• Published 13th Jul 2015
  • 690 Views, 7 Comments

Try as I May. Try as I might. - PredictableOffender



You were a promising young mage with talent to spare but life was too much for you so you ran away to Ponyville to live a quite life with your dog.

  • ...
12
 7
 690

Your resistance is pointless.

“Winter please pay attention.” You wake up to find yourself back in a the Canterlot academy, in a classroom. There are no other students in the classroom, you don’t recognize the voice but Twilight is at the front of the classroom teaching you. You don’t take long to realize you are in another nightmare.

“Please. I thought this form would be more appealing to you after what happened today.” the tone is similar to that of a young boy, you see smoke begin to emit from the entity impersonating Twilight. It starts to approach you.

“You have always been resistant to my teaching, I was able to get in a few good lessons when you came to this town. How can a dog alone give you such strength?” The figure is on your desk, it teleports a book onto your desk. The book is very large, leather bound book with an unfamiliar symbol on the cover and a title in a foreign language.

“Just pay attention.” The book begins to open on its own, but you try to focus on the real world. You feel something, try to force your head towards the book, but you hear a faint barking in the distance.

“Stop. Resisting.” You try to move, but your body does not respond, you try your hardest to move towards the barking. You feel something wet on your face.

~~~

In a panicked grasp you almost leap from your bed, Harvey dodges you with ease and looks at you expectantly. You put both arms around him and hug him as tight as you can, you feel him nuzzling his furry face against you. Harvey slips out of your grasp and runs off somewhere, he must be getting something for you to feel better.

You have had these nightmares ever since you were a child, Harvey picked up on it quickly and does everything he can to make you feel better. They always are a variation on the theme of being forced to read the book Good things never happened from reading from any of the books, it always results in violent behavior.

You look to your left to see Harvey returning to your TV remote in his mouth, he drops it on your chest. You pat him on the head and grab the remote, you get out of bed, you don’t even bother to check the time and click on the TV from your bedroom. When you make it to the living room TV is playing the news, it's replaying the highlights of the recent Equestria games. You change the channel and you find a show about appraising antiques.

The show largely features furniture, but they explain the history of some of the items so you keep watching. After that show ends the channel brings up some boring documentary on sailing so you change the channel to Dirtbike race on some foreign channel, you can’t understand the language but you watch the end of the race. You notice the flags the audience are waving, they are almost all Gryphon kingdom flags. The sun is up by the time the race ends and you have to get ready for work.

You go back to your room and grab your phone, you have a text from your boss. He has hired someone else and they are working the park for you and you have time off until he can get another contract. You have plenty of savings because you never do anything anyway, you should be okay for a while, although if it's gonna drag on you can’t have any spending cash. You hope that you can get more work soon.

You decide to spend the day with the books you checked out and maybe test out the spells from the combat manual. You open the book, you burn through the lessons because most of them are just modifications on spells you already know. You take the book and head for the roof.

You open the door to the roof of the small, shitty apartment you call home, there are piles of trash nearby that you intend to use as targets. The largest target is an abandoned refrigerator, you have absolutely no idea how this stuff got up here, but a lot of things defy explanation in this town. You take the book and flip to the one spell you didn't’ have confidence in casting.

You mark the fridge as your target and visualize the hole you want to punch in it and begin to draw a line from your hand to the target. You channel as much energy you can deliver and fire the bolt. The fridge doesn't recoil, but a haze of smoke begins to rise from it, you can see the red hot dot of dripping metal that you cut through the smoke.

The next spell is a kind of magical slash emitted from a weapon, the book calls for a sword, but you can make it work with a stick you found on the ground.

You hold the stick in both hands like a sword and channel energy in your hands, you begin your swing. As the stick flies through the air you visualize the target and force magic into the stick, being careful to account for its odd shape. A crescent of energy flies out of the stick and impacts the fridge, it cuts through the door but no deeper.

You spend a few more hours practicing your offensive spells before Harvey comes running up to the roof barking madly. You realize that you forgot to feed him so you run back to the kitchen and pour him some food, he begins to happily eat.

You decide to take the time to read in the herbal/alchemy book.

The books seems to be what is basically a cookbook for a number of medicinal potions, this book isn’t very impressive too. You wonder why Twilight took such an interest in you after taking this, maybe the images in Ponyville are all sub-par. Although you don’t remember studying combat magic that much back in Canterlot. You dismiss the thoughts and decide to do another once over the books you didn’t read all of them, but it was like reading an instruction manual on how to speak Equestrian, you knew it all already.

As weird as it all sounds you decide to go back to the library again, you put Harvey on a leash and leave your apartment.

It’s about noon and the residential neighborhood is dead with everybody either being at work or school. You walk through the empty neighborhood, Harvey seems to think you are going to work.

Once you make it to the library, you knock on the door and it takes a few minutes for the door to open. Spike appears on the other side of the door, he looks at Harvey then looks at you and pauses for a moment. He sighs and opens the door and motions you inside, you and Harvey follow inside.

“Twilight is with some of her friends right now.” Spike walks back upstairs without saying anything more. The kid must be tired.

You don’t have the supplies at home to experiment with potions, but maybe Twilight does. The lights suddenly go out, and Harvey goes ballistic. Harvey suddenly pulls forwards and frees the leash from your hand, before you can react, he goes running off into the library. You try to run after him, but you run straight into a dead end, the world outside looks perfectly normal.

You feel someone watching you.

You turn around to see the a young boy in a black hoodie, the only part of his face you can see is his sharp shark like teeth. He smiles at you, and open his mouth to begin to talk.

“Your resistance is pointless.”

Before you can respond the world returns to normal and Twilight is standing where the boy was moments before. Twilight has a look of concern on her face.

“Are you okay?” Twilight asks in a soft voice.

“Yeah, It's just that I just haven’t talked to anyone in a while so I was freaking out.”

“.... Just take it easy Winter.” she sounds genuinely concerned about you.

“I’ll be okay. I’m just not used to being away from home or work.” You mentally remind yourself to write down your web of lies so you can keep things straight. “Anyway, I came here to take you up on your offer about magic.” She lights up when you say that.

“Alright! Come on I know a place where we can practice and we can be destructive as we want.”