• Published 9th Jul 2015
  • 376 Views, 2 Comments

A Day at the Fair - bahatumay



Going to the fair is always fun. Being made fun of by Diamond Tiara is not fun. Getting revenge is fun.

  • ...
2
 2
 376

In Class

Featherweight scampered noiselessly up the steps to the schoolhouse, the freshly-signed permission slip clenched firmly between his teeth. He was so excited he couldn’t keep from running. The fair was in town! He couldn't wait!

He skidded silently to a stop in front of Miss Cheerilee's desk. He scanned the surface to see where it should go and he quickly recognized Apple Bloom's distinctive scrawl on a nearly identical slip, and he placed it precisely on top. He glanced up at Cheerilee for approval.

After a quick perusal, she nodded. “Thank you, Featherweight," she said, looking down at a checklist. She murmured to herself as she checked his name off. “That leaves just Archer, Twist, Truffle Shuffle…”

Featherweight had to suppress a smile as he headed over to his desk. Truffle Shuffle would get his turned in. He wouldn't miss fair food for the world.

“…and Scootaloo.”

As if summoned by the speaking of her name, Scootaloo appeared, bursting through the door and sending up clouds of dust. She proudly set her own permission slip on the desk and pranced back to her desk.

Cheerilee raised an eyebrow when she saw Rainbow Dash's scrawl on the 'guardian' line and sighed. At least she could tell that Scootaloo hadn't tried to fake it; Rainbow's signature squiggle, honed by hours of practicing for when she'd be the one giving autographs, was very distinctive. Still, would it kill her to finish her last name? Ratnbow Da--. That's what it looked like.

She put these thoughts aside as the bell rang and a few final students trickled in. She stood up and walked to the front of the classroom. “Good morning, class!”

“Good morning, miss Cheerilee!” her class chorused back.

“I'm happy to see how many of you have turned in your permission slips for the traveling fair next week.”

“Woo hoo!” Her class gave a few cheers of excitement, and she smiled and waved them down.

“Now, if you haven't, you only have until tomorrow to do so. I know we're all going to have a good time together.”

“Miss Cheerilee?” Diamond Tiara had her hoof raised.

Cheerilee smiled. “Yes, Diamond Tiara?”

“Aren't there restrictions on the rides?”

Cheerilee blinked. “Well, yes; some only permit one rider, others have a height restriction…”

“What about weight restrictions?” she asked pointedly.

Cheerilee hesitated. She hated being set up, and that's exactly what this felt like. Still, she had to give her student the benefit of the doubt. “I suppose; but I'm fairly certain that won't be an issue.”

“Oh, no; I'm thinking the other way. What about ponies being too light to ride?”

Cheerilee frowned. She had a sinking feeling that she knew exactly where this was going. “I’m sure every ride has its own restrictions depending on what kind of ride it is,” she said in an attempt to disarm her.

It didn’t work.

“Oh. Ok. Because I'd be afraid if somepony wouldn't be allowed to ride a ride for being too much of a… featherweight. Not everypony can be normal, you know?” She glanced over at Featherweight and just smirked.

Featherweight frowned, and his ears dipped slightly as he wilted. It wasn't his fault he had rolled poorly on genetics. So what if he was a little smaller than most ponies his age? That didn’t make him any less of a pony.

As one, the Cutie Mark Crusaders turned their collective scowls on Diamond Tiara. They knew from personal experience how unpleasant her perspective of 'any pony not like me is inferior' was, and felt a small sense of camaraderie for the little pegasus.

Cheerilee scowled as well. “Diamond Tiara,” she warned.

Diamond Tiara put on her most innocent look. It had gotten her out of most of the trouble she should have been in.

As offensive as it may have been, though, it hadn't been explicit enough to have violated one of the class rules. She really needed to reword them, didn't she?

She decided to settle for continuing on. “Speaking of weight, how many of you remember our discussion on mass last class?”

* * *

Later that night, Featherweight looked in the mirror. His reflection looked back, wearing a black sweater and black face paint. Featherweight pulled the black hat over his head and smiled. He had work to do.