• Published 24th Jun 2015
  • 1,148 Views, 0 Comments

The Half of It - Shapeshift



Shapeshift doesn't remember the changeling attack on Canterlot or why he drank his experimental potion, but when a major effort to integrate changelings comes about he sees a significant opportunity for answers.

  • ...
2
 0
 1,148

Chapter 17: The Obligation

The following day, after my morning routine, I was practicing spells. Finally being good at casting the fire-portal spell was a fantastic realization, while I learned that my magic power output under the required concentration for the polymorphic spell was limiting me to species that were only within the same family of the target. In my case, anything under the equidae family, which included horses, donkeys, and zebras. It wasn’t much, but it was a start.

Then at some time close to noon I left the apartment, discretely changed disguises, and went through my usual routine to sneak into the negotiations. Upon arriving at the Solstice Hall as a fly, the door was open and I could hear Chrysalis talking.

“So you’re counting on her being careless enough to walk right into your hooves? And here I was thinking Celestia was the naive one. All Chittri needs to do is impersonate a pony and laugh as you stare at a bunch of empty houses.”

Another changeling then spoke up. “An impersonation requires much more than a physical disguise. That will only fool the most casual of acquaintances. Acquiring the knowledge necessary to convincingly impersonate a target at any length can take days, if not weeks.”

Even if I wasn’t in the room before he was done talking, I could have easily guessed that it was Nictis, given the knowledge on the subject at hoof. Landing on a spot on the wall, I could see both Chrysalis’s and Celestia’s face as Nictis continued talking.

"The difficulty is even greater when those around the target are aware of the possibility of impersonation. Between the actions of your impersonation, the news of the murder of a changeling Infiltrator, and the knowledge that the rogue changeling responsible remains free, the possibility is likely to be at the front of everypony’s minds.”

Celestia picked up with, “Which also stresses the importance of resolving this quickly. Paranoia can produce terrible things.”

Making a derisive snort, Chrysalis said, “Oh, yes, don’t want to scare your poor little ponies,” then gave Celestia a smile, despite being displeased to say the least. “Though if this is your hope, maybe they should be scared. You couldn’t even sniff out an imposter when I was right under your nose.”

Nictis was clearly unamused and unimpressed. “When ponies had no idea changelings existed,” he retorted. “And I should note that the flaws in your impersonation inevitably led to your discovery. Chittri will be faced with all of the disadvantages, yet none of the advantages.” As Nictis continued, an eagerness started emitting from Celestia. “I wouldn’t say it’s impossible for her to find some safe haven, but the odds are stacked greatly against her. If she is in any way competent, she must know this.”

Why do they want Chittri? She better not have broken our agreement!

Celestia then cheerfully followed up. “Which is why we must press this advantage. Her options are running out, so we will present her a new option. We would like you to contact her, and offer her leniency in exchange for turning herself in.”

So it was no surprise to me when Chrysalis spat back with, “Never.”

Celestia was just as disappointed in Chrysalis as I was while she shook her head. “The offer is nothing more than you have already promised, Queen Chrysalis. I know you desire a far worse outcome for her than we will permit. All I am asking of you is to inform her of the arrangement we have already made.”

Chrysalis had to think on it for one long moment, her acceptance slowly winning over her contempt until she turned her head away and snorted. “Oh, fine. It’s still pointless.” Raising her head, she lit her horn to cast the spell.

For many seconds nothing happened, as I wished I could cast my detection spell to know what it looked like.

As her magic started to fade, she turned back to Celestia. “And she’s still not answering. Congratulations, Celestia, you’ve wasted a little bit more of my time and magic.”

So it probably was a communication spell I saw!

Celestia was a little more bothered about the attempt’s outcome than she looked, though she still responded with a casual shrug. “It was worth a try.”

Subtle, Equestria’s spymaster, was attentive to the small crystals in her hoof, which for some reason disappointed her after the spell. She looked to Sky, who was already looking at her, and shook her head.

Chrysalis rolled her eyes as she said, “Funny how all your clever ideas are ‘worth a try’ when they all end up failing.”

I don’t see you doing any better.

Celestia replied with more diplomacy than my own thoughts as she said, “You’re welcome to offer suggestions, though I expect it’s all going to be moot soon enough.”

“You want my ideas?" Chrysalis said with a carnivorous grin.

Are yours anything like, “Take the city and move it somewhere else”?

“Stop wasting time with these soft-hearted tactics. Take your guards, and sweep through this whole forsaken little city you love so much. March from one side of the city to the other, check every nook and crevice, every pony, and keep going until you’ve scoured the whole place clean.”

Too slow. She may even be able to avoid it without fire-portaling.

I could sense Nictis’s amusement grow as she said this, and he killed her idea with, “To find a foe who can fire-portal to avoid a slow, predictable advance like that.”

“Oh, please,” Chrysalis sassed. “I know you’ve been tracking my communication spell. Are you really going to claim you can do that, but you can’t track a fire-portal as it’s being cast?”

Not without my spells, so you were lucky I'm not explicitly helping.

“Assuming she portals somewhere we can catch her,” Nictis coolly responded, as Chrysalis became evermore frustrated. “She could go outside the city, and fly off before we arrive, or into a previously cleared neighborhood, and take up a pony guise.”

Nictis’s words were pushing Chrysalis over the edge. “Then round up everypony in the area! This isn’t that complicated!”

It was then that somebody tapped on the door.

Fleur De Lis was standing in the doorway, a barely embarrassed smile on her face. While setting her hoof back down, she said, “Is this a bad time?”

Celestia made it less awkward with a confident, kind smile. “Ah, Fleur de Lis. A pleasure to see you again, and I am glad to see you in good health, but I’m afraid we are a bit preoccupied. I’m sorry, I had told Miss Primrose to hold all visitors until this evening--”

“Unless it were particularly important, yes,” Fleur replied with a similar smile. “And I believe it is.”

“Is that so?” Celestia said, as she cocked an eyebrow.

With the grace of royalty, Fleur entered the room, keeping her distance from Chrysalis. Seeing as the queen snapped just moments before, I couldn’t blame her.

“Indeed,” Fleur said. “While I may have become a bit more deeply involved in certain events than I would have preferred, I believe I may be able to offer some measure of assistance, if you’d allow it.”

Celestia and I were a little suspicious of Fleur.

“Perhaps,” Celestia said, with an acknowledging nod. “What kind of assistance did you have in mind?”

Fleur’s demeanor completely changed in seconds. Her smile shifted to a serious expression as she took a deep breath, sighed, then closed her eyes as she bowed down as low as her nose and horn allowed. All the while her emotions directed at the ponies in the room moderately changed.

“I offer my life, loyalty, and service to Equestria and its Princesses, to be used in whatever manner you see fit.”

This is an infiltrator. Is it Chittri?

Several ponies in the room sprung up, though Celestia was not phased by this turn of events. “To begin with,” the princess said, “you may dispense with the disguise.”

Judging by the descriptions that ponies gave for how Chrysalis lets her disguise go, this infiltrator did it the same slow way starting from the hooves. As her disguise burned away, it became apparent that she was similar to what the real Fleur would look like as a changeling. A thin, tall body with a short and simple mane and tail, which were the same hue as Rainbow Dash’s coat, though many shades darker. Her legs had the holes that every changeling had, while her horn was shorter than Chrysalis’s yet it shared the same kind of jaggedness. All gorgeous in it’s own right.

Bingo.

Lighting up her horn, Chrysalis let out a hostile, “You!”

Yet Celestia didn’t look very angry at the Queen as she told her, “Chrysalis, stop. You will not strike her or anyone else within my kingdom. Equestria holds complete jurisdiction here; we have already agreed on this.”

Chrysalis continued her intense gaze, looking as though she was seriously considering the option of defying the agreement. Though after several seconds, she stopped her magic and gave Celestia a look of contempt. “And just what do you plan on doing with this filth?” she harshly exclaimed.

“I will ask her to explain herself,” Celestia evenly said, “and then we shall decide.”

I’d like an explanation as well.

“More weak-willed nonsense,” Chrysalis said in a threatening tone. “Just be warned, Princess. If you decide to offer some mockery of justice, the hive will not forget the insult.”

She was obviously angry at Celestia and Chittri, but there was something the others didn’t seem to realize. Even though the Queen was happy to finally have Chittri in her grasp again, my sixth sense told me she was uneasy with her and, to a lesser extent, Celestia. I wasn’t surprised about it, given current events, but I thought she might have been a little too uneasy.

As for Celestia’s next move, she faced Chittri again, who was being awkwardly still to the point that her eyes were still closed.

After Celestia said, “Rise," the changeling princess did so with the same grace that any Equestrian princess would have in formal company. Once she opened her real eyes to Celestia, I realized something.

Part of the green, fiery passion in her eyes was her determination to do what she knew had to be done. Chrysalis likely dismissed the truth that I gave some of the infiltrators as readily as any other case, but when Chittri came to Canterlot, she took it as an opportunity.

As sure as I was spreading the truth to the infiltrators, Chittri was trying to find it.

Now the Princess stood before Celestia with a calm, friendly face that I could never imagine the Queen having. One that told me her quest was finally near a rightful end.

With the look that Celestia was giving her, I could imagine she was making her own analysis, until she spoke again. “I assume you are Princess Chittri, then?”

“I am,” was all she responded with.

As Celestia put her wings away, she said “You have led us on quite a chase. You have betrayed your sovereign, assaulted several of our subjects, and put the peace we have been working toward in jeopardy.”

“I have,” Chittri said with a neutral tone.

Did she lie to me!?

Celestia simply asked, “Why?”

The changeling princess conveyed a certain confidence as she vaguely responded with, “For many reasons. Each act had its own reason behind it, which I felt, at the time, justified my actions.”

For your sake you better have treaded carefully.

This prompted Chrysalis to cut in with a foreboding, “You can’t justify treason”.

Giving a correctional look to Chrysalis, then back to Chittri, Celestia asked, “And what were those reasons?”

Chittri stood there in thought for some time before providing a response.

“My Infiltrators had told me much of Equestria’s treatment of changelings. We had mostly dismissed it as a trick, as Queen Chrysalis had declared it, but the evidence continued to mount. The idea that we might have a mistaken image of a population we were so deeply involved with infiltrating disturbed me. It was dangerous to our Infiltrators, and also very intriguing for its implications. I brought up these concerns with Queen Chrysalis, but she dismissed them out-of-hoof. I accepted her conclusion, but the reports continued to come in.”

I knew it.

“I was pleased when she declared that I would accompany her to Canterlot. My excursions among ponies had been limited in scope before then. Never before had I the opportunity to conduct such an extensive infiltration of an urban center. I hoped that, here in the heart of your kingdom, I might be able to get a better understanding of things. I carried out Queen Chrysalis’s orders, but I also conducted my own operations. For that, I must admit one additional crime committed of my own volition that you did not mention: the abduction and impersonation of Fleur de Lis.”

My respect for you grows by the minute now.

Celestia nodded in acknowledgment.

“I gathered data for several days, all of it seemingly confirming the reports I had received. I found Fleur de Lis’s mate to be particularly intriguing. I made cautious attempts to further Queen Chrysalis’s goal of increasing tensions through him--” Chrysalis bristled, baring her teeth “--but even though his love for Fleur was intense, even the most gentle of attempts pained him.

That’s going to cost you some.

“I may have been able to doubt the reports of Infiltrators interpreting events that I was not present for, but I could see for certain that this was no trick. I informed Queen Chrysalis of my analysis, but she dismissed it as readily as we had both dismissed the reports of my Infiltrators. It left me uncertain of how to proceed.”

Chittri’s eyes finally left Celestia and shifted over to Nictis. “I’m sure I don’t need to tell you how hard it can be to accept that what you’ve been taught your whole life is nothing but a lie.”

Nictis remained stoic at that, though for just a moment my sixth sense told me a great deal that filled the gaps in my knowledge of him. He may have been lied to for years, but after everything he’s gone through, he was glad to finally know the truth, find Sky, and fix his relationship with Spark Wheel. And he wouldn’t have it any other way.

The changeling princess brought her attention back to Celestia. “So I continued to investigate, putting aside the assumptions taught in the hive. I acquired a better view on the nature of ponies than I ever had before. Unfortunately, Queen Chrysalis’s plans called for a premature end to those investigations.”

She halted for a moment, a bit of apprehension and pensiveness touching my emotional sense, then went on again.

“We had discussed many plans before coming to Canterlot. There were many secondary and emergency plans, to account for any possibility. One was a measure of last resort.”

At this, Chrysalis increased from uneasy with Chittri and Celestia, to fearful, while becoming considerably more angry at Chittri as she continued.

“Queen Chrysalis would arrange to recall her Infiltrators from the city of Canterlot and bring them to the castle, as a sign of peace. Once there, we would strike from within, using shock and confusion to capture or eliminate the princesses and any other ponies of authority.”

And that may cost you more of my respect.

As Chrysalis’s horn suddenly lit up, she just as suddenly yelled, “That is enough!”

Though whatever she was going to do was interrupted by Celestia moving between the two, eliciting a flinch from the Queen. “That is enough,” Celestia said, calm as ever. “The knowledge that you sought to bring us harm is hardly news, yet we have still been willing to negotiate with you. If you can not calm yourself, then we will have to remove you from this room until we have finished.”

Stopping her horn, Chrysalis once again gave Celestia a displeased look as she said, “We’ll see, Princess.”

As Celestia turned back to Chittri, Chrysalis’s feeling of submission towards Celestia was high, though her aggression was as well. So as the Queen stared at the back of Celestia’s head, I knew she had a dangerously high urge to attack her. Thankfully, Luna read her like an open book and kept a vigilant eye on her, ready to protect her sister in a split second. Yet she had a small smile and an eagerness towards Chrysalis, as though she wanted the Queen to do it so she could have the excuse to, perhaps, beat her into some kind of submission.

As Celestia gave Chittri a nod, I could sense the changeling princess’s fear of Chrysalis lower significantly. Without my sixth sense I wouldn’t have likely noticed it.

Taking the nod as her cue, Chittri continued. “It was a risky plan. We knew even before coming here that it was a plan of last resort. It would take days for our army to arrive in force, and we would be attacking a foe that was alert and aware of our presence. After my time here in the city, observing ponies, I recognized that it would be completely futile. Even if we were to take out all four princesses, I suspected it would not be enough to break Equestria.”

Here, I felt the princess’s guilt, however small it seemed to be, for her actions.

“When Queen Chrysalis gave the command to bring every changeling in the city to her, I believed she intended to carry out that plan. I voiced my concerns, but she curtly dismissed them, and refused to answer when I inquired as to her intentions. I believed she was about to take us down a path that would likely end in our destruction.”

Chittri then faced Chrysalis, bowing to her. “I misjudged you and your intentions. For that, I apologize.”

Chrysalis disregarded her with a snort, and rudely faced away in contempt.

Her guilt grew a bit, but as disappointed as she was with the Queen’s reaction, it went back down and she faced Celestia again to continue. “I drew my most trusted Infiltrators to me, ones who had all started seeing the truth. I wanted to be absolutely certain, so I set out to gather more information. I had to know for sure if ponies were really as willing to accept changelings as they seemed. And so, I attacked your subjects.”

What did you do!?

Chittri then bowed again as she said, “I did not intend them harm, though I had to make it appear as if I did. It was not their pain I sought, but their reaction.”

But were they harmed?

Celestia made a small frown and I could sense her dislike for Chittri’s methods, yet she said nothing.

Chittri stood back up and resumed her explanations. “I started with Rainbow Dash and… Sky.” Here, she emitted some admiration for Rainbow Dash and seemed to give a small smile of approval. “Rainbow Dash is held up by some as an exemplar of loyalty, and I wished to test how far that loyalty extended.”

“You could have asked,” Dash blurted out. “You know, instead of throwing a freaking table at us!”

You better have a good reason for that!

“My apologies,” Chittri said. “Fear has a way of showing one’s true self. I know anyone can put on an act, but when you force someone to react on instinct, you strip away the layers of logic and conscious decision, and we can see the reality of what lies beneath.” Here, her smile from before came back. “And what I saw was a pony who threw herself in harm’s way to protect a changeling she cared for.”

Acceptable enough for me.

Even though Rainbow gave Chittri an angry look, I could sense her embarrassment as she nervously moved her wings. “Yeah, so what? I’d do the same for any of my friends.”

Chittri finally gave a full smile. “And that speaks even more to the quality of your character.”

As Rainbow sat there looking at her, she looked as though she didn’t know how to feel about it. She simply didn’t do anything else.

Chittri’s smile significantly faded before she spoke again. “Next was Spark and Nictis,” Chittri said, her smile lingering faintly. “I had to get close, to see just how true their relationship was. They have had a tumultuous past, but I could see they both care profoundly for each other. And I saw that, when threatened, they both tried to protect the other in their own way. Despite the pain they’ve experienced, they are still willing to trust each other.”

Nictis didn’t move at that at all, and I had a hard time determining how he felt about the princess’s words. He didn’t seem angry at her for what she did, just irritated. On the other hoof, the reminder of that event, in retrospect, was likely what gave him hope.

“And while I wouldn’t count Fleur de Lis and Fancy Pants’s reunion to be an attack, it is of a similar vein. After impersonating her for a week, I wished to see how their reunion went. I was not disappointed.”

It was just a small surprise to me when Celestia nodded with just a tiny bit of approval. “You seem to have had good intentions for much of what you’ve done, but you have still caused quite a bit of harm through your actions, harm that could have easily been avoided. There’s also the matter of what happened to Sapphire.”

Who’s Sapphire, and why does Chrysalis’s fear rise at that name?

Chittri’s smile was completely wiped off her face by that and replaced with a bit of sadness as she said, “Sapphire… was my fault.” Here she put on a neutral face yet again. “But I did not kill him. He was struck down by a changeling named Gloom, who I slew in turn.”

Doing the wrong thing for the right reasons doesn't make it right. I should know.

I noticed that at the mention of Gloom, Chrysalis became alarmed, though I didn’t need my sixth sense to know that, as it was obvious to anyone in the room.

Celestia asked, “Who was Gloom,” Celestia asked, “and why did he kill Sapphire?”

As Chittri answered the question, Chrysalis’s feelings towards Chittri went to an all time high of rage in a heartbeat. She seemed more likely to strike her down than simply strike Celestia. “He was one of three specially trained assassins. Eclipse, Umbra, and Gloom. They were one of Queen Chrysalis’s contingency plans, in the event that the hive and Equestria were to engage in hostilities. Each one was trained to assassinate a specific pony: the Princesses Celestia, Luna, and Twilight Sparkle, respectively.”

Nearly everybody in the room gave Chrysalis the coldest glare I saw in months, and it was obvious to her. “Oh, what? So I had backup plans. It’s not like you didn’t have plans for getting rid of me, as you’ve made a point of reminding me so many times!”

Cadance reacted with a quiet snort, and a flat glare at Chrysalis. “I’m not sure if I should be relieved or insulted to not be included on that list, but both of those are probably expecting too much of you.”

Chrysalis returned the gesture with a sneer. “Oh, don’t you worry, Princess. I was planning on dealing with you myself.”

Sounding like an exasperated mother, Celestia said, “Chrysalis, stop it. It’s no surprise that you would stoop to such low measures, though I should stress that our peace agreement will demand the end of any such plotting.”

“Of course,” Chrysalis said, with an angry tone.

“What I want to know now, is why your assassins have killed someone here in my city,” Celestia said with a slight anger in her voice.

Chrysalis said “As would I,” before giving Chittri an angry glare. “Because I sure as tartarus didn’t authorize them to leave the hive!”

Chittri coolly replied with, “And that is one of the multiple reasons I have come here today,” while I sensed her worry. Yet she had a confidence about her. One that told me she had a plan.

“Go on,” Celestia somberly said.

Chittri bowed to Celestia once more. “First, I came to offer myself up in atonement for the mistakes I have made. I was sincere in my pledge to you, Princess Celestia. I will serve you in any way you desire, and accept any punishment you should offer. I do this not out of hope for mercy, but with the hope that I can repair any damage I have caused to the hive and Equestria through my actions.”

I can admire that.

Looking back up to face Celestia, she explained further. “My second reason is because of the growing difficulty of remaining hidden. Every action I took resulted in two more options being closed to me. You had a very clever pony stalking my every move.” She gave a smile, small but sly. “Perhaps when we’re done with this, you could allow me to talk with them somewhere private? I think it would be quite interesting to sit down and discuss the opposing sides of our little engagement over a friendly cup of tea.”

Subtle Tea, Equestria’s spymaster, who was sitting near the back wall, suddenly became both nervous and excited at the same time. She seemed conflicted on such an opportunity, and her face showed it as well, though her excitement seemed to be winning over.

Hah!

“And the third reason is the same reason that the assassins had come here,” the changeling princess explained. “Gloom did not come here to kill me, or my Infiltrators. He came expecting me to help him.” She turned to look to Chrysalis. “It seems I am not the only Princess of the hive who has betrayed you.”

Chrysalis was giving her princess a stare of alarm, though there was a fire in her eyes. “What?!”

“Princess Chara has seized control of the hive,” Chittri calmly explained, “And sent the assassins to acquire my aid in eliminating the Princesses and yourself.”

Twilight immediately stood up. “Don’t you think you could have told us that a bit earlier?!”

Smiling, yet bowing again, she told them, “My apologies, Princess, but Infiltrators are taught that information is a weapon, and like all weapons, it can be hard to resist the occasional dramatic flourish.”

“Enough!” Chrysalis shouted, and tool a single furious step towards her princess. “Explain. Now!”

To my surprise, Celestia didn’t say anything to Chrysalis’s antagonistic actions, and, despite hiding it, I could sense a bit of anger in her as well. Though she still kept a sharp eye on her in case she started anything physical.

As for Chittri she was, for the most part, externally unfazed, though I could sense her internal fear.

Chittri continued. “We met Gloom last night. He and the other assassins had been prowling the city looking for us, and we met almost by accident. If either of us had been less perceptive, we might have never noticed each other. I led him to one of the homes I had secured, and he demanded to know what has been happening. I informed him of events as neutrally as possible. At first, I left out my parting of ways with Queen Chrysalis, but then he hinted at the subject, as if trying to convince me to do so. I took the chance of revealing my betrayal, and it paid off; he was pleased.”

“He said that Princess Chara had heard of Queen Chrysalis’s plans to accept peace with Equestria, and was convinced that she had been corrupted. She believes that peace with ponies will lead to the hive being little more than a second-rate territory of Equestria, or worse, that the hive will be completely destroyed, consumed by Equestria.”

It seems I'm right. Chrysalis's leadership has been in question by the hive and now she's loosing all control.

Chrysalis only continued to fume, though she seemed to have trouble deciding who to direct her fury towards as it severely fluctuated between others involved, whether in the room or not.

“I pressed him for information,” Chittri said. “As it turns out, Chara fully expected me to help her. I suppose I had done plenty to give her that impression.”

With an angry snort, Chrysalis finally found something to say. “I guess traitors recognize their own kind.”

Though Chittri debunked that. “No. It was not a question of loyalty, but of ideology and ideals. She thought I was of a like mind on ponies. She loathes them, considers them worth nothing but the bit of love one can suck out of them. I, of course, fostered the impression that I shared those views.” She gave a small smile. “I have long since learned that the easiest way to improve someone’s impression of you is to support their opinions.”

Chrysalis reacted with a skeptical look as she asked, “And I suppose you did the same to me, didn’t you?”

I was almost sure that Chittri smiled just a tiny bit more as she said, “Of course not.”

Having trouble saying anything to that, Chrysalis didn’t respond for a while. So with a low, menacing voice, she simply said, “Get on with the story.”

“Once I had gotten all I could through subtle means, I tried more direct methods,” Chittri said. “I pushed too far. At some point, he realized my intentions. He struck Sapphire in the back and turned on me. We were able to subdue him for a while, but he broke free again and tried to kill me, so I struck him down.

I'm not entirely sure how I feel about that then.

“The other assassins fled. Eclipse was wounded by Lazuli, but he and Umbra escaped the city. From what I was able to get out of Gloom, their mission had been dependent on my support; without the aid of local Infiltrators to get them into place, their chances of success were minimal. Therefore, they are almost certainly returning to the hive, to inform Princess Chara that she does not have the support of the Infiltrators that she had expected.”

Done with her story, Chittri leaned her head up a bit. Chrysalis reacted with another furious snarl as she turned around to move many stomps away.

At this point, Celestia asked the most important question. “What will Princess Chara do now?”

Giving a look as serious as ever, Chittri said, “She is an extremist. She has all of the fury and ruthlessness of Queen Chrysalis, but she lacks her degree of pride. She would rather see the hive dispersed and hidden than to have it subjected to an Equestrian hegemony, and she will kill any number of ponies it takes in order to do so. I expect the first of those deaths will occur the moment Eclipse and Umbra return to the hive.”

No! I can't let Blitz die! There's got to be a way I can get there before the assassins do!

I sensed Celestia’s fear of losing ponies, but the feeling that was likely starting to reflect in her narrowing eyes was her contempt for Chara. “And why do you think that?”

Chittri thought on the question for a few seconds. “Before we left, Princess Chara had offered Queen Chrysalis some ideas of how to pressure Equestria. One was the suggestion that Queen Chrysalis go to the feeding chamber, select the most worn out and depleted pony, and behead them. She suggested bringing their head here to present to you, as a clear demonstration of what will happen should Equestria try to subjugate the hive. When I say that she is ruthless, that is the kind of ruthlessness I mean.”

Celestia’s head inched back, and the feeling in her eyes intensified as they narrowed further. Turning to Chrysalis, she asked, “Is this true?”

Chrysalis answered with a snappy, “Yes,” though realizing Celestia’s look, she rolled her eyes. “I obviously said no, didn’t I?”

Not after taking more than a second or two to continue glaring, Celestia turned to the double doors and called for the Guards, who entered in about the same short time span. She told them to bring Captain Aegis to her, and they galloped off to do so, while Chittri continued to inform the Princesses and Queen.

“As impressive as your army can be, I am afraid they may be a bit too much of a blunt instrument. Princess Chara will execute the prisoners she holds if the battle turns against her. She may have many talents, but bluffing is not one of them.”

“We do not plan on launching a full-scale invasion,” Celestia informed Chittri.

Luna picked up with, “We have many skilled ponies who could conduct a rescue operation.”

I hope you know what you're doing, Celestia.

Though Chittri had a better idea. “I do not doubt the skill of your ponies, nor their courage. However, a rescue operation would require detailed knowledge, meticulous planning, and perfect execution. If the hive has even the slightest knowledge that they are being attacked, ponies will die. What you need is subtlety. And it seems to me that, when it comes to subtlety, you have a better option at hoof.”

With a skeptical and confused look, Celestia asked, “You want us to send you?”

Come on, Celestia! You have the infiltrator princess and several other infiltrators right here!

As Chittri said exactly what I was thinking, I was liking her more and more, even after she gave a subtle, sly smirk, and said, “Though I would be immodest enough to claim that my skill would likely benefit such an endeavor.”

At this point, the Queen had turned around to look at Chittri while thinking on her plan. Celestia and Luna exchanged looks with each other, Luna’s being an amused smile.

“It does seem like an ideal solution,” the lunar sister said.

As Celestia thought on it for several additional seconds, it only seemed more and more appealing, so she turned Chrysalis. “Would you agree to this?”

“To rescuing your ponies from my own subjects?” Chrysalis heatedly replied. “No. But I will gladly send them to deal with Chara.”

You better not try anything funny, Chrysalis.

The changeling princess gave Chrysalis a nod as she said, “Rescuing the prisoners would be essentially pointless if Chara remains in control. With no reason to remain in the hive, she could flee with those whose loyalty she has obtained. She would become a festering problem. Instead of killing a few dozen in a day, she might have years. Any mission that starts with the rescue of those prisoners would need to end with her capture.”

And with her capture, my capturing of malicious changelings will be at an end, for the most part.

After glaring back at Chittri, Chrysalis fixed her gaze on Celestia. “Fine. I never should have gotten involved with you stupid ponies. It’s been nothing but one disaster after another. I just want to be done with it. Just don’t pretend like you’re doing me a favor by letting me take care of my own problem while you sit around being useless.”

I sensed Chittri’s disapproval of Chrysalis’s statement, so I wasn’t surprised when she said something that initially earned her an angry look from Chrysalis. “On the contrary, Equestria can offer the most vital piece of this mission: transportation. The team would have to arrive well before these assassins do. It will be a long and grueling flight, and they will need to arrive in good enough condition to carry out their mission. Eclipse and Umbra have no such restriction; so long as they arrive at the hive, it does not matter how exhausted they are.”

Celestia then offered chariots along with the most capable fliers, though both Chittri and I knew it wasn’t fast enough.

“A kind offer, though I’m afraid it would not be sufficient. These assassins were chosen from among the best the hive had to offer, and are in peak physical condition. They will fly swiftly and without rest until they reach their destination. Eclipse may have been injured, but I do not expect it to slow him much. Even if it did, Umbra may fly ahead. It is unlikely that your chariots would be able to reach the hive before one of them arrives with their warning, and even if they could, there would not be enough time to conduct the rescue.”

It was at this moment that I knew what she was suggesting.

Spark Wheel’s flying machine was quite fast to say the least and would not tire out on long trips. From what I saw of it, it also looked as though it had room for at least a few additional passengers in one of it’s compartments.

So with all discrete haste and a few ideas, I few out of the room and towards the most likely spot where Spark’s machine could be: the chariot platforms.

Landing upside down under the platform with the machine, I transformed into a changeling to remain there while I then cast the invisibility spell. Seeing as the one I was using didn’t mask magic horas, I had to sneak to the edge and slowly take a peek at the Guards’ positions to identify any blind spots.

Unfortunately for me, they were well positioned and sufficient in numbers, so I had no routes without considerable risk. This meant I had to use a pony spell.

After finding a spot above the landing platform with sufficient cover, I cast a spell to change into a capuchin monkey for it’s smaller size. While traversing down the castle, I decided on a spot to start at on the platform.

Once there, I started towards the flying machine in a casual manner, and while the Guards did notice me, they didn’t do much. Though once I was close to the machine, they started paying more attention to me. Despite this, all of them would eventually look away from me, and I continued into the machine. Quickly finding a spot to change, I noticed the larger-than-pony sized compartment, and climbed inside. After closing the top, I changed to my real form, then into a filly.

It was at that moment that I heard hoofsteps heading to my position and felt their suspicion moderately rise. Despite the risk, I took the time to cast the tracking spell on the compartment, which prompted one of the guards to whisper to the other.

After a dozen or so seconds, the two Guards opened the compartment to take a look around, but after a few more seconds one of them said, “See? Every time you overdo the caffeine you get hyper and start seeing things. We can’t afford that with multiple squads of changelings in the castle, not to mention the infiltrators.”

“No,” the other responded. “I didn’t have too much this time. I got enough sleep last- wait, there’s something moving.”

As he started to move the compartment’s tools around, I decided it was best to show myself.

Once I emerged from the tools, the caffeinated Guard leaned in further to get a good look at me. “Jeez, is this little guy even a monkey? He’s so small I could hide him under my hoof’s frog!”

“Just get him and let’s go,” the other Guard said. “I don’t want to be seen going through Spark’s things.”

Holding out a forehoof, the caffeinated one started talking to me like I was a pet. “Come here, little guy. Don’t want you squished by falling wrenches.”

So I took the invitation and climbed onto his hoof, which prompted him to put me in the bristle of his helmet as they left the machine. While the two were conversing more and heading back to their post, I took my position’s opportunity to carefully climb down his helm, onto his armor’s back plate, then into his tail, all without him noticing. When they stopped moving, I took a peek to quickly scan the area for the best escape route.

The perimeter of the landing platform was mostly a ledge with the rest being against the castle wall for the entrance. Their post was almost in the middle of the castle wall portion, but that wasn’t a problem.

After making my way through his long tail to the ground, I stealthily made my way to the ledge. Looking below, I didn’t see much in the way of places I could use to transform, so I scanned the area to find it mostly clean. There was nothing but some leaves likely blown over from a nearby cliff of trees.

Knowing I had to make good time, I decided to take the bigger leaves close to the ledge, then stand on it so I could take opposite ends of the leaf in each hand. After rolling it over with my hands still in place, I took it to the edge of the platform and jumped off.

The entire way down I was violently swaying around while trying to keep the leaf from taking a complete nosedive. Despite my best efforts, it happened several times, but I managed a rough landing near the castle garden. Once there, I went deep into the hedge maze and under a tree to change into the fastest pegasus build I could. Not sensing anybody being alerted of my magic, I left the maze, then the castle.

After making it to Act’s house in record time, I checked several of the windows to find him working in his office. After knocking on the window, he opened it to let me in.

After he closed it and the blinds, I let my disguise go. “We need to act fast! The Guard as well as hive and Equestrian infiltrators are going to infiltrate the hive to save the captured ponies and dethrone Chara!”

Act gave me an odd look. “Did you pull an all-nighter infiltration or something?”

“No!” I said. “I’m being serious! I can explain on the way to the hive, but first we need to fire-portal to my house!”

As Act said “Alright, alright. Just calm down,” he came up beside me and started the fire-portal spell.

We ended up in my bedroom, but I went to my lab to search for something. After Act came into the lab, I already opened the potion cabinet and was searching through it.

“Looking for something to get us there fast?” Act asked.

“Yeah,” was my only response.

“So why is Chara on the throne? Actually, never mind. In fact, I think I can guess why all this is happening anyways. Chrysalis is going the peaceful route and Chara heard of it, so like the extremist she is, she’s going to try everything possible to resist and revolt.”

While still going though potions, I told him, “Yeah, and she’s going to start executing the captured ponies as soon as a pair of assassins comes back.”

Even with all that, Act was still confused about something. “Well, most importantly, how did you get this information?”

“I infiltrated the negotiations.”

This impressed Act, but before he could say anything else, I took out two potions. “Alright, I found two potions. One may not work, while the other one will change me into some kind of pony-like stone creature. I can’t remember the name, but that’s not important right now.”

After immediately starting my detection spell, I galloped right to the half-ling, who was playing with Frost in the living room. I tapped his shoulder and told him “Tell any of my friends to look after Frost as soon as possible, then travel to Ponyville with my work gear saddlebags and get a room at the Horse-fly Inn.”

His only response was a, “Okay,” which sounded more like a question than an answer.

Next, I told Act, “We’ll need to fly some distance away from Canterlot before using the questionable potion in an open area.”

Act asked, “Why’s that?” as we took on pegasus disguises.

“Because it’s supposed to change me into something powerful and huge,” I said, right as we reached the front door.

Opening the door and flying off with me, Act asked, “A dragon? That’s not going to get us there fast enough.”

“No, it’s something else. If the feather I used in it was genuinely from the right creature, I’ll turn into a roc.”

Act gave me a look like I was damaged. “A rock?!”

“Yes, a roc,” I said, though it only took a split second before I realized what he thought I was saying. “The bird! Not a stone! It’s spelled R-O-C.”

Act raised an eyebrow, so took that as a question.

“A roc is an incredibly rare creature that’s even rarer to find in Equestria. They’ve been known the easily snatch up creatures as big as elephants due to their wingspan, which can rival the largest of dragons.”

Act kept his eyebrow raised. “You do realize that that’s going to attract the attention of every pony within several miles, right? It might interrupt the Guard’s preparations to secure their mission’s success because they’d think they’ll have to defend against you.”

“Alright, then we’ll travel out several more miles than I planned. It’s not like any pony in existence can out-fly a roc.”

Act opened his mouth, but before he could say anything I said, “No, not even Rainbow Dash.”

The last thing he said on our flight was, “Just don’t fly too close to the hive, either.”

I rolled my eyes. “Yeah, I know.”

After we landed in an open spot at a forest several miles from any town, I took out the roc potion, which prompted Act to ask, “Are you sure that’s safe to drink?” as I hoofed him my saddlebags.

I sighed. “Yeah. Nearly all of the potion’s magic power comes from the roc feather, so if it’s not real, it’ll do little to nothing. Now, you’ll probably want to stand back.”

Act trotted back several meters until he was at the border of the clearing. Once he turned around with a neutral expression on his face, I popped the cork off the bottle and drank the potion.

At first I felt slightly nauseated, thinking it was from the almost sewage-like taste of the potion, but I was wrong. In seconds I sensed a magic power building in me that quickly covered me in luminescence and I felt the change begin. In seconds, I felt myself grow dozens of meters bigger, at which point the light stopped.

Act was just standing where he was before, in awe.

Adorned with white feathers that rivaled the radiance of Celestia’s coat, I stood tall with my gold feet and beak.

Opening my wings wide, I assumed that Act would take that as his cue to get on, but after several seconds I decided to tenderly grabbed him with my beak and set him on my back.

Upon taking off, my wing flaps produced gusts of wind that shook the trees and scared away many of the creatures that were likely blown off their hooves. Going forward, we started our way to the hive with eye watering speeds. I say that because, after just a few seconds, Act started the psychic link spell to talk with me.

Shape, I can’t see. My eyes are watering from the wind.

I packed goggles.

Left or right side?

Left.

So how did you infiltrate the negotiations?

I found a suitable potion to turn into a tiny, inconspicuous creature, then kept my distance from the checkpoints. I also ended up using some of my pony magic for other transformations.

Fantastic! Now you’re thinking like a half-ling infiltrator!

Thanks! Anyways, it shouldn’t be too hard to use the Princess’s move in a mutually beneficial way. It's also great timing because Blitz will be rescued by the Guard, so I won't have to worry about him much. I wouldn’t even have to worry about revealing myself!

Yeah, you seem to have thought this through well enough, but now is the time that we have to start thinking on our hooves. Also, the direction of the hive is at about your three o’clock.

~~~~~~

Once Act told me that we were within a few miles, I landed and used the potion’s mental dispel command to change back. After changing into a pegasus with an appropriate coat color to blend in with the sky, we continued flying until we were almost in view of the hive. At that point we changed colors to match the arid landscape, and sneaked our way closer.

As a roc, I wasn’t actually going as fast as I could have because I only needed to be faster than the flying machine and being tired out before even getting to the mission wouldn’t have been ideal in any way at all. As for Act, he was doing just fine and could manage a fire-portal if needed.

During our wait for Spark’s flying machine, we hid close to the canyon that was above the hive, but not close enough to be in the hive’s patrol routes, which Act said was new but not surprising to him. I had the detection spell up to be completely aware of any changeling that came around our hiding spot, and I was ready to cast the low level invisibility spell if need be.

Fortunately, I didn’t need to before Act told me to start checking the area for my tracking spell’s trail.

Flying low and using the low level invisibility spell for several minutes at a time, I constantly used the long range detection spell to look for the trail as fast as possible. Taking flight paths along other canyons was my best route for finding it, and after what seemed like an hour, I finally found it.

Following it to it’s end, I got a look at the machine’s location, though the changelings that likely tagged along weren’t there. So I went ahead and flew around with the invisibility and detection spell on until I found them located a few hundred meters closer to the hive. Thinking that it would be advantageous to see how they try to get into the hive, I watched them from afar.

Once they got to the same canyon that Act was waiting near, they made their way down it and hid behind a canyon wall, while I got closer with the invisibility spell. One of the changelings peeked around it to looking at something, so I sneaked over to a spot just above where they were looking while they seemed to be discussing a plan.

Not seeing anything below me with the detection spell, I risked a long range cast, which didn’t attract any of the infiltration team’s attention, as I kept low to the ground, nor did it attract any patrols. Luckily, this payed off some and I noticed three changelings underground, likely guarding an entrance.

I waited to see what the infiltration team’s next move was, so Act and I might be able to use their entrance method. While I sneaked around to a spot a good distance behind them, they started their way towards a shaded spot in the canyon and seemed to enter what was likely the guarded entrance.

At that point, I quickly went back to Act, who was thankfully still waiting in the same spot.

“You found them?” he asked.

“Yeah,” I said. “They seem to have used a secret entrance, though it’s guarded.”

“They’ve likely had to incapacitate the guards, so we should try the same entrance before someling finds them,” Act speculated.

“Then let’s go,” I said, as I started the lesser invisibility spell again.

Flying low, we went to the entrance in question and changed into different changelings. Going through it without my invisibility but my continuous detection spell, it soon picked up the guards from before. After holding my hoof in front of Act’s chest, he started the psychic link spell again.

The guards?

Yeah.

Well, how did they get past them?

It looks like they knocked them out.

Then let’s go. And let me do the talking whenever you can.

Act and I quickly galloped past the unconscious guards, and once their bodies were out of sight we slowed down to a more casual pace.

Being in a place I hadn’t been to before, and worse, where I was likely high on their wanted list, made me a bit nervous. Thankfully, the changelings in the hive don't make it a cause for concern and we went on our way uninterrupted.

The hive’s air was hot and humid, and there was next no light, with the only source being spots of a glowing substance unknown to me, though it was definitely enough for a changeling’s eyes. The hive was filled with changelings that all looked gruelingly busy, a perpetual state of the hive that I was told of by Modus.

Act seemed to have just a bit of trouble navigating through the hive, but every time we took a wrong turn it didn’t take him long to realize it, so we were still making good timing as far as we knew.

As for where we were going, I didn’t know until we arrived at a large chamber. This one was particularly noteworthy, as it being the biggest one was just the first interesting thing one would notice. The spire in the middle, which was equally impressive in size, housed the Queen. Her throne stood on a large, open area high on the spire. Knowing this, I became slightly more nervous as we flew closer to it, though, despite the area being busiest in the hive, no changeling gave any thought to my behavior.

Act approached a guard not too far away from said structure and asked “Do you know where Ingress is?”

The guard replied with “Probably in a private meeting right now. They won’t let you interrupt it unless it’s urgent.”

“Alright then,” Act said with a shrug, as if we weren’t planning on still trying.

Leaving the guard to his duties, we flew to what I presumed was a cluster of multipurpose rooms, all of which had various furnishings common to the hive, such as chairs, tables, and cabinets. All of them looked as though they were made in a rush, with most made of wood or resin and very few being stone. I started my original changeling detection spell to specifically find my disguised changeling, though it took a while as there were several rooms, almost all of them not being used at the time.

Once I found who I could only assume was him, I led Act into a room that was almost adjacent to my target’s, taking note that the one between the two had no occupants, and closed the door. I then started my best detection spell, which picked up only one other changeling in the same room.

“Can you cast any of the detection spells on me?" asked Act.

“No, not designed for that,” I said. “There’s two ‘lings in the room total.”

As Act started barricading the door, he said, “A decent enough scenario, considering our limited time. I can fire-portal us in because I still know these rooms, but we’ll have to plan our first few moves.”

“Alright,” I said. “While you charge up the fire-portal, I’ll charge up a sound-proofing spell to release as soon as we’re in the room. Remember that it blocks sound coming from the outside, so anyone knocking won’t be heard. As for my form-” I then made my chitin denser and thicker “-it’ll be armored but still fast.”

Act picked up two rocks. “A nice longer-term and preemptive choice. I can’t do much with magic just a split second after casting the portal, so I’ll have to throw stuff.” He sidled up right next to me. “Ready?”

I took a slow, deep breath of the damp air and exhaled.

“Ready.”

As Act charged for the fire-portal, I charged up the sound-proofing spell, and we descended into the floor. As we came up on the other side I could start to make out the voices of the other changelings, then what they were saying.

“-stupid entrance is a wa-”

Though the one talking stopped once we were completely in and the flames died down enough to give him a partial view that showed him we weren’t who he was expecting. At the same time, I released the sound-proofing spell, while the one wearing armor said, “Who are you?!” in a demanding tone. Free to fully concentrate on his own levitation magic, Act shot one stone at each of them, though the other ‘ling shot a magic blast in time to both deflect the stone and strike me.

I was knocked to the ground, though my chitin only had a small crack and I was barely dazed. During this, the armored ‘ling dodged the other rock, while Act lighted his horn up and charged at him, wings buzzing for extra speed. The ‘ling anticipated with a low stance and quickly charged up his own spell.

While Act was charging, I was quickly getting back up to be notified of the armored ‘ling’s high powered spell, by my detection spell. I quickly took the most armored changeling form I could, and cast my original pony disguise for a little extra protection.

While I was casting, Act ended up tripping the unarmored ‘ling by levitating his hind legs, causing the ‘ling to miss with his magic blast, and opening him up for Act to tackle him. As the two tried to subdue each other, they rolled to the back wall.

While the armored ‘ling was surprised at my pony disguise, he didn’t hesitate to fire his spell, which directly hit me. I was merely staggered, while my pony disguise flickered away from it’s shield being destroyed, revealing several cracks in my chitin. Chancing a quick look at Act’s fight, he seemed to at least be a good distraction. Yet when I turned back to the armored ‘ling he was making a break for the door, so I took a page from Act and tripped him. Despite my injury, I quickly got right next to him while completely enveloping him in my magic.

As I held him down, he struggled to break free while charging a spell. A spell that never came, as I picked his head up and slammed it on the floor to break his concentration. While his aura dissipated, I brought the changeling’s face inches from mine and showed my real eyes, eliciting fear and uncertainty from him.

“Cast a spell again, and you’ll only get more head trauma,” I warned with dangerous eyes, then galloped towards Act. As I got there, the other changeling seemed to only want to escape, as he was no longer trying to subdue Act, but at that point he had no chance.

Right after I rose the armored changeling like a club over the other, Act managed to move out of the way while still holding on to the unarmored one with one hoof. Taking this as my cue, I brought the armored one down on the other, striking the unarmored one’s head with the plot of the other one.

Bringing the armored changeling’s face to look at mine again, I noticed Act firing a spell. Taking a glance at the other enemy changeling, then to Act with a questioning look, he told me, “Not taking any chances. Also, I’ll be taking this one’s armor.”

While Act removed the changeling’s armor, I had him facing me as I switched to my usual disguise. “This pony, Tricher. I know that you can tell me what happened to him during the Canterlot invasion.”

As I took a defensive changeling form, my target said, “H-how are you… H-how did you-”

But before he could say anything, a changeling opened the door, saying, “-saw a lot of fla-," though he stopped in surprise when he noticed Act and I, particularly my eyes.

“Leave,” I slowly and clearly said in my real voice, though he only responded with less fear and uncertainty than my target. A second passed and I added, “Or I’ll rip your chitin off.”

The changeling then flew off in more fear, presumably for backup.

Moving his ears around and gazing at the door, Act said, “We need to leave soon. That ‘ling’s going to have backup here in three minutes tops.”

“That’s enough time," I said, before turning back to Tricher with a cheeky smile. “I only have to do two things. First, I’d like to thank you and your Canterlot attack squad for making me what I am.”

With an intense flash of surprise and confusion, and a wide eyed look to match, Tricher almost yelled, “You’re the monster that’s b-been hunting us!”

“How intersting,” I calmly said, in contrast to narrowing my eyes slightly, then stripped my disguise away and told him “Both species can be monsters in their own special way. And for the second thing…”

As I charged a spell up, Tricher started to panic in the green light of my magic and tried to struggle free again, but it was pointless. I only needed a second before releasing the spell, and once I did, he burst into flames.

Flames that tore his disguise away.

After motioning for Act to cast his spell, all he did was quirk an eyebrow.

“Just do it," I said.

So Act finally released his spell, which hit Tricher with enough force to knock him out. Immediately and unceremoniously, I dropped Tricher on the floor, which prompted Act to ask, “You done?”

After confirming, Act stood close to me again and we both took a desert colored pegasus disguise before he started another fire-portal to get us out.

“Once we’re on the surface again, we’ll still be within the patrol’s area,” he warned. So I took that as my cue to cast my easier invisibility spell, which started well before the hemisphere of fire fully formed and the sound of buzzing changelings in the hall.

Upon arriving at the surface, we took a quick look around to be aware of any witnesses to Act’s spell. Unfortunately, there was an entire squad a hundred meters or so away that looked as though they were flying right towards us, so we had to move.

“They’ve noticed us,” Act calmly said.

“I know. Let’s move.”

Despite the ground being highly uniform in color and lighting, the closer they got to us, the harder it was to slip by. At first I was going a little slower than Act, who was at a casual pace, until a few seconds later when I decided that he was right. The spell was also harder to keep up the further away he was. So I went just a bit faster until I caught up, at which point he started to slow down to a more careful trot, and at the same time, I started hearing the sound of buzzing wings, which I took as an additional sign to slow down as well.

It took them a little less than a dozen or so seconds before they landed next to where we came up, but we were still not far enough away, and had to slow down to a crawl. Worse was that after a few seconds, they separated to search the area. Half of the changelings took to the sky while the others went by hoof, each with their own strategy. The ones on the ground generally tried to stay quiet and slow, while the fliers mostly took a quick and louder approach.

While inching our way around for a suitable spot to hide for a while, my adrenaline rush started slowing down some which meant that the injury to my right foreleg and first few right ribs made it particularly hard to keep going. Yet, despite that, I soldiered on as we went and managed to stop in time during the two instances where one started to get close.

During the last of those instances, there were two who stuck close to each other. They passed by so close that Act and I could listen to their conversation as we held our breath.

“Watch your back, I think this asshole’s using a stealth spell,” one said.

The second one replied a little quieter with “No shit, you fumble-fuck!” though his expression changed once they spotted a shimmering flock of something in the distance coming right towards the hive. The first then turned to see what was going on and, realizing what it was, started to internally panic.

Once they both took flight at the same time and started retreating back to the hive, Act and I made our way to a hiding spot at a casual pace. At this point I was leaning on him and still using the invisibility spell because the pain from my injury was in full force. Said hiding spot was a small canyon’s dark crevice outside of the patrol area. Once hidden there, I was able to catch my breath.

“We really needed to bring some medical supplies,” Act gravely told me.

I sensed his concern for me, but also pride, confusion, and a bit of disappointment. Between deep breaths I said, “Yeah, but how long should we stay here?”

“Once the Guard is closer to the hive than us. Then I’ll fly you back to Equestria,” Act said. “Though on the subject of how our mission went, I should have asked what you were going to do after the soundproofing spell. It would have been best if you used your telekinesis to trip or stumble them.”

My pain was causing me to be more irritable than usual, so I cast an anesthetic spell, then responded. “Yeah, I didn’t think about that until the armored one went for the door.”

Act hummed in thought while looking at me like there was something wrong, but he couldn’t figure it out. “Well, more importantly, you don’t seem anywhere near as disappointed as I thought you’d be about not getting your memory gap filled.”

“It felt like it really didn’t matter anymore,” I said. “As far as I’m concerned, being a half-ling is an improvement for me. It compliments my skills.”

Act gave me a small smile, though he was still confused. “Yet you still revealed that changeling’s masquerade before getting answers.”

“Metrion told me that he’d give me Tricher’s name if I gave him what he needed to stop him,” I said. “During the mission Metrion had me do, we got his name anyways, so I also felt the need to put his ruse to an end if I had the opportunity. I got what I wanted from him while he got almost nothing, so I did his end goal for him.”

Act responded with one raised eyebrow. “But… you still didn’t even get what you wanted out of that exchange.”

I grinned a bit at that. “I didn’t get what I originally wanted. What I have now is what I should have been going for all along.”

“Which was to thank Tricher?” Act asked.

“Yes, but also new reasons to reveal myself. Chittri helped-”

Chittri?!” Act almost yelled. “How did you even find her?!”

“Part of it was luck,” I said with a smirk. “But I can tell you about that later. She helped me realize that it would benefit everybody more if I stopped my masquerade, and that I should reveal my change soon.”

Act though on that for a few seconds. “I’m surprised that she gave you actual advice. Asking an enemy for advice. Most would say that it’s either incredibly foolish or ingenious. I think it’s a fantastic idea if you’re cautious about it. Anyways, the Guard should be close enough to the hive. Let’s get you to a hospital already.”

With that, I climbed onto Act’s back and he started flying off to Equestria.

Not long into the flight, Act asked me, “So what are you planning for the half-ling?”

“I’m not really sure,” I responded. “He seems to be on the road to reform without as much effort as I thought.”

I couldn’t see Act’s face, and he didn’t respond, but I sensed his surprise at that news.

~~~~~~

Act decided to land in a small village on the edge of Equestria. Once at their hospital, they took me in to get patched up while asking me what happened. Anticipating this, I gave them a story similar to the fight I actually had. Instead of being in the hive, I was wandering the arid land near the patrols. Instead of winning the fight, I managed to incapacitate one before getting away from the other.

While they believed the story, they seemed a bit reluctant to believe that I got to them on the same day as the fight due to how much I healed already. Thankfully, these doctors didn’t press on the truth too much.

Once out of the hospital, Act asked if I needed anything before he left, but I didn’t, so seeing as the village had a train station, we parted ways on the spot. With the hospital visit over with, I went to the train station to buy tickets to Ponyville, which was luckily scheduled to arrive in about two hours. Once on the train, I was left to my thoughts as I watched the scenery go by.

I want to reveal what I really am some time in the next 3 months. I'm sure by then ponies won't mind me much, or at least there will be fair laws pertaining to changelings and their abilities. I'd prefer the former, though I'll take what I can get. But the next biggest question is where to first reveal myself, and what to do afterwords.

I undoubtedly have major enemies, and my friends will likely get caught in the crossfire again, but I should have a solution to that soon enough. There’s also the question of what the Equestrian government knows and suspects I’ve done, and what they’ll want to do about it. With that in mind, I’m expecting a visit or at least a letter from them soon after my reveal. I wouldn’t be surprised if they go so far as to put me on trail if they knew about my eavesdropping. Hopefully, in that case, they give me an interesting proposition.