• Published 25th Jul 2015
  • 219 Views, 2 Comments

Of Fire and Ice - Thunder_Bird



A war of religion is entering it's darkest days

  • ...
8
 2
 219

Chapter Four - The Eve Of Battle

The bells rang out throughout the compound, waking Thunder. He looked around and saw that the others were climbing out of bed and running toward the armoury. He jumped out of his bed and followed the crowd. Inspite of his hangover he pulled his chain link shirt over his torso, he fastened up his padded leather tunic and pulled up his chain link trousers, buckling up his plate armour over his elbows he looked at the others. The unicorns had their medium weight armour on, the Pegasus had on the army designated armour Thunder was wearing and the Earth had their full steel plate armour on. The standard weapons for the Pegasus was similar to the Unicorns gear, the only difference was that the Pegasus had no shield making it possible to carry the spear and sword at once when fighting in air. However the Earth ones could use a greatsword, a battle axe or a arming sword and kite shield.Thunder put on his helm, a simple Leather cap with two steel wings coming out of the top.

Thunder jogged to the courtyard that was in the shadow of the old circular keep. The roof had long fallen into the keep’s top rooms. The keep, like everything in the compound, was in the shadow of the towering wall. Thunder looked at the commander of the forces as he gave a speech about what the day will contain, Thunder noticed he had no weapon at his side, his body language suggested that he had been in few battles.

“ … The barbarians of the Ice cult have been seen gathering their numbers at Wayland Keep for over a month! Last night we saw scouts in the tree line. We are expecting an attack sometime today. If the past is anything to go by they will launch small forces at us throughout the day and the main attack will be at night. Now go to your positions, and when the battle starts I want you all to know what your role is in the army! Dismissed!”

Thunder walked toward the old wooden lift that was installed years after the wall was completed. It was added so the soldiers on the top didn’t have to climb the stairs and get in the way of them the soldiers firing the ballista at the incoming army’s siege towers.He looked at how the lift was rotten and the ropes were close to snapping. He was thankful he was born with wings. As the first force of soldiers boarded the lift Thunder extended his wings, his yellow feathers blowing in the winds, then he gave a flap of his wings with an audible clap as he lifted off the ground. He sawed high up the wall the wind in his mane. He felt like the young colt he once once, gliding around the cliffs of Kayrock with his father, a simpler time.He reached the top of the wall, a good 30 minutes before lift, a few Pegasus who had the same idea where landing on the wall now.

Thunder looked out to where the “barbarians” had made camp. From the amount of tents, fires and banners Thunder guessed they were around 400,000 swords their, and double the number of cooks, medics and other personnel. 400,000 “barbarians” against 250,000 soldiers and one big ass wall Thunder thought .Gotta love them odds. Thunder was standing at the battlements looking down at the 300 feet drop. “I hope I don’t fall.” a shiver ran through him.


The sun was high in the sky and the first force who was on guard of the wall were making their way down the wall, Brave was using the steps and Thunder and a few other Pegasus were gliding their way down. Thunder was the first the reach the east side than the grey Pegasus joined him. Thunder gave him a look, he most definitely didn’t look like an Earth that was for sure.They was an uneasy silence until the Pegasus spoke, “My name is Nightglider, but the question is not who am I. It’s who are you?”

Thunder had an idea

“Hard Knox.”

The Pegasus burst into laughter “Don’t be dumb, I know who you are. Thunderbird, your father was murdered when it was your sixteenth birthda-” He was cut off by the song of steel exiting it’s scabbard.

“How do you know all this!?” Thunder was near shouting now.

“Okay, hang around and you’ll find out, but please. put the sword away”

The sword found it’s home back in it’s scabbard. A voice called over to the group, one Thunder recognised, Hard Knox. “See you got a friend Night!” Thunder and Night both looked over to greet him, they saw that his lap dogs were following him, laughing over some unspoken joke.

A grunt came from Night, Thunder walked to Hard Knox, and asked him “Why did you want me to come here? That Pegasus somehow knows shit that i thought i only knew”

“That Pegasus is called NightGlider, show some respect to your peers. And there's a reason we want you here, wait for a while. he’ll show when we are all here”

“How many of us is they to go?”

“Just the one now”

“Well he better get a move on”

The group shared ideal chatter about where they came from and their family. Thunder was the only one who came from Kayrock, Night came from a dusty old sea town named White Harbor The volcanic brothers came from a place named Ashford and finally Hard Knox hailed from Hellhot. Soon Brave joined them and informed them that he was too from Kayrock, a tone of aggression and superiority in his voice.After a while a Pegasus came walking toward the group, his leathers shining in the sun, his helmet under his arm and a spear in his left hand. Thunder recognised the coal black coat and grey mane, Brave did not, both his eyes were on show, but only one was open to the world the other had been closed for ever by a scar across the most of the left side of his face. “I see everyone is here, that is good. Any questions?”

Brave was quick on the draw “who are you? the stallion i spoke to on the train was a Earth”

“My name is Grey, the stallion you talked to unfortunately was killed right after talking to you, make sure his death is not in vain. How about you Thunder?” he looked at the Pegasus who was in clear shock “Yes we know your name, we know a lot about you, shame about your father. We represent the Wonders, that is the name we go by on this side of the wall. The other we are known as The Snow Holt Unification Party. In the north we have a very different political policy to you southerners. We elect our leaders, your leaders force there way to power in the cover of night. Two very different systems but they started roughly at the same time, when our leaders were killed a few miles from the wall. I’ll tell you more later, but we are drawing attention. Go and spend your day as you see fit. I’ll send for you.”

And with that he turned on the balls of his feet and walked away, as did every pony apart from Brave as his heart was telling him one thing and his heart was telling him the opposite.

Brave’s thought trail was cut off by the war horn blowing, he knew that this could be the beginning of the end. He looked around the entire place was in chaos medics rushing to their appointed positions, soldiers running to the lifts and up the stairs. Brave began running to the lift, thankful for his armour not being too heavy. When he reached the top he saw that his squad was there, the Volcanic brothers, Nightglider, Grey, Thunder and Hard Knox.