• Published 23rd May 2015
  • 2,424 Views, 62 Comments

Starchildren - Stratocaster



An alternate plot of the rise of Nightmare Moon, with a shocking twist.

  • ...
8
 62
 2,424

Moonrise

Chapter 4: Moonrise

"Mmph...agh...erm...huh? Wha...What happened?"

Twilight stirred awake with blurry vision. She found herself lying on her side in the dirt and slowly sat up. The last thing she remembered was leaving Ponyville in the middle of an apple bob to find Shining Armor. But as she gazed around at her surroundings, Twilight gasped at the sight of Princess Celestia lying under a tomb of stone, pushing the brink of exhaustion. Suddenly the memory of being struck by her brother came to her with dread. She quickly regained her composure and rushed over to the downed princess. What she didn't realize was that Celestia had used up whatever remaining magic energy she had to revive Twilight from the deadly destruction spell.

"Princess Celestia!" she cried as she knelt down beside her. "Are you alright?"

Slowly, Celestia reopened her eyes and raised her head enough to look upon her student. "Twilight, I'm glad you survived." She said weakly. She decided not to tell her about the revival spell, not wanting her to feel guilty.

"What happened?" asked Twilight, fearfully. "That pony who attacked me, that couldn't have been Shining Armor, right?"

Celestia grunted, trying to stay in focus. "Twilight, I'm sorry. It was in fact Shining Armor. But he wasn't the brother you remember."

"What do you mean?"

"He's been corrupted by the wicked forces of Nightmare Moon."

Twilight stared in awe. "So it's true. Nightmare Moon was supposed to return on the solstice. But what does my brother have to do with her?"

"I rushed over to Ponyville when I found out." Celestia explained. "Some time ago, Nightmare Moon captured three ponies from Equestria and erased their memories. She then molded them into powerful guardians with dark magic and sent them here to help reawaken her and spread eternal night across Equestria."

"So that's how Shining Armor went missing all those years ago?" frowned Twilight.

"I'm afraid so." Celestia said. "And it appears the same has happened to Thunderlane and Big Macintosh."

Then, Twilight gazed up at the sky. The full moon shone with blinding brilliance as a mass of black clouds swirled around it. The familiar mark of the dark goddess's face on the lunar surface had now vanished.

"I think we may be too late to stop her." Twilight said sullenly. "The seal of Nightmare Moon has been broken. We're doomed."

"Not yet." Celestia replied. "Twilight, do remember reading about the Elements of Harmony?"

Twilight thought. "Yes. The Elements of Harmony were what banished Nightmare Moon in the first place."

"And they will be needed to save Equestria once again." Celestia said. "I wish it were a better time to tell you this, Twilight, but you are the key to the Elements of Harmony."

"Huh?" stammered Twilight. "What does that mean? What are the Elements anyway?"

"The prophecy states that when Nightmare Moon returns to Equestria," explained Celestia. "Six ponies will be called upon to wield the Elements, in the form of magical jewels. Each of these Elements represents a different aspect of friendship, which is the force that binds them, and all of Equestria, together. Honesty, Loyalty, Kindness, Generosity, Laughter, and of course Magic which is the key Element to reawaken the rest. And that Element is you, Twilight. You are destined to lead the Elements of Harmony."

Twilight gawked in disbelief. "Me? Why me?! I'm not anything special."

"That is not true." Celestia smiled. "Few ponies in history have shown the same magic potential as you. That is why when I learned you were the Element of Magic, I wanted to train you and prepare you to carry on the responsibility as a protector of Equestria."

"But what about the other Elements?" she asked. "How am I supposed to find them?"

"Why, you have already found them." Celestia said. "I said that I sent you to Ponyville to prepare the festival and make friends. But that was only half of your mission. Because those friends you make will be more important than you realize."

"You mean Applejack?" Twilight gasped. "And Fluttershy and-"

"I see my advice was well taken." Celestia sighed as she laid her head lower.

"Princess, you're not well." Twilight knelt down. "I can't just leave you here, I have to get you some help."

"Don't worry about me, my student." Celestia assured her. "My energy will regain eventually. But you must not waste any time." She pushed herself to stay awake. "Twilight, you and your friends must travel to the Castle of the Two Sisters. It is there where you will find the amulets that contain the power of the Elements. Be weary, for Nightmare Moon's sight reaches far and she knows well of the prophecy. But only through the unity of friendship can you and the others defeat her."

"But Princess, I...I don't think I can handle this." Twilight trembled. "I'm so scared, I don't know what to do!"

"I know this is a heavy burden, my child." Celestia clutched her hoof. "But I have watched you grow and learn so much these past years, and I can easily say that you have the strength and wisdom to conquer any challenge. And as for your brother, do not fret. He, Thunderlane, and Big Macintosh can still find themselves, if you can break Nightmare Moon's hold of them. As long as you have the Elements on your side, and the friendship that binds you, everything will be alright."

Twilight wiped a tear from her eye as she knelt down to hug her beloved mentor. "Promise me you will be too."

"Of course, Twilight." Celestia smiled as she laid her head down, slipping into unconsciousness. "I have complete faith in you, in the Elements, and in the fate of Equestria."

Twilight watched with anguish as her dear teacher fell into a comatose state, drained of her magic vitality. Learning about her destiny with the Elements of Harmony, combined with knowing that her brother had become a brainwashed guardian of darkness, was too much for the young unicorn to bear. At that moment, all she wanted to do was cry. But she knew better than to put aside a responsibility given by the Princess. Deep down, she knew that she had to pursue this mission for the good of ponykind. And so, Twilight cast away her sadness and galloped off back to Ponyville, to rally the Elements of Harmony.

...

The dark mass continued to shroud Ponyville as she stood in fearsome might. Nightmare Moon gazed around at the crowd of mortal ponies staring back in awe, reveling in the attention. It had been a thousand years since she had been in the company of so many.

"Ah, how I've missed the mortal kind." She said softly. "So innocent. So naive."

The ponies froze and shivered in fright at the goddess's imposing presence. "Nightmare Moon?!" gawked Rainbow Dash. "I thought she was just a myth!"

"How ghastly!" shuddered Rarity.

"My children!" Nightmare Moon's voice echoed throughout the countryside. "I have returned after a long and grueling millennium! Do not be frightened by my appearance, little ponies. I did not wait all that time to cause harm to innocent souls. I am simply here to relieve you from the misguided ways of my tyrant sister. The sun has blinded you from the universe, and from what is virtuous, and forced you to worship its deadly fire. Well I will not impose my rule on you, dear ponies. You will be free to live the lives you want, in peace and order. As long, of course, as you give praise to my everlasting night. For only darkness can comfort you."

"What the heck is she talkin' about?!" blurted Applejack.

"Thunderlane! Thunderlane!" Rumble charged through the crowd toward the center where the goddess stood.

"Rumble no!" called Fluttershy. "What are you doing?!"

The young colt ran up to the trio of dark guardians, his face filled with panic and desperation. "Big bro! What's going on?!" he called out. "Why are you with this monster?"

Dark Star sneered down at him. "I ain't your brother, kid." He said harshly. "And the only brothers I have are right here."

"Thunderlane...I don't understand." Rumble began to cry. "What's the matter with you?! You're scaring me!" he reached out for his brother's hoof.

But Dark Star responded with a kick of his front hoof. Rumble fell far back from the painful impact.

"Rumble!" shouted Fluttershy as she rushed to the colt's aid. She looked up at the corrupted pegasus as she cradled Rumble. "Thunderlane, how could you?"

Nightmare Moon chuckled to herself. She could already sense the familiar power within the young mare. "I am surprised you could not see our ruse, Element of Harmony. Did you honestly think the pony you knew so long ago would just reappear this suddenly? Your defeat will be easier than I imagined."

Fluttershy cowered with a squeak under the goddess's intimidating stare.

"I'm afraid you and your allies will not be able to witness the rise of my glorious night." Nightmare Moon continued. "I must not let the defenders of Celestia stand in my way. And so, you will be terminated."

Pinkie Pie darted her head around. "Is she talking to us?"

"Listen, lady!" Rainbow hovered and jabbed her hoof in Nightmare Moon's direction. "If you got a problem with us, we'll make sure you won't set one hoof in this town!"

"Ah, I see at least one of you is willing to fight." Nightmare Moon scoffed. "I suppose the time is right." She then hailed her guardians. "My sons, you have made your mother proud and have proved your worth. But now is the time for your biggest task yet. Defeat the Elements of Harmony and wipe out all traces of Celestia's order. And to aid in your endeavor, I shall bestow upon you the true strength of guardians of the night."

With a glow from her horn, she enveloped her sons in her aura. Up in the night sky, the three stars that glowed with her sons' power, one white, one red, and one dark blue, illuminated with the intensity of massive suns. The silhouettes of Nightmare Moon's apprentices glowed with the same brightness, until the aura whisked away. The guardians of night had taken on their ultimate form.

White Nebula looked in surprise, finding himself dressed in a suit of articulated steel armor, complete with protective horseshoes, and a helmet with a blue-haired crest. Dark Star received a similar suit, but with a sleeker, more aerodynamic design, with pointed ends and sharp blades strapped to his wings. As for Red Nova, his armor was much more heavy and blockier, and included a horned helmet, clobbering boots and a warhammer attached by a chain.

"Your new magic armor shall enhance your strength in battle." Nightmare Moon. "There is no telling how these Elements of Harmony will try to defend themselves, but they should be no match for your ultimate power."

"Thank you, Mother." Nebula smiled. "It will serve us well."

Rumble stirred after nearly falling unconscious. A black bruise was left on his cheek. "Fluttershy?" he looked up.

"Rumble, listen to me," urged Fluttershy. "You have to run. Find your parents and get to somewhere safe."

"But what about you?" quivered Rumble.

"I'll be fine, sweetie." She said, trying to reassure him with a smile. "And so will your brother." Suddenly, Fluttershy gasped as a purple glow formed around her body. She looked to see that Applejack, Rainbow, Rarity and Pinkie were all glowing with the same border as well.

The glow came from an indicator spell used by Nightmare Moon. "The Elements stand before you, my sons!" she commanded. "Make their demise swift!"

"Yes, Mother." Red Nova said deeply as he and his brother marched toward their targets.

"Go, Rumble! Run!" said Fluttershy.

With much hesitation, Rumble decided to escape the ensuing danger, but not before hugging his virtual big sister's leg. "Please be okay, Fluttershy. You and Big Bro." He cried before Fluttershy urged him off.

The citizens of Ponyville entered a state of panic and quickly vacated the hillside in a frenzy. The five remaining mares froze in fright as the three armor-clad stallions prepared to terminate them. Applejack broke from her friends and stepped up to the warriors.

"Big Mac! Snap out of it!" she pleaded. "Don't you recognize yer own lil' sis?"

"I have no sister." Red Nova said flatly.

"How can ya say that?" frowned Applejack. "Yer not you anymore!" She looked over at Nightmare Moon with a scowl. "You witch! Give me back mah brother!"

"Accept your fate with dignity, minion of Celestia!" scorned Nightmare Moon.

"Hey, Neb," murmured Dark Star. "Don't you think this is a little too easy? I mean, these dumb mares look like they don't even know what's going on."

"We have no choice, Dark," said Nebula. "If we don't take care of them now, they'll just try to stop us later. It's better to eliminate them when they're least powerful."

"Let's just get this over with." Nova grumbled.

Pinkie stared blankly as they approached. "Um, I hate to break the drama, buuuut..." She then lifted up Fluttershy over her head and shouted. "RUN FOR YOUR LIVES!!!"

Rarity ran after Pinkie, but was slowed down as she grabbed Rainbow's tail in her teeth and dragged her along.

"No! Lemme at em!" Rainbow tried to fly off from her grasp. "I can take em all single-hoofed!"

"Will you please have some common sense, Rainbow?!" retorted Rarity.

Applejack was not ready to leave her brother, still confident that there was at least a shred of his old self still in him. But in that moment, she knew well that he was possessed by something beyond her understanding, and now her life was in danger. With a final saddened look at her brother, Applejack fled with her friends.

"Hmph, like I said, too easy." Dark Star smirked as he unfurled his bladed wings and sprung off toward the escaping mares. As he glided through the air, he summoned a current of lightning through his hooves and prepared to stun the lot of them. But before he could get the chance, his attack was interrupted by a flash of bright purple light. "What the crap?!" Dark Star stopped in midair. To his amazement, the mares had completely disappeared.

"Huh?!" gawked Nova. "Where'd they go?!"

"I'm not crazy, right?!" Dark Star darted his head. "They were just here, weren't they?!"

"You idiots," sulked Nebula. "That was a teleportation spell."

"Agh! I knew we shouldn't have been stalking dramatically!" groaned Dark.

"It would take a unicorn with some pretty strong magic to cast a teleportaion spell for multiple ponies." Nebula pondered.

"Maybe it was that white mare who wined a lot." Nova said. "Although she didn't look that powerful for an Element of Harmony."

"No, there is another." Nightmare Moon approached them. "A sixth Element has been hiding nearby and must have used that spell to save the other five. I sense her presence, and it seems her magical power could be enough to rival my sister's."

Nebula's eyes shot wide with realization. "No. It can't be."

"What?" asked Dark.

"It's Twilight Sparkle," he explained. "The one who thought I was her brother. I faced her when I went to order Celestia to lower the sun. She was a personal student of Celestia, and I could somehow tell she was an Element of Harmony. But there's no way she can still be around! I eliminated her myself!"

"And yet she is still alive." Nightmare Moon said with clairvoyance. "Do not blame yourself, White Nebula. If I am correct, my conniving sister made a last attempt to revive this Twilight Sparkle. Such a spell would completely exhaust her in the state you put her in during your battle. And I can sense that Celestia's magic has waned dry. At least she is out of the fight."

"So where are they now, Mother?" asked Dark.

Nightmare Moon closed her eyes to try to hone in on the Elements' souls. "Hmm, their presence is shrouded. The pony named Twilight Sparkle is more clever than I expected. But I may have an idea of where these mares might be headed. My sons, you must travel to the Castle of the Two Sisters. It is a castle that my sister and I shared before my banishment, in what is now the Everfree Forest. The prophecy states that the Elements of Harmony will find the source of their power in that castle. You must stop this from being fulfilled at all costs."

"You can count on us, Mother." Nova said.

"Take head, my sons." Nightmare Moon advised. "The Everfree Forest is home to many dangers and oddities. Still, it will be nothing compared to your powers. But the Elements are weak and may fall prey to these dangers. Use the darkness of the forest to your advantage, halt the Elements in their tracks, and do all you can to erase them from history."

"We will not fail you, Mother." Nebula bowed. "The Elements of Harmony will be vanquished."

"May the majesty of my eternal night protect you, my sons." Nightmare Moon grinned.

...

"Holy cow!" shouted Pinkie, suddenly finding herself lying in front of a curious cow staring back at her.

"Uh, what just happened?" Rainbow darted her head around, after she and her friends had suddenly been transported to a wide open cow ranch a short distance away from Ponyville.

"Ah! I knew it!" Rarity shrieked, being held in Applejack's hooves in a cowardly manner. "Those brutes attacked us with magic!"

"Hey, mah brother ain't no brute!" Applejack dropped her.

"I don't think that blast came from any of those three." Fluttershy scratched her head.

"Sorry about that." Twilight Sparkled appeared among them. "I saw that you guys were in trouble, so I had to teleport you as far away as I could. Are you all okay?"

"Oh Twilight!" said Fluttershy. "It was horrible! The evil Nightmare Moon returned! And she made Thunderlane attack us! And Big Macintosh too! And...oh, I'm afraid your brother joined them as well."

"Yes, I know." Twilight lowered her head, still accepting the truth.

"Wait, you knew?!" Rainbow sneered. "How could you have known your brother is working for Nightmare Moon?"

"Princess Celestia told me everything." Twilight explained. "When Shining Armor, Big Macintosh and Thunderlane went missing, it was really Nightmare Moon who captured them. She trained them to sneak into Equestria and resurrect her on the evening of the Summer Sun Celebration."

"So...they were kidnapped?" shuddered Fluttershy.

"The Princess told you that?" came Rainbow. "Well where is she?"

"Yeah, ya think she'd be able to stop all this whacko doom and gloom stuff from happening here!" added Pinkie.

"She tried to fend off the boys when they arrived." Twilight said. "But they were too powerful. She's okay, but her magic was depleted before Nightmare Moon showed up."

"Celestia defeated?" gasped Rarity. "That just doesn't sound likely!"

"Yeah, I don't really buy it either." Rainbow said.

"I don't like it either, but that's what happened." Twilight told them. "But don't worry, there's good news too. We can still drive away Nightmare Moon."

"You're right!" Pinkie lit up. "We take every light we can find and shine them at her! Then she'll think the sun is out and she'll get scared and go away! It's so simple!"

"Uh, not exactly." Twilight continued. "The key to saving Equestria lies within you guys."

"What does that mean?" asked Fluttershy.

"This might sound crazy," she said. "But Princess Celestia told me that the six of us represent the fabled Elements of Harmony, the forces of friendship that protect Equestria. She told me that if we locate the magic amulets that contain the power of the Elements in the Everfree Forest, then we'll have enough combined energy to end the eternal night."

The other five mares stared back at her dumbfounded. "You lost me at 'this might sound crazy'." Pinkie said.

"One moment," Rarity shook her head. "You're saying that the six of us just happen to be these so-called Elements?"

"I know it sounds a bit ludicrous," said Twilight. "But Princess Celestia told me herself."

"And how are we supposed to believe that?" asked Rainbow.

"Because I'm her student!" urged Twilight. "Look, I'm telling you all the truth. And the more time we waste discussing it, the more we risk Nightmare Moon beating us to the Elements."

"You'll have to forgive me, Twilight," discerned Rarity. "But I find it hard to trust your word on this."

"Yeah," added Rainbow. "Especially since you showed up on the very same day that Nightmare Moon did."

"But I knew about Nightmare Moon's legend before coming to Ponyville." Twilight retorted. "I even suspected that the prophecy of her return would come true during the celebration."

Applejack looked at her with suspicion. "So you were expecting this to happen, but didn't do anything about it?"

"Well...I mean...that's not exactly what I'm saying." Twilight stammered.

"Ya know what I think?" Rainbow stalked toward Twilight, interrogative. "I think you were in on this whole thing! I think that you and your brother were minions of Nightmare Moon from the beginning, and somehow got Big Mac and Thunderlane involved to plan her return!"

"What?!" Twilight was taken aback. "That is downright ridiculous! Why would I, an apprentice of the Princess, help to bring about devastation to all of Equestria?!"

"I bet Nightmare Moon placed here in the beginning to get on Celestia's good side." Rainbow glowered. "That way you could get close enough to bring her down! Which is why she hasn't arrived to save the day!"

"It is a bit of a coincidence, you being here." Rarity added. "And how do we know you're not just leading us into the forest for some kind of trap? If we really are the Elements of Harmony, surely you must be trying to get rid of us."

"How can you say that?!" replied Twilight. "I'm trying to help you guys!"

"Save it, liar!" Rainbow glared. "After what we've just seen, why should we trust some brainiac we just met?!"

"You can't seriously think I would deceive you!" said Twilight.

Applejack approached her. "Twilight, I may not fully understand what's goin' on, but I want nothin' to do with it. All I saw back there was pure evil. And if my brother's return in too good to be true, then I don't know what to believe anymore."

"Applejack, you have to believe me," pleaded Twilight. "We can save your brother."

"No, that wasn't the Big Mac I know." Applejack said sternly. "I wish I can trust and understand what yer sayin', Twilight. I wish I can help ya try to end this craziness. But I can't. I just don't know who to trust now."

"So if you'll excuse us, 'Student of Celestia'," huffed Rainbow as she walked away back toward Ponyville. "I think we'll be better off at the mercy of eternal night."

"I suppose we'll just have to suffer like the rest of Equestria." Rarity sighed as she followed her.

Applejack solemnly joined them without another word.

"But...but I'm not...Ugh!" Twilight clasped her hoof over her face in sorrow. She had already failed to carry on Celestia's mission to rally the Elements and set out to defeat Nightmare Moon. It seemed that by revealing the truth about the prophecy, she had only put more fear and distrust in their minds. Twilight had never felt more hopeless.

"Now just hold on one minute!" Fluttershy called after the three departing mares, standing firm and forceful.

Rainbow, Rarity and Applejack quickly spun around, surprised at the shy pony's objection.

"How can you call Twilight a traitor, after what has happened?!" said Fluttershy. "If anypony here knows a thing or two about the prophecy of Nightmare Moon, it's her. I say she was sent here on this day to help Equestria, not destroy it. I know you're scared after what we've just seen. I'm scared too. Thunderlane was a dear friend of mine and I was crushed to see him controlled by Nightmare Moon. But is that any reason for us to turn on each other? I say we trust Twilight the best we can. Not just because she was sent by Princess Celestia, but because she's our friend. We all said so. So if there's evil spreading across Equestria, who else can we trust than our friends?"

Rarity frowned out of guilt. "I suppose I was a bit rash."

Applejack sighed and walked back. "Twilight, I'm sorry." She said. "I just don't know how to react with what's goin' on."

"I know, Applejack." Twilight replied with sincerity. "To be honest, I'm just as scared as you are. I know it might be hard to trust me now, but I promise you, we will make things right. And we will get our brothers back."

"In that case, we will follow you anywhere, Twilight." Rarity smiled at her.

"Are you in too, Rainbow?" asked Fluttershy.

Rainbow sneered, hating to be wrong. But a part of her mind knew that she was better off putting her trust in the strange unicorn from Canterlot. "Alright, let's do this." She said with a sulk. "But I still have my doubts."

"I understand." Twilight grinned with a shrug. "If I was in your position, I would probably think I'm lying too."

"Well what are we waiting for?!" Pinkie sprang with excitement. "Let's head into the spooky woods and get those Elements!"

"Let's do this for Princess Celestia!" rallied Twilight.

"And for our boys!" added Applejack.

"And for the sun of course!" said Rarity with a flourish. "I look better in the light!"

"Yeah! I'm ready to kick some serious moon-butt!" Rainbow cracked her hooves.

"Um, how spooky are these woods?" quivered Fluttershy, as the six mares headed off to liberate Equestria.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the late chapter. :twilightoops: