• Published 17th May 2012
  • 3,009 Views, 93 Comments

Only Chapter 12 is any good - SRC



An allegory with themes of industrialization, psychological conflict, sociopolitical reforms, philosophy, science, etc.

  • ...
16
 93
 3,009

Chapter 2: First Contact

*Gulp*

Hesitantly turning around, my eyes look up to meet those of the clearly enraged behemoth, it being about twice as tall as me. It had the look of an azure lizard, with dark thick plates of exoskeletal armour protecting its head, belly, back, and legs. Its vicious eyes were a bloody red and screamed of hate. I froze for a moment in shock and fear. The bipedal creature raised its right claws to strike and that's when I ran for it. This was going to be the run of my life!

I did my best to navigate the thick foliage but to my dismay, it started to gain on me, with its sharp fangs starting to expose themselves as it opened its mouth.

When I thought it was going to bite my torso clean off, it did something unexpected: it spewed out torrents of fire.

I was now completely engulfed on flames and my outer jacket had ignited, I danced around like a fool in an attempt to remove it. I jumped, screamed and rolled around until I managed to free myself from it, I had suffered some nasty burns on my back and left arm, but the adrenaline numbed out the pain. Now I could not believe what happened next, the creature sat down and started... laughing. Yeah. Not only does it try to eat and burn me, but seems to find it all very funny! How sadistic. Needless to say, I was pretty damn mad, it is clearly smarter than I attributed to it at first, possibly self-conscious. Then it chases me around, giving me a deadly fright, and when it could have ended it all and eaten me, it decides to instead turn me into a show and sets me alight just to entertain itself. It was cracked up and wouldn't stop. What an asshole.

I wasn't going to stand for this, oh no I wasn't.

"Let's see if you find this just as funny!"

I grinned as I ignited my improvised incendiary explosive.

"And now, the tables turn and the biter gets bit..."

Throwing the device with moderate precision it lands near its feet, as the temperature inside the cans rise, the creature stops, straightens its back and looks at it with great curiosity. The explosive being closer to its face, this is just what I need...

The first can pops and the others soon follow suit. The close proximity blinded the beast temporarily and sent it into a mad session of growls and chaos. It was obviously in great pain, and that was exactly what I wanted.

"That won't be enough to bring down a beast of that size, it will soon recover, what do I do? I won't manage to outrun it, and a frontal attack is suicide.. I must utilize this time to gain a strategic advantage over it and deliver a fatal blow to one of its exposed parts, that is my only chance."

Climbing a nearby tall tree whose branches hung about a meter over the lizard's head seemed like a sound idea. I hastily escalated it and set myself tactically on one of the branches in order to prepare for an attack, and not a moment too soon, for the creature had conquered its pain and started to look for me. Now, truly I tell you, it was furious! If this ambush failed and it got another chance, it would not stop a second before ripping me to pieces...

It scanned its surroundings, no sign of me. There was a terrible silence, with its heavy breathing being the only audible noise. After some time, it switched tactics, using the sense of smell. It was onto me, for it got ever closer and closer until it was right below me: the perfect position. It was starting to look up when I jumped from the branch with my lance at hand with the plan to break its skull with it. I fell with all my weight on top of its cranium and concentrated all my energy into the point of my weapon.

*CRACK*

Something shattered, and it wasn't the lizard's skull. The weapon's obsidian head broke into pieces and only managed to go a few centimetres into the protective plate. Man, was this exoskeleton well made. The beast stopped for a second and then proceeded to collapse in a thundering fall. The bigger they are, the harder they fall indeed. I might have not pierced anything, but the sheer energy of my falling mass on its skull was certainly enough to give it a nice concussion and cause disorientation as well as loss of balance. (To put things into perspective, if you weigh 75 kilograms, it would very much like getting hit by a weight of 25 kg on the head after said weight had fallen one meter, under a gravity of 9.81 m/s 2, this would equal to an impact velocity of around 4.429 m/s, which would finally translate to around 250 joules of kinetic energy. Due to the heavy layer protecting the zone of impact, acting as a sort of helmet, it dissipated and distributed the energy, finally reducing the hit to some 150 joules: certainly enough for the afore-mentioned effects to manifest. Still talking proportionally, of course!)

My rival now unconscious, there was no time to waste: it was laying on the ground and its neck was unprotected. I recovered my lancet with its broken point (ineffective, but sharp enough) and raised my weapon in the air, prepared of the final strike. I had emerged victorious, and now I would deal the death blow to my adversary... At the critical moment, a lonesome cry emerged out of the calm.

"STOOOOP!!!"

Looking to my left, I perceived the cream-coloured pony run towards us.

I flinched as I recognized it, I mean, that little thing can take down a bear single-handedly, it is a force to be reckoned with... Clearly, that's someone who knows where his towel is.

I stepped aside as it got closer and took my position near the knocked-out creature. The pony looked at it attentively, and extended a hoof to touch it. She had a profoundly sad look, with a worrisome expression, much like a mother attempting to comfort her hurt child. But the beast could wake up any second, it could hurt her and myself!

I started to talk: "Leave it, it's a horrible danger to-"

She cut me off, in a captivating, sweet voice: "Don't say anything... I don't know you, but I wasn't going to let you do anything that might harm this poor guy... Right now, he needs help, and you attempting to stab him wasn't going to do him any good."

"He's the one who needs help? It was trying to devour me just two minutes ago! Where were you to protect me from being eaten alive!? This is outrageous, this-" I raised my left hand to point at her, but the adrenaline had worn off and now my injuries were in full bloom, it stung like hell when I moved it. I suppressed a groan of pain, cutting my sentence off.

I decided it would be best to sit down against a tree and rest a bit.

The lizard suddenly opened its eyes and started to move in as it tried to stand back up, it failed though, it was still too dizzy.

Coming from the direction from which the pony arrived, I started to hear sounds of movement. Then emerged a similar creature, of lavender pigmentation, with a horn on her head: a unicorn. Seeing as the yellow one had wings, this wasn't that much shocking.

She had not seen me yet, and panting, called to her comrade in a preoccupied tone: "Fluttershy! I saw you running into the forest alone and started to worry! Are you alright? What happened to that creature? What was the loud noise that I heard when-"

I got up and approached her, she noticed me and froze with a frightened look in her eyes.

"Worry not! It was merely the sonic resonance induced by the rupture of the metallic container in which occurred a deliberate exothermic reaction resultant of the combustion of isopropyl alcohol through the implementation of a phosphorous sesquisulfide catalyst with the ulterior motive of being operated as an explosive weapon-device. In other words, I blew up a can," I stated plainly.

Her intimidated expression had subsided, and she was now simply looking at me weird with a raised eyebrow, much like a scientist witnessing an anomalous phenomena... not sure why though. Maybe because I was a strange hairless and scale-less bipedal creature which she has probably never seen before, who was explaining to her the functioning of some lethal contraption he made using a ridiculous vocabulary... Yeah, I think that might me why.

"Who... what are you?" she questioned inquisitively.

Meanwhile, this 'Fluttershy' was tending to the lizard, who was still having some problems with its stability on two feet.

"My name is Charles, and I belong to the human species. I am a foreigner to your land. I arrived here some days ago and am looking for a way to get back to where I come from."

"Wow, I've never seen something like you before, this is so exciting! You are wearing clothes and you walk on two legs... There are so many questions to be answered! You talk about your home: how is it? Where is it? How many of you are there? How come I've never heard about you before? Have you heard about us? And what about him unconscious over there, did you confront him?? How did you manage this, you don't have any apparent natural defenses?..."

This pony is crazy...!

"Whoa whoa, calm down! No need to get over-excited! Yes, I did fight that creature, it tried to eat me after all. I managed to do that with the help of the explosive device I mentioned earlier, now I'll answer all your questions if you will help me, you see, I... I..."

I couldn't concentrate anymore. She was starting to blur... On that note, everything was starting to fade and blur: the trees, the sky, the monster, the other pony...

I look down on my semi-scorched jacket and place my hand on the inside of it to touch the shirt I wore underneath. I take it out.

Oh, hey! Blood.

"What a stunning tone...! A pleasing, crimson, scarlet tone; how radiant...! "

Acceleration of the heart... Weakening of the legs... Loss of balance...
Peripheral vasoconstriction... Variation of the blood pressures...

"Umm... Hey, Fluttershy, is it normal for him to be so pale?"

And that was when I blacked out.