• Published 9th May 2015
  • 1,657 Views, 16 Comments

Why Am I here Again? - Z-A-C



I thought this place was a coma dream. But I guess I was wrong. Why do bad things happen to good people? Not that I'm the best person but I try, and it seems I always get the short end of the stick.

  • ...
4
 16
 1,657

Well, This Is Just Great

I really hoped that I wouldn't be writing here again. But I guess life is...funny like that. Funny might not be the word but, Twilight will scold me for my language. Again. Hmm... I'm getting ahead of myself here, so I guess I should start from the beginning.


"I really don't want to be here..." I said at loud.

"Well, on the bright side, it's Thursday." A coworker replied.

"Yeah, thankfully." I now work the nightshift at FedEx. It's an okay job. The only thing I can really complain about is, the position I'm working in. I only work three to four hours a night but it's physical work. Oh, and how tired I am on some days. Lifting boxes ranging from a few ounces to one hundred fifty pounds will do that to you, I suppose. I don't often think about Equestria now-a-days, but that's probably because it's been awhile. That, and a few things have happened since then. I'm surprised I even remember the name.

"Clear!" The line leads called. We repeated and did the hand signals, and stepped away from the ULDs. They moved forward, and we followed. They stopped and we hopped in the closest ones to us. I happened to be stuck with one of the smallest ones. These damned things can't be any taller than five feet, and I'm almost six feet tall. I sighed and started working on unloading it. Even though I wear a watch, it's hard to tell how much time passed. But It's empty now. I walked over to the water cooler, checked the time and took a drink of water. "1:30? Great..." I took another drink and rotated to the back of the line. I know, my life's pretty dull.

The night pretty much stayed like that until we were done. Now, I have to go somewhere else and help out. I grabbed my stuff and headed over. I don't like going over there, but I need the money. You have to be careful working here, it's pretty easy to get hurt. That being said, I wasn't being careful. I wasn't paying attention to my surroundings, which is a stupid of me. I took a bite of my snack, and drink of my Gatorade, and yawned. "I knew should've gotten more sleep..." I shook my head and kept walking.

I walked passed a door, and suddenly I went flying. I guess I didn't hear the horn, which wouldn't be so bad by itself if there wasn't a second Tug. "Nononono! Stop!" But the driver either didn't see me, the other driver signaling him to stop, or just wasn't paying attention. "Oh you fu-." And everything went black.


My eyes snapped open, and I slowly sat up. What happened? I looked around, and saw stone walls. And I was sitting on a stone floor. Where am I?

I'm not sure.

I don't like this!

"I have a feeling the others don't either..." I laid back down to help with the headache. "Well shit, what now?"

"Zane?" I hear from somewhere behind me. "I-is that really you?"

I froze. Wait, I know that voice... I sat up again and looked behind me, and saw Luna slowly waking up to me. "No... this shouldn't be possible..." I whispered. I can't be back here. I can't!

I stared, wide eyed, at the Lunar goddess. "I thought my sister sent you back?"

I shook my head. "You can't be real, there's absolutely no way. This... I-I'm dreaming, I have to be!"

The expression on her face grew concerned. "I'm afraid you aren't."

"But this is impossible!" I stared at the ground. "You aren't real. You aren't." I said with fading determination. "Please tell me you aren't..." She walked over to me and nuzzled my cheek. It felt...real. So very real. I remembered what happened to me and started shaking. "But...that means..." it like some cruel joke. "I'm dead..." I thought out loud. "I'm fuckin' dead... but..." Luna backed away. Everything was blurry and I felt a few tears drop. I felt something in my mind snap, and something ripping my heart out. But, instead of crying, I laughed. Hysterically. I heard Luna back away even more, and I imagined the look on her face. It only made me laugh even more. It was like I found it so funny that I couldn't stop.

Eventually the hysterical laughter settled down, and I just sat there. Silent tears rolling down my face as I stared at the ground. I couldn't think, or move, or anything. I shut down. "Zane?" Luna said with concern. "Are you sure that you're dead?" I just weakly nod my head. She hummed in thought. "Let's go. I believe a change of scenery would be wise." I don't care... I thought and shrugged my shoulders, and stood up. She walked over to me and hoisted me onto her back. We walked out of a doorway and into a forest. I looked back and saw that we were inside the ruins of a castle. I sighed and just laid back down.


We were still in the forest, since Luna decided to walk. Nothing worth noting has happened, but at least I was feeling better. But only slightly. "Luna?" I said after being silent for most of the time.

Her ears perked up. "Yes?"

"How long has it been?"

"Three years at the end of what you call 'July'." There was a pause. "I thought I would never see you again."

"Yeah..." Was all I could say.

She looked back at me. "I have dreamt of you. Shortly after you were sent back."

"Really?" She nodded her head and looked forward. "What happened?"

"You saved me from Nightmare Moon."

"Huh..." Was my only response.

She stopped. "Can you walk?"

I stretched my legs and slid off of her back. I took a few steps didn't collapse. "Guess so." And I started walking beside her. "I've had dreams about you as well." I said after a while.

I saw a smile. "I know."

I remembered that entering dreams was part of her magical powers, and sighed. "Perfect..."

She chuckled. "Oh come now, it is not that bad."

"Well, it's not like I can do anything about it now, huh?" I shrugged. "It's really no different than Twilight entering my mind. But at least I could consciously hide stuff from her." I'm surprised I remember that...

She nodded her head. "Yes, some of your dreams were... Interesting." Her cheeks grew a pink tint. "Tell me, did things work out with that girl from that..." She paused to find the right word. "Romantic dream?"

I remember the dream she was talking about. Not sure that would be the word for it. "Unfortunately not." I shrugged. "But hey, been single for seven years, what's another few months?" Then I remembered my situation. "Or longer since I'm here and all..."

Luna laughed. "Try being single for over a thousand!" she said in a playful manner

I gave a small chuckle. "I concede, Princess."

"Huzzah! Victory is mine!" That got a laugh out of me. "Feeling better?"

I gave a small smile. "A little bit, thanks for that." An opening to the trail we were on. "So, what's new around here?"

She grinned. "I think it would be better to show you."

I raised an eyebrow. That's kinda the point... "Okay?"


Little bits and pieces of my previous visit here were coming back. I'm sure I don't remember everything but, we'll get to that when we get to it. We exited the forest and I stopped. There was a giant crystal tree like thing. "Is that a...castle?" Luna nodded her head. "Okay... Who's?"

She chuckled. "It would be best if you saw for yourself."

I hummed in thought, but couldn't think of who's it would be. "Shall we then?"

She nodded her head. "I'm sure she would be happy to see you again." She said nonchalantly.

"I know her?" She just nodded her head. "Okay then?" And we began to walk into town. The town looked pretty much how I remember it. At least from afar. My only concern are the townsfolk. I don't really remember them that well. I looked at Luna and she gave a nod. And we began walking. We walked by a cottage with various animals going in and out. Strange. We entered town not too long after that.

The ponies gave me confused and worried looks, which I guess I can understand. We passed by various stores, including a music store that seemed familiar. We then passed by a tree that burned down. I read the sign. "Golden Oaks?" Luna nodded her head. "Wait... Twilight!"

"She's safe, do not worry yourself." She said while looking at the remains of the tree. I looked away and started walking toward the castle. Luna followed behind me. I wondered why she was letting me lead, but didn't worry about it. We walked up to the castle, looked up at it and gave a low whistle. "Fancy."

"Indeed." Luna said walking up to the door. She knocked on the big double doors. "Coming!" A voice said from the other side. The doors opened, and a small reptile appeared. "Oh hello Princess and uh..." He turned around. "Twilight It's for you!"

"Coming!" A voice rang out from somewhere inside.

"This is Twilight's castle?" She nodded her head. "Hmm... Does that mean she has wings now?"

Luna smiled. "You will soon find out."

I scratched my beard and hid behind Luna. A few seconds later a purple pony with wings and a horn flew out from one of the rooms. "Hello Princess, how are you today?"

"I am well, thank you for asking. I have visitor from a far away place here to see you."

"Oh?" Luna nodded and stepped aside.

"Wow," I said. "You've changed."

She stood there, wide eyed. "Zane?!"

I waved. "Hey Twi."