• Published 22nd Jun 2015
  • 5,290 Views, 25 Comments

Twilight Sparkle: ORIGINS - Starlight Crusadir



What if everything you believed about Twilight Sparkle was actually a lie?

  • ...
3
 25
 5,290

Chapter Four:

In the months that preceded, Queen Luna could say nothing. Each night, she could only find the inner strength to raise the Equestrian moon and then quickly sink back into a place of solitude upon her throne. Her only deviance from this pattern was the daily report upon the arrival of Twilight. A guardsman was stationed at the old hovel, with the singular commission to stay and watch for a baby foal. Sadly, she sank deeper and deeper with each passing day, as there was still no child reported to be found.

One morning after Celestia’s rise of the Equestrian sun, Queen Luna broke her silence:

Luna stood upon the balcony adjacent to the throne room. She was looking down at all of the faithful subjects, tending to their wares. On a daily basis, many would rise to greet Celestia with cheers and waves as she returned to the castle. Princess Celestia bubbled with glee as she saw her sister standing there to greet her.

“Luna! You’re up! It has been so long since I have seen you… well… UP!” Celestia said with excitement.

“I grow tired of their adoration for you.” Luna sharply stated as she turned to walk back inside the throne room. Just as before, Luna reclaimed her seat upon her throne. She continued to glare towards the balcony, with a disgusted look.

“What are you talking about sister!? They adore the peace and harmony WE created for everyone!” Celestia said with concern.

“No… you are wrong! Look out there at how all the people love you! Only you! There is no love for me… there is only sorrow. The sorrow of my loss! The sorrow of my anguish! The sorrow of the night!” Queen Luna screamed with a hateful tone.

“Luna… you’re scaring me.” Princess Celestia said, with a look of genuine fear for her sister.

Suddenly, Queen Luna’s heart was blackened with misery and she was overtaken by darkness. Her enormous grief for her loved ones, became hatred and jealousy bound in the depths of her heart. She hated her sister and her kingdom, because of the great sadness that she bore inside. Rapidly, she arose from her throne and was transfigured by her affliction in the sight of Celestia.

“Don’t be scared fair Celestia! I will shroud the world in eternal night and then all shall know the depths of my pain and nightmare!!! I AM SORROW!!! I AM NIGHTMARE MOON!!!”

She dashed with fury into the sky and reclaimed the darkened night to fall upon all of Equestria. Everypony was filled with fear and bewilderment as they could see this strange, darkened figure in the sky holding the Equestrian moon in place. All of the land was black, much darker than it had ever been before.

Celestia rushed from the palace to confront her sister.

“LOWER THE MOON! NOW!” Celestia demanded with anger.

“NEVER!!!”

As Princess Celestia pleaded with her sister, the moon’s draw was enhanced by the powers of Nightmare Moon. It began to strongly affect all of the many shores of Equestria. As the hours passed without truce from Luna’s wicked obsession, the great tides began to flood throughout the land. Their waters began to wreak havoc upon all of the cities, destroying buildings and toppling everything in its path.

“YOU ARE GOING TO KILL EVERYONE!!!” Celestia screamed.

“YES! I KNOW! ISN’T IT WONDERFUL SISTER!?” Nightmare Moon said with sadistic glee.

“YOU LEAVE ME NO CHOICE!” Celestia yelled with passion.

Celestia flew with all of her might to the castle. She quickly gathered each one of the elements of Harmony from their secret place, and wielded them before her like a mighty sword. Then she dashed back to her sister, much faster than she had ever flown before.

“LOWER THE MOON! THIS IS YOUR LAST CHANCE!” Celestia screamed.

“NO! THEY MUST ALL TASTE OF MY EMPTINESS!” Nightmare Moon said with arrogance.

“I WILL USE THE ELEMENTS OF HARMONY TO TRANSFER YOUR POWERS FROM YOU.

THEIR POWER WILL RAISE THE MOON IN YOUR ABSENCE!

YOU WILL BECOME IMPRISONED BY THEM… BY YOUR OWN HATRED!” Celestia cried as great sadness began to overtake her.

“HA! HA! IMPOSSIBLE!

I AM NIGHTMARE MOON!

NOTHING CAN STOP ME!” Nightmare Moon scoffed with laughter.

“I’m sorry, Luna…” Celestia said as tears dropped from her eyes.

Suddenly, Princess Celestia used her great magic to surround Nightmare Moon with the Elements. One by one, they emitted their light force and used their power to entrap her into a web of massive electricity. Slowly, they pulled Luna towards the moon.

“NEVER!!! I AM… NIGHT… AAAAAAHHHHHH!!!”

The harmony stones’ force overwhelmed Nightmare Moon’s dark magic and confined her to the surface of the moon. Her own sorrow that had transformed her… had also made a prison for her. Celestia cried out with great intensity, knowing there would be no escape or reprieve for over One Thousand years. Her absolution from the lunar chains she formed for herself could only happen, when the right alignment of celestial bodies returned in the heavens.

“WHY… LUNA… WHY?!” She howled loudly, in so much that the citizens below heard her and began to weep themselves. The harmony stones quickly began to lower the moon in Luna’s stead and the light returned. As it lowered, the floods subsided and once again there was calm in Equestria. However, this was far from a day of any form of gladness. This was a dark day of mourning throughout the land.

Celestia slowly returned to the palace with the Elements. She then slammed each one into their secret place and sealed it shut… to be forgotten. In rage, she tore off the great curtains adorning the walls on by one. She suddenly draped them over Luna’s throne. Then in silence… she covered her own.

“LUNA!!!!” She suddenly screamed with howling pain. She blasted each massive window with her magic, smashing them into pieces. “LUNA!!! Luna… why?!” She sobbed till her throat was sore, covering her head and lying on the floor.

From this moment, for Seventeen years no one sat upon an Equestrian throne.

Celestia retreated into the solitude of the castle. The emptiness she felt inside was immense. She was rarely seen by anyone, except for her daily rise of the Equestrian sun. However, everyone knew of her pain and anguish. They had empathy for her heartbreak and loss. They understood her great sacrifice for Equestria. Because of this, the citizens grew to care for Celestia as if she was their own daughter. They truly cared for her well-being and wanted to see her once again flourish, sitting on her rightful throne.

The people knew that Cantilias was only a source of pain and heartache for Celestia. Because of their great love for their Princess, they sought her commission to build a new city for her reign. After many months of pleading, she relented only upon one condition—this new city would be built on top of their former place of hiding. This was done secretly by her, in the hope that if and when Twilight returned, she would be there to receive her.

The great engineers and thinkers of Equestria converged upon the rocky terrain and worked diligently to create a city worthy of Celestia. To do so, however was to be a great challenge. They worked tirelessly raising beams of metal and moving tons of hardened rock. Their love for her and their country was so strong, that many would not rest or even eat at all. Some collapsed in the harsh environment, giving everything they could; only to be taken to makeshift infirmaries. Still others, in their blind devotion for the Princess; had to be eventually forced from their workstations by Equestrian Guardsmen, because they refused to leave.

After Two and a Half years of hard labor by thousands, The Princess finally came to christen this glorious place built in her honor. The people shouted and cheered as her processional flew over them and into the shining palace. All of the people were assembled and bowed towards her as she took her place on the grand balcony, overlooking them all. Celestia’s eyes widened as she deeply realized what a great responsibility to her people that was set before her. After a few deep breaths, she spoke.

“It is my royal decree that from this time forward, this great city shall be known as Canterlot. That Mares and Gentlecolts, Earth ponies and Pegasi, Unicorn and Alicorn shall forever walk its roads in peace and harmony! Long live Canterlot!!!”

“LONG LIVE CANTERLOT!!!” All the people shouted with great gladness. There were suddenly fireworks and cannon blasts. There was an endless stream of confetti and glitter that filled the air. Cheering and music! Laughter and joy! It was the most amazing sight that had ever been before in the land of Equestria.

(The day became to be celebrated annually with a grand ball gala, later known more generically as the “Grand Galloping Gala.”)

This was a wonderful day of celebration that shook Princess Celestia to her core. To endure so much, only to be loved by so many, seemed to be without just cause. Her eyes welled up with tears as she wished that her sister and father could be there by her side. The great wars were over that claimed so many thousands, and now there was only peace throughout all of Equestria. Yet, even in such mirth and happiness there was a part of Celestia that could not rest.

“Twilight…” Celestia whispered as she looked towards the sky. Even when she wielded the Harmony stones, she could understand Luna’s great pain. However, looking again upon the joyful people she knew that she had to rule for the good of all Equestria. What was done… was done. Nothing could change what had happened. She could only go forward with fresh hope and strict devotion to her faithful. With this thought held close, she found the inner strength to smile with a beaming glow at her people. This made everyone be filled with happiness and rejoice all the more, knowing that Canterlot had come to meet her approval.

Suddenly, they brought forth her throne from the chamber and sat it before her. Without hesitation, she took her place upon the throne of Equestria.

“LONG LIVE EQUESTRIA!” She shouted as she raised her arms high into the air. The sound that followed was to the point of almost deafness. The people rejoiced to the point of madness! After a few moments, the palace guard lifted the throne and began to carry it back into the chamber with Celestia regally sitting upon it. Each one of the armor-clad guardsmen lining the way drew their swords and relinquished them downward, kneeling in obeisance to their Princess. As the door shut behind them, the noise outside vibrated the massive stained glass windows throughout the Throne chamber. It continued for hours! Celestia wanted to return to the great balcony to once again greet the people, however she knew it would only cause pandemonium… as well as several broken windows.

When all of the celebration had finally come to a close, with the land filled with the night sky; she could only find herself wandering to the place. She could only look patiently in the darkened quiet. “The place” was once the inner room where Starswirl used his great magic to catch away Twilight Sparkle to a time of safety. That room along with the rest of the old hovel became the marbled inner court of Canterlot palace, by order of Princess Celestia. That is why out of all of the fine places throughout Equestria to build a city, Canterlot was built into the side of an unforgiving, craggy mountain.

The court, with its grandeur; was also partly made into a tranquil garden of serenity. And in the approximate location of the former room where Twilight disappeared, there was a large basin covered with jewels. The excuse made by Celestia for the strange vessel, was for it to be a place for Equestrian songbirds to roost. However, it was actually put there in hopes of catching Twilight in the air without harm. Even while there was massive construction, Aunt Celestia would come to this place. She would do it every morning at the same time that the spell was originally cast; hoping one day for Twilight’s reappearance.

“I will never stop waiting… I will never stop seeking, Luna.” She softly spoke as she stared at the encrusted basin. “I promise that I will find her… and you will be reunited! I PROMISE!” she pleaded with passion staring at the Equestrian moon, as tears dropped from her eyes.

“Even if… it takes centuries.”