• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 381 Views, 2 Comments

Melody of Nightmares - NightStream



Alicorns were treated much differently than they are now. Here is a story of one such tale.

  • ...
 2
 381

Chapter 4: A new friend

“Uh oh.” She said as she noticed they were getting really low on supplies. “Well it looks like there is only enough food for a few more days, guess I better let him know this.” She then went over and nudged Nightstream.

“What do you want?”

“Well we are low on food and supplies, so we need to stop at that town up ahead.”

“Fine” Nightstream got up and stretched out his wings. Rubbing his eye with a hoof he got breakfast ready.

“You look like you didn’t get much sleep.”

“I had a bad dream, couldn’t fall asleep until I think two hours ago.”

Nightmare cocked an eye at that “Really? I thought you didn’t get bad dreams anymore.”

“Well I thought so too, guess not then.”

“Anyway, how long do you think until we reach the town?”

“Well we should arrive there within a few hours if we fly there.”

“I can say this for a fact, we will wait until Lunch has passed for you to start flying again.”

“Good because I am going back to sleep.” Nightmare just rolled her eyes as she looked across the sky. Looking back at him she decided to go and fly around for a bit. She enjoyed the time when she could just fly freely and let her mind just wander, just the wind beneath her wings, but her mind would always go back to the moment last night when Nightstream made the stars shine bright. She was going to ask Nightstream about that the next chance she got. Why did he do that, was there a reason for doing so. She then looked up at the sky and saw the sun was in the middle of it. She then flew back to their camp and Nightstream was just waking up.

“Feel better?”

“Much, now we can go off towards the town.”

Then they took off, but Nightmare’s mind always went back to last night.

“Hey what’s on your mind?”

“Well I was thinking about what you did last night, with the stars.”

“Your point is?”

“Why?”

“I don’t know a good reason to…….. hey there is the town.” Nightstream was dodging the answer and she knew it.

“I will get an answer out of him, but for now we need to focus on getting supplies.” Nightmare thought to herself. “Well let’s look around and see what else we can find.” As they touched the ground their horns vanished and were turned into normal looking pegasus. As they wandered and got supplies they would also hear some of the other ponies talking about last night and how the stars seemed brighter than normal. Nightmare caught Nightstream smile and decided to smile as well. After an hour they got all they needed for a long journey and then left town as more and more talking was heard about the stars.

“Well what you did last night was definitely the talk of the town, even if they had no idea who did that.”

“Well it is better it remain a mystery than being found out.”

Nightmare sighed “Well you are not wrong with that. Even one hundred years pass by and they still are afraid of alicorns.” Nightmare then stopped and looked at Nightstream and said “Do you ever think alicorns will be accepted like the rest of the pony races?”

“I don’t know how to answer that, but I hope one day they will.”

They kept walking in silence, when suddenly a lone pegasus was walking towards them. Cautious they went past the pegasus, until Nightmare looked over at her and saw the sadness in her eyes.

“Is something wrong?” Nightmare asked the pegasus.

“Huh? Oh um no I’m fine.”

“Well your eyes say differently, I don’t mean to be rude but I was just curious.”

“Well a lot of things happened at my home and I couldn’t take it anymore.”

Nightstream then said “So you ran away.”

“Yeah.”

Nightmare then said “Well is there anypony you are going to see?”

“No, I don’t have many friends anyway. I don’t know where I am going but I know I am never going back home.”

Nightmare then went up to the pegasus and put a wing around her. “How about traveling with us then?”

“Really, I-I mean we just met and all.”

“I know that look of loneliness very well. So if you want we could be your friends.”

“Can I ask your names then?”

“I am Nightmare” she then pointed at Nightstream “and this is Nightstream.”

“My name is Midnight Melody, but you can just call me Melody for short.”

“Well Melody good company is always there when somepony needs another.” Nightmare said that after giving Nightstream a smile.

“Thank you Nightmare, Nightstream. But you should know something first, I can’t exactly fly very well.”

“How come, I thought all pegasi were natural born flyers?”

“Not all of them. I was never a good flyer from birth, and I was never shown how to fly at all. I was rejected by my parent, which is the main reason why I left.”

“I know how that feels.” Nightstream said.

“You do?” Melody asked curiously at Nightstream.

“Yes, and is a story I will share with you another time. For now thought I suggest we move on.”