• Published 31st Mar 2015
  • 1,157 Views, 13 Comments

Twilight's Star - AlicornPriest



What happens when Twilight's star dies?

  • ...
2
 13
 1,157

Chapter 4

Chapter 4

Rarity and Twilight landed with a thump in a darkened building. Just outside, a large crowd was bustling about, making the noise of everyday commerce. Nopony seemed to have noticed their magical entrance. Rarity dusted herself off and looked at Twilight. She appeared no better or worse than before: still that glassy-eyed stare, still no cutie mark, but she was on her hooves at least, and able to walk around. “Come now,” she said, “let's head out and see where that Regulus has warped us.” She held onto one of Twilight's hooves and led her out into the open.

It was Canterlot. The fool star had sent them back to Canterlot. Judging by the awestruck expressions on some of the passersby, the time they'd landed in was before Twilight had reached her ascension. She wasn't entirely sure why he'd sent them here, but nevertheless, she needed to find somewhere Twilight could rest until they returned back.

“Rarity...”

She jumped. Twilight had spoken, and not in response to some obscure magi-science fact. Rarity could, perhaps, do without the obnoxious, snivelling tone Twilight had affected, but an improvement was an improvement. “Yes, I'm here, Twilight,” Rarity said. “I'm looking for a hospital or a hotel, somewhere with a nice, cozy bed you can rest on for a few minutes.”

“I don't think I can...”

“Nonsense! We'll have you good as new in no time!” With that, she tugged on Twilight's hoof again and dragged her onward through the streets.

They made it almost all the way to the ice cream parlor across the street before Twilight began to complain again. “Rarity… Please, just slow down...”

“I want you to get better as quickly as possible, darling, so please, try to keep up!”

“But Rarity--”

“No buts! Follow me, now!” She tried to remember the last time she'd been here. Was the hospital down this way, or the other way? She chose one way and hoped for the best. As she followed along the sidewalk, she bumped and pushed her way through the crowd. In a particularly busy moment, a bright-colored mare knocked her from Twilight's grasp. The two of them were immediately separated in the bustling swell of ponies. Despite Twilight's taller height, she blended in with the other nobleponies about. It was like trying to find a needle in a haystack. A moving haystack that kept complaining and calling her rude names as she pushed through them, begging their pardon with each new step.

It was a tense few moments, but eventually she found Twilight collapsed by the side of a building clutching her head. She looked up to Rarity, and Rarity saw the tears streaming down Twilight's face. “I'm sorry, Rarity...”

“I know, Twilight,” she said. “I know you're suffering, so I don't hold it against you at all. Now come on, dear. Your best hope is if we get you somewhere comfortable where you can relax and recover.”

But Twilight wouldn't move, no matter how much Rarity pulled her. She only sat still, her hoof on her head, and continued to mutter her apologies. Finally, Rarity gave up. “All right, dear. I suppose this will have to be as comfortable as you want it.” She slid down next to Twilight and wrapped one hoof around her shoulders.

They sat there for a little while. Rarity would pipe up, “So Twilight, do you think maybe...” or “Twilight, let's get up and move over to...” But Twilight never responded. Eventually, Rarity stopped trying to get Twilight to talk; she'd start when she was good and ready.

“Rarity… my head hurts.”

A dozen excuses came to mind. “Oh, I'm sure that will go away soon.” “Nevermind that; let's just keep moving.” “It's all in your head, Twilight. Keep a stiff upper lip!” But she was starting to realize that those weren't helping in the slightest; all lies or rationalizations or second-guessing the poor pony's suffering. So instead, she only said, “I know, Twilight. I know.”

“And my wings, they don't feel real anymore.”

“I know, Twilight. I know.”

“And without my cutie mark, without my star, I just feel so lost, like I don't have a purpose anymore.”

“I know, Twilight. It's all okay.”

Twilight sniffled, then began outright blubbering. “I'm just so scared, Rarity. I'm sorry...”

That struck a chord deep in her. “...Me too, darling.”

Twilight lurched at that. “You're scared? But… you always know what to do.”

“I don't, Twilight. I really don't. All this time, I've been trying to put forth a good face. I thought, if I could just find the answer, then maybe this would all be over faster and we could just pretend it never happened. I just… I was only trying to help.”

Now it was Twilight's turn to smile. “I know, Rarity. And I don't hold it against you. Come on.” Twilight stood up and beckoned out a hoof to help Rarity up. It shook in Rarity's grasp, but neither of them were particularly strong-nerved at this point. Twilight took a few faltering steps, with Rarity holding one wing. An outside observer wouldn't have been able to tell who was supporting whom.

Rarity wasn't entirely sure where they were going, but Twilight seemed to know what she was doing. Maybe they were going to Twilight's old home? Or to the castle to speak with the Princesses? Or maybe--

Twilight stopped in front of her, and they both stumbled against the flowing crowd. There, all the way on the other side of the road, her little form silhouetted against the setting sun, was filly Twilight. She was kicking a little stone in front of herself, and she seemed to be mouthing some sort of angry tirade to herself. They'd come full circle.

Twilight took a step forward, but Rarity pulled her back. “Twilight! This is the whole reason why this thing happened! You could just--” She stopped. “This is… it's something you have to do, right?”

Twilight nodded. “Mm-hmm.”

It pained her to do it, but she let go of Twilight and stepped back again. “Just so long as you're sure it'll help.”

“I'm sure.”

“All right, then.” She waved to Twilight goodbye, then, on a whim, she made a sharp whistling noise. Not too loud, just loud enough to subconsciously catch filly Twilight's attention. She looked over, and her eyes widened as she saw older Twilight's (Rarity supposed it should be “Vespers,” now) majestic, albeit cutie mark-less, form. As Twilight came over to talk to Vespers, Rarity allowed herself to blend in with the crowd. I suppose she could only do this herself, she thought, here at the end. Her own cure.