• Published 2nd Apr 2015
  • 2,004 Views, 26 Comments

A Different Kind of Monster - AzelTheMantis



The Canterlot Royal Family faces a new kind of threat as a new foe arises, one with an obsession for plotting the death of Celestia and her son.

  • ...
12
 26
 2,004

Chapter 4

"What the hell are you cowering for, mare? Stand up and face me dammit!!" I yelled. If this was any other day, I would've enjoyed her constant begging but ever since I stepped out of the hive, I had made a promise that I would no longer behave like royalty even if might still keep the title of "Prince".

"Y-yes, of course" Trixie stammered, standing upright almost immediately on all fours. She barely managed to smile as she shook in her hooves.

"I remember you" I said with a low growl, not because of my anger but because of the painful memory associated with her.

"D-don't take Trixie back to the dungeon, please" she begged as she closed her eyes, anticipating my reply.

To be honest, I was starting to get absolutely annoyed by her nonstop begging. All I freaking wanted to do was to go on and ask her whether or not she had seen Tirek but now, the bloody mare had made me waste my time waiting for her to calm down.

"Would you please SHUT THE HELL UP!!" I screamed at her. Not even a small peep followed my frustrated yelling and she instantly fell silent although she stared at me with a look resembling that of a scared critter.

I gave a sigh of boredom as I could hear the faint echoes of my scream fill the Everfree Forest. The rustling of leaves and the occasional wind were the only sounds that followed for a good eleven seconds.

"Get a hold of yourself, mare" I told her as I took a deep breath, "And get this silly cape out of here" I added, using my magic to throw the cape away.

The look on her almost mirrored the same one she shot me when I took a peek inside The Hive's dungeon to check out the prince of Equestria that day.


It was during a visit to Manehattan that I had heard of Chris' capture at the hooves of my mother. Me and a group of changelings wasted no time in flying back to The Nest to witness what would become of the son of our greatest enemy.

It certainly felt ecstatic knowing that we were on the verge of getting one up on Celestia. And as soon as our chitinous, hole-ridden hooves touched down near the entrance to the Spike Hall after hours of flying. However, since we heard that he was being held in the dungeons, I decided to check the place first.

Upon reaching the dungeon however, the monkey prince had already been escorted to somewhere else. Other than the usual prisoners, thr only thing that seemed new was a blue unicorn mare in one of the cells.

As I took a closer look at her, she suddenly turned towards me. I could see the horror and fear in her purple eyes, almost unknowing of what I might do to her. There were tears in her eyes and the fur on her face was visibly soaked.

"P-please let me go" the mare pleaded.

Just as I was about to reply, an explosion could be heard coming from the other side of the Hive. The force shook the entire Nest with so much force that the dungeon walls broke, destroying the bars which held the prisoners in the process.

The next second, an ear-piercing scream filled the Hive. While my companions pursued the escapees, I raced towards the other side of The Hive purely out of instinct.

The blast that probably caused the whole place to shake was far too powerful to have been done by my mom and I just had to find what the hell had gone down.

As I darted across the Crimson Tunnel, I picked up some information from the other changelings. The Nest had been attacked, confirming my suspicions. With every meter I passed, my thoughts were filled with concern for the well-being of my mother and whoever else might have been in the vicinity of the explosion.

Inside I was afraid. Afraid that the attack was from Princess Celestia. My mother had often told me how powerful and ruthless the Princess of the Day could be and that only made me even more anxious.

Eventually, I reached my destination. The whole place was littered with rubble as well as dead or unconscious bodies of my fellow changelings. My innards turned when I saw the damage done to my home and my kind.

At the side, I saw the entrance to the Garden, a domed chamber where uncooperative prisoners were usually executed.

I rushed inside, only to stop dead in my tracks. My red eyes widened when I saw three figures standing on top of whatever was left of the Executioner's Table.

Princess Celestia, her sister Princess Luna and a strange serpentine beast were standing near the body of Chris who was fatally wounded around the chest area.

Before I could react, all four of them disappeared in a flash of light. Some Canterlot Pegasus Guards flying near the giant hole in the dome shot me glares before they left as well. I trotted through the rubble to where Chris was supposedly killed.

The whole area was covered in blood as well as some pieces of flesh and bone. As I stared at the red fluid dripping through the broken table, I involuntarily grabbed a bloody spear nearby. And then I remembered my mom.

"Mom!! MOM!!!" I yelled at the top of my lungs as I frantically searched for her.

My breathing quickened as my heartbeat increased due to the fear for the loss of my mother. "Damn you Celestia" I gritted my teeth as I dug through a pile of rocks but there was still no sign of my mother.

I was just about the give up when I felt a steady, warm breath on my face.

Wiping the tears from my eyes, I dug even deeper before I felt my hooves touch her face. Without a moment's hesitation, I carefully pulled her out of the rubble. She was alive...but barely.

By this time, help had already arrived as the rest of the Hive had been informed about the attack. Snapper had always described the look on my face as a pure mixture of unbounded joy and love as I held my mother.

I gave her a kiss on her cheek as the others began to transfer some of their powers to my mother in order to heal her

It was right there that I swore revenge upon the entire Canterlot Royal Family.

Several months later, my mother was well enough to resume her usual duties and I had nurtured enough hatred and courage to carry out my plan of killing off Celestia and her relatives for the murder of my kind as well as for nearly killing my mother.

Against the wishes of my mom, I headed towards Canterlot, determined to exact my vengeance.


I was snapped out of my flashback by a scared squeak from Trixie. I turned to her and saw her trembling more than ever.

My attention diverted to a broken table at my side, probably broken because of my actions. While I was lost in my thoughts, I had accidentally slammed the table to the side of the carriage in a fit of rage.

"Strangely, I feel better" I said, smiling for the first time since my self-exile.

The next second, I charged my magic again and destroyed a decorated chair with a grey beam of magic. It felt really good venting my frustrations out on some pieces of furniture.

"Err...keep doing that...Trixie doesn't mind" the mare smiled sheepishly as she backed away to the outside.

"Thanks, mare" I smirked before I proceeded to blast holes through the walls, each one calming me down more amd more. And after a whole minute of uninterrupted destruction, only pieces of wood remained in place of the carriage.

"That felt good" I chuckled, changing back into a pony much to the relief of Trixie, "You okay, mare?" I asked the frowning unicorn

"Trixie didn't need that old carriage anyway" she lied. I opted to press her further but I didn't feel like doing it.

"Now, to find that goat face and get rid of Celestia and her family" I said as a devilish grin came across my face.

"Princess Celestia? Are you sure about perpetrating treason?" Trixie asked.

"She has never ruled over me, mare. I don't plan on leaving anypony related to her standing" I said with a scowl.

"Relative of Celestia? You mean you plan to get rid of Twilight Sparkle too?" Trixie asked me again.

"That is the general idea. And if you tell anyone about this, I'll send your bloody behind straight to Tartarus" I warned her before I started walking away, resuming my search for Tirek.

"You can't be serious! Trixie knows Twilight is powerful, you can't beat her!" she yelled as I kept on trotting.

"I've tangled with them before. Can do it again" I merely replied.

"Trixie knows things about Twilight and her friends that you don't" she added. I stopped again, my ears perking up.

"Like what?" I asked back.

"Trixie will tell if you promise her that she can accompany you and that you'll build her a new carriage"

"Go home, mare. You're delusional" I brushed the idea off.

"You destroyed my home" she asserted, "And Trixie can tell you what their weaknesses are".

"Like what?"

"Remember the deal" she smirked.

I would've smacked the smirk off her face right then but I restrained myself. Honestly, I regretted ever skipping telepathy class at that same moment. I hated the idea but I just had to get the information from her because I could feel her sincerity...for a travelling witch that is.

"Fine. Shut up and tell me everything" I mumbled.

"Good choice, changeling"she said in a mocking tone.

"I'm not a changeling" I retorted, "Not since the last two days" I muttered under my breath.

Remember that little thing I said about solidarity? Yeah....screw that.

"So, why do you possess a cutie mark? What does it mean?" she asked.

I turned my gaze to my flank and saw two intersecting circles: one red and one blue.

"I don't know" I told her the truth. I had never actually known what it meant. It had just appeared on my first day of school at Ponyville during class.

"You don't know? What's your special talent?"

"Being lied to" I said bluntly, "And if you do that, I'll tear your head off".

Trixie shuddered before eventually joining me.

And then, my not-so-single road to vengeance continued.