• Published 17th May 2012
  • 3,010 Views, 93 Comments

Only Chapter 12 is any good - SRC



An allegory with themes of industrialization, psychological conflict, sociopolitical reforms, philosophy, science, etc.

  • ...
16
 93
 3,010

Chapter 1: The Fluttershy Menace

The Human Within.

by SRC

Note: Sentences in this specific colour indicate direct character thoughts.

As I emerged slowly from the profound darkness of the thick forest, my eyes were instantly blinded from both the sudden light and the amazing splendour I now beheld in front of me. I stood in awe, admiring the breath-taking valley of amber and sapphire in all its majestic glory. It was of unfathomable grandeur, unlike anything I had ever experienced. The delicate and soft aroma that floated delightfully in the air was certainly most exquisite, along with the sight of the dandelion seeds dancing gracefully as they were guided by the smooth breeze. Time slowed down as every singular instant took its own sweet time. At the edge of the peaceful and silent river of lapis colour, I fell to my knees. Partly because of the exceptional scenery: the heavens were of a seemingly impossible hue, reminiscent of fantastic paintings of fiction, with a perfect definite contrast between the reddish pink of the high clouds and the golden white of the setting sun. My eyes closed as I attempted to soothe my worries and pains by focusing all my attention to my senses; under my hands, the earth felt alive. It was green and fertile, with a thin and subtle layer of new spring water sprinkled over the grass and leaves. In the cradle of it all rested a sleepy little town, surrounded by farmland and protected by a staggering city built into the imposing mountain that watched over the landscape. However, I could not completely drown the shock that came with the cognizance of the situation: Larry was nowhere to be found, and I was now a long way from lovely Canada...

If only it was under different circumstances that I discovered this delightful place... For the past five days, my life has taken a most abrupt turn: awakening with a headache and broken memories, I had to do my best to survive the strange and exotic environment that is this forest. I am a man of reason and logic, always keeping my calm under tense situations; I take a hard, empirical look at the facts and then formulate a hypothesis to explain those facts. Don't get me wrong though, I am not a person without faith.

And so in the past week, I have met and studied a diverse biome of creatures and plants, all holding very peculiar characteristics and abilities I never thought possible, some performing feats that I cannot manage to rationalize, almost as if it were... magic. Ridiculous, I know, but after some very heavy thinking, the facts lead me to the conclusion that I have so feared until now: not only am I not in Canada, I am probably not even on Earth.

Yet the most disturbing and upsetting part of my situation is my lack of knowledge on how it all even came to be! The only memories pertaining to me being in this foreign land are sketchy at best... There was screaming, running... we were being chased. Most likely by one of the beasts inhabiting this forest, but I was not alone, that I am sure of. Larry was with me. My very best friend since high school, we've always been best buddies, however his location is an absolute mystery to me. How we got here even more! I can only hope he is still alive.

But I mustn't be held back by the past, I shall press on until I can find the answers, and I think I know where to begin. The town that lies a day's walk from here might very well hold the key, though it will require re-entry into the forest. Now, its inhabitants must be sentient to be organized in such a manner and likely capable of advanced, intelligent speech. This can be a good thing, or a very bad thing if they prove to be hostile... Unfortunately, I am inadequately prepared for such confrontation: all I have is a makeshift spear, a thick jacket and my backpack (containing some food, matches, a knife and an improvised grenade I fabricated with some aerosol cans of isopropyl-based insect repellent and matches as ignition), but gladly I've so far avoided trouble with the larger monstrosities that roam the forest.

Since I assume that my location is not Earth, consequently I must also assume the local population is not human, I shall therefore prepare myself for any possible scenario, and hope for the best...

What a nightmare this all is!

----------------

Nearing the town, I encountered a dirt trail and decided to follow it, it led to an exit that overlooked a modest cottage with a large open space. I closed in warily, making use of cover to conceal my approach so as to pass undetected. I hoped to catch a glimpse of the sentient creatures, and as I looked around my mind wandered off, imagining all sorts of beasts. What awaited me? I began to sweat under the anxiety, what could it be, what could it be? Green dudes? Talking fish? Huge reptiles?

My thoughts were cut off by the sound of movement, someone was coming!

I peeked over my cover.

My breathing intensified.

A meter-tall, joyful light-yellow female pony came into view, singing and fluttering about in a shy manner by the use of its wings.

"...what? Ponies? That's the menacing man-eating beasts I was so afraid of?"

I relaxed and sat with my back against my cover and set down my spear.

I took a deep breath, "Pfft. Please. Look at her, she's even adorable! My worries can be put to rest now, they look absolutely harmless!"

I stood up and turned around to see the aforementioned pony engaged in a brutal fight with a huge bear.

I fell down in shock and screamed, "OH, GOD."

She swiftly landed a few hits and proceeded to snap the bear's neck. It fell to the ground in a brutal thud and did not move. The beast didn't stand a chance. This just keeps getting better and better!

"This can't be happening! This can't be!... How-, What-, That little thing, how could-" I blurted out incoherently. I was completely speechless.

"These things are dangerous! SAVAGES. They look weak to attract their prey! They'll shred me to pieces in an instant, that yellow pony will break my bones effortlessly, I don't stand I chance! I must run- RUN!"

Cowardly, I beat it as fast as I could. I've never run so fast in my life. Sadly, it did nothing to improve my situation: I soon ran into an egg nest and tripped over an empty shell, falling face down. I stopped to catch my breath.

I panted as I tried keep it together and regain my composure.

Standing up, it was then that I realized, my breathing wasn't the only one around...


[Pause for dramatic effect.]


"Well, shit."