• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 540 Views, 1 Comments

The Endless Summer Sun Celebration - Mocha Star



While living the same day over and over, Fluttershy has a chance to change

  • ...
24
 1
 540

Chapter One - The Beginning

“Oh, good morning Angel,” Fluttershy said as she opened her eyes and brushed her frazzled mane away from her eyes. She was looking at a bunny rabbit resting on her chest, arms crossed, with a scowl on his face, “I guess you’re hungry for some vegetable salad and spring water, right?” Nodding the upset bunny hopped to the floor and bounded out of the room.

‘It’s another day, time to check on my friends and loved ones,’ Thought Fluttershy confidently, ‘First it’s Angel’s salad, then I’ve got to give the squirrels their nuts and I’ll mix in some dried berries for them as a treat. The birds need seeds, but I can’t give them the best ones today, I have to save those for tomorrow morning because the next shipment comes in then.’

Continuing her mental list of things to do and who eats what, Fluttershy made her way to the kitchen, made a quick salad for Angel and began to make herself some hot tea and a flower cucumber sandwich for breakfast.

As she was pouring her tea as she realized she had forgotten her sugar on the counter by the stove. Smiling to herself she went to grab it, as she was about to grab the sugar bowl in her teeth she heard a plate fall to the floor and shatter. She jumped and fell to the floor then began to listen and heard a chirp. Looking over she saw her sandwich strewn across the floor she sighed in relief.

Perking up she hopped to her front legs and fluffed her mane, looking at the table there was a bird fluttering its wings landing on the rim over her cup, “Oh, please, don’t spill tha…” the bird hopped and the cup rocked and spilled, then the rolled over the edge and smashed to the floor, “Oh, that’s ok I guess, I needed to get a new set of cups and plates anyway.” Fluttershy said, meekly, lowering head.

Watching as her favorite cup, which was given to her by Twilight, break was hard to see, ‘I can’t blame the bird, I should have set it more to the center of the table. It’s my fault, anyway, I can eat at lunch,’ Fluttershy thought as she stood up fully and walked to the corner to get a broom.

After feeding her woodland friends three hours had passed. The sun was rising which meant it was nearly 10 am. “I think you’re okay for a couple hours my friends, I’ll see you soon,” Fluttershy said as she trotted cautiously to town.

Today is the Summer Sun Celebration, all my friends will be coming in from all over Equestria and we'll have one of Pinkies famous parties, talk and have great time. I miss seeing them but like Twilight said 'Life moves on, with or without us.' she thought as she made it into town. First I have to go and get some candy and meet the girls in Pinkies room, then we're going to get lunch, then go to the library to have our party. I'm getting so excited, oh, but not too excited.

On her was to Sugarcube corner where all her friends were going to be she began to worry, I hope everyone is as excited to see me as I am to see them, I feel nervous and I know I have no reason to worry. We haven't all seen each other at the same time for almost five months and I sense some animosity among them and I really REALLY don't want to be in the middle of it.

Sulking now, she walked through town nearest to the buildings as she could be, trying her best to fade into the background as she could until she got to her destination.

Walking in the door of Sugarcube corner a few ponies noticed her but didn't acknowledge her knowing Fluttershy to be not a conversationalist in even the slightest sense. Walking slowly to the counter she hopped up and looked sheepishly at Mrs. Cake, who was taking an order. “Hey, get to the back of the line,” grumbled a large mare from the line.

“O-oh. Okay, I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to be a bother, please, go ahead,” said Fluttershy as she walked to the end of the line. Several minutes passed before Fluttershy made her way back to Mrs. Cake, who was looking excited and full of energy with all the business going on.
“Oh, Fluttershy, how are you? Are you here for a box of nutty chocolates or a box of nuts, or, a box of chocolates?” asked Mrs. Cake with amusement.

“N-no, I was wondering, I guess, I mean I could get those if you have them, as long as no pony else was going to get them.”

“Okay, Hun, I’ll get them ready for you, right now,” Mrs. Cake said as she turned to grab a box and two bags.

“Um, also. I was wondering, that if, um, P-Pinkie Pie was ready upstairs?” Fluttershy said in almost a whisper, so as to not disturb Mrs. Cake as she gathered the various treats.

“Here you go dear, that will be 3 bits,” Mrs. Cake stated as she laid the bagged and boxed candies and nuts on the counter. Reaching into her saddlebag Fluttershy produced the money and took the desserts, “Next in line please, what would you like,” Mrs. Cake continued.

Walking aside Fluttershy sank into the floor, bags in her hand a box balancing on her back, she looked at the floor, ‘Why didn’t I talk just a little louder, I know her and I need to go upstairs. She could have heard me if I was a little louder. I know she has a job to do, but it was my turn...’

“Sweetie, what’s wrong?” asked Mrs. Cake standing over Fluttershy, “I bet Pinkie would know how to cheer you up, she’s at the Library with all your friends, they were going to stay here but it’s, um, too busy to have a meeting,” she said, trying to find the words.

Weakly smiling Fluttershy looked at Mrs. Cake with her exposed eye and nodded, “Thank you, Mrs. Cake, I appreciate you taking time to tell me that. have a nice day,” Meeting? since when has us getting together been a meeting?

As Fluttershy was leaving she smiled as a young colt who hopped under his mother and stuck his tongue out at her, “Why is she so weird, mommy?” he asked garnering a snicker from a couple ponies in line and a loud ‘SHH’ from his mother.

I know I’m not weird, I just prefer animals to ponies, that’s a normal thing to want in life,’ Fluttershy thought as she left the bakery.


Opening her wings she took off and flapped her wings fast and hard, trying to get to a good height as fast as she could so she could glide to the library and not have to worry about making a scene. Although she was still wary of heights it was worth the risksince she could shave a lot of time off her trip and be safe with her friends in no time.

Seeing the tree in view she angled her wings and began to circle the tree and landed with expert skill right where she wanted to. Smiling to herself she folded her wings and trotted to the door, ‘Oh joy, I’m here. I’m so ready to relax and be with the ponies I love and that love me for me.’

Lightly rapping on the door, she could hear noise and talking inside, so she waited.
“Knock Knock.”

“Knock Knock.”

“Knock Knock.”

The door swung open with a force great enough to knock Fluttershy five feet back, sending the bags flying out of her mouth. Applejack as laughing, looking back at the group, as she trotted out and tripped over Fluttershy, “Oh, dang Fluttershy, are you okay? I didn’t see you on the ground over here, ya find a ladybug that needed some carin’ for?” asked applejack.

“Oh, n-no, there’s no ladybug,” Fluttershy said as she got up, “I was knocking on the door for the last few minutes and then you opened the door and knocked me back, I’m sorry.”

“YOU’RE sorry? Fluttershy, why in tarnation are you apologizin’ for when ahm the one who knocked you down, are you okay? I’m sorry, none of us heard you knocking. Wait,” applejack said as she straightened up, “You were knocking for a few MINUTES?”

Twilight walked out the ajar door to see Fluttershy picking up two bags and Applejack staring at her in shock, “Uh, hey guys, what’s up?”

“Twi, I knocked Fluttershy here over, and she was outside the door for five minutes before I opened it into her. FIVE minutes, Twi.”

“Oh, that’s okay, Fluttershy was, is, just being kind and trying to not disturb us unannounced. But, Fluttershy, you know this is a public library, no one lives here," she emphasized public, "and you’re our friend. You’re always welcome here anytime, you know that, right?” Twilight said.

“Y-Yeah, I know that, but I didn’t want to be rude. I haven't been to the library since you had it rebuilt and wasn't sure how to enter. Should I just walk in or knock. But if I just walk in would I know for sure that you were going to be in here because you weren't at Sugarcube Corner. ”

Rolling their eyes Applejack and Twilight sighed, “Fluttershy, c’mon now, lets get up and get inside."

"Ahm gonna run and get that cider I was talkin' about, and I’ll see y’all in a bit,” applejack said to Twilight as she galloped back to her farm.

Walking into the library Rainbow Dash, Pinkie and Rarity were talking in a circle, all at once holding their own stories trying to get the other to listen to theirs. Rarity was taking the lead in volume with a tale about a robe crusted with faux diamonds made for a Canterlot noble.

Dash was talking about a subsonic dive loop she was working on and how the effect would dazzle her little stallion.

And Pinkie was looking at a cupcake and pointing to it with an intensity that would make any foals mouth water. She only kept mouthing the words “Look at it, it’s amazing.” Pinkies eyes were full of awe as she stared into space.

Smiling to herself for the first time since she left her home that morning she laid the bags down on a table and trotted over to the group then stopped short, her wings opened slightly and her mind was aghast in shock, ‘My box of chocolate nuts, I must have dropped it when I was flying.’

She resigned herself to the thought that she wouldn’t have all the treats she had bought on a whim.

Sitting behind Rarity and waiting for an opportunity to join in the conversation Spike came up behind her holding a cup of punch.

"Excuse me, Fluttershy, Rarity wants some punch," Spike said breathily as he looked at the over dressed white mare.

“Oh, Spikey, I didn’t see you there, how are you? Are you eating enough… what do you dragons eat besides gems?”

“Oh, well Fluttershy, actually I eat anything but gems are just like candy to us dragons. Sweet sweet gems, red ones. Green ones. Blue ones.” Salivating now the dragon began motioning like he was eating them, "But," he snapped back to reality, "I've gotta get this punch to the most beautiful creature on the planet. Maybe she'll thank me with a kiss or some jewels from her dress."

Leaving him to his fantasy Fluttershy turned to to Twilight.

“Twilight, are there big events planned for this years sun raising? I know its not for another 17 hours, or so, but if I can help I’d be glad to.”

Looking at her friend Twilight smiled and shrugged, “Everything is already done, Fluttershy. I’ve checked the list, double checked that list, and confirmed with every pony in town that everything is set. Princess Celestia isn’t going to be here this year, so I don’t feel I need to be super specific like I used to be.”

“And we checked that list twice more, then made a list of lists we had to check,” added Spike with sarcasm as he walked toward them.

“That’s right Spike, and thanks for all your work today. I actually don’t have any more lists or charts to check right now. OH, I should make a list of things to do today and tonight to keep myself busy until the next time I need to make a list.”

Slapping his face with an audible thud garnered the attention of all the ponies in the room as Spike groaned loudly.

Smiling with an obviously forced effort he turned away, “Thanks Twilight, I was hoping I’d have another list to write. I’ll get the quill,” Spike stated as she dashed to a desk, tears forming in the corner of his green eyes.

“Uh, Twilight, maybe, uh,” stammered Fluttershy, trying to come to the defense of the little dragon. She knew he’d spend the next hours writing lists instead of having any fun, “Can Spike help you maybe later with the lists?”

“It’s no problem, Fluttershy, this is my life,” stated Spike, “I’m happy to spend all my free time on one of the best days of the year *sigh* making lists.”

From the group Rarity spoke softly, "Oh, poor Spike, still at her beck and call after all this time." Rainbow and Pinkie nodded, Pinkie was moving the cupcake slowing into their view as they watched Spike prepare.

“Spike, I’m sorry, but I only need one list, title it ‘Everything to do today and this evening before the sun rising ceremony,” Twilight said dismissively.

“Well, if its only one list it shouldn’t be to bad, I guess,” grasping the quill in his claws he began writing her needs and wants.

After an hour even Fluttershy was having fun mingling and engaging with other ponies, waiting for the sun to reach midday so the party could go outside and they could visit the city events as per Twilights schedule. The cider was brought in a keg and everyone had several cups and sang songs celebrating the day and their time together, all except for Twilight and Spike.

Noon came and went. The cider was nearly gone a large part of it being in Rainbow Dashes belly. The full mare couldn’t fly at the moment and was laughing giddily around the room with a distended belly. The party went outside as noon finally arrived except for Twilight, Spike and Fluttershy. The trio stayed back while the others went to see the events and win some prizes, and see the town many of them only saw when they needed to be there.

Fluttershy chose to stay back and care for Spikes wrist as he often complained of cramps after writing marathons when he was done. Two o’clock was almost about to chime when Twilight finally finished, the papers fell to the floor and Spike fall on his butt, dropping the quill, which Twilight quickly levitated and kept from hitting the floor.

Glaring at Twilight Fluttershy went to the little dragon and took his swelling wrist in her hoof. Looking at it she blew lightly as the dragon blushed, “Awe, you don’t have to do that, Fluttershy, it’ll stop hurting in an hour, you know that,” Spike said.

“I’m so sorry Spike, I keep forgetting how hard this is on your wrists. But, do you think you could help me check my check list before you go and join in the events?” Twilight said with an awkward smile.

Both Spike and Fluttershy glared at Twilight this time, not masking their contempt. “Oh-kay, maybe this list is perfect just as it is,” resigned Twilight, “Let’s go find the others.”


The others were getting their own snacks from sellers and gathered to share and eat. Leading the pack Rainbow Dash led them to a gaming booth ‘Sink the boat.’ “I’m going to win a prize,” rainbow said with her usual confidence.

Picking up a rock she tossed it at a small yellow boat, missing it she creating a splash that was caught and returned to the tub by the unicorn managing it, “Poor luck, you’ll do better next time. That’ll be one bit.”

Begrudgingly Rainbow Dash gave two bits to the worker, “I’ll do it right now,” rainbow said as she hovering leveled. Taking careful aim she narrowed her eyes and threw the ball, “Another miss,” shouted the worker as the splash was caught, “Another try, ma’am?” said the unicorn with a large smile.

“No way bub, this game is fixed,” Rainbow shouted, pointing a hoof at the unicorn.

“Oh, c’mon Sugarcube, if you can’t hit a little boat how are you going to hit that last loop in your next show?” chuckled Applejack as she dropped a bit on the counter.

Picking up a ball she tossed it lightly and hit the yellow boat knocking it over, “That, is how it’s done,” Applejack said tipping her hat with a smile.

“Here you go, m’lady. Who’s up next?” the unicorn asked as he tried to gather new players from the passing crowd.

Looking at the walls of the booth, she admired the numerous toys and animals. Pointing at a little stuffed Griffon the unicorn mare gave it to Applejack why popped it into her saddle bag, “Applebloom will like this.”

“Yeah yeah, lucky shot. I’ll get a prize for,” looking around Rainbow Dash eyed various shops, trying to find one she would win easily. Applejack just waited, hat tipped, she leaned against the game waiting for the challenge.

“Oh, lookie over there, I want to try fishing,” Pinkie said as she skipped on the tips of her hoods to a fishing game.


Trotting up to them after they had finished their lunch and won a few prized Twilight and Fluttershy got caught up on the others' past hours and decided to have some fun on their own.

“I want to try that one,” Twilight pointed at a magic game, “If I win I can get a scroll with a spell on it.”

“Oh, I want to go look at the animals in the petting zoo,” Fluttershy said with a smile as she dashed off.

The next few hours were quite enjoyable for all the mares: they played games, ate snacks and faire food, and Rainbow Dash won a free hooficure at the spa.

“Ha ha ha, laugh it up guys, I’ll never use this so, here ya go Rarity, have one on me.”

“Oh, why thank you dear, but I only get the package deals, I’d have no use for one hooficure. Maybe Twilight can take it?” Rarity dismissively stated.

“Um, I would love to, but I don’t usually get just hooficures, I use my magic to do most of my tasks and I only go with Rarity and have the full spa treatment when I do go which used to be weekly but is now once every few months," Twilight sighed in reflection, "so I’d have to offer it to Apple-,” Twilight said. Almost suggesting Applejack was a close call, even for being a business mare she still hated to be pampered, and a hooficure was only to be done after apple bucking season was over. Dodging a glance from Applejack Twilight suggested Fluttershy.

“Oh, well yes. I would love to take that please,” said Fluttershy with a smile. Holding the coupon in her hooves she smiled wider than she had in two days, she was going to use it first thing in the morning after the sun rising ceremony and bring her friends, who already had plans to go their own ways shortly after the sunrise.

She felt her arms getting heavy and her heart she felt her smile fading.

“Fluttershy, dear, what's wrong? Why are you upset?” Rarity asked, slightly surprised at the change in mood in Fluttershy.

“Oh, its okay. I just really want to go tomorrow, but I have so many responsibilities and things I have to do, and so do all of you.”

"Your animals will be okay for a few hours without you, just give yourself a little me time," Rarity said as she placed a hoof on Fluttershy's back.

“Okay guys, she said she’s fine, lets not sit around here all night and waste time, I wanna get another prize. Race you to the Apple Bobbing,” Rainbow Dash said as she started for a trough.

“HEY, no Flying,” shouted Applejack as she chased behind the cyan mare at full gallop, determined to lose by as little as possible, she slowed and looked back for a moment with her tender country eyes and it almost felt like she had a full conversation to tell with just one look, Sugarcube, you're stronger than you think and you can handle it.

The sun set and the events carried on, winding down so ponies could rest before sunrise. Staying up late the mane 6 talked and watched the other ponies on the hills on their blanket which was laid out by on the grass by Spike hours earlier with snacks and drinks. Her friends began to argue about their lives and Fluttershy just sat back and listened at first but realized she was pretty far outside the heated fracas.

Fluttershy slunk away and took the opportunity to fly home as quick as she could to lay out food for the nighttime animals. Going inside her home she quickly gathered all the foods she needed of and began lining them up in order of preference, creature, amount, time of meals. By the time she was done she was exhausted. She knew she shouldn’t lay down, but a few minutes of sleep would be okay, she’d hear the alarm and wake up with enough time to spare.

Slowly she climbed into bed, laid her head down, and felt sleep engulf her.

Author's Note:

Thank you for making through the first chapter. I'm doing my best to make this a drama, as the story continues it will shift through a lot of emotions, temporal paradoxes and events as Fluttershy learns what it means to love and live.

Criticsism is appreciated, but please, don't be insulting. :pinkiesmile: