• Published 9th May 2015
  • 1,656 Views, 16 Comments

Why Am I here Again? - Z-A-C



I thought this place was a coma dream. But I guess I was wrong. Why do bad things happen to good people? Not that I'm the best person but I try, and it seems I always get the short end of the stick.

  • ...
4
 16
 1,656

Yay...

I woke up and slowly opened my eyes. I tried looking around but everything was blurry. If the nearby beeping is anything to go by, then I'm in a hospital. I tried to move an arm, but it felt too heavy. I blinked a few times, clearing my vision, and looked down to see that I had a breathing tube down my throat. I also noticed that my shirt was missing, as well as the right pant leg of my jeans, and my chest and right leg are covered in bandages. My throat started to itch, and after a minute of fighting it, I coughed. Causing the tube to scrape the back of my throat. This damn thing is so annoying! Suddenly, something felt off. And the bad thing about that, is that I can't tell what it is. I just felt...weird. Like something was underneath my skin. I can't scratch at it, because I can't move. Even if I could, I wouldn't be able to. There's a certain panic you feel in a situation like this, and I was not enjoying it.

And then the door opened. I couldn't see who entered due to my head feeling too heavy to move. I couldn't even guess at who it is based on how heavy their hoof-steps are. They all sound the same! I noticed the heart beat monitor beeping faster, and closed my eyes to try to calm down.

"Zane?" The pony said. The voice was familiar. I heard the pony slowly walk over to me. Luna. I opened my eyes as my heart beat started to slow down. "Are...you awake?" She asked, hesitantly. I blinked. Why is she acting strange? "Do you think you can breath on your own?" I nodded. She turned her head.

"I'll take care of it, Princess." A second pony said. Luna nodded and stepped to the side. The pony had a pink mane and a white coat. "Stay still." She said, before I felt the tube being removed. Never want to feel that again. "All better?" I lightly shook my head. "Yes, well... You will be feeling groggy for a couple of days, which is normal. The princess has requested that she be the one to tell you how the surgery went." I nodded. "Give me a moment to check the equipment, and I'll be out of your way." She said cheerfully. A couple of minutes later she left, leaving Luna and I alone.

Luna walked over and stood by the bed. "How are you feeling?" She asked, I just gave her a look. "Right, not the best question."

I shook my head. "I didn't mean it like that." I grumbled.

"So... You are feeling well, then?"

"Better now that I can breath on my own." I said before having a coughing fit. "Ow..."

Luna nuzzled me. "Try not to speak." I let out a sigh. "Do you remember what happened?" I nodded my head. She sighed. "The operation was long, and we almost lost you. We had to ask Nurse Redheart from Ponyville to assist in the operation."

"Why?" I asked with a furrowed brow.

"Nopony else has operated on a human before." I was going to ask, but figured it would be better to just nod, so I did. "You lost a lot of blood as well, we had to do a transfusion." I raised an eyebrow. "At first, it didn't seem like it would work. My sister and I had to use blood magic to keep your heart beating..."

"Who gave me blood." That sounded better in my head.

She didn't look bothered. "It was I..." She sighed. "I am sorry if I do not seem happy that I saved your life, and I promise you that is not the case." I stayed silent. "I don't expect you to understand, but blood magic is black magic. Black magic is also referred to as evil magic, so..." She trailed off.

I nodded. "I do understand. But is it evil if you used it to save a life?" I asked.

She shook her head. "No, but that isn't what I'm worried about." I gave her a questioning look. "The side effects of what we have done, have been seen to be dire." I was beginning to worry. "My sister and I had to alter the structure of our blood samples to make them compatible for the transfusion."

"Our?"

She nodded. "In an effort to lighten the side effects of the spell I used, I altered mine as well." She must have sensed my question, because she shook her head. "I took both of our blood samples and restructured them until they worked."

"So..." I said, not sure about how much stranger this could get.

She hesitated. "Since you lost a significant amount of blood, there is more of my blood in you than your own. I'm sorry, it was a desperate move but..." She looked away and shook her head.

"But," I continued for her. "It worked, and I'm alive."

"For how long though?" My eyes widened a bit. "That is what I am concerned about..."

I let that sink in for a few minutes. I shook my head lightly. "Sadness doesn't suit the Lunar Goddess." I said. "If our blood wasn't compatible, I would have died during the operation. Seeing that I'm alive now, says that it worked. Stop worrying Luna."

"But...the side effects!"

I shook my head. "I don't care." She furrowed her eyebrows. "Unless I can use magic now, that is. We'll deal with it later." In truth, I do care about the side effects, and the lack of human blood in my body. Not to mention feeling something crawling under my skin. But she doesn't need to punish herself over it. Which means I don't need to tell her. Not yet anyway. She may be able to sense my worries, but she seemed to relax a little.

"Magic... may be one of the positive side effects of Alicorn's blood." She said hesitantly. "I am not sure. And because of that, Celestia and I want you to stay here in Canterlot for few more days."

"Seems fine to me." I yawned.

She looked at me for a few seconds. "Perhaps I have kept you awake for too long. I'll leave so that you can rest." I was going to protest, but she gave me a look that said I shouldn't. So, I nodded. "I will return tomorrow." She turned toward the door. "Goodnight." I looked around the room a bit more, and noticed my watch was sitting on the nightstand next to the bed. It said that the time ten in the morning. There's humor there, I'm sure. More then likely she wasn't joking, but it felt like she was. I also noticed another bed, but the curtains were drawn. After laying awake for what felt like forever, I finally started to fall asleep. Magic would be cool to have. And shortly after that thought, I fell asleep.


I slowly woke up and opened my eyes. I looked over at my watch and sighed. It said it was two O'clock in afternoon. "Could be worse." I mumbled to myself. "At least I got some sleep." I looked around the room, and nothing really changed. The machines I was tied to still made their noises, the walls were still a boring white, the floor was still there, which is a good thing.

Why WOULD the floor be missing?

I shook my head and shrugged as well as I could. I looked over at the other bed, and the curtains were open. The pony was light blue with a blonde mane. She seems to be sleeping, so I wasn't able to see her eyes. They probably match her eyes or her coat. "Seems to be the way it works here." I looked outside. It was a bright and sunny day out, but there are also clouds. "Wait a minute..." I focused on a cloud that was moving faster than it should. "There are Pegasi moving the clouds?" I chose not to question it further, and continued to look out at Canterlot. Twilight probably told me about it before.

I heard shuffling coming from the other bed. "Excuse me? Are you awake?"

Well I was right about the gender. I looked over. "Regretfully, yeah."

"O-oh." There was a long paused, and I closed my eyes. "I've seen you around Ponyville before."

"Really?"

"Yeah, a few years ago."

"That makes sense." Another pause. "I think I saw you in that mob that chased me through town. Then again, it could have been someone else. It was awhile ago."

"N-no," She said hesitantly. "That was me." I frowned. "I never had the chance to apologize."

I opened my eyes and looked over at her. "I'm sure you had a few, but it's fine."

She gave a nervous chuckle. "After all, it was years ago."

"Yep." She gave a sigh and turned towards a wall. I looked out of the window again, and tried to think of something to do.

Author's Note:

Sorry this was so late! You all know how life can be, Right? Right? I hope it doesn't seem to rushed.