulled out a scroll.

"excuse me sir but, i have a letter from Princess Celestia for you" I sighed upon hearing this.
"Thanks miss...what was your name?"
she again grinned sheepishly. "My name is Twilight Sparkle"
"really?" i smiled as i offered a hand "nice to meet you" she took my hand in hers, her hands were delicate.
"so your name is?" she asked.

"Call me Maverick, or Rick for short"

after she had graciously let me use her shower, she asked a pivotal question.
"so where are you from originally?" I sighed, lowering my head, concentrating on the mug of coffee now sitting on the table before me. "To be perfectly honest, I don't remember much about my homeworld," i took a swig. "i remember the day i left but before that, everything is hazy"
she could see I was being honest by the way i was getting solemn.
"so, what about the other worlds you visited?"
"i'll tell you my life story when i'm good and ready," I sighed "i've just got to place events in the right order again" I chuckled.
she simply nodded, letting me drink the coffee.


next time on Maverick

Rick meets the rest of the gang, and we see just how deep the scars run.
Celestia welcomes the human to Equestria. Luna seems to be skeptical of the human.
and Pinkie Pie throws a party.
i do?
yes you do

all this and more, on the next exciting episode of Maverick: Coming Home