• Published 15th May 2012
  • 481 Views, 7 Comments

The Gambler - Lucky Streak



A pony in charge of a corrupt casino is changed for the better

  • ...
 7
 481

Chapter 1

On a riverboat casino headed down the Manessissippi River, a pure white stallion with a pair of dice for a cutie mark walked the deck, looking for ponies to carry out conversations with. Spotting one, an orange Earth pony with a carrot cutie mark, he sauntered over to her.

Leaning up against the Blackjack table she was playing at with the dealer and a light blue earth pony mare, he gave her a low-lidded look and said in his most honeyed voice, “Why, hello there, ma’am. I couldn’t help but feel that it’s an absolute crime for a mare as lovely as yourself to be here all alone.”

Sweeping off his fedora with a flourish and bowing slightly, he introduced himself. “My name is Lucky Streak, but you can just call me Lucky. And what lovely name belongs to such a beautiful mare?”

She giggled at his introduction, not in derision, but in nervousness. “My name is Carrot Top,” she said finally, beginning to blush at the sudden attention from the colt, distracting her from her game completely.

There was no denying that Lucky was handsome, and he knew it. But his accent was what really sold his personality. It was fine, cultured, and undeniably upper class, leaving listeners with a heady sensation reminiscent of drinking champagne. It wasn’t a Canterlot accent, but from a place far older than the Equestrian capital. No, he was from New Poneleans. In combination with his looks, he cut quite the distracting figure to many a mare, making his job of distracting patrons that much easier.

While the mare was occupied with listening to the flirtatious comments being made to her by the stallion, his associate running the Blackjack table, a gray Earth pony with black dappling across his coat grabbed some of her casino chips, while his other associate, the blue pony he had stationed at the table, switched one of her cards with Carrot Top’s that would no doubt make Carrot lose this hand. It was done so quickly and efficiently that, had Lucky not been looking for it out of the corner of his eye, he would have missed them both.

With an experienced eye and a quick glance, he took in what just happened. As usual, the dealer had performed excellently, taking just enough chips to make an impact but not too many as to be noticed. The planted player had also done well, switching cards that were of the same suit, but giving Carrot a card one count lower than the one it replaced.

He wrapped up the conversation with the mare, finishing with, “I’m sorry, but I’ve got to go now. How’s about you leave me your number, though, and we’ll see if we can meet up for a drink sometime, hmm?”

The mare murmured her agreement, wrote down her number on a bar napkin, and handed it to him with a wink. Nodding his thanks to her, he took her hoof, kissed it, and left. He waited until the Blackjack table was out of sight, and then ducked into a door labeled “Owner.” He closed the door behind him, and then sat down behind his desk in the center of the office to do paperwork. An hour later, he felt the bump that announced that they had arrived back at their starting point, and heard the shuffle of ponies’ hooves as they exited down the gangplank onto dry land.

As the bouncers closed and locked the front door for the night, Lucky heard a knock at his office door.

“Come in.”

The two ponies from the Blackjack table earlier came in and sat down in the chairs in front of his desk.

“Ash! Sapphire! Great to see you. So tell me, how did it go today?” he asked leaning his chin on one hoof as he waited for the good news.

“Well between the two of us, we were able to win two thousand bits today,” replied Ash with a satisfied grin.

“And how many did we earn the ‘questionable’ way?” asked Lucky with a knowing smile.

“Half of that,” replied Sapphire. “It’s really amazing what ponies won’t notice being taken right out from under their noses.”

“Sure enough,” replied Lucky. “Well, I do believe y’all have earned your keep for tonight. Here’s your cut for the day.”

He dropped ten bags containing the thousand bits they had swindled from their patrons that day. “Now y’all go out and enjoy yourselves. I think we’ll take a break for a week or before moving on to richer waters.”

“Where are we headed next?” Ash asked excitedly.

“Well that mare from earlier, Carrot Top, said she was visiting friends in Manessissippi. She said she was from Ponyville. If they’re all as easy to play as she was, I think it’d be a great idea to pay a visit to the little town,” replied Lucky with a smirk.

“Anyway, y’all get going. Go on, enjoy yourselves!” he said, playfully shooing them out the door.

“Thanks, Boss!” said Sapphire as she and Ash scooped the bits into their saddlebags.

“Please, I’ve told you before, just call me Lucky,” he called out to them as they walked out the door.

After the door closed, Lucky sat back down at his desk and looked at the papers he was working on.

King Pin,

Today's profits are lower than yesterday's. I take it as a sign that we need to change venue a small bit, so my associates and I will be moving temporarily to a small town named Ponyville. I would like to inform you that we are now fifty percent of our way towards the set price, and I wish to remind you that once you receive the agreed upon sum, our business will be concluded forever.
Sincerely,
Lucky Streak

Working for a benefactor he knew nothing about was a little troubling, to be sure. But this pony did set him up with ponies who taught him everything he knew about casinos, and had set him up with his own casino to run. He just wanted to pay off his debts to the pony so that he was out from under the hoof that loomed over him.