• Published 4th Apr 2015
  • 502 Views, 1 Comments

Portals: No More Cupcakes (Book Three In The Portals Series) - The Derpy Doctor



Kevin must go back in time to stop a psychotic character from dismantling Rainbow Dash.

  • ...
3
 1
 502

Darkness in The Light

Rainbow Dash looked down at her wings. She had hurt one of them in bringing Pinkie Pie to the ground. Without knowing, a tear was gliding its way from her eye. Her own friend had wanted to brutally rip several pieces of the pegasus’s body off in the cause of making a cannibal cake. Kevin was ready to sacrifice himself to stop that from happening. Never before had Rainbow felt so loved, but so betrayed.
Kevin watched as the mare’s tear tracked its way down her face and then slowly fall to the floor. Her ears twitched and curled back as her face fell into a sorrowful state.

Kevin drew himself near to her. He slowly ran his hoof across her mane and around her ears. Rainbow did the rest. She moved her head under the swoop and brought it to a rest on his shoulder. Her tears hit his coat and were quickly absorbed. Kevin continued to pet her mane: keeping the tears out of it and trying to calm her.

Kevin waited for a pause a he kept brushing through her tangled mane. Before long, she had calmed and backed herself away from him. Kevin turned to see that Pinkie had seen all of the moment and was likely going to comment on it. He hesitated before gently guiding the mare towards the top of the stairs so that they could speak without being looked at by a particularly psychotic technicolor pony.

They had to find some way to get Pinkie to stop doing what she was doing, if at all possible with no police or violence. Rainbow Dash sat down at the Cake’s kitchen table and Kevin gently passed before realising her position. He stopped to sit at her side. She stared at the counter before turning to him.

“Was it something I did?” she asked complaining.

“You mean to make her do that?”

Rainbow nodded slowly.

“No, Rainbow Dash. It was a random selection that brought you here. A death raffle.”

Rainbow stared at him in surprise.

“How do you know this much?” She asked, scared.

Kevin sighed, now realizing how much he looked like a psycho in the eyes of the mare.

“As a human, we get to see through devices that show us what happens in your world. One of the visions produced by the screen was of your demise. I thought it wasn’t true. I thought the box was a big lie, and I told myself that it was fake. I didn’t want any of this to happen.” Kevin looked at Rainbow as if asking her acceptance for his mistake in assuming.

Rainbow stared at the table as another tear dropped from her cheek. “So none of this has anything to do with any of my flaws?” She interrogated softly.

“What flaws?” Kevin answered with another question.
Rainbow turned her head farther from the perspective of Kevin and as a tear glided very quickly from her adorable eye. “There’s... my voice,” She commented, “Sometimes ponies say that it’s scratchy and masculine.”

Kevin looked back on the first episode that he had seen and remembered that he had thought that she was a stallion just based on her voice. After watching the series for long enough, the voice became one of the more friendly, womanly voices in his mind. He considered how well she sang and how every time she did, it emphasised specific aspects of the song in a stylish manner. Then he realized there was nothing wrong with her voice. It was nothing to be ashamed of.

Kevin brushed the back of mane as she wept, holding back as many tears as possible. She tried to make herself look strong, but failed just enough to prolong a small flow of tears for a longer period of time.

“There’s nothing wrong with your voice,” he stated, “I find it amazing that someone would be looking for flaws enough to point out your voice as something wrong with you. I’m sure when you find a stallion that loves you more than anyone, he’ll love hearing your voice just as much I have grown to love it.

Rainbow Dash started to recover from her trauma. It wasn’t that she wasn’t still scared by the matter of fact that her own friend had both wanted to murder her and torture her. It was that Kevin believed in her. He knew that she wasn’t going to let things like this bring her down. That she would find a special somepony to love her. She wasn’t alone.
It gave her strength knowing that he didn’t want her to be alone. She had great friends that would follow her anywhere. She had a friend now that had almost gave himself up for about an hour of unimaginable torture before dying slowly. She had a particularly powerful stallion of a largely powerful family that would never let her down. She also had an alicorn princess that she knew would care about her long after her time on throne would expire. One thing she didn’t know was that she had more friends than she could count. She had friends that appreciated her regardless of whether she knew the or not. She was loved, and someday, she would be loved by somepony special. She’d have a special somepony. Rainbow Dash stared awkwardly at him until her tears dried. Although an awkward situation to be stuck in, Rainbow Dash appreciated she’d had a friend guiding her through it.

Pinkie had had just about enough of sitting in the dark alone. She was tied in a gnarled position to the metal operating table. She didn’t need to sit here, but in order to protect the balance of the number selection system and to protect the secrecy of the cupcake’s secret ingredient, she’d have to blow cover to some two ponies that messed up her cupcakes way of life. It was her destiny. It was her vindictive, psychotic, destiny.

Kevin cradled the sad mare’s head in her shoulder as she finished her crying. He gently patted her head every now and then to comfort her.

As the the tears flowed, Kevin noticed a movement in the corner of his eye. The door to the basement had opened and the poised, unhappy mare poked her head through the doorway. Pinkie Pie smiled evilly as her ears slanted slightly towards the back of her head. Her mane became a matted mess of pink hair.

Kevin stared at the mass with a very confused expression.

Pinkie cocked her head to the right before speaking. the words of the psychopath almost startling the fearless mare at the table into falling off of her chair.

“I know you want to get rid of me,” she started, “You’re not. In fact, your little predicament from earlier meant nothing to me. I could just as easily kill both of you and take both your remains into a recipe.”

“Why?” Kevin asked in a begging and demanding tone.

“For cupcakes, duh!” shouted the mare excitedly.

“But the cupcakes wouldn’t taste as good with pony organs in it. Why do you need to kill ponies when it would truly be better otherwise?”

“BECAUSE YOU PONIES DESERVE IT! My queen broke her hoof because of you!”

Kevin’s look again became confused.

Pinkie chuckled madly and put her face towards the ground, her eyes still staring up at Kevin.

Her hooves were the first thing to change. They shimmered and then became see-through in specific outlined parts. A wave of magical essence rolled up her body, reaching her face until finally escaping through the pink mane of what was no longer an innocent, pink pony.

“My name is Novo,” said the Changeling standing before them.

Kevin gawked, realizing how she had gotten out of the cuffs. She used magic as an alicorn-like being and teleported herself out.

“When Queen Chrysalis was thrown out of Equestria, she fell a considerably long fall all the way to the cold earth. She broke her hoof!” The vindictive Changeling revealed.

Kevin was more surprised at the matter of fact that she was this upset over that small incident than that she was even a Changeling.

Rainbow, now having a stronger emotion on her face, burned with a pain that she wasn’t before destined to feel. She burned with hate. Her irises shrunk and her fur ruffled all over her. She had a stronger urge than to cry. It wasn’t that she was going to torture Rainbow, it was that in order to be here in front of her, she would have had to do something to her dear friend, Pinkie Pie. The Element of Loyalty was not going to stand for such acts against her friends.

Rainbow Dash threw herself at the sickly beast. Her wings wrapped around Novo and bringing her swiftly to the ground before removing her wings and stomping her hooves on either side of the monster’s head.

“What did you do with Pinkie?!” she shouted in a more wanting tone than a demanding one.

The Changeling smiled as she uncovered the answer.

“Downstairs, left room,” she said rather happily.

Rainbow quickly shot down the stairs directly behind the startling feature in the room.

Novo then cocked her head to the right, eliciting a few cracks before doing the same to the other side.

“So,” said the unguarded Changeling, “Now that the fighter is gone, let’s see the gentle one fight.”

Rainbow reached the bottom of the stairs and looked to her left. A small door stood slightly open. Marks were placed on the outer edges, stating that it had been slammed shut a number of times. The doorknob was scratched and the entirety of it was disturbed with dents and chips.

It was an eerie scene, but Rainbow wanted to see her true friend. She wanted to see the friend. She wanted to know that the friend that would really not betray her was still alive, or at least that she’d had the decency to put her in some sort of a reasonable funeral position.

Tears started again towards the rainbow mane. She started slowly towards the door until finally pressing her hoof against the dented steel of the scratchy doorknob.

The door opened slowly inward to reveal a much more innocent and vulnerable Pinkie Pie. Her face was pressed deep into her front hooves.

Rainbow quickly trotted over to the weakened, pink mare. She wrapped her hooves around the back of her mane, startling another fearless pony. Pinkie Pie looked up to see that her friend was still alive. The Changeling in her basement said that she stood no chance. She was already dead.

Pinkie’s hooves shot around the sides of Rainbow Dash as she started crying over another matter.

“She made me swear not to tell,” Pinkie said into the arms of the cyan pegasus.

“If I would, she was going to reveal herself to everypony and kill all of you. I had to…” Pinkie weeped about every three words.

Rainbow Dash helped her arms out from around the mare and guided her towards the door: no longer a prison to keep the mare in as her imposter took apart her friends.

Fluttershy cried in the bed. She sandwiched herself between the mattress and the bedspread. It wasn’t fair that Kevin had to die. He would leave her all alone? After all he had done for her, he was honestly going to just die one day leaving her all alone with a lost love. Her heart burned for him every time he was near. It seemed that her longing to be with him would only be fulfilled with his embrace. After being noted that he was dead, it seemed that desire would never be met. Not ever again. She looked down at the necklace he had left her. It fit well around her neck. It was a truly fine piece of craftsmanship. To her, it was only just a reminder that he would never return to her loving presence. An extra large tear fell from her cheek as she turned it over to read the words on the back. They were his last words to her. Hopefully they meant something more than what she had read before.

The writing was deeply engraved. It would never be etched out. It was her only remaining part of her best friend ever.
Somepony I love

it read. Fluttershy covered her eyes to wipe away the tears from knowing that he had in fact had very mutual thoughts about her. She felt so alone. She’d never feel his embrace again. She’d never hear his voice again.

Her hoof moved away from her face. The words on the back had read across:

You will never be alone.

Fluttershy was now a mix of confused and devastated.

Not a few moments later, the text changed again.

You have your friends that love you, Kevin still loves you.

“What’s happening?” Fluttershy asked to herself, below a whispered tone.

You felt alone. changed the necklace.

Kevin wanted to be there for you.

“But you’re not Kevin,” came Fluttershy’s response.

I am a bit of Kevin.

He gave a bit of his own personality to make me the ideal companion for you. The necklace changed twice

I will always be there for you.

I am one with Kevin. I will be there for you, just as he was.

The device did seem to creep Fluttershy out, but being that it was just Kevin trying to cheer her up from beyond the grave in the form of a piece of jewelry he gave her for her birthday made it seem better. She had a friend that would always be there for her and she still had Kevin beside her no matter what.

It was Kevin’s love to her in a convenient hoof-sized jewel piece.

Kevin brought his head back and twisted it sideways. A great crack came as he moved it from side to side. He bent his hooves as far as he could to create the same noise.

His wings spread apart and extended over the height of both of the mythical creatures. Kevin’s eyes narrowed in on the face of the intruder. He didn’t want to fight anyone. He was always the one to make the victim feel better. He wasn’t usually the one to actually finish off the evil that started the whole thing. However, because he would likely be the next of her victims and then many others: Kevin had no other choice. Besides, Kevin wasn’t unprepared to “Dance with the devil in the pale moonlight” He had done fitness training on earth. He was not a weak stallion.

The wings of the white pegasus came down furiously fast as his legs thrust against the ground, the force shooting him at the corrupt beast.

He brought all four hooves down on the head and back of the disgusting thing. The force threw it into a wall and pressed its head into the far corner of the hall.

Quickly, it summoned a beam of light and threw it in Kevin’s direction.

Kevin tried to duck under it, but it came to swoop right into his head. He was thrown downwards with the ball. All he saw was a great presence of light until it finally came to rest. The whole of his body ached with what felt like the aftermath of a shock of electricity. He looked up to see that he was actually a few feet below the floor. He was in a small pit provided by the changeling.

Novo stood at the edge of the pit and looked down at the stunned stallion.

“You don’t get it, do you?” it started. “I used the hearts of those ponies as food for a Changeling’s power. We use the love of ponies to gain in magical strength and pony hearts are just filled with it!”

Kevin looked back on the logic behind her reasoning and found that such a thing was probably true.

Kevin was against an unstoppable force. It seemed likely that with all of the destruction she had dealt, Kevin wouldn’t be able to face her.

That was until about five seconds later. Its eyes narrowed and its mouth curled into seductive grin.

A green bottle cracked against the back of the dark head and shattered. Black syrupy liquid poured down the greenish hair and onto the floor by the hole that Kevin laid in. The changeling lay out-cold.

A faint squeak was heard coming from the front entrance. Mrs. Cake had found her way into her own house.

Kevin glared at the downed body of the insect. Black liquid still drained from around the area of the green glass container.

He got out of the ridiculous pit and dabbed his hoof in it to taste it.

He then looked back at the thrower of the weapon: Cup Cake. She stood several feet in front of her spouse: Carrot Cake. Each of them stared at the dark figure.

Kevin finally broke the silence with his best attempt at a joke.

“Nice use of that molasses,” He smiled.

As molasses was a thick, heavy fluid, it was clear that Mrs. Cake had actually selected a great weapon. And apparently becoming a look-alike Pinkie Pie didn’t grant the Pinkie sense.

The door to the basement erupted open and Pinkie and Rainbow Dash stood at the doorway looking upon the scene.“What happened?” Pinkie asked, more excited now that she knew all of her friends were okay.

Kevin chuckled as he turned to tell her about what he had just done.

There were no more cupcakes, and the evil intruder had been stopped.

Author's Note:

Sorry if the current portrayal of Changelings seems rash. I really meant to prtray only this one a psychotic, messed up freak. I actually thing their kind of cool. Anything wrong with what you thought I was making of this story will be made up in full in the next book.:raritywink: