• Published 29th Apr 2015
  • 245 Views, 0 Comments

Of Knights and Mermaids - FluxC



A knight meets a friendly new lady, dark forces arise, a writer can't sleep.

  • ...
 0
 245

Chapter 1

The cool mist of the ocean grazed upon my covered face, mixing with the sweat that had accumulated on it. I was out for another walk, the usual one on Sundays, at the beach. Today was particularly warm and fresh, and the ocean was empty of all visitors but me, save for the little white crabs and jellyfish bodies. The jetties that extended like fingers out into the blue waters were my destination, I intended to go to the furthest one and relax in the sun, finally able to lay my sword down and relinquish the decorated helmet from my face.

My heavy hoofbeats disturbed the sand, bringing up a multitude of sleeping animals in the sand. It was wet and brown, warmed by the blaring sun of Summer, and squished easily under the leather of my boots. Water would occasionally spill out from my hoofsteps, and would sink back into the depression I left. It was a nice feeling, the coolness of it just barely seeping through to my hooves. It was a feeling I’d longed for all week, considering the tension of the work week I’ve had.

The jetties in sight, I picked up my pace and climbed up onto the first rock that marked the start of this natural pier. The ocean’s waves splashed and crawled up the beach to surround said rock, and splashed up just enough to hit me in the face. I took my helmet off using my magic, and let my mane flow out. A few crimson locks smacked me in the face as I did so, but I was fine with this, as long as I was able to finally relax.

I hopped onto the next rock, and the next, until I had a straight walk until the edge. Water splashed and sloshed violently against the walls of the rocks, hitting me in the process. I heard loud splashed of what I assumed were dolphins in the distance, but I was focused on safely getting to the tranquil edge.

Once I had made it, safely, I sat down, sticking my sword into the rock and placing my helmet gingerly on top of it, letting it swivel around until it came to a standstill. Then, I shifted my gaze onto the horizon, as a bright orange sun began to sink below the waters. The dolphins continued to play in the distance, laughing loudly and enjoying themselves. I sighed and laid on my back, breathing in the fresh ocean breeze. God, how I loved weekends.

I let my eyes fall, and my consciousness fade, and soon I was napping on the ocean rocks. I had dreams of swimming in the water, playing with the fish and dolphins, and enjoying myself, and just generally slept well. It wasn’t until midnight that I awoke to the sound of still waters and a light splashing out on the horizon. Low tide must have hit.

I sprang to my hooves, and yanked my sword from the stone, and put my helmet back on. I jumped off of the jetties, and back into the sand, and began my venture back home. The splashing and laughing was still going on, and I pondered to myself how these dolphins had such energy.


At home, I stripped off my armor and put it on its mannequin, letting the sweat of my body drip off me and evaporate. I went into my bathroom, stepped into the shower and put it on cold, relaxing as the icey flow smacked against my fur. It felt wonderful, I felt like the water was making me legitimately steam, and I felt all the muscles in my body ease up and relax.

It was only every so often I got to shower, but when I could it was a blessing. After a good half hour or so, I got out, and dried off, spending an extraordinary amount of time on my long mane. Once I felt adequately dry I hobbled out to my living room and splayed out on the decorative couch, and threw a match onto the fireplace. It was my favorite time of the day, night was. I yearned for it so much each time I awoke that sometimes I would plainly meditate until night came, skipping meals and drinks and anything that could slow my day down.

I just laid lazily on the couch for what must have been an hour, looking around my house. A large pillar made of a log was erected behind my couch, guarding the dining room, which was centerpieced by another log, this one much shorter and fatter. Surrounding it were three small chairs, made of pine that I had crafted with my father years ago. My whole house had a log cabin theme, and to fit even better, it was in the middle of the forest, secluded from normal ponies.

If you couldn’t tell by now, I’m a knight. Or at least, a knight for hire. I go around and swear to protect someone for a price, usually a pretty hefty one. The last job I had was for a changeling hive, but, I ran into some trouble with an adjacent king, who nearly ripped my legs off. Only his queen saved me there, bless her soul. At that point I decided the job was getting too dangerous for me, so I quit. I left and never looked back, and became a wandering vagrant knight. I get a job here and there, which keeps the bills paid and the fridge stocked, but any extra things like technology or heat are lost on me. It’s okay though. I’m old, I don’t need much to keep me happy.

Alright, I’m fourty-seven, not an old man. I do want those things but, with the track I’m going on, I can’t buy extra toys for myself, so I eat less and use excess blankets in the winter and ice in the summer, so I can buy one or two new things. It’s a struggle but, I enjoy it. It gives my life an extra thrill.

Soon I found myself lost in thoughts, and my eyes fell ever slowly, until they encapsulated my eyes, and sent me into a deep sleep. I had enjoyed the short night I had, and just hoped the next one would be just as satisfying and relaxing.



I woke up, slowly but surely, feeling the crust over my eyelids break off and fall. My stomach growled loudly, which prompted me to leave my comfy couch, and head to the fridge.

Empty. I looked at the white shelves of the thing dejectedly, grumbling and slamming the door shut. “Looks like I have to head to the market,” I said to myself aloud. I donned my armor again, which in itself was a process of which I hated doing every morning, but had an end result that I loved. Much like going to the shopping center. After I put on my helmet and strung my mane through the hole in the back, I sighed and left the house.

It was a very hot day, felt like it was in the high nineties, it singed the fur on my back, but aside from that it felt pretty nice. I’ve gotten used to being burned by my armor. If it got too much to bear, I’d sit in the shade of a bus stop for a couple minutes, and then keep going, until I reached my destination.

The market was filled to the brim with ponies today. It made sense, today was a Sunday and the day was perfect for beach-goers, who frolicked in the sands adjacent to the shopping area. Most of them wore their swimwear, or had overly bad sunburns or sunhats, a parasol here or there. It was a pretty decorated day, with me being the center of it all. Ponies all over stared at me as I cantered from stand to stand, picking up fruits and assorted foods and placing them into my basket. They couldn’t see my smug grin under the helmet, but I’m sure some of them knew I was full of myself.

Normally I don’t like being near people, but there’s the occasional day where I’m perfectly fine with it. Especially on days when children or foals come by and look up to me with big grins, some calling me a hero or thanking me for my service. I don’t really have the heart to tell them I’m not a real royal guard, so I smile and pat them on the head. I guess you could say I have a soft spot for children.

“Eek! S-scuse me, pardon me!” Cried a mare from a few feet away. I could see a wave of ponies being moved as she shoved through the crowd. “P-please move, I, I need out!” She sounded to be about half my age, and was obviously panicked. Following her voice and the crowd’s movements, I tailed her.

She cornered herself in an alleyway, and I found her, looking up at me pleadingly, with intense fear contorted on her face. Her gaze returned to the ground, and her breathing got a bit heavier. I followed her look and saw it.

A tiny white sandcrab, clicking its claws at her. I picked it up in my magic and she shrieked and hid her face in the wall. I levitated it over to the side, and gave it a shove, moving over to comfort the girl. “It’s gone now, luv, you’re safe.” I said to her. “You have a fear of those little guys?”

“M-mmhm..” She weakly replied. She turned to face me and gave me a hug. “Th-thank you. What’s your name?”

“Damascus Rose. Might I ask yours?”

“Sea Foam.” She broke the hug, and as I got up, she got up on her hooves as well.


Sea Foam was a very curious pony. She was talkative, asked a lot of questions although I was a complete stranger to her. She was also strange, she was hyper and oh-too innocent. I thought it was a farce put on to hide some inner deep dark secret, but I slipped in a few penis jokes of which flew directly over her head by a mile. Apparently she knows what it is, but doesn’t understand. She’s got the mind of a child almost, she even collects seashells as she’s told me.

“I go to the beach, and I get sand dollars and pretty shells and pearls and all kinds of things!” She excitedly explained to me, showing off her small pack full of shells. “I make necklaces out of them and sell them! It’s how I got my butt mark!”

“How cute. Very pretty too.” I commented, fully invested. I usually pay full attention to someone when they talk about what they love the most. She was no exception. I could see a twinkle in her eyes when she pulled out a sparkling blue shell, and I smiled at her.

We walked along the road, a thunder clap resounding in the sky. I hadn’t even noticed the sun blotted out. I looked to Foam, to see if she was alright, and a look of intense fear rose on her face. “Afraid of thunder?” I asked, to which she ran as quickly as she could away from me, and ducked behind an alley, gone.

“Strange girl.. It’s only sound.”

Ignoring the strange incident, I decided it be best to move back home, as metal covering my entire body in a lightning storm was not the smartest idea. The cooled wind of the storm was nice though, after the intense mug and heat of earlier. Still, the idea of being cooked alive by electricity made me quicken my pace for my cabin.

The forest entrance was dark, from the lack of sunlight, covered by a thick canopy of pine and maple leaves, and tall redwood trees. Flowers stood in full bloom at the edges, marking the entrance to a faerie’s domain almost. I, personally, do not believe in faeries, but others do, and commonly call this forest the Spritely Wood. Due to some unsavory rumors about faeries in this area, not many visit, and so not many bother me. It’s a win-win situation.

I trotted through quickly, following the road, taking in the smells of the impending rainstorm, and sighed. It was an eventful day, I thought. I bought groceries, met a sweet girl who followed me around for an hour, and got caught in the woods during a storm. Not usually something that happens to me at all. Well, except the groceries.

I had thought to make myself a dinner tonight, with some of the stuff I bought, since being out so long had left my stomach aching. I also thought to take a stomach pill, to calm it down. Maybe both would work best.

My cabin stood in front of me, lanterns flickering their blue light to illuminate the patio. A large wooden door with a circular oculus blocked my way into the house. I opened it gingerly, letting myself in, and shivering as the coldness of the air conditioner froze the water and sweat on my back. “Ah, love that feeling.”

My routine of night began again, I stripped, got on the couch after putting my groceries in their respective storage, and thought on the day. Thought about seeing that girl again, someday. Thought about perhaps going out again tomorrow to see her. Surely she’d recognize my armor. Why would I want to though, I thought, I hate people generally. I then just surmised on her quirkiness, her attitude, the fact that she was the most fun I’ve had all month. I resolved to talk to her if I saw her again.

I then thought about my stomach again, and rose to my hooves. Going into the kitchen, holding my belly, I pulled out lettuces and various other vegetables to make a quick salad, and ate it as quick as my body would let. Once it settled, my craving quenched, I went to the last room of the house, my bedroom, and laid in the soft downy comforter. First time in a long time I’d fall asleep at night on this.

A loud thunder slap woke me up late at night, causing my heart to jump straight out of my chest. My breaths became short, my hoof moving up to clutch my now pained ribs as my heart pounded to escape. Eventually, after I finally calmed down, I climbed on my windowsill, moving a shutter up to investigate the condition outside.

Puddles of water, no, oceans formed outside where there were cliffs or small dips in the land, and rain came down in torrents, beating against the glass like a firehose were pointed at it. Thunder yet again smacked loudly, followed by the second wave boom, that echoed throughout my home. I was a little creeped out, because I felt like something were wrong about this storm, but I forced myself up anyway, going to my fireplace to start it up and warm up and relax.

Wind howled at me from outside, the weather acting as a pack of wolves at my door, gnawing at the wood to get in and attack. I wasn’t afraid but uneasy. Storms like this have ruined homes before, and I would rather my dream house not be ruined by something as silly as a little rain.

I noticed though, how the digital clock on the mantle, was completely shut off. My fridge’s hum had quieted. The storm had blown out my power. I dearly hoped that my produce wouldn’t spoil in this condition, because I was out of ice and had no other method of keeping it safe and sound.

Oh well, I thought, I’d just have to buy more. It’d just mean one paycheck less from getting a newer TV for my room. The one I had now was still flat and mounted on my wall, but it was a few years old, and had a purple spot on the lower corner that bothered me.

The thunder became more violent, raging every minute or so, screaming at me from outside. I paid no mind, nature was doing its work, and I was minding my own business and letting it go its merry way, what good would it be to be scared? If something bad happened, it happened, and I’d have to adapt. With every roar of thunder I felt a sense of challenge, smirking at my unseen enemy in the sky.

Eventually, out of being so relaxed from the fire, and still being tired, I got up and went to bed, getting back under the covers and letting the sounds of nature lull me into a deep sleep. I didn’t mind the loud noise any more, it grew on me.

I fell asleep, with an image of that girl in my mind. I couldn’t place why, but she seemed special.