• Published 26th Apr 2015
  • 775 Views, 104 Comments

The Murder of Prince Blue Blood - Tavi4



Prince Blue Blood has been murdered. It was one of the most interesting cases Private Detective Octavia Melody have ever come across. Prince Blue Blood was dead. There were four ponies, one of who must have committed the crime, but which of them?

  • ...
8
 104
 775

The Suspects: Part 4 - Fourth Murderer?

Shining entered the room with a quick springing step - a step that reminded me of something or someone.

“I’m sorry to have kept you waiting all this while, Major Amour,” said
Silver. “But I wanted to let the mares get away as soon as possible.”

“Don’t apologize. I understand.” He sat down and looked inquiringly at the superintendent.

“How well did you know Mr. Blood?” began the latter.

“I’ve met him twice,” said Shining crisply.

“Only twice?”

“That’s all.”

“On what occasions?”

“About a month ago we were both dining at the same house. Then he asked me to a cocktail party a week later.”

“A cocktail party here?”

“Yes.”

“Where did it take place - this room or the drawing-room?”

“In all the rooms.”

“See this little thing lying about?”

Silver once more produced the stiletto.

Major Amour’s lip twisted slightly.

“No,” he said, “Well, I didn’t mark it down for future use, if that’s what you mean.”

“There’s no need to go ahead of what I say, Major Amour.”

The superintendent cleared his throat hastily.

“I beg your pardon. The inference was fairly obvious.”

There was a moment’s pause, and then Silver resumed his inquiries.

“Had you any motive for disliking Mr. Blood?”

“Every motive.”

“Oh?” The superintendent raised his eyebrows in a surprised manner.

“For disliking him - not for killing him,” said Shining, still in his even voice. “I hadn’t the least wish to kill him, but I would thoroughly have enjoyed kicking him. A pity. It’s too late now.”

Silver gave a half smile, “Why did you want to kick him, Major Amour?”

“Because he was the sort of rat who needed kicking badly. He used to make the top of my hoof fairly itch.”

“Know anything about him - to his discredit, I mean?”

Major Amour sighed, “He was too well dressed; he wore his hair too long, and he smelled of scent.” The Major frowned, “I know he was a Prince, but still…”

“Yet you accepted his invitation to dinner,” Silver pointed out.

“If I were only to dine in houses where I thoroughly approved of my host I’m afraid, I shouldn’t dine out very much, Superintendent Silver,” said Shining dryly.

“You like society, but you don’t approve of it?” suggested the other.

“I like it for very short periods. To come back from the wilds to lighted rooms and mares in lovely clothes, to dancing and good food, and laughter - yes, I enjoy that - for a time. And then the insincerity of it all sickens me and I want to be off again in some barbaric land inhabited by uncivilized folk.” Shining smiled.

“It must be a dangerous sort of life that you lead, Major Amour, wandering about in these wild places.”

Shining shrugged his shoulders. He smiled slightly.

“Mr. Blood didn’t lead a dangerous life - but he is dead, and I am alive.”

“He may have led a more dangerous life than you think,” said Silver meaningly.

“How do you mean?”

“The late Mr. Blood was a bit of a Nosy Parker,” said Silver.

The other leaned forward. “You mean that he meddled with other people’s lives - that he discovered - what?”

“I really meant that perhaps he was the sort of pony who meddled - er - well, with mares.”

Major Amour leaned back, in his chair. He laughed, an amused but indifferent laugh.

“I don’t think mares would take a mountebank like that seriously.”

“What’s your theory of who killed him, Major Amour?”

“Well, I know I didn’t. Little Miss Harpstrings didn’t. I can’t imagine Mrs. Shores doing so - she reminds me of one of my more God-fearing aunts. That leaves the medical gentlestallion.”

“Can you describe your own and other ponies’ movements this evening?”

“I got up twice - once for an ash tray and I also poked the fire – and once for a drink.”

“At what times?”

“I couldn’t say. First time might have been about half-past ten, the second time eleven, but that’s pure guesswork, Mrs. Shores went over to the fire once and said something to Blue Blood. I didn’t actually hear him answer, but then I wasn’t paying attention. I couldn’t swear he didn’t. Miss Harpstrings wandered about the room a bit, but I don’t think she went over near the fireplace. Hooves was always getting up and down - three or four times at least.”

“I’ll ask you Miss Melody’s question,” said Silver with a smile. I continued to watch the Major silently.
“What did you think of them as bridge players?”

“Miss Harpstrings is quite a good player. Hooves overcalls disgracefully. Mrs. Shores is damned good. Does that answer your question, Miss Melody?”

"Very clearly," I said, without expression, "Thank you Major."

Silver turned to me.

“Anything else, Miss Melody?”

I shook my head

Shining gave his address as the Albany, wished us good night, and left the room.

He closed the door behind him.

It then occurred to me what it was that Shining had reminded me of when he first entered the room.

I made a slight movement.

“What is it?” demanded Silver

“Nothing,” I said.

“Only, it just occurred to me that he walks like a Manticore - yes, just so, lithe, easy, like the Manticore moves along.” I said, staring at the door through which Shining had just exited.

“H'm!” said Silver. “Now then,” his eye glanced round at us, his three companions, “which of ‘em did it?”

Author's Note:

Thank you ever so much for reading the seventh instalment of The Murder Of Prince Blue Blood!

Keep an eye out for the next exiting chapter!

Thanks.

MJ