• Published 24th Jun 2015
  • 1,148 Views, 0 Comments

The Half of It - Shapeshift



Shapeshift doesn't remember the changeling attack on Canterlot or why he drank his experimental potion, but when a major effort to integrate changelings comes about he sees a significant opportunity for answers.

  • ...
2
 0
 1,148

Chapter 2: Progress

It was a few mere weeks after the dream with Luna that I got my shape-shifting reasonably functional. I was working on it before the dream and it helped that I joined a research team working on understanding changeling shape-shifting for a week or so. But upon casting it the first time I found that, depending on how much I changed my body, I would be met with a certain amount of pain for the duration of the transformation process. I fixed this by quickly adding a full body anesthetic effect, though I continued to work on it to make it more combat feasible.

Another spell I obtained was the changeling disguise dispel through my profession's perks. My access to those counter spells, and the documented changeling spells, were meant for ponies in my profession and a few others to help create various counter measures against infiltrators. So it should come as no surprise that, upon hearing that every researcher will get the disguise dispel cast on them every time they enter the research area, I decided to leave the job. Because of that, the Guard required that I get said spell cast on me, but it didn't dispel my disguise because all the vital portions of its composition and then some had to be modified for me to use it.

On Thursday I did my usual potion brewing requests at home and some more changeling spell examination and experimenting, which became one of my hobbies, and I took Frost to the park for some time.

He usually finds a place to perch or lay on while enjoying the park's scenery and sun, away from anything noisy. He'll occasionally chase something flying, but pretty much nothing else. I usually just read a book while keeping my eye on him. As for other ponies, the ones who frequent the park pay him no mind, though we'll occasionally get odd glances. The latter of which I find amusing.

After Frost and I got back to Stoneneigh, our apartment complex, I gave him some food and made something for myself, then went back to my experiments. After the sun set, I left to meet up with a friend of mine at Doughnut Joe's.

When I arrived, I didn't see my earth pony friend Class Act anywhere.

While I waited I decided to field test a pony spell I was working on while I was sitting at one of the two-pony tables adjacent to the wall. Upon casting it, my eyes subtly flashed light green, then certain things in my cone of vision were highlighted the same color. The intended effect was for the user to know what things were currently affected by any changeling magic by seeing said things with a highlighting tint over them that only the user sees. Though at the time I only knew that it worked specifically with my changeling telekinesis and shape-shifting in my lab tests. I needed to know for sure if it at least detected the same spells cast by any changeling.

Undisguised changeling's pastry being levitated is highlighted, other changeling that shape-shifted for his friends is now highlighted. Pretty rare to see two changelings in even the same block, so I'm lucky for that. Even some things in my cone of vision that are behind larger obstructions are highlighted as well. The last thing isn't particularly something I had in mind, but it's a more than welcome feature with obvious benefits. I'm a bit surprised that there aren't any-

Just then, Class Act came in. He was tinted green from my spell.

He usually wears something subtle to show his nobility when he's not working, though it's never a hat of any sort. His coat is white and his mane is black and usually in a strictly professional style, kind of like Harsh Winny's. Though he doesn't like her business demeanor and describes it as "Something that, given only a few hours, will make you desperate enough to contemplate attempting a lobotomy on yourself with a plastic knife." Anyways, he lets his mane go a bit and usually doesn't wear anything extremely fancy when he's not working or dealing with other nobles.

Wait, what?! That can't be right... Unless he's been replaced or he's been a changeling all along. I have to find out what's going on here if I want to know for sure that the spell's functioning perfectly and that Act isn't in any trouble!

The might-be-Act approached me with a smile and said "Hey! How's everything going?", while he took the other seat.

The right emotions touched my senses, so I reclined into my seat all the way, though given that this might not be Act I was a bit hesitant about doing so. "Nothing particularly interesting is going on with me. Just the usual potion requests getting filled and examining changeling infiltrator spells. Anything going on with you?"

Act sat down on the other chair at the table.

Strange. It didn't look like I even got a single micro expression or unexpected emotion out of him with the last part.

"Nothing much with me. Just examining a few laws that were passed specifically to keep any changeling under Equestrian law from committing things like espionage. Want to also make sure that one or more of the nobles haven't successfully sneaked something devious in." he said matter-of-factly. "Though I am expecting to eventually see at least one of the nobles getting hit with a class action lawsuit involving changeling discrimination. Or at least cases that are more personal in nature."

I gave him a skeptical look and said "I don't think that there will be something that bad, but I won't be surprised if there will be individual cases. I know that there were occasional personal accusations of that sort a long time ago made by griffins. Considering they never tried any kind of major hostile takeover, I'd pretty much expect the same but more frequent with the changelings."

"Well, you know me."

I rolled my eyes with a smile. Cynical as always. "Let's get something to eat."

So we went to the counter to order and I let Act go first.

So far he seems to be giving off the expected emotions and acting like he always does. If my spell is functioning the way it's supposed to, then he's probably been an infiltrator all along... And easily one of the better ones. If he's actually friendly, I may be able to get him to train me for infiltration, but I'll have to follow him to confirm all this.

"And for you, Shape?", Joe said.

"Mmm...eh." I shrugged. "The usual."

He trotted over to the doughnuts to take some. "Alright, a jelly filled, a creme filled, and a glazed sour creme cake."

He then came back with said pastries and said "Sometimes I wonder how you stay that thin eating that many deserts." He said with an amused smile, while I got out the bits to pay.

I said, "Probably just a fast metabolism."

"I wish I still had that. Anyways, enjoy."

I trotted back to the table where Act was sitting and we talked in between bites. It was only after finishing my food that I finally noticed something that might be a bit off about Act.

"Oh, I forgot to mention something. There was some news that some jewelery given as a gift may have been enchanted with a persuasion assisting spell of some sort by a changeling." Act said, then stole a glace at some ponies that trotted in the bakery that very second. "Though the pony that was given the gift may or may not have been paranoid, or something similar, and the gift hasn't been fully examined. It made me realize that there's always the possibility of the same thing happening with me." Act took another bite of his glazed doughnut.

My face lit up with excitement. "I've been examining changeling spells since the attack, so you could bring things to me so I can examine them for malicious enchantments. It's not too hard for me and I like doing it anyways. I might even be able to find changeling spells that ponies haven't found yet!"

Act's face lit up as well. "Ah, good! I was hopping you'd do it for me. I’d be paying you, of course."

I noticed his eyes stealing another look, this time at a group that was leaving as they went through the door. I always have a good idea who he's taking glances at when I notice it because they're usually at least a bit unusual. Though this was the second time tonight that I noticed him doing it with completely normal ponies, so I took a glance myself. It wasn't to specifically look at the ponies, but the general picture of his line of sight, which seemed to include both changelings in the bakery.

Why would he want to keep tabs on those changelings? Given his discovery of that news, it could just be lingering paranoia, but he could be using that news to confuse others about the real source of it. He could also not really be paranoid at all and just acting it out to keep his alter ego's appearance looking and feeling real. Then again, changelings living peacefully with ponies is still more than just a bit odd, but why try to hide those glances from everyone, including me?

If the best lies are the ones that are true, I could try finding out by asking the right questions. All the answers could need are a switch in context to reveal the complete truth.

Act raised an eyebrow slightly. "So what are you thinking about?"

"Oh, uh, sorry. Just thinking about what tools I don't have to do it."

“The enchantment analyzing?”

"Yeah, I'll need to talk with Cordial about getting the more special tools for that soon. I'm sure he'll know a pony that sells that kind of stuff. After all, I like to say that he's the Pinkie Pie of business relations."

"Really? Sounds like a stallion I'd like to meet. I have many business ideas but, as I'm sure you know, most require an advanced understanding of specific magic subclasses and physical mechanics. Hopefully he at least knows some ponies that can cast or create physically responsive illumination spells. With that, I could soon give Celestia or Luna a nice show of what my idea is!"

I gave a knowing smile "And if you're thinking what I think you are, then both would definitely want to give it a try in one way or another."

"Especially since Fancy Pants thinks the idea is 'a superb display of both form and function'. You know how influential he is with the nobles." He then gave another glance at a group exiting the bakery while taking a bite of his doughnut.

Considering the suspicious glances that he's doing, and everything else, I'd say that it's a safe bet that he's a changeling. Though I still want solid proof, so I'll need to follow him a few times.

I realized how late it was when I looked at the dining area's clock, then stated "It's getting a bit late for me. I need to head home to work on my experimental transformation potion." as I got up to leave.

"Oh! How's it coming along?" Act asked as he got up to walk out as well.

I shrugged as we made our way out, "Slow as usual, but I seem to have made no progress in the past week. I've done lots more research for it, but nothing I'm finding seems to help yet."

We both stopped outside the establishment and Act showed a small frown. "Oh, well that's disappointing. Anyways, I should head out as well. I've unfortunately got a bit too much work to do to spend literally all night fulfilling social obligations. Same time next week, as usual?"

"Yup. See you again soon!"

"Alright. Bu-bye!"

We both made our separate ways home. Or at least that's what I wanted Act to think.

I started going my usual route at first, but once I was sure he wouldn't come looking for me for some reason, I started making my way to Act's usual route home. At the same time I was looking for a discrete place to change into a disguise.

I've been told by Act long ago that the way the Guard follows targets with non pegasi is that they go about it in a team of at least five. Each one takes turns following the target in a round robin manner, with each pony's turn lasting up to 2 or 3 blocks, while the others discretely prepare to switch places at as many possible points on the target's route as the team can.

I'm not multiple ponies, so I can't be in two places at once. But I can still give the illusion that I'm more than one with my shape-shifting. The problem is if he deviates from his usual route, which I don't find likely, I'll have to somehow predict his next move well enough.

I then spotted a rather large box just sitting out in front of a shop. It looked like I could fit, so after checking that it was empty, I picked it up with my foreleg and took it with me. I eventually found an alley with no windows, so I set the box down, climbed inside, and changed into a larger, older body with colors that were a bit less bright and a more classy mane.

With the box still with me, I picked up the pace to catch up with Act, and I soon found him three blocks west from me. It looked like he was still on his usual route home, so for the first two blocks I walked west, so that if he was still on his usual route, I'd see him one block north of me. I saw him there and while I was going north, he took the usual road that cuts northeast through the next block. Next I opted to go east one block. After that, I didn't see him at the intersection north of mine, but I expected that, so I went half a block north to go east through an alleyway.

He should have been going one block east after the diagonal cut through the block. Right now he's probably about to go through the second northeast cut, if he's still on the usual route.

While I was there I set the box up and changed disguises. I knew I was falling behind, so I switched to a young, muscular adult build, with blue fur, a purple buzz-cut mane, and a dumbbell cutie mark.

When I exited the alleyway with the box, I started a light gallop north to the next intersection to catch up. I was able to see Act near the end of the block's cut, so I assumed that he still didn't and hopefully won't deviate from his path. I kept the pace up while still heading north until I was in front of his house. I also spotted Act again, while turning into the southeast cut in the block to the east of me.

I soon discovered that, unfortunately, it wasn't quite the right move because my quick search of a place to change on the block turned up nothing. So I ended up going south on the road just to turn west, then north one block later through another diagonal cut. Though this one had an alleyway, so I went into it.

I need a spot that can't be seen from- I should've gotten rid of the box after the first time Act saw me with it! Now he might think that he's being followed by a changeling!

I set the box up between two short walls after climbing over one and changed into a older, thin adult unicorn build, with brown fur, a green mane, and a gardening spade cutie mark. Then I realized that it might be better to change into a thin little filly instead. So I did and got rid of the cutie mark.

I've changed into a colt before, which felt strange. But swapping genders? This is just the weirdest thing I've ever experienced. It's like I'm out of place! How long does it take a changeling to completely get used to this?

After I was able to sufficiently ignore the weird feeling of being female at the time, I started thinking up a plan.

If I act like a lost filly, I could gain entrance to his house. Though it wouldn't have much of a point if he knows someone's in his house, and he'll probably just hand me over to the Guard because they have records on where ponies live.

...But if we encounter a guard on the way to the castle, he'll hand me over to them and I can try to sneak away from the Guard shortly after, so that I can gain a more stealthy entrance to Act's house as long as he doesn't get back before me. I do have a key to his house, so it won't be hard to find one. Unfortunately, there's a risk that we won't find a Guard before getting to the castle, but it is more likely that we'll find one at night. There's also the risk that I may not be able to sneak away from the Guard he hands me over to.

I couldn't think of another plan at the time, so I mulled over it for a few minutes and ended up going with it. I then climbed out of the box and left it there, to trot towards Act's house.

When I got there I went up to the door, knocked on it, and took a few steps back. Shortly after, Act answered it with a surprised look. I used my nervousness as an advantage.

"C-can you help me find my mommy? I'm lost and I don't know my way home."

Act gave me a slightly puzzled look, sighed and said, "I think it would be best if I escorted you to the castle so the Guard can find out where you live and take you home, alright?"

"O-okay."

He trotted out, locked the door behind him, then said, "You look a bit tired. Do you want to ride on my back?"

I gave a shy "Yes, please", and climbed on.

A few minutes later I grew less nervous and we found a unicorn Guard patrolling the streets.

Act approached her, saying "Excuse me, this little filly is lost and can't find her home. We're hopping you can look though your residential information at the castle to find it for her."

"Oh, yes. We can do that. Follow me."

"Actually, I need to get back home. I'm very busy right now."

"Okay", the guard turned toward me and said in a sweet voice, "Would you like to come with me... What's your name?"

A name!? I didn't even think about that!

"Uh, Ditch... Digger."

I hint of amusement and surprise came up from the Guard, but concern was still obviously at her forefront. Act had the same reaction, but with a bit of suspicion instead of amusement.

"Alright, Ditch, if you get on my back, we can find your home and get you there in no time!"

I got on the Guard's back without saying anything and we started making our way to the castle, while she quietly muttered something about bad parenting. Though my guard's attention was grabbed shortly after we begun because an out of sight mare and a stallion sounded like they were arguing over something serious. When we got close enough I heard two ponies with a Trottingham accent. "Gold! Nopony has seen this horrifying enchantment since the reign of Discord over a thousand years ago! You have to let me fix it!"

"No, it's how I like it!"

"How you like it!? It's practically cursed! If this was an equine, I'd bury it alive!"

When we got in view, the earth pony stallion was holding a necklace and the unicorn had what I knew were enchanting supplies.

The stallion facehoofed and simply said "I just want an extreme temperature ward added."

The mare threw her hooves up. "It already has one that does that!" Then pointed to something on a large paper. "It's the same one that turns you into a snow pony for 5 hours afterwords and I can't undo that one or all the other enchantments get undone and the necklace gets destroyed!"

"That only sometimes happens. But what about that, the G looking thing. That's the shape for the fire magic."

"I think I- the shape for the fire magic?!"

My guard approached the two, took me off of his back, and said "Hey!" which got their attention. "Can you please keep it down? This is a residential area and it's late, so ponies are trying to sleep. Why are you even doing this outside?"

The mare then gathered up her supplies with an irritated look and said, "You know what, Gold? If you want to trot around with a necklace created by Discord himself, that's fine by me!" Then she walked away saying, "It won't be my problem!"

After he turned his head to the guard, the stallion said, "Sorry about that. I should actually be asleep right now."

I started slowly backing up, being careful that the stallion wouldn't remind my Guard of what she's supposed to be doing. Though I wasn't looking behind me much, so I didn't know where the closest turn in my available paths were immediately.

"Yes, well, at the risk of sounding like your mother, just try to keep it down."

I picked up my pace a bit and my heart was starting to race.

This'll probably be my only distraction to use!

I took a quick look around the area while the stallion said "Yes, mam."

That window looks big enough for me to fit through. But I need to get to Act's house quickly, so hiding isn't an option. I need to get to the closest corner and round it so I can move faster without them hearing me.

I opted to just round the street corner and tried silently galloping away.

The guard didn't notice for some time as I heard her say "Good, now if you don't mind me asking, what was that all about?", before I was too far away and rounded another street corner, galloping at full speed by then.

I need a faster form, but I can't change much or I'll get caught. I could try an adult form, but that's not very small. I want to stay this way for stealth when I'm back at Act's, so I'd have to change an extra time. But I didn't make this form particularly athletic, so I think it's best that I just buff it up, to keep from doing extra transformations.

So I ended up changing in a discretely placed trashcan, then continuing my marathon back to Act's house.

When I got there I opened the side gate to the backyard as quietly as I could, then sneaked next to hedges, brushes, and fences to get to the back door with minimal risk. While he doesn't keep any keys hidden anywhere outside, he did give one to me, which I keep on me as often as my own apartment key. So I took it out, and unlocked the door. But a thought occurred to me before I opened it.

Wait, no! What am I doing? This is his house, he trusts me with this key! I know of nothing that he's done to deserve someone invading his home!

So I locked the door and went out the way I came, just in time to see Act trotting up to the front door. My fear and panic spiked while I dove into a bush, at least one emotion bringing the attention of Act to me. He immediately turned his head to look in my direction. Fortunately, he seemed to chalk it up to being an animal, because he didn't do much more than stare at the spot I was previously in and the bush for a few seconds. Though I could feel suspicion from him, so I made sure to not make any noise he could hear from inside of the house as I sneaked off the property.

Once I was about half way home, I ended up shape-shifting back to my default disguise in a large dumpster because I couldn't find anywhere else to do it. So I ended up coming home very tired, stinky, and disappointed.

But Frost didn't care about the smell much because when I entered, he let out what I'd describe as a raspy bark-howl. This is how he usually gets my attention, and it's generally a lynx's version of a typical house cat's meow.

Anyways, I was too tired to care about a shower that night, so I went right to bed and planned to shower and wash my sheets tomorrow.

Shortly after I got settled in, Frost decided to jump up and sit parallel to me with his face looking at mine, purring a bit. With a bit of an apologetic tone I said "Sorry buddy, but I've been up for far too long as it is. No petting this time."

So after a bit he decided to lie on my lower back, and I thought about some things while waiting for sleep to come.

I hope Act's at least not with the hive. It'd be a lot harder to deal with turning him in to the Guard. But considering how he's always given me advice on handling other's emotions and occasional tips on hiding in plain sight, which I naturally do anyways, he may have been trying to subtly tell me that he is one. So he probably sees something in me that tells him that he can trust me, but what is it? If he's not part of the hive anymore, then I may be right. If he is, which I doubt, then I've got no idea.