• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 541 Views, 1 Comments

The Endless Summer Sun Celebration - Mocha Star



While living the same day over and over, Fluttershy has a chance to change

  • ...
24
 1
 541

Chapter Six

“Oh, what am I doing wrong, Angel?” Fluttershy asked the upset bunny, I’ve spent the last week trying to get all my friends to be happy, but nothing works. Applejack and Rainbow Dash are mad at Rarity every time, and Rarity just thinks she’s so much better, Twilight keeps making Spike write lists and, well, Pinkie is okay, I guess.”

Angel stopped looking upset at the pony he was standing on and was listening now, “Oh, every night it ends in a fight, I made a change somewhere along the line and last night Pinkie brought cupcakes and there was a huge cupcake fight. I don’t know what I’m doing wrong. I guess I’ll just take today to spend with my friends here.”

Starting her day as she had for the past few she fed her friends, ate her sandwich and tea breakfast, then went about tending for her cottage. Looking at the Everfree forest she began to think, ‘I wonder if I can make new friends? I wonder how many creatures are in the forest, maybe, just maybe I can befriend a timberwolf. I don’t think they’re as bad as they seem, I can try the stare on them if I need to, and if anything goes wrong, I should just wake up in bed, I hope.

Making a plan she put on her saddlebags, added some various fruits and berries and a dried fish, then made her way into the forest.

Reaching the first shadows she stopped and shivered, the cold magic of the forest began to cover her as she entered slowly. Fluttershy jumped with a scream as she felt something land on her back.

Snapping her head around she saw Angel on her, looking at her, almost telling her ‘no,’ “Oh, it’s okay Angel, I’ll be okay. If anything happens I’ll just fly away and come home.” Looking at each other Fluttershy smiled and turned into the forest, Angel on her back.

The forest was as dark and foreboding as ever. The trees creaked, there were odd noises that seemed to come from everywhere, and the feeling that she was being watched was ever present. After nearly 45 minutes of wandering around Fluttershy became saddened, “I haven’t seen any creatures or critters at all in the forest today. Maybe they’re all taking a day off,” she mused.

Hearing a shuffling in the woods she turned and looked at the source, only to see darkness and shadows, suddenly a sharp pain filled her back and she couldn’t move. She heard a growling sound but couldn’t move her head well enough to see where it was coming from, “A-A-Angel?” Hearing no response sent adrenaline coursing through her veins as her spine began to sting.

Turning her head she finally saw a timberwolf standing over her, it’s massive maw stuck in her back, and Angel trapped, covered with her blood, pressed against her torn flesh.

Gasping in fear and slowly encroaching pain no words could escape her as the timberwolf lifted her up then began shaking, trying to get the pony out of its mouth. As the world turned to a blur Fluttershy could only think of her friends, and how she was going to die alone here. There wouldn’t be a tomorrow, none of her friends would know what happened to her as she was flung through the air.

Hitting a tree she felt her wing snap and she cried out in pain as she tumbled to the ground. Coughing she looked up as the timber wolves circled what was left of Angel, and began to fight over the bunny carcass, “Angel? Oh no, please, don’t…”

Trying to stand was pointless with the pain racking her body, she began coughing, feeling something warm on her chin as she tried to stand again, the weight of her body making it difficult she lifted herself up. Looking as the wolves ate what little remained of her friend she began to walk towards them.

“You monsters. Angel was a great bunny and my best animal friend, how could you!?” she shouted, the wolves looked at her and cocked their heads. Looking at the largest one that had some of her blood on its teeth and maw the others regarded him then he turned away. The others followed without hesitation as the mare shouted angrily at them.

After they had left she fell to the ground, bleeding, broken wings, coughing and in pain she felt dizzy and nauseous. She couldn’t stop looking at the spot Angel was and began to cry. She was alone in the forest with no one around her as she she laid her head down and slowly felt herself slip into sleep, "Oh, Angel, I'm so sorry. This is my fault." As she fell asleep she heard the timberwolves growling from the bushes, the rustling was very close.


“AAAAAAHHHH,” She shouted as she jumped from her bed, flying to the ceiling and hitting her head, looking around she was back in her room, a confused bunny laying on the floor looked up at her. “Angel? OHMYGOSH ANGEL!”

She folded her wings and crashed to the bed then bouncing to the floor sheembraced the little critter, her eyes pouring salty tears onto the bunnies coat. Trying to escape her hold proved pointless as she bawled so Angel waited, confused and upset until she stopped.

Quite some time passed before she stopped crying and let Angel go, “Oh, Angel, you have no idea what happened, but I’m so glad you’re safe and alive,” turning around she looked at her body and sighed, realizing she was not injured, “This is one crazy thing that’s happening, let’s get you some food.”

Returning to town by air it was almost 10 again after she fed her animals sang a few songs and enjoyed the day since she was alive. She landed at the library and entered, dodging the pink blur and receiving praise from Twilight Fluttershy grabbed Twilight by her shoulders and looked into her eyes, “Twilight, something strange is happening to me, do you have any books on time travel or dreams about, uh, Déjà vu?”

“Fluttershy? That’s an odd thing to ask, and this isn’t my library anymore, but let’s take a look.”
Twilight smiled as she began levitating books into piles around herself, “Spike, help me look for ‘Impractical Places in Time,’ it should be here, no wait, over there somewhere.”

“Okay, Twi, I’m on it.”

“Oh, I can help too, I love finding things,” Pinkie said, running to the basement to look for books about time.

“Oh, thank you Twilight, I really need help. I think I’m stuck in time,” Fluttershy said calmly.

“What?!” Twilight said dropping books all around, “Do you mean you’re in a temporal loop or you’re reliving a paradox based on set circumstances or-”

“I don’t know,” Fluttershy interjected, “All I know is every day is today until sunrise tomorrow, and yesterday Angel died, and I think I did too, and it’s a lot to take in.”

“Wait, you DIED!? Fluttershy, do you know what this means?”

“Um, No, I-“

“I don’t know either, but it could be a scientific breakthrough if my research proves fruitful!” Twilight said as her eyes began to sparkle with optimism.

“But, Twilight, if everyday is today, then anything you learn you’ll forget tomorrow, today, whatever.”

Falling silent Twilights ears pulled back as she realized any scientific advancement would be meaningless, “Well, are you sure that what you’re saying is real and not a dream?”

“Well, Applejack and Rainbow Dash will come in in the next half hour, Applejack will win and do a victory circle, she’ll tease Rainbow and say “What’dya think of them apples?”

“Well, that’s not much to go on, that sounds very circumstantial, I think we're getting too excited over nothing, now that I think about it. I’ll help you research whatever you need, but I’m very skeptical.”

“Oh, well, I understand. I just need to know whatever I can, because-,”

“Look at what I found!” Pinkie burst in with a book in hooves ‘Time Travel: Experiences, Causes and Practical Uses.’

“Well, let’s take a look,” Twilight said as she levitated the book and began flipping through the pages, “Oh, look here, it says
‘Repeating Time Loops: These can occur but are unexplained, one case has been reported in antiquity and the Alicorns that were in it eventually got out of the loop with all their knowledge and skills retained, however, the times spent in a time loop is nearly impossible to track and ending said look may take perceieved years or longer. Use caution before casting time spells, have skilled aids nearby, don't die, ask for help...’ it kind of goes on with warnings for the next two pages. Fluttershy, if this happening to you I'm sorry, but I don't see where it says anything to end it, but it does say Alicorns, maybe the Princesses know."

Closing the book Twilight looked at Fluttershy and squinted, “Are you sure this might be happening to you?”

“Oh, yes, I am. After yesterday watching Angel,” Fluttershy choked on her words.

“Okay, I understand, I’ll try to help you and way I can, let’s get to the castle and I’ll run a few experiments, okay?” Twilight asked as she placed a hoof on Fluttershys shoulder.

“Okay, I have all the time in the world, or today.” Spike laughed at the pun.

With a purple poof of magic Twilight and Fluttershy were in the castle science lab. It was originally an empty room in the basement that was supposed to be a barracks for troops however Twilight had it refit to fulfill her scientific knowledge as well as to practice new spells that could apply to technology. There were all kinds of chemistry equipment; flasks, tubes and burners, there were electronic devices only Twilight could understand and various scrolls and books on advanced subjects piled two ponies high around the room.

“Okay, let’s look get started,” Twilight said with a smile as she donned a white lab coat.


“Well, all tests show that nothing is wrong, I don’t get it. If you’re really experiencing today in a temporal loop, there should be a magical or scientific answer, and I’m not getting any readings at all. Your body is in great shape; the amount of magic in and flowing through you is normal, if not a little lower than average for a Pegasus, and you haven’t been in the Everfree forest, except for yesterday when you think you were hurt.

I don’t know, Fluttershy, the evidence isn’t proving your argument right.”

“I know, but maybe if tomorrow is today again, then maybe I can prove it to you and you’ll believe me and be able to do more then.”

“Okay, I can agree to that, I’ll tell you something that only I know and you’ll tell me that tomorrow, if it happens as a test. But, what should it be?”

Thinking as she unhooked various probes and sensors from her friend she had an idea, “I know; when I was a filly I had a crush on this teacher of mine, Lemon Lime, she was my first grade magic teacher. I’ve never told anyone that. I loved when she wore an orange vest because,” she sighed, “when she would cast spells it would make his eyes glow in contrast and they were amazing eyes, let me tell you, Uh,”

“Um, Twilight, I think I get it. So, are you, um..."

Twilight realized what she had said and blushed as she covered her mouth dropping what looked to be sensitive and expensive equipment. There was an almost unnerving silence between them as Fluttershy sat and looked at Twilight who was in shock at what she had said, the only noise was a light hum coming from a machine in the distance.

After what felt like a lifetime to Twilight she lowered her hooves and breathed in heavily then exhaled a shaking breath, "Fluttershy?"

"Yes?"

"I said she, didn't I?"

"Yes, is that what you meant to say?"

Thinking and beginning to tremble slightly Twilight chose her next words carefully, "No. Fluttershy, please, you can't tell anyone. I never made that mistake before now and I need you to keep it between us, okay? You have to promise me. Pinkie Promise me."

I’ll remember and I promise not to tell anyone else, no matter what.” Fluttershy said as she mimed the Pinkie promise.


"Woah, knee tail mane? Someone just made a Pinkie Promise," Pinkie said.

"Pinkie, how can your Pinkie sense know that?"

"I don't know, but my Pinkie sense does," she smiled.


"Twilight, can I ask you something?" Fluttershy asked looking at Twilight her soft eyes.

Gasping Twilight didn't know how to respond. Maybe she doesn't know what she Pinkie Promised to and it's just about keeping the teacher a secret. Maybe her reaction was too much and unnecessary.

Still in disbelief over her slip up but hopeful now she sat in front of Fluttershy a couple paces away she forced herself to smile and nodded.

"Are you into mares?"

Twilight froze, her mind went blank and she could feel herself stop breathing as she looked into Fluttershys calm and loving cyan eyes for a few seconds thinking of what to say. Words she had only thought of in the back of her mind in the rarest of moments were all she could think of, "I like and prefer mares in romantic relationships, however in my defense I haven't had a real relationship with a mare because my studies and training come first as well as my friends and the safety of Equestria and until I get to a certain point in my life and learn everything I need to know I'll think about getting a marefriend but until then I'm fine with looking.

I don't mean looking, it's more like just thinking.

No, I don't mean thinking, well I do because everything we do is thought before actions.

Not that I want to act on my thoughts, because that would be impulsive and I'm not impulsive I'm the opposite and need lists and structure and.."

Twilight was standing now and almost hyperventilating as she tried to rationalize her feelings into words that couldn't come together to resolve themselves. Fluttershy sat and listened for another moment before getting up and rushing to Twilight and hugging her tightly.

"Twilight, I still love you and I accept you for who you are and always will. I believe our friend will too, have you tried talking to them yet?" Fluttershy said as she loosened her hug.

Looking at Fluttershy Twilight leaned into Fluttershy and pressed her lips to hers. Gasping and moving back Fluttershy coughed lightly and looked at the floor, "Oh, Fluttershy, I'm so sorry. I don't know why I did that, please," Twilight started stammering as she lost her words which surprised her since she always had something to say.

"Twilight, it's okay. I'm not that kind of mare and I will keep your secret from everyone, even that I know about it in the next loops, but you have to promise me one thing," Fluttershy looked at Twilight sternly. Twilight gasped lightly while leaning back, ready for bad news as she nodded.

"I get to do the chorus in your wedding," she says as she hugs Twilight. Twilight sighed with relief and felt her heart in her throat.

"Fluttershy, thank you. I think I'll tell the others."

"Really?"

"Yeah, first thing tomorrow."

Sharing a giggle Twilight teleported them back to the library, “Oh gosh, it’s already night time? Hurry, let’s find the others,” Twilight said as she collected herself emotionally.

Finding the others camped out on the hill arguing was upsetting to walk into and for the first time Fluttershy noticed other ponies staring at the scene, “All of you argue every night and I can’t stop it,” she confessed to Twilight.

“Really Fluttershy? I can’t see why we’d be fighting over anything.

“Well, you’re not fighting with each other as much as you all argue over how unhappy you are with your lives.”

“Well, I think we all need to talk before it’s too late, c’mon Fluttershy.”

Walking up to the arguing group Twilight gathered their attention and told them about Fluttershys predictiment.

“So, that’s what we believe is happening, and at sunrise she’s going to start today again, so we need to help her get out of this loop. I’m out of ideas, anyone else have any ideas?”

Dash was the first to speak, “Well, I don’t buy it. There’s no proof here and I don’t see any reason to waste time listening to this.”

“Dash, your son, Kalida, is at home sick and you want to tuck him into bed because this is the first time you haven’t tucked him in in four years. You raced Applejack to the library and lost just by a little and she did a victory circle and said, “How d’ya like them apples? Later, or earlier tonight, you played a toss the rock game at a yellow boat and missed, twice.

Then Applejack won and picked out a stuffed Griffon with green button eyes, lastly Rainbow Dash won a coupon for the spa.”

All the others looked at Fluttershy with shock, “How, how’d ya know all that?” asked Applejack

“Oh, my, gosh. SHE’S PHYCHIC! I’ve always wanted a psychic friend, what am I thinking?” screamed Pinkie as she grabbed Fluttershy and pulled their faces together. Pulling away Fluttershy sat next to Twilight and faced the others.

Fluttershy gave a shortened version of her past few loops she filled them in to the best of her ability. After she was done she was bombarded with questions for an hour as everypony tried to understand the hows and whys.

As the night went on they all began talking about what they would do with their time offering ideas to Fluttershy including shopping in Canterlot, gambling in Las Pegasus, racing in Cloudsdale and the lists went on.

There was a horn signaling the rising of the sun over the hill as the group gathered around Fluttershy, “Oh, it’s almost time. Anything you want me to tell yourselves tomorrow?”

The others looked at Fluttershy and smiled, “We love you, Fluttershy, be safe,” Rarity said as Fluttershy was blinded by the rising sun.