• Published 17th Jul 2015
  • 1,288 Views, 17 Comments

Twilight's Fear - Lux



Will a lingering nightmare Twilight Sparkle has been having be her undoing?

  • ...
2
 17
 1,288

Chapter 5

Chapter 5

Sometime during her studies of her dream and about prophecy, Twilight Sparkle’s mind lost the battle with her body, as it gave into the lure of sleep. One minute she was in the castle library trying to unravel her frightening dream and the next blackness. The fog of sleep though was not without its promise of a pleasant night’s sleep and the fear that once again the Princess would find herself in that twisted mockery of a nightmare world.

As the dark of sleep gave way, The Alicorn once again found herself back in the burning town of Ponyville, unable to escape her fate. The dark dream picked up where she left off, leaving the body of the now dead colt behind her as she trotted down the streets, passing by more bodies that tried escaping their former houses and businesses, now fiery prisons. Their only reward though for escaping was death, proving their efforts to be futile. There were some ponies that she didn’t see such as the Flower Fillies who no doubt perished together inside their house. Then there were the once living breathing ponies that she interacted with that now lay dead in the street among the burning debris, those who were spared from the flames but not the overwhelming smoke that blackened the sky overhead. Once they had lives with their names and now that was over.

Twilight’s thoughts then turned to her friends, the ones that she cared about more than even her own welfare at times. Surely if they had survived the many dangers they had been through they would survive this inferno. But seeing how many ponies that were strong in their own right now dead on the ground the Princess began to worry. As she wandered town in the hopes of find her friends or any survivors for that matter, she turned the corner to where another familiar place now burning. There in front of her was Sugar Cube Corner, a once cheery place now a pile of charred wood mixed with colors that once adorned the store and crackling flames. But that wasn’t what took her breath away for there in front of the store was Pinkie Pie’s body. Her pink fur was charred and her once puffy mane and tail was covered in soot and flattened.

“Pinkie!” Twilight shouted as she trotted over to where her friend lay. As she rolled the mare over on her back the pink earth pony suddenly gasped for breath harshly. She was alive, but it was clear that her life was in danger.

“T…Twilight? Is that you?” Pinkie said as the lavender unicorn could only see fear in her friend’s eyes.

“Yes, I’m here Pinkie. What happened? Where are our friends?”

“We all came here to help the town,” she said in a raspy voice, “but the flames surrounded us. It was like they knew we were here… and they… I…”

Pinkie Pie’s voice suddenly broke into a loud raspy cough as every breath the mare took was a fight for her life before whispering, “Twilight?”

“Yes Pinkie?”

“I’m not having fun anymore,” she said as tears filled her eyes.

“Pinkie Pie, I know you’re hurting but you need to tell me, who did this to Ponyville?”

“Y…you…” was the only thing that she said before her eyes rolled back into her head and the last breath exited her body.

“Pinkie… no… you can’t die, not like this,” Twilight said as she cradled her friend while weeping, her mind a cloud of sadness and confusion.

Author's Note:

Short chapter I know, but I wanted to have one chapter devoted to this dream.