• Published 8th Aug 2015
  • 585 Views, 4 Comments

Finding Home - flanigomik



eight years after the events of In Stitches Rainbow and her children along with new friends set out in search of home

  • ...
0
 4
 585

Chapter 1

“What? Is something wrong?” The filly asked Storm who just sat there with his mouth open.

"W- What is that? Is it some sort of magically floating castle?" He said, pointing at the airship shakily.

"It's an airship..." She said looking at him like he was nuts. "What? Have you never seen one before?"

"An... Airship? Like a boat in the air? Incredible..." He replied completely amazed.

"Yeah... Quite normal" She replied getting a bit weirded out.

"You said there were no unicorns... H- How does it fly?"

"Duh... Big balloon?"

"The balloon holds it up? Interesting...." Storm said, and began down the slope towards the town.

"Yeah... They fly in and out of here all the time..."

"Intriguing...."

"How? It's pretty normal..."

"Normal? I mean, hot air balloons are common in Equestria, but not anything of this... Immensity."

"Really? That is pretty small for one..."

"Small? Its huge!" He exclaimed.

"Where are you from? They are just little mixed carriers! Two hundred ponies max!"

"Two hundred!?!?" Storm replied, shocked. "Not even a train can carry that many ponies..."

"Well yeah... Like you could get a train into this valley anyway..."

"Not enough room for a track." Storm agreed, nearing the edge of town.

"My house is over there" She said pointing in the direction of a large house on the side of the cliff about half way up.

Storm nodded, and proceeded that way. As he entered town ponies stopped and just stared at him, some of them scowling at Apple Crisp who was trying to be small and conceal her rainbow hair as much as possible. Storm noticed how scared she was, and kept walking, giving some of the ponies looks. There was a small group of about five earth ponies playing in the street. They stared at storm looking fearful. As he approached they turned tail and ran off screaming. Storms ears drooped, but he kept walking towards the house. He finally managed to get away from all the ponies, escaping into an area with mostly larger houses and wealthier families.

"They hate me..." She breathed once they were clear

"They are just blind. Nopony should hate you..." Storm said trying to comfort.

"I was born into everything I have... Because I am a Pegasus..."

"Discrimination... How is this Equestria?" He murmured, nearing her house.

"There are only eight... And three are in my family... My mommy can't fly anymore though..."

"Rainbow cannot fly? A terrible thing to happen to her." Storm replied, starting up the stairs that led up the cliff face.

"Maybe that's why they don't like me... Because of my mommy's wings..."

"That is no reason to be hated, Apple..." Storm said, reaching a large gate. The gate was guarded by a pony sitting in the gatehouse.

"Stop. Whahhh What are you?" He asked looking over Storm.

"I am Storm Charger, of the Lunar Guard. Let me pass at once." He said firmly.

"Not what I meant... What happened to your head?"

Storm sighed. "I am a unicorn. Now, please, this filly needs help, let me pass."

"We don't just let anyone in here. The master won't allow it. Strangers scare the mistress. especially males..." He said seeming distracted by your presence.

Storm glared at him with his catlike eyes. "You do not understand the need of the situation."

"The little maiden can come in, She lives here. You must speak to the master."

"Then take me to them" He said getting annoyed.

The guard sighed "I'll send a message. You can wait here." A small bird flew out towards the house.

Storm sighed in exasperation, looking worriedly back at the injured filly.

"Sorry... Ponies don't normally get let up here."

"Apology not required. And please, refrain from staring at my horn." He said. A while later a brown maned earth pony approached the gate from the house.

"Who is there?" He asked.

"My name is Storm. I have a filly here who lives here, and is injured..."

He sighed shaking his head "What did you do this time Apple Crisp?"

"It was not her fault. I startled her. Her leg is broken..."

"Great. You know what your mother is going to do when she finds out?" He groaned pushing a hoof to his head.

"I- I'm sorry!" The little filly shouted.

"Just help her, stallion!"

"Sorry... My name is Doctor Monocles, I am the master of the house." he said

"A pleasure. Now, can we please tend to Apple?" Storm replied trying to get his point across.

"Hold on. I can't let you in here just yet. I need a recording of your voice."

"Hurry up then!"

The doctor produced a small device "Okay... Speak normally and say your name."

"Storm Charger" he said, eyebrow raised.

"Okay. I'll be back in a minute." As he turned Storm caught sight of what seemed to be metallic wings on his sides.

Storm's eyes widened in surprise. "Fake wings." He said to himself, astounded. The doctor continued into the house vanishing from view leaving him alone with the gate keeper and filly. He stayed quite, waiting. After a few long moments he returned followed by an extremely timid looking cyan blue mare. He looked her over, green eyes glimmering. She seemed to be looking in his general direction, her eyes were glazed and faded. Her mane and tail were quite jagged, cut off at various lengths as if she had gotten them stuck in something.

"R-Rainbow...?" He asked.

She stopped in place. "Y- Yes?"

"W-what in Equestria happened t-to you...?" He asked astounded.

"Shhh... Not now..." He whispered tilting his head towards Apple Crisp.

"H- How do you know me?" She asked timidly.

"You don't remember me? We met, in Ponyville." Storm could see the cogs in her head turning and she gasped. He kept the little filly out of sight, managing a small smile.

"H- How did you get here?" She asked her mood hard to read.

"I... Saw the town from Everfree." He half lied.

The battered mare shivered noticeably sound of that name "Wh- Why were you th- there?"

Storm suddenly looked very morose. "B-banishment....."

"Wh- What? Why?"

"I.... That's unimportant r-right now." He said lowering his head.

She looked like she was hit by a tonne of bricks "I was hoping you could take me home."

"Can I..." The doctor interrupted.

"Yeah, let him in." Rainbow said sounding somewhat down.

The gate keeper opened the gate and Storm stepped in. "I cannot go back to ponyville, Rainbow."

She turned and started back towards the house. As she did so Storm caught a good look of her wings, they were badly mangled, broken off at odd angles the remaining 80% made of metal and stained a silvery blue. Storm suppressed a gasp, and followed her, Apple Crisp still on his back. As they passed the front door the filly jumped off almost silently.

"Don't you dare Apple Crisp... You are in BIG trouble..." She started too many emotions in her voice to trace.

Storm couldn't help but chuckle. "Busted."

The filly lowered her head "Okay mom..." And started limping after her.

"You think I wouldn't notice you gone for a day and a half?" She almost yelled exasperatedly.

Storm stood off to the side, letting the two have there time.

"Mommy... I- I'm sorry!" She said starting to cry a bit.

"I have been worried sick about you!" She said hugging her daughter. "What happened to your leg?!"

"N- Nothing..." She lied.

"She broke her leg" Storm butted in still trying to get her taken care of.

"You broke your leg! Are you okay? What happened?"

"S- Storm found me in the f- forest." She squeaked quietly.

Storm cleared his throat. "I... startled her. She ran, and tripped."

Rainbow seemed to have something else on her mind "What forest? What forest were you in?!"

"Th- The one you told me not to g- go into."

"I- I could have lost you! You are so grounded." She said suddenly hugging her daughter.

Storm backed away again, suddenly feeling like he did not belong here. "I... I should go."

"No!" She paused, collecting herself. "Stay here... I- I wanna have a friend."

"A... Friend? I would love to stay. B- But it is clear the ponies of this town do not wish me to be here."

"Pff. Whatever. The Doctor will take you. Just because you are different. Just stay, please?"

"I... I suppose I can stay." Storm replied, managing a smile.

"Someone for me to talk to anyway. I never get out of here."

"That must be tough, Rainbow."

She sighed. "follow me." She handed off Apple Crisp to the doctor. "Take care of her for me alright?" She said continuing on with a limp. Storm followed, still trying to grab hold of this strange situation. She lead him into a room which looked like a private hospital room complete with bed.

Storm looked around, catlike eyes soaking in his surroundings. "Interesting place."

She sat on the bed looking depressed, her body scared.

"Rainbow. What happened t- to you? You look like you have been through h- hell..."

"That's putting it a bit right" She said letting out a breath "You want me to tell you?"

Storm nodded. "I am trained to listen."

She sighed again "Well... I- I was kidnapped."

"Kidnapped? By w-whom?"

"I- I have no idea... Ponies... I have no idea who... They blinded me..."

"In the forest?"

"No. But they dumped me to die there."

"To... Die?" Storm replied, quietly. "How... How did you end up here, in this s- strange place?"

"I wandered, fell into a river, And then over a waterfall... I died in surgery... The Doctor kept bringing me back... He found me, half drowned, at the bottom of the waterfall..."

"Wow..." Storm said, unsure of what to say.

Storm could see tears in her eyes "You know what the worst part is?"

"What...?"

"I am still blind. I have never seen my babies."

Storm's eyes widened, and he gasped in a mixture of surprise and sadness. "That is..." He said quietly, unable to finish his sentence.

"Horrible. The doctor says it may be fixable... But nobody has anything close to fine enough to even try scraping a layer off my eyes without destroying them more."

"Maybe... N- No, never mind. A bad idea."

"wh- what? Maybe what?"

"I... know a spell, used for s- sharpening blades... It is p-possible it could work on your eyes, if I can get the f- finesse right..."

"P- Please? C- Can you try?"

"I shouldn't. I could hurt you."

"Please?"

Storm nodded slowly. "B-but I must warn you... If I slip, I could permanently damage your eye..."

"Currently blind with the chance to become blind?" She stated to make a point.

Storm nodded. "Just keep your eyes completely still... This may tickle." He said, as his horn began to glow a soft blue. She sat as still as death. Her eyes became coated in the same glow, as the spell disintegrated the malignant layer, slowly but steadily.