• Published 14th Jun 2016
  • 1,063 Views, 11 Comments

The Canterlot Chronicles: Life and Turmoils of Starburst - ThatUnknownPony



Being the daughter of Twilight Sparkle isn't the prettiest of things. Not because of her know-it all behaivor, nor because of her constant freakouts, but because of the duty that is to carry the name Sparkle. And Starburst knows it better than anyone

  • ...
1
 11
 1,063

Chapter 1: And So It Begins...

"...Why did it have to be me? Why did it have to be now? And why can't I fight back?"

She knew the answer to those questions, but was still struggling to accept them. Barely standing up there, questioning herself about what was about to happen. She filled herself with determination, but it barely worked. There was no other way... She had to do it. Taking a deep breath before raising her head, she muttered three simple words:

"Bring it on."

And so she started walking towards the building right in front of her: Canterlot High. While other students approached the school with glee on their faces, she remained with the same stoic expression. She just wanted to be somewhere else, either at home or back at Sweet Apple Acres, exercising with her friend Del... Yet she kept reminding herself why she was there, both to motivate her as for cursing her.

"Remember, you're doing this for mother, Starburst. You do this for her, to make her proud..."

The young girl was already on her 16, and this was her first year of High School. Her blue hair with purple and violet stripes was reminiscent of her mother, Twilight Sparkle. For her age, she was still pretty small, in fact since Elementary she was the shortest in classes; yet despite her size, she was one of the most athletic girls you could find, and making her angry was a terrible.

As she walked through the crystal doors of the campus, Starburst reflected a little about her situation, and how she ended studying there instead of the wealthier Crystal Prep.

"Everyone talks wonder from there, save from mother... Well, at least she saved me from spoiled brats and snobby schoolmates"

Starburst kept thinking back at the little details, not because she really loved remembering stuff, but because she wanted to ignore how everyone seemed five feet taller than her. But the more students walked beside her, the more she was feeling annoyed.

"Remember, Starburst: you do this for mother, you do this for her..."

Starburst sighed at the idea that she could have to endure a whole year like that, probably even more. The only thing she expected was that with time this would become easier, but for now Starburst was struggling to not flee from the school. Thankfully for her, there was someone who was already waiting for her.

"Starburst?" The girl turned around and found herself facing a familiar face: Yellow and red hair that reminded her of flames, wearing a red jacket and a big black skirt, and with a slight reddish skin.

"Wait a... Sunray? Is that really you?!"

"I can't believe it, it's really you!" Starburst couldn't react when her friend started hugging her, although her small size made it a little harder for her to breath.

"Well... If you could... Stop suffocating me... It could help."

"Oh, sorry" Sunray apologized as she let her go. "It's just... I can't believe we're at the same high school together!"

"You can thank my mother for that, Sunray. At least I do, it was either here or Crystal Prep."

"Wait, in your case it was your mom who wanted you to study here?" Sunray seemed a little confused. "Curious, in my case I had to beg mine to come here. She insisted that I should go to Crystal Prep and..."

"Sun, you're doing it again." Starburst stare said it all.

"Do what? You mean... Oh, sorry" she blushed still smiling. "You know how I tend to speak a lot."

"At least you aren't like Candy or her mother."

"Hahah! That's a relief at least" Sunray laughed as the two walked through the busy halls, looking for their classroom.


Once the two girls located their new classroom, they were surprised by the amount of new and familiar faces.

"Whoa, look at that!" Sunray said in delight. "I recognize a lot of them from middle school, it's just so... Wait; are those who I think they are?"
Starburst looked over where her friend was staring and, to both her surprise and slight disgust, she recognized a certain blind girl with light green braids alongside a big muscular guy.

"Oh great, Little Miss Perfect is here..."

"Come on, Star! Are you still bitter around that?" Sunray scolded her friend, but at the same time tried to cheer her up. "Anthea is still our friend, remember?"

Star just crossed her arms and tried staring at something else, in an attempt to ignore Sunray.

"Oh come on, Star!" starting to feel a little annoyed, Sunray grabbed her by the arm and pulled her towards a couple of seats besides their old pals.
"Hey! Anthea, Turquoise! Guess who is here!"

"Sunray, for the love of..."

Unfortunately for her, the blind girl had already notices them.

"Was that Starburst?" Even if she couldn't properly see, she was able to distinguish things as blurs of color, and she easily recognized Star judging by how fast she stood up to hug her. "Aaww, this is so great! It's just like in middle school!"

"Hello, Anthea." Star sounded as deadpan as she could.

"Star! What a surprise!" Turquoise hugged her "cousin" as well... More accurately, he was nearly suffocating her. "I can't believe you're actually here!"

"Hff... T... My neck... Hgg..."

"WHOA! Sorry, sorry!" the giant guy let his cousin go. "I didn't mean to do that."

"Huff... Huff... It's ok, T. I missed you too." Starburst knew about Turquoise's strength, so it wasn't something that upset her, just annoyed her sometimes. Especially with her size.

"Heh heh heh. L-Let me give you a hand." Sunray had to help her friend to stand up, still feeling a little bit dizzy after such a squeeze.

"So, um... How were your vacations, cousin?"

"Well, they were ok, I guess." Starburst wasn't a very talkative kind of girl. But she somewhat predictable for those who knew her.

"Let me guess: Training with Del at the farm?" Despite her blindness, Annie was a surprisingly avid snarker.

"T-That's not of your business, Annie!" Her instant blush was all the proof she needed. "And besides... Even if I did, he's just a close friend, that's all."

"Riiiiight..." Both T and Sunray couldn't help but laugh at the faces both their friends were making. Between Star's frown and Annie's smug face, it was something worth seeing.

"Anyways, how were yours, Ray?"

"Oh, don't even remind me of that." Sunray put a hand over her face as she spoke. "Mom's writing a new book, and you know what that means: lots of complains, tons of chores, and endless ramble about her horrible time at school."

The collective groan of the others said it all.

"I'm really sorry for you, Ray." Annie said in a caring tone. "What is she writing about this time? Broken friendships? How this school sucks? That family cannot be forgiven easily?"

"Actually, it was a little bit of the first two and a whole lot of 'I only have one true friend'"

"Hey, at least that's something." Star tried to calm her friend a little bit. "I'd rather prefer hearing my mom talk wonders about 'her only friend' than just 'Canterlot High sucks!'"

Hearing her friend's over exaggerated voice definitively cheered Sunray up.

"Yeah, I suppose. When you put it that way..."

"Shh! Silence!" all three of them turned to look at Turquoise, whose eyes were fixed on the classroom door "The teacher's here!"

All four of them turned their heads to the door, where they noticed the figure of the odd teacher. He looked in his 50's, with a curious looking scarf, a brown long coat and a matching colored spiky hair.

"Great whickering stallions! I knew I was late!" He said as he rushed into the classroom, instantly surrounded by confused stares. "Oh, hello!"
Everyone just stared as the teacher clumsily walked to his desk, and after taking seat he proceed:

"Well... What a nice looking group of students." As he spoke, the strange man put all kinds of books and notes in his desk. "My name is Time Turner, but everyone just calls me Doctor."

Suddenly, a good bunch of the classroom began whispering in disbelief, including Sunray.

"Incredible! I can't believe he's our teacher!" Her voice sounded so excited.

"Wait, you know this nutter?"

"What, you don't, Starburst?" the young girl was surprised by the look of utter confusion of her friend. "He's one of the oldest teachers of the High School. He's been giving classes since our mothers studied here!

"Wait, really? Well... Let's hope he's as good as then."

Both girls turned their heads back towards the teacher, who was continuing his presentation.

"As it seems, I'll be your teacher this year. I teach everything from math.... To physics..." to the surprise and bigger confusion of everybody, the odd fellow seemed to be falling asleep. "Physics... Physics... Zzzz..."

The whole classroom was filled with confused faces and incessant pillow talk. Was this really their new teacher?

"...is it me or the teacher just fell asleep?"

"I see it too Star..." even Sunray was shocked.”Do you think someone should wake him up?"

In that instant, the loud ringing of a cellphone struck the room, waking him up in an instant.

"GREAT WHICKERING STALLIONS!!! WHAT IN THE HAY..." realizing the whole classroom was looking funny at him; he quickly tried to save some face. "I-is it me or is it a little too warm in here? Makes you feel a bit drowsy, hehe."

In that moment, Starburst turned her head towards the classroom's door, and noticed that someone was waiting outside.

"This reminds me..." The curious teacher proceeded, "...that we have a very special student joining us today at Canterlot High. I'm sure many have heard of her, so I hope you receive her as she deserves. Can you please come in, Miss D' Luna?"

The whole classroom was filled with a surprised gasp at the newcomer: her skin was slightly dark, with a navy blue short hair and bat-like yellow eyes. A recognizable gaze for some, but an easily familiar one for Starburst.

"Well, looks like many of you know who she is. Care to introduce yourself, Miss D'Luna?"

"Hah, I don't think introductions are in order, Doc." the new girl had that royal air around her, and her voice clearly carried a noble tone. "I'm sure the folks already know who I am."

Nobody in the classroom dared to say anything. They were easily impressed with the girl that they couldn't even articulate words... That is, with the exception of a young small girl.

"Oh come on, teach! Let her introduce to us! I'm really curious to know who this 'D' Luna' is!"

Starburst didn't care that half the classroom was looking at her with the biggest expression of shock, just looking at the new girl's dumbfounded face was enough.

"...Well, an introduction hasn't anyone so... Could you please?"

The girl sighed in clear exasperation, and proceeded to talk with clear annoyance.

"...I'm Nidra Clair D' Luna, daughter of the Royal Princess, and new in this classroom."

Once again, the wave of whispers filled the room, all of them carrying the same surprised tone. Not even Starburst friends could grasp it.

"The daughter of the princess?! In OUR school?!" Sunray was about to faint from the excitement.

"I'm not that surprised. The princesses used to be also the Principals of the school." Anthea explained. "She probably signed her up here to prepare her for that. Just like Principal Illusion."

"Thank you for that lovely introduction, Miss D' Luna." The Doc proceed with his class, "Now, if you could kindly take a seat, please?"

Almost without thinking, the royal daughter picked up the seat right next to Starburst. As the teacher continued his class, she felt the cold, menacing glare of Nidra. Her friends were somewhat scared from the daggering stare, but Star turned her head without any trace of fear.

"Any problems, little princess?"

"...you haven't changed a single bit, Starburst." Suddenly her stare turned into a grin. "Don't know who Nidra is? Really?"

"Hey, that face you made? Priceless.

To the jaw-drop of her other friends, Star and Nidra shared a small fist bump, looking like old friends reunited.

"Wait a... You and the princess daughter?!" Sunray was shocked to see them so friendly, and Nidra really caught on that.

"Well being daughter of the Royal Scientist has its advantage." she said while laughing.

"We've known each other since we were kids. Never expected to see her here."

Both T and Sunray were speechless at this, until Anthea dared to talk:

"She sounds like a nice gal"

Inside, Starburst was thinking about this twist of things, and it brought a smile to her.

"Well, maybe this year won't be as bad as I thought."


"...I take that back, I'm just thankful it's lunchtime already"

After a pretty long class involving numbers, theory and all that jazz Starburst wasn't fond of, she was just relieved she finally was getting some rest.

"Man, it's almost scary how fast the day is slipping!"

"You call that fast?! I felt like I was drowning in books and..." Suddenly, Star remembered something her mother asked her to do. "BOOKS! Darn it, I forgot about that!"

"What's the matter, Star?"

"It's just that mother wants me to read more this school year" she began to explain, "and she told me that she wanted me to bring at least one book back home today"

"Pfft, of course she does! I doubt there is another bookworm like her in the entire kingdom."

Star limited herself to just smile. She knew her mother well, and for her that was the understatement of the year.

"Well anyways... I won't take long, just a visit to the library and that's all."

"Alright Star, see you in the cafeteria!"

Starburst then rushed towards the school's library, hoping to find one book that at least didn't make her sleep.

Once she was there, Starburst looked around the large place. The school library was pretty big and wide, filled to the brim with books. Despite the years, it hadn't changed a single bit; at most only the computers were the most modern model. But even with all that, Star couldn't help noticing something.

"Huh, is this always empty? Or just because it's the first day?"

Trying to not care that much about it, she checked the multiple shelves trying to find a title she didn't consider boring... A really hard task for someone who disliked reading.

"Hmm... No, this one looks boring... This one too... And this one... Ugh! Who am I kidding? I wasn't born for this."

Despite that, she continued looking for something to read, or at least pretend to read. That was until she felt a weird sensation of being watched.

"Huh? What the... Hello? Is anyone there?" But there was no answer, the library remained silent. "Hmm... Must've been my imagination."

Starburst was about to move to another shelf, when suddenly the sounds of piles of books, accompanied by a girl’s yell, came onto her attention.

"...Not!" She quickly moved to where the sound came, and what was her surprise to see another girl: the stranger wore a purple hoodie, covering her face and hair, and a matching pair of pants. The poor girl was covered by a big pile of books; probably she was carrying them and then slipped. Starburst was unable to recognize the girl. "Are you alright?"

"Oww, my head... Y-yes, I'm..." The moment she raised her head and looked at Star, the strange girl screamed in surprise. While her hair was covered by the hoodie, Star noticed she had lavender-like eyes, and somewhat of a familiarity in her semblance.

"Hey, calm down, I was just asking, or... Do we know each other from somewhere?"

"Eeeh, who? We? N-No, not at all." The girl sounded confused, scared and nervous.

"I swear there's something about you that..." Star was trying to find something familiar of the strange girl, but the only person she could compare her was definitively crazy. "Nevermind, maybe it's just I didn't expect someone else around."

"Well that makes us two then! Heheh... Heh..." an awkward silence filled the library as Starburst and the odd girl exchanged views, not knowing what to say now. Trying to get away as fast as possible, Star remembered why she was there on the first place.

"So, uh... Where you looking for a book too?"

"Oh, not really. I'm kind of... A supervisor?" Star noticed the clear doubt on her answer, but concluded it was only because of how awkward the encounter was.

"I see. Oh, I'm Starburst, by the way." Reminded of her mother's lessons, she tried to be a little bit more open to this stranger. "What's your name?"

"Oh, my name?!" The girl said having some kind of panic attack. "Oh right, my name... Uhm... It's, eh..."

"What? Too ashamed to say it?" Starburst tried to calm her, but she wasn't exactly the most tactful girl in the world. "Come on, it's just a name. It might be ridiculous but just say it."

"Uhm, ok ok... It's... Moon... Shine Twinkle?" While she didn't exactly burst in laughter, Star chuckled a little after hearing that.

"Moonshine Twinkle? Well that's quite the name."

"Thanks, it's.... Uh..." It appeared like they were going to have another moment of silence, but she was quick to bring things back on track. "Didn't you say you were looking for a book?"

"Oh? Oh right! Yeah, I was looking for something to read but, well, I haven't found anything interesting for..."

"How about this book?" The hooded girl then gave her a very peculiar book. "It's called "Daring Do and the Sapphire Statue!"

"Daring... Do?" Starburst looked at the dusty book in curiosity. "Well, this looks interesting."

"It's one of my favorites! I'm pretty sure you'll love it!" the enthusiasm in that girl reminded Star a lot to her mother, so much that it was starting to freak her out.

"Uh, thanks! I... I guess I should go. A friend is waiting for me at the cafeteria. So... Thanks!"

Star quickly turned around and left with the book, wondering about the girl.

"What a strange girl." She thought. "I swear, she looked and acted a lot like... Maybe it's just a coincidence. A freaky, odd coincidence."

Meanwhile, hidden behind the mysterious, a young boy with green, spiky hair came out and approached his partner.

"That girl... Was it just me or does she looks really familiar?" He said looking as Starburst left the library.

"It's definitely not just you. She looked so... Awfully familiar to me."

Author's Note:

Alright! So finally got myself some time to write this story. You might have some questions just for this one chaoter, and I'm just gonna answer what I can without spoiling what is coming:
- This Equestria is an humanized AU, a mixture between the humanverse of the Equestria Girls series and the Equestria we all know and love.
- Canterlot High here doubles as Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorns, if you had that doubt.
- The Princesses double as monarchs and Principals of the school.
- In this Universe, many characters of the Kilalaverse haven't been born. So don't be surprised to not see somebody.
- I won't spoil much, but there will be some explanation behind the Mane 6, and why one speciffic character is a little more... bitter than usual.
I hope you enjoy this chapter, and be ready for what I have in hand for the future. See ya then!