• Published 25th Jul 2015
  • 219 Views, 2 Comments

Of Fire and Ice - Thunder_Bird



A war of religion is entering it's darkest days

  • ...
8
 2
 219

Chapter Five - The Baptism Of Fire - Part One

Hours had passed since the horn was blown. The attack was near, but the only soldiers who had seen action were the Pegasus. Arrows filled the sky, both sides seemed contempt to keep the battle as a show of ranged power. But as the battle raged on the Ice cult began the true assault a huge armoured siege tower of 300 feet, the width of the sides was 71 feet. Brave dread to think how many soldiers would come from monstrous constructs bowels, a stallion looked at Brave.

“don’t worry. they never hit us on the wall with that. they just use it as a shield for the soldiers … or to scare us into thinking they could take the wall”

The stallion had a grey streak in his mane, a scar on his face, and the signs of old age. He was a veteran. He knew what will happen here today.But what would happen next nopony expected. The tower normally stood out of the range of the ballistas but it kept on going toward the wall. The boiled leather made it impossible to burn the tower down, They was only one hope. Use magic. Brave began to make his way toward the commander of the defence. A old soldier, his mane had lost it’s natural colour and was going white. He looked at brave, recognizing him due to watching him train his magic in training. “Thank the Flame Lord a halfe way good soldier. Listen that tower is going to fuck us in the arse, I’m sending for your squad. get on their side of the wall and take the tower down, do whatever is needed. meet your squad at the central gate May The Fires Burn Strong”

“May The Fires Burn Strong...” Brave echoed, he began walking to the lift, one thought went through his mind “This could be the last time I am on the lift.” He noted.


As Thunder got the command to meet the squad near the gate he was confused, a giant tower was getting pushed toward them and they wanted him to be at the gate? But like the good soldier he was he made his way to the great oaken gate. When he reached the ground he saw that Grey, NightGlider, the Volcanic brothers, Bravesoul and Hardknox. They were all talking about what they were going to do once the outer gate opened. Thunder joined the discussion with the question “How is giving the orders?”

They all looked around to each other this gave Thunder the answer he needed “okay, i am giving the orders, if I die then it’s Nightglider. we can get the bird's eye view due to being pegasus. Anyone got a plan?”

Brave spoke up “Why should we put you in command? You have no training!”

Thunder opened his mouth but Grey spoke for him “I vote for Thunder”

“Aye, Thunder” Volcanic Wrath said

“i chose the Thunder one” came from Volcanic Axe, like it was the most important thing he would ever say. But it probably was.

“Well in the way of the North and democracy, Thunder is the commander, Nightglider is subcommander.” Grey announced

“We are in the south.” Brave corrected

Grey looked at Brave with an easy stare but before he could retaliate the first of the great oak gates opened, the wood was 3 feet deep and had iron on the joints for added strength. The squad passed through, 3 Pegasus, 3 Earth and 1 Unicorn. The band made it to the staging area, they was a collection of shields on one wall and a weapon rack on the other. Thunder gave them all commands.
“Brave, get a bigger shield It’ll save you. Hard Knox, Volcanic Axe and Wrath, get a spear and shield if you don’t use one. Wrath I know you use a greatsword, sheath it in the scabbard on you back” Volcanic Wrath did as he was instructed “oh, and if you don’t get a shield get one.” Light started to flood the room as the second gate was opened. One more and they would be in battle. Thunder looked around at his squad, Brave in his medium armour holding a shield that was slightly too be too big for him. The Volcanic brothers and Hardknox with their heavy full plate armour, a 4 foot spear, a shield. Hardknox’ great sword was in it’s scabbard, Volcanic Axe's Axe head was above his belt, the rest under it, and finally Volcanic Wrath and his magnificent greatsword on his back, the hilt looking over his shoulder.

Thunder led them all into the second area, candles made the room as bright as a field on a cloudless summer's day. Thunder had now thought of the plan to keep them safe and take the tower down. “When we go out there, I want the Volcanic Brothers and HardKnox to form a defensive area around Brave, use your spear and shield until you have to use the weapons you trained with. the spear if you don’t know is a simple weapon, stick ‘em with the pointy end. Me, Grey and Nightglider are to make sure no Pegasus get above Brave and tries to throw their spear at them. Brave your job is easy, stay alive and bring that tower down, everyone understand?” The group noded “good”.

Volcanic Wrath turned to his brother, Axe looked confused.
“Hey brother,” Wrath said, “we’re going to go out there and fight the bad ponies, when we come back we can go visit mama” His brother looked at him, eyes full of hope. “But you gotta be good”.

Axe nodded then said “Fight the bad ponies than see mama, can we ask her for some of her cookies. Oh please say we can have some of her cookies?”

Wrath’s voice was trapped in his throat, so Grey spoke up “I’ll make sure of it, go make mama proud.” He looked to Wrath and gave him a nod.

Thunder looked at Grey with a look saying what was all that about. Grey looked back and shook his head.

the final gates started opening, showing the third and final area. No words were spoken in here, the next time they came through here would be as heroes who everypony will remember or corpses who nopony will remember. The latter was the most likely. “400,000 against 7 … gotta love them odds” Thunder thought. The final gate started to open bringing light to just how desperate the fight will be. The gate opened slowly with a loud creek, it was now or never, if Thunder waited on his command the enemy will be in. Thunder unsheathed his sword, pointed it toward the opening and the called out

“Forward, for honor! for glory! and for a new dawn!”

The squad advanced into the unknown.The volcanic brothers went first, then Hardknox, after the defensive position was secure Thunder, Nightglider and Grey then went out, after it was Brave’s turn.