• Published 17th May 2012
  • 3,010 Views, 93 Comments

Only Chapter 12 is any good - SRC



An allegory with themes of industrialization, psychological conflict, sociopolitical reforms, philosophy, science, etc.

  • ...
16
 93
 3,010

Chapter 5: Change of Perspective (Revised)

Note: Dialogue in this specific color is also an inner monologue of Charles...

Author note: As I stated in the long description, I will attempt my best at depicting Charles' psychological state, including emotions, reflections and decision rationale. What I'm trying to do is describe in detail his point of view, a journey through his mind of sorts. This is the reason as to why I might use different colors to show what he is thinking: I'm representing the inner conflict of values and interests that we all experience when faced with a choice or an interesting situation. In reality, one should interpret these introspective discussions as a portrayal of this thought process through the separation of contrasting opinions... (Even to the extent of some simplification.) This is all an experiment to me, so I shall remind you the readers that your reactions and appreciation of this, as well as other aspects of the story, are very much welcome. Please excuse this interruption, and please do enjoy this chapter! :3

--------

Darkness enveloped my being, and my sight perceived only pitch blackness. A small laugh became audible, then stopped.

A hoarse voice emerged from the void: "I'm sorry, Charles. I only did what I had to do."

I heard what seemed like an explosion, then my senses returned to me.

My eyes shut open and I let out a loud gasp before rolling on my side. My breathing was heavy and my skin sweaty: I had just experienced a dreadful nightmare whose vividness I shall never forget... A horrible dream of a merciless murder! Why did I dream that...? I wonder, and it makes me worry.

Gladly, I was back in reality, covered by my blankets in Twilight's home. My injuries did feel a little better and yesterday's headache was gone. But somehow, even after all that's been going on, at that moment I felt filled with energy! I stood up and shouted for Twilight. No response. It was pretty early in the morning, so she must have left for supplies, or maybe she had some errands to do.

"All I can do is wait here, I suppose."

I walked around the library and went through the book sections searching for what might be a good way to kill some time. I very much enjoyed reading, but never did have the time to delve much into literature: being always busy with my new work, and before that, my university studies in engineering and biology. Though I did find my chosen fields fascinating, my true passion lied in political science, philosophy and maybe theology. But then again one doesn't make much money thinking about life, purpose, human nature and et cetera!

After skimming through the entire scientific section, I picked out a few books of interest: The Illustrated Encyclopedia on Pony Anatomy, Times of Change: The Transformation of Equestrian Society and The Traditional Equestrian Doctrine.

I took them with me to my bed, were I sat down to begin my study.

I wasn't going to read them all now, obviously, but I did have some itching questions I might get the answer to if I read selectively. The first and foremost thing that was really bothering me was magic. For this specific reason I picked the encyclopedia. I just had to obtain the answers!

I had seen with my own eyes the 'proof' of it, yet my mind couldn't, it just couldn't completely believe it! There had to be some physics, some order to all that! You cannot just move things around effortlessly: firstly you need energy. You need energy for everything. Every single movement and manipulation of matter requires it... Where does Twilight obtain hers?

Opening the encyclopedia and skipping to the chapter on horns, I found the existence of an extremely peculiar biological structure found within a horn... The book described it as follows:

"The energetic center in which a unicorn's magic is ultimately focused. It permits the physical manifestation of the user's magic potential, and has been found to be uniquely synchronized to its bearer through an unbreakable genetic bond formed during the pony's fetal development stage. Though further research on this miraculous wonder is not restricted, it has proven to be extremely limited by the fact that surgical removal of the semi-crystalline organ would inevitably result in the death of the patient unicorn. And even when it is extracted post-mortem, since it may only be activated and utilized by the original owner, it reacts absolutely inertly to any and all external stimuli. Therein lies the reason of our minimal comprehension on this subject."

I was astonished by this founding. I had stumbled upon the explanation of it all, I think.

"Well, knowledge on it might be pretty rudimentary and incomplete, but I'm relieved to see that 'magic' at least isn't some sort of fairy-tale power that comes out of nowhere and just spontaneously creates energy... Hehe, that would be ludicrous!"

I set the book down and grabbed Times of Change. It looked relatively newer compared to the others, and had the image of a locomotive on its front cover, along with a team of grimy stallions posing for the photo.

I then proceeded to read the first 40 pages.

A contemporary book on history, it spoke of recent technological advances. Interestingly, none of these 'cutting edge experimental prototype inventions', as the book described them, where anywhere near the human scientific level in 2023. To Earth standards, I'd say Equestria is just beginning its own First Industrial Revolution. The signs are there, this land is indeed entering 'Times of Change'.

The volume does indicate though, that it seems Celestia's government hasn't been so quick to embrace this wave of progress, and holds very few manufacturing centers. Their trains, railroad tracks, steel and other industrial products are mainly imported from the neighboring pony nation. (With whom relationships are somewhat strained, but represent their largest trading partners.)

Lastly, I went with The Traditional Equestrian Doctrine. This one was clearly much older than other ones, but kept in a reasonable condition. Being a book on pony theology, this was going to be intriguing...

-One Hour Later-

"Now this is thought-provoking! Their beliefs hold surprising similarities with certain pagan traditions back on Earth, with a great emphasis on nature, and speaking of some bond between ponies and animals or plants..."

I neatly piled up my reading material and headed towards the library's second floor exit towards the balcony.

I opened the window-door and stepped out into the bright morning sun.

It was still before the usual waking time, since the streets were empty and the entire town was peacefully quiet. I admired the nearby mountains and forests, and basked for a few moments in the warm sunlight.

"You know what Charles? This isn't a curse... it is a blessing, don't you see? This world is naive, primitive, and mistaken; and only you hold the cure, the key to the future... the truth. With your human knowledge, you can save these people from their ignorance: you can show them the light! You know the secrets of industrialization, of science, of war... This is your unique chance, Charles. Your inner capitalist entrepreneur is calling to you: heed its call."

"Yes, truly, this is good fortune! I can revolutionize this country- this planet! I can share what I know to improve people's lives, to end social problems and grant them more freedom and better public systems. I can contribute to the well-being of society...!"

"But beware, you do not wish for the masses to become too content, if so, they will feel they that there is no need you... Then your opportunity to create the perfect society, a utopia, where things work as they should, will be lost! You must overhaul the entire system, bring about great change!"

"But what if they don't want change? What if they feel things are okay as they stand?

"Only you know what is best for everyone, and they shall listen to you, because it is you who will lead them to glory and prosperity! Most likely, they won't understand how, yet it matters little: they shall follow nonetheless... You will make them; for it is all for their own good."

"I know I can teach them great things, and maybe I do hold the truth... But I will not force anyone to do anything. They must do so by their own free will. Still, this knowledge I possess will be shared for the common good. With it, we can achieve a more advanced community... a more human one."

At loud, I stated decisively: "I understand now... I shall try to reshape and modernize Equestria, teaching them new ways to govern themselves, manage their society, grow their economy and raise their standard of living."

I nodded in agreement with myself.

"One thing though, major industrialization will require the razing of much area of forest for spacing and industry purposes... Their beliefs make them over-value this nature... Though the environment is important, it isn't to the extent of treating each tree as a person... I guess I'll have to replace their pagan traditions with human ones. I mean, might as well save their souls on the way, right?" I let out a small laugh.

"You know, conversion will also make a nice excuse to declare war on other nations..."

That would be wrong. I tried to ignore that last thought.

I went back in and descended the stairs to replace the books I took, then another thought crossed my mind.

"Wait, do ponies even have souls?"

I heard some noise coming in the direction of the door: Twilight was arriving.

She entered her home with some bags on her back.

"Hey Charles! You're awake already?"

"Yeah, I woke up early and couldn't go back to sleep."

She set down her stuff on a table and noticed the pile of books near my bed.

"I see you did some reading! On what subject?"

"Just some science and history..."

"Interesting, I didn't know figure you as a bookworm... So anyways, I brought some things for your burns that will help speed up the healing: extra bandages and a potion I got from my friend Zecora. Here, drink it."

Twilight handed it to me with magic, I took it in my hands and observed it. It was blue and smelled bad.

"Sure, what could go wrong?"

I drank it slowly and felt the thick liquid pass through my throat and start to make trouble in my stomach.

The reaction got stronger and stronger, until.......

It stopped and nothing else happened after that.

"Cool. So I'll feel better after some time?"

"Yeah, it should take effect by tomorrow."

"Awesome. So what do we do now, Twi?"

"Well, I was thinking of introducing you to Ponyville, but we should get something to eat first. One shouldn't start a day with an empty stomach!"

"You're right, but as you might have guessed, I don't eat hay."

"Don't worry, I thought of that. I also went to the market for an assortment of fruit."

"That'll be just perfect, Twilight."

We sat down around a low table and began eating in silence.

Hesitantly, I asked her:

"Hey, umm, have you thought about finding a way to send me back to Earth? As nice as this has been, I have responsibilities back home... And I would hate to leave my family alone like that and never return."

"Of course, you must miss your friends and parents very much."

"Heck yeah, I do. But I prefer not to dwell on the negative. So, forget it: great things lie ahead of us!"

I gave her a smile and stood up decisively.

I declared with energy:

"Now let's go freak out some town ponies!"

Author's Note:

7 months later, after having resumed writing, I erased the original end of this chapter. The more, "emotional" one. (Blergh.)
Honestly, it was terrible.