• Published 17th Jul 2015
  • 1,288 Views, 17 Comments

Twilight's Fear - Lux



Will a lingering nightmare Twilight Sparkle has been having be her undoing?

  • ...
2
 17
 1,288

Chapter 6

Chapter 6

Twilight didn’t remember how exactly she got back to the safety of her bedroom. Then again she couldn’t remember much of anything that happened during the past hours since she was awake. She remembered waking up with a scream which much have frightened the poor librarian something awful when he was opening up the library for the day as she heard him galloping towards her.

“Princess Twilight?” the librarian said with a sound of surprise and concern, “Are you alright?”

“No…I mean yes, I mean… I gotta go,” she said as her mind was flooded with thoughts and emotions from the dream combined with the fog of lost sleep. The librarian was about to open his mouth and say something but the Alicor was too flustered to carry on a conversation. Then somehow she remembered being here in her room, theorizing that she teleported so as not to draw attention from anypony else. Now she sat in her room which felt more like a self-imposed prison than a sanctuary where she could be happy.

“What’s happening to me?” she said as she felt her own mind betraying her normally rational self, “Ok, think Twilight, you’re better than this to just give up. There has to be a way to solve this dream so I can get the rest I need.”

She hastily grabbed a piece of paper and a quill and set to work documenting the ever direr progression of her dreams. There was always the constant scene, a fire caused by an unknown source that engulfed the town and killed most if not all of Ponyville’s citizens including her friends. This wasn’t an ordinary fire, and Twilight guessed it was no accident. Somepony or something had set the blaze, using it to trap everypony and destroy their lives. She couldn’t think of any creature strong enough to unleash such power without her knowing, or if there was, the creature would be long trapped in Tartarus. She also knew there were only a few ponies capable of such destructive magic, namely the Princesses including herself, but surely no Princess would seek out the destruction of ponykind… unless.

“Oh no!” Twilight said as tears filled her eyes looking down at the last thing she wrote about the most recent dream, “Pinkie Pie, she said ‘You’ before dying. I couldn’t cause all that destruction, I wouldn’t! That’s not what the dreams are trying to tell me, right? I’m not a murderer, or a destroyer!”

She curled up into a ball as the very thought of her even accidentally hurting her friends and the innocent townsfolk was like the weight of the world on her back. Her mind went through all the scenarios of what the dream meant other than what she saw, but nothing could be done to deny the fact that somehow she caused this destruction. It was apparent as to who caused it as she saw nothing else in the dream that could have caused it, nor was she or her castle damaged by the fire. She wept for her friends even though she knew that they were still alive and well. The question ran through her mind: how long would they be ok? Would it be a day, week, month or year when Twilight causes what the dreams predicted would come to pass? One mystery appeared to be solved but another bigger mystery appeared as to how she could prevent her magic from hurting anypony, even accidentally.

“I know what the dream means, and I know what I have to do,” Twilight said as a new wave of confidence helped lift her from her depression, “No more magic until I can figure out why I would destroy my home and friends.”

It was easy enough for her to say it to herself, but she didn’t know how well she could do it. She thought about asking Princess Celestia or Luna, but no. If they heard that she had a prophetic dream about her destroying Ponyville and killing so many innocents including her friends they might think of her as an incompetent ruler who can’t solve her own problems, or worse they would think she was a threat that needed to be contained. As much as she trusted them with her wellbeing she knew that they also would protect Equestria and its citizens from a threat, even if it meant another Princess. Princess Luna was a prime example of this fact when she became Nightmare Moon.

“I’m not going to even accidentally hurt my friends,” she said with a renewed purpose, “I’m going to not use my magic, figure out what would cause my magic to go haywire, and fix it. What’s the worst that can happen?”

Author's Note:

Another short chapter. Sorry about that. I wanted to get this one out before a busy weekend for me. Only a few chapters to go before this story wraps up, so keep reading to see how this ends!