• Published 26th Apr 2015
  • 2,882 Views, 35 Comments

The Princess that Equestria Never Had - rillegas08



After a particularly rough day, Twilight accidentally activates a spell she read earlier but didn't understand. She wakes up the next morning in darkness. Her only chance is to find Princess Celestia to return Equestria to how it is supposed to be.

  • ...
9
 35
 2,882

The Ruse

"So how are we going to get into Canterlot without Chrysalis realizing we're there?"

"I fear it's too late," replied Twilight. "She's very clever. She deceived everyone, even Shining Armor, the stallion who should have recognized something was very different with his future wife. The sun hasn't been up for long, but Equestria's been shrouded in night long enough that even a few minutes of daylight is enough to rouse her suspicions that something happened to Nightmare Moon."

"What if we were to have Nightmare Moon lead us into Canterlot as prisoners?" asked Rainbow Dash. "If Princess Luna can imitate Nightmare's mannerisms, we might be able to get put in the Canterlot prison long enough to gather information about any possible resistance groups that could help us."

"It will have to be a perfect imitation," answered Celestia "if Chrysalis is as clever as Twilight believes."

"I could teleport you all into the prisons there, just to quicken things up a bit," suggested Discord. "Twilight doesn't have very long before her cutie mark is gone and has to take Zecora's potion."

"That would be fastest, but has its own risks," responded Princess Luna. "Nightmare Moon was a large part of who I was for over a millennium. I'm sure I can imitate her long enough, but first we should bring the moon up again. It may make the Queen of the Changlings more susceptible to our ruse if Nightmare Moon defeated my big sister's final grasp at regaining control."

Princess Celestia nodded, and lowered the sun so Luna could raise the moon again. The land was once again covered in darkness, and although the rest of the ponies in Equestria had rejoiced at the sun's return, they now fled back into their homes, fearing Nightmare Moon had once again defeated their beloved Princess. The princesses and the Mane 6 all gathered together. Discord cracked his knuckles and started doing his magic.

First he transformed Princess Luna into the image of Nightmare Moon, replacing each piece of armor that had fallen off in the rainbow whirlwind where it had been before, stretching her features so the alicorn was the same size as her larger counterpart. Once that was done, he put shackles on Celestia's legs and shrunk the six ponies down. He levitated the ponies on Celestia's head and suggested they hide in the princess's flowing mane to minimize detection.

"The only way to get to Canterlot by land is the train," said Celestia "It wraps around the mountain, so we should go to the side of the mountain opposite the city to avoid suspicion."

"Ooh, a train! I have just the thing." Discord smiled and teleported them all to the other side of the mountain, then made the Discord Express appear on the tracks near them.

"Discord!" shouted the miniscule Twilight, and Discord leaned an ear toward her. "Unfortunately, we can't use the Discord Express. It would ruin our surprise. You have a very important job here, though: distracting the changlings once we start battling their queen. She set hordes of them upon us last time, but this time we have the advantage of already wearing the Elements of Harmony. I don't know how long it will take to start battling her, so stay near the castle for when it does."

"Very well, Twilight. Too many things out of the ordinary won't help at all." He changed the train into the regular train that ran up the mountain and got into the engine, putting on his conductor's hat and transforming into a stallion to add to the illusion. "All aboard!"

"I don't like this, Twilight," said Applejack. "I know our options are limited, but ain't there a better way for the princesses to regain control of Canterlot?"

"You mean a more honest way?" Twilight asked, and Applejack nodded. "I know what you mean. We're being very dishonest by doing this plan, but I couldn't think of anything that had the smallest chance of working."

"What about just goin' in, wranglin' up the changlings, and then usin' the Elements against their queen?"

Twilight shook her head. "There are too many of them. Hundreds, maybe thousands. In my world, when the six of us tried to get to the Elements, we were blocked by dozens of the. They took on our appearances and we had to fight them off, but more and more of them came. We were surrounded and brought back to their queen, helpless against her. Our disadvantage then was not having the Elements of Harmony close enough, and we were lucky the love between my brother and Cadance was stronger than the power she'd sapped from my brother. She would have won - did win in this world - if it wasn't."

Applejack sighed. "Then I guess for now we're hog-tied. I'll go along with it fer now, but if I think of an honest way -"

"Tell me right away." Twilight smiled and put her hoof on Applejack's shoulder. "I'd expect nothing less from you, Applejack. I'll try to think of something too."

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna stepped into the train car behind the engine, and it started moving along the tracks. Soon, they'd reached the train station at Canterlot. Discord exited the engine and personally opened the door for the princesses. "Presenting Nightmare Moon and the defeated Princess Celestia!"

The guards at the train station looked at each other, bewildered at not receiving word beforehoof of a prisoner transport, much less the princess. These guards were not changlings, but ponies that had decided that obeying their new - but farm from benevolent - ruler for a time gave a less undesirable outcome for them and their families.

Princess Luna put a scowl on her muzzle. "Where is Queen Chrysalis? We wish to keep the former princess in a more secure prison than the sun."

"So that's where she was this whole time," said Fluttershy.

"But how did she get there?" wondered Rarity.

"It makes sense if you think about it," answered Twilight. "When Celestia banished Nightmare Moon over a thousand years ago, she was imprisoned on the moon until the stars were in position for her escape. It makes sense that Nightmare Moon would have banished Celestia on the sun in revenge."

Soon the Queen of the Changlings herself made her way to the train station, obviously annoyed at the interruption and sudden responsibility of imprisoning a princess. Following behind her were her personal guard of changlings.

"So, Princess Celestia has returned, and subsequently been defeated once again," she said, confronting her. "I wish I would have had the chance to fight you hoof to hoof, but it seems you've been weakened too much. Bring her to the bedchamber next to mine and post two dozen guards. We'll see what to do with her soon enough." She turned and walked back up to the throne room.

Princess Celestia and Princess Luna glanced at each other, and the six minuscule ponies did the same. They hadn't accounted for the possibility that Chrysalis would want such a close eye on the Princess.

"We shall remain here in Canterlot until we are satisfied with her imprisonment," replied Luna before Chrysalis could get out of earshot.

"Very well. As long as you don't bother me too much."

It was a long walk up the steps and into the castle wing where the bedchambers were. Princess Luna and Princess Celestia stepped into the room, and Celestia knelt in the center of the room, acting very well in her role as prisoner. Luna stood near the door, her features showing the callousness of jealousy and revenge, hiding how much she actually cared about her sister. Twenty-four stallions made their way into the room two by two, separating after they entered to surround Celestia from all sides.

Twilight peeked out from her mentor's mane, watching each guard to see if she recognized any of them, and if any of them would be resistant to Queen Chrysalis. They all wore the same armor, which obstructed their cutie marks. One of the last two sentries to enter the chamber, however, she thought looked familiar: a pale orange pegasus with a deep blue mane and tail, although his rank was higher than in her own world. "Is that Flash?"

"Princess Celestia," the stallion in question spoke, and he was indeed Flash Sentry. Twilight felt herself blush, glad that the hairs of Celestia's mane were thick enough to hide her blush from her friends. Her friends from her world and Canterlot High knew, of course, but she figured this was one thing she didn't want to distract them with.

"Flash Sentry," she responded weakly. "You've risen in the ranks, I see."

"That happened when the Captain went missing. Another stallion took his place, and I was given his position."

"What happened to Canterlot while I was gone?"

He told of Nightmare Moon's rule in Canterlot after her return, and, unexpectedly, the ponies reacted much the same way they had in Ponyville: retreating into their homes as much as they could. He told what he could of the wedding, and how Nightmare Moon had relinquished control of Canterlot to Queen Chrysalis while she dealt with the more bold ponies in Ponyville. The changlings and their queen continued their reign of terror as small factions rose up in secret, planning to overthrow the queen. He told of the joy that spread throughout the city as the sun had returned, albeit briefly, but the queen took this opportunity to feed off the sudden surge of love, and all the ponies who had left their homes to celebrate the return of the princess retreated quickly back when the changlings came. Celestia listened to his words, but detected he knew more than he let on, or was safe saying.

"Are all the guards here loyal to the Queen of the Changlings?" asked Princess Celestia.

"We serve the queen as we are loyal to Equestria." Princess Celestia smiled and stood up. Some of the guards moved to defensive or attack position, but Flash waved his hoof, and they relaxed. Princess Luna removed Nightmare Moon's helmet, smiling as well. Something in the way he responded showed that he was among the resistance in the capital city. "Welcome back to Canterlot, Princess Celestia and Princess Luna."

Princess Luna put the helmet back on, and went to the window, looking for Discord. His curiosity had gotten the best of him while waiting for the battle against Chrysalis to begin, and he had been standing outside the window for some time.

"Is it time?" he asked, entering the room, and Princess Celestia affirmed his suspicions.

Inside Celestia's mane, the ponies had heard everything that had been spoken. The six ponies had gathered together, but Twilight turned her head at Discord's voice. Soon they realized they were growing, and jumped out of the flowing mane, increased to their true size before they hit the floor. Discord had already removed Princess Luna's armor and returned her to her original size, and had removed Celestia's shackles. Celestia rose the sun once more, and bright sunlight streamed in through the windows. It was time to start fighting.