• Published 3rd Nov 2016
  • 876 Views, 19 Comments

With Bursts of Speed! - Box of Imagination



A musician by day, a hero by night. Skye Swift uses his speed and skills to fight crime and protect Equestria from those who threaten it. However as time goes on, it starts to become increasingly difficult to balance his double life.

  • ...
0
 19
 876

Chapter 4: Home

The chilling evening air flowed through Skye's mane and parted individual strands of hair as it whizzed by. Stretching his muscles for the first time in months felt amazing especially since he had more endurance and strength to push himself more than usual. He loved the feeling that came with flying because it gave an overwhelming sense of freedom that no other activity could possibly provide. For a few seconds, he closed his eyes to relish in the moment before he felt a slight updraft of air that took away his focus.

Opening his eyes he looked ahead and saw that he was approaching Cloudsdale. Skye's eyes lit up at the sight of his home after being gone for such a long time. He stopped flapping and angled his wings to quickly glide and land in the city square. Skye did not waste one minute after his hooves touched the clouds and started looking for Cloud 9 so he could check in on his dad and the bar.

There sitting atop the largest cumulus cloud with an inviting staircase was Cloud 9 busy as usual. It never ceased to amaze him that the bar was just as buzzing with business during the day as it was at night. After admiring the his surroundings for a quick moment, Skye walked up the steps and entered the bar. There inside tending to customers was Sparkling Tonic who was too preoccupied to notice Skye's entrance. He simply decided to wait and until she was done helping ponies to get her attention.

"Just a sec hun, I'll be right with ya in a sec." Sparkling said while ducking beneath the bar to put away a tray. She was completely oblivious to the fact that it was Skye she was speaking to.

Skye simply chuckled to himself as he waited. She was always like this whenever there was an influx of customers.

"Alright what can I get ya?" She asked as she reached for a new glass behind her still not noticing him.

Rolling his eyes with a smirk, he answered. "I'll have a citrus cherry spin on the rocks!"

"A citrus cherry spin coming right-" Suddenly, she froze in place and slowly started to turn around.

As soon as she met his gaze her jaw dropped, "S-Skye!? Is it really you?"

"Hey Sparks! Long time no see!" He said laughing at her shocked expression.

The violet mare's smile widened and she ran out from behind the counter to hug him. "You're okay! We've all been worried sick!" she said after breaking the hug.

Skye glanced around before turning his attention back to mare and smiling, "I know, but from the looks of it you've all managed to hold the fort just fine while I was gone."

"Sort of..." she sighed, "We had a bit of trouble shortly after the Ponyville Center incident."

Skye raised an eyebrow, "What happened?"

"Those three ponies from the incident have inspired others to act out and commit crimes." Sparkling explained. “They have been targeting large businesses and robbbing them dry.”

”Did they target and rob Cloud 9 while I was gone?” He asked taking in the information.

She shook her head and and placed a drink in front of him, “Not yet, but who’s to say they won’t? This rise in criminal activity has everypony on edge and not just here in Cloudsdale, but everywhere in Equestria.”

Skye took a sip of his drink as he thought about the situation. ’Looks like even Equestria has criminals hiding in it’s dark recesses. All it takes is somepony, or in this case three, to pull off a crime and get away with it for the rest to follow and come out of the shadows...’ He thought to himself.

“Equestria to Skye!” Sparkling shouted at him ending his trance.

“Huh? Oh! Sorry I got lost in thought there for a second...” Skye rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment.

She rolled her eyes before noticing something different about him. Sparkling started to tap her muzzle and studied Skye’s features until she noticed his new appearance and went wide eyed. “Whoa! What happened to your eyes and hair?”

Skye couldn’t help but feel a little insecure when she asked, but he brushed it aside and shrugged. “Apparently my body was so badly damaged after the attack that my cells couldn’t properly read my DNA as it was damaged too. So while I was healing, my body compensated by filling in the blanks in my DNA with new DNA.” He explained with a blank stare, “Or at least that’s what the doctors think anyway.”

Sparkling took a minute before shrugging, “Meh. It’s not that bad of look and in fact it suits you better than your old look.” She then walked back behind the bar, “Anyways, it was nice catching up with you and all, but I have get back to work.”

He nodded before asking, “Is my dad here today?”

“Yeah he’s upstairs in his office. You being here might cheer him up for once. He’s been mopey lately which is completely understandable, but it’s still not healthy to be so depressing all the time.” Sparkling said as she started walking towards the other patrons at the bar.

Skye finished his drink, opened his saddlebag, and placed a few bits on the bar. He may work here but he always felt bad when it came to not paying even though it was a free drink on the house. “Thanks Sparks!” He said getting up from his seat at the bar and trotting over to the stairs and up to his dad’s office.

Slowly opening the office door, he spotted a dark blue Pegasus with a light blue mane that contained white hairs sitting in an office chair that was facing a window. On the desk was a name tag that said ‘Cloud Drift’ along with photos and business documents. Skye frowned at the stallion’s appearance, his mane was tangled in a mess, his coat was matted in certain spots, and the smell of many shower-less nights filled the room.

Cloud Drift sighed and spoke, “Who’s in here? I thought I told everypony I didn’t want to be bothered.”

“Care to make an exception for family?” Skye asked walking up to the desk.

The stallion's ears perked at the question and he turned his chair to face the visitor. Upon noticing it was his son, Cloud Drift nearly toppled over in his chair as he scrambled to stand up and run over to Skye.

The two ponies immediately embraced in a bone-crushing hug. Despite it only feeling like he was gone for a day or two, Skye realized it was way longer for everypony else and they were all probably worried sick about him. Especially after nearly getting killed and then suddenly slipping into a coma for four months , it was hard for him to imagine what his dad and Soarin must of gone through in his absence. Skye was no stranger to grief, but to almost loose your son was something that could truly mess anypony up.

“Y-You’re here! Y-You’re here!” Cloud struggled to say in between short breaths and sniveling, “Y-You’re safe...”

Skye heartstrings were pulled as he shed a few tears with a thankful smile, “Yes dad, I’m okay. Still in one piece!”

Cloud broke the hug and smiled at his son before asking a ton of questions, “When did you wake up? Should you be on your hoofs right now? How are you feelin-“

Skye quickly interrupted the barrage of questions and chuckled. “I just woke up about 3 hours ago. As far as the doctors and nurses could tell, there is no reason I shouldn’t be on my hoofs right now and despite all that’s happened I feel better than ever.”

Cloud returned to his chair behind the desk and Skye took a seat in a nearby chair. “Good, Just making sure you’re okay.” He studied his son’s new appearance, “What’s up with the hair and the eyes?”

“Side-effect of staring death in the face apparently “ Skye summed it up. “How are things here?”

“Not bad. Despite the rise in crime, this place has mostly uneventful as usual.” Cloud replied with a shrug. “Business as usual pretty much.”

Skye nodded. “Speaking of this place, when do you want me to come back to work?” He asked, “Not to sound impatient as I’m not in a rush, but I’m sure you still need an extra set of hoofs around still. Right?”

Cloud frowned, “That’s something we need to talk about...”

“What do you mean?” Skye asked suddenly worried.

Cloud took a deep breath before speaking. “After this whole incident at the show and almost losing you made me realize and rethink everything. You’re so young Skye and you have still have a long life ahead of you. You have yet to accomplish your dreams and experience the many meaningful things life has to offer.” He sighed before continuing, “And yet here you are wasting your time at this bar and not truly living the fullest.”

Skye lowered his ears, “Dad...”

Cloud cleared his throat and fixed his posture. “If you had died, I would of never forgiven myself for keeping you here and preventing you from truly living. Which is why you won’t be working for me anymore.”

“WHAT!?!?” Skye shouted stunned.

“From now on I want you to go out and experience everything life has to offer. Go and accomplish your dream of being a singer, make friends and memories, explore Equestria and go on adventures, and maybe even find somepony to love.” Cloud said with a smile as he leaned back in his chair.

Skye was absolutely surprised with what was happening. “I want to go and do all that, but how am I going to live this new life without a job? I barely can afford my apartment.”

"This might help..." Cloud opened a desk drawer, pulled out an envelope, and placed it in front of Skye. "Shortly after your mother passed away a couple years ago I was sent this letter. Go ahead and read it."

Skye opened the letter and began to read.


Last Will and Testament

of

Golden Harmony

I, Golden Harmony, of Ponyville, Equestria declare this my Last Will and Testament.

I first direct that all my debts, estate, and expenses be paid off from my lifetime savings. The remaining balance of my lifetime savings shall be paid to my only child Skye Swift. In addition, the ownership of my estate and any property and possessions found within shall also be passed on to my child.

My shares of the company Scratched Records LLC shall be evenly distributed between Skye Swift and my previous partner Cloud Drift. The board members and staff of Scratched Records are to be notified of this as soon as possible.

The execution of this will shall be carried out by Mayor Mare of Ponyville. Should for any reason Mayor Mare be unable to carry out this will, I hereby appoint Cloud Drift of Cloudsdale.


Skye took a minute to absorb the contents of the will. It had been two years since his mother, Golden Harmony, had passed away from heart problems. He had a hard time accepting that she was gone and it took a while for him to move on. Yet here in his hoofs was her last will and testament.

Cloud interrupted the deafening silence, "When I received that will a while back, I was unsure of what to do with it. You were just barely entering adulthood at the time and had so much more on top of your mother's death to handle at the time. I had just given you a job, you moved into an apartment, and so much more." he explained, "I felt like if I gave you this will right away, it would of been too overwhelming."

"Most ponies would have been angry for withholding this from them, but I'm actually glad you did." Skye said with a half smile.

"Why not? I would have expected you to be angry." Cloud asked with a shocked expression.

"I'm not mad because in all honesty I was struggling really hard to move on after her death. Anytime some pony would mention her name back then, her memory always came flooding into my head and reminding me that she was gone." Skye replied, "And not to mention after getting a job and place to stay, it would have overwhelming to receive all that stuff mentioned in the will at that time in my life. Therefore, you were right."

Smiling, Cloud spoke. "I'm glad, but let's get back to the subject of you leaving this place. This will is going to help you by giving you Golden Harmony's home and property to live in along with what is left of her savings and her stake in that recording studio in Ponyville."

"I was about to ask about that. She owned some shares from a recording studio?" Skye asked.

"Yeah. Back when she was still recording new music, Golden bought some shares from Scratched Records LLC. A company now owned by a young prodigy named Vinyl Scratch." Cloud answered, "Since Golden has split the shares between you and me, we partially own a little chunk of the company which should allow you to use the studio to record music of your own."

A smile grew on Skye face, "Sweet! I finally have a place to record my own music!"

"Indeed!" Cloud laughed before looking out the window and noticing it was approaching sunset. "Well how about you head to Ponyville before it gets too late and get settled in?"

"But I haven't packed my stuff and moved it there yet!" Skye said scratching his head in confusion.

Cloud waved a hoof, "Don't worry about that. Soarin helped me move your stuff out of your apartment and into your new home. Oh by the way, you don't have to worry about your payments on your apartment. I paid off the last 4 months of rent, this month's rent, and canceled your lease. So now all you have to do is go to Ponyville and relax as you settle in."

Skye stood up and stretched, "I don't know how to thank you dad..."

"You can thank me by making some awesome music ok?" Cloud said with wide smile.

"You got it pops!" Skye laughed before waving, "See you later!"

"See you later!" Cloud waved.

With his mother’s will in his hoofs, Skye bursted out of the office and quickly ran the bar to start his flight to Ponyville.


The late evening air was a little too chilly for Skye’s taste and his body reflected that by shivering violently in the cold. He managed to ignore this fact by keeping his mind occupied.

Despite everything that has happened to him lately, Skye’s life was changing rapidly for the better. He had been given the opportunity to perform at the Grand Galloping Gala in front of a few thousand ponies, he was moving back into his child home, and he had given access to a studio to record music. Things couldn’t get any better.

As Skye continued to enjoy his state of mind, he was brought out of his thoughts by some shouting below. In a dark alleyway, was a scrawny blue unicorn stallion with a white mane. The unicorn was getting backed into a corner by a trio of earth pony ruffians.

‘This can’t be good...’ Skye thought as he landed nearby and began to ease drop on them.

“This is your last chance to fork over the bits pal!” The leader of group yelled at the unicorn.

The unicorn began to shiver and cower in fear. “I-I can’t!! I need this money to f-feed my f-family for the next f-few days!!”

The leader looked at his lackeys and began to laugh. “Aww isn’t that heartbreaking? Say boys, shall we cut him some slack?”

The two looked at each other and smirked before turning their attention back to their boss. “NAHHH!! Let us at him boss!”

“Alright, go get him and fetch those bits while you’re at it!” The leader commanded.

Skye’s heart began to speed up and felt like it was going to explode out of his chest. He couldn’t let these punks ruin somepony’s night. Not on his watch. The scene in front of Skye and his surroundings began to slow down like a slow motion film. Letting courage and determination fill his veins, he felt electricity arch throughout his body and suddenly he jolted forward at incredible speed.

The first lackey to the leader’s right was knocked into the wall behind them with a very audible snapping sound accompanying the impact. Startled, the leader ducked for cover and watched as a blue blur of light took out his other associate by grabbing him and flinging him out of the alleyway in the blink of an eye.

Scared the leader began to shake and despite the fear in his eyes yelled, “Show yourself whoever you are! “

In a flash of bright light and a loud crackle, Skye appeared right in front of him. Skye’s eyes were glowing a bright violet light that illuminated the area and light blue electricity arched thoughtout his body as he shook with overwhelming speed and power. The crackling of energy echoed throughout the alleyway as he stood there in front of the crook. Everything was happening so fast that Skye hardly had anytime to fully wrap his head around what was happening to him. All he knew was that he needed to intervene this attack and this newfound speed was the key to doing so.

He looked the leader in the eyes and glared. “I’m going to give you thirty seconds to leave, and if you don’t you will suffer worse injuries than your buddies here. Do you understand?”

The leader gulped and nodded. Skye smirked and yelled, “Good! NOW LEAVE!!”

The two injured ponies quickly dragged themselves out of the alley with their boss following. Skye’s heart rate began to lower, his eyes stopping glowing, and the electricity very gradually dissipated but not entirely.

'What is going on with me?' Skye questioned himself as his thoughts caught up to him.

Despite feeling somewhat calm and normal again for the time being, his nerves still felt a little buzzed from the overflow of energy he had just experienced. Skye thought back to Soft Heart at the castle's medical wing, she did mention that there was a slight chance that other changes to my body might manifest if there were any more changes to begin with. This superspeed was without a doubt caused by the injuries he suffered, but he had no idea how it gave him this power or how it worked. However as far as he could currently tell, there were no negative side-effects of using it and he was sure in due time he would figure it all out.

With a deep sigh of relief, Skye turned his head to the blue unicorn who was shaking and sobbing on ground. He approached the stallion and offered a hoof. The stallion stared at the hoof still unsure and trembling before taking it.

"Are you okay? Are you hurt at all?" Skye asked.

The stallion started to calm down. "I'm fine and in one piece!" he replied with a half smile, "Thank you sir."

Skye smiled, "No problem. After all, it would suck to be robbed before Hearth's Warming."

"Agreed." The stallion chuckled. "So what are those freaky powers you have? You were glowing and sparking like a bolt of lightning. Not to mention you were also moving crazy fast!"

"Not sure yet... Honestly, that came out of nowhere. One minute my heart is pounding and everything is moving super slow in comparison to me, next thing I know I have taken out those three punks before any of them could blink." Skye explained. "I think it has to do with something that happened to me recently, but I'm not entirely sure."

"Well again thank you for whatever you just did." The stallion said smiling.

"You're welcome. How about you get back to your family before they get worried?" Skye suggested.

The stallion nodded before trotting off. Once Skye was alone, he sighed again before moving his thoughts back to what just happened. He was moving super fast, so fast that everything around him slowed down to the point where time felt like an eternity. Skye lifted up his hoof and remembered the arching electricity that was flowing throughout his entire body. Noticing a puddle nearby, he approached it to look at his reflection. His eyes were still glowing very slightly back at him.

Looking at the sky, he noticed that the sun had finally gone down and Ponyville was still about 45 miles away. Skye realized that at this rate he would not make it in time to grab a late dinner at a restaurant or cafe. As he stretched his wings and got ready to take off, he suddenly got an idea. What about his new powers? If he could manage to control and use his power at will, he could use it to get home faster. But how exactly do you use powers that you just discovered?

Skye's mind retraced back to what he felt earlier. While he was eavesdropping on those robbers, he felt a pool of energy inside him. When he was about to interrupt the attack, he felt a spark inside the that ignited that pool of energy and flooded him with all that speed and power. If he was going to use that power again, he would need to find a way to create another "spark". Skye closed his eyes, took a deep breath, and began to focus on everything he was feeling at the moment. As he concentrated, he kept fine-tuning his senses until he began to feel that pool of energy swirling around and collecting at the core of his being.

Skye stretched his wings again and prepared for take off. Once he was in position, he breathed in and focused on his energy. Suddenly on command, he felt a spark and took off into the air so fast that he shattered a few nearby windows. Soaring through the air at such high speeds was stunning all of Skye's senses as his veins filled with adrenaline from the thrill of supersonic speeds. As he flew, he was sparking up a storm and leaving a trail of electricity as he flew. Never having flown this fast ever before, Skye was having a bit of trouble with keeping himself steady and in control of the flight. The air resistance was incredibly strong and made it difficult for him to maintain the perfect wing rhythm and angle. If he lost control for even a second he would spin out and go for a extremely rough landing. Skye kept his his breathing steady and consistent as he focused on his destination up ahead.

Flying that fast felt almost as amazing as the first time he flew.


Skye stood there at the edge of a cloud staring ahead at the immense grassy fields below. He was shaking due to his fear of heights and the possibility of crashing. The white pegasus colt had hovered and glided before, but this completely was different. This time he was to fly about fifty feet and back without the safety of clouds to cushion his fall.

"Do I really have to do this mom? Can't we just wait until I get a little bit better at flapping my wings?" Skye asked.

A sunlight-colored pegasus mare with a windswept white mane approached from behind. "Sorry Skye, we've already done that two times this month. Don't you want to fly like the other ponies at your school?" Golden Harmony smiled as her beautiful voice soothed her son's nerves a bit.

Skye nodded, "Yeah I do, but what if I fall and get hurt or something goes wrong?"

"Everything will be fine. I'm right here just in case anything goes wrong." she assured him. "Look at me Skye."

Skye turned around and smiled upon seeing her face. "What mom? What is it?"

"There is two things I want you to always remember in this world." Harmony wrapped a hoof around him as she continued, "The first thing I want you to remember is that you should never let your fear control you or your fate. No matter how scary something may be, never let that stop you from doing it."

"What about the second thing?" he asked.

"Always trust your instincts." she said as she kissed him on the forehead.

Skye took a deep breath and put on a look of determination, "Mom. I'm ready!"

Harmony gave him a proud smile, "That's the spirit!"

Taking a few steps back, Skye cleared his thoughts and doubts and with a running start leapt off the cloud. For a moment he was simply free falling, but once he was ready he opened his wings and pulled up and suddenly the air lifted him effortlessly. The freedom that greeted him in the skies of Cloudsdale comforted him and washed aways any doubts and fears he had before. As his momentum began to slow, Skye started to flap his wings in the rhythms his mother taught him to help maintain flight. He was truly flying, not hovering, not gliding anymore, no pony was holding him steady. It was just him and the sky.

"I'm doing it mom! I'm flying!" Skye shouted at the top of his lungs as he beamed brightly with excitement.

Golden Harmony stopped her hooves in applause, "Good job! Now come back in for a landing!"

Very carefully, Skye angled his wings and turned around while keeping his speed at a modest pace. As he approached the cloud his mother was on, he stopped flapping his wings to glide safely as he landed. Once his hooves touched down on the cloud he rushed over to his mom and hugged her.

"See? As long as you trust your instincts and never let fear control you, anything is possible!" she said as she held him close.


Approaching quickly was Ponyville lit up with street lights and filled with ponies who were wrapping up their nights by buying dinner, commuting home, and other countless activities. Right as the thought of dinner entered his mind space, Skye's stomach rumbled and he decided he would stop by somewhere to grab a bite before hitting the hay. Very gradually, he slowed down to just above a brisk flying speed until he was above the town square. Skye landed in front of the town hall and took a moment to even out his breathing. He began scanning his surroundings to find a place to eat at and spotted a small little diner still open this late. Before approaching the diner, he inspected himself to make sure he wasn't still sparking with electricity or glowing then began to walk over there.

Inside was relatively quiet with the exception of a piano being played nearby and ponies chatting here and there. Skye walked over to a table and sat down. The calming atmosphere of the diner and Ponyville was something that he found himself more comfortable with than that of Cloudsdale's. Skye picked up the menu and started reading over the many delicious items presented to him. Garden salads, daisy and daffodil sandwiches, parmesan bread sticks, and many more mouth-watering selections made it difficult to decide.

"Welcome to Lavender and Sweet's Diner, my name is Midnight Lavender and I'll be your waitress for the evening." said a light purple unicorn mare with a dark navy blue mane and an apron on.

Skye set the menu down and smiled. "Thank you! All this food looks amazing but I can't seem to decide on what to get. What do you recommend?"

Midnight took a minute to think before responding. "I think the crisp cherry-blossom sandwich with a nice glass of lemon lime soda would be nice fit for ya! Would you like to order that?"

"That sounds delicious! I'll take it!" he replied.

After writing down his order, Midnight grabbed his menu. "Alrighty! We'll have that out and ready in just under ten minutes for ya!"

Skye thanked her as she walked away and wandered back into his own thoughts. He couldn't keep his mind off the events that transpired and kept replaying them in his mind hoping that he could gleam any more information from them. Out of all the things that could of resulted from almost being killed, instead of getting death he got the gift of superspeed. Curiously, he used his power to speed up his heart rate again and like before his surroundings slowed down.

'Interesting... I guess I can slow down my perception of time by speeding myself up.' Skye observed.

The scene in the diner consisted of mostly couples, families, and a few lone ponies catching themselves late dinners. The atmosphere was very calming with a warm orange lighting accompanied by the sights of ponies laughing, smiling, and just enjoying each other's company provided comfort. It was approaching Hearth's Warming after all.

Hearth's Warming. The holiday that Skye usually enjoyed with his family, but the past two years have been difficult due to every pony being busy with their jobs and lives. Despite usually being free after late nights at the bar, Skye's relatives were not and his friends circle was rather non-existent. Because of this, he spent the last two Hearth's Warmings alone at home reading novels he bought to keep himself somewhat entertained.

Skye sighed, 'I really need to make myself some friends.'

Suddenly, he began to feel really exhausted and drained. Looking around, Skye noticed things were still moving super slow. Within a couple of seconds he came to an obvious realization.

'Looks like this new power of mine does have its limits.' he thought to himself.

Letting his heart rate return to resting, everything began to move at normal speed again. Right on cue, Skye closed his eyes and let out a yawn. After opening his eyes, Midnight was there setting his food and drink on the table.

Midnight giggled, "It's only been less than ten minutes, yet you look much more exhausted then when I took your order!"

"It's been a long day." Skye laughed, "I think it's finally catching up to me!"

"Well here is your cherry-blossom sandwich and a lemon lime soda." Midnight pointed to the items on the table, "After you're done eating, just ring this bell here in the center of the table and I'll come pick up the payment so you can go home faster and catch up on some sleep. Sound good?"

Nodding, Skye replied. "Thank you."

"You're welcome. Enjoy the food!" she smiled as she went to go help other customers.

Letting his hunger take over, Skye grabbed the sandwich and took a bite of it. The perfect combination of herbs along with freshly grilled cherry blossoms and other vegetables on tasty home-made bread was absolute heaven for his tastebuds. It wasn't often that he ate out due to a tight budget, but considering the quality of this diner's food, he might become a regular. As he continued to eat, he listened to the pony playing a familiar tune on the piano nearby. Skye hummed along note-by-note and if it were not for the food taking up the space in his mouth, he would have sung along. A few minutes passed and Skye finished his sandwich as the piano player finished his song. Along with the rest of the customers, he applauded the player.

As the piano player stepped away, an idea popped into Skye's mind. He quickly rang the bell to get Midnight's attention. She walked over to him and placed down a receipt on to the table.

"Finished with everything?" she asked.

Skye scratched his head thought before replying, "Yes and no." He placed the needed amount of bits near the receipt before continuing, "Would it be alright for me to go over to that piano and perform a song before I go?"

Midnight looked surprised by the request, "You want to go play a song?"

He nodded, "Yup! Would that be okay with you?"

"I never have had a customer ask me that before, usually we just hire performers for the night." she replied, "But I don't see the harm in such a request, so go for it!"

"Awesome! Thank you!" Skye said as he left the table and made his way over to the piano.

Skye sat down on the stool in front of the luxurious grand piano. Looking over the keys and the glossy black finish of the instrument, he took a moment to come up with a song to sing. The song needed to fit his current mood which was calm and reflective. Another minute passed as he brainstormed and the customers began to notice the lack of music being played. Finally Skye's eyes lit up and he came up with the perfect song.

[Song: Athlete - Chances]

The resonance of each piano key blissfully warmed everypony's hearts as the sound filled the room. With a deep breath, Skye began to sing. The contrast between his voice and the piano's melody was an unusual mixture of melancholy and a relaxing calm, captivating all the listeners. As he entered the chorus, a small audience began gathering outside the windows to watch after hearing Skye sing from afar. Throughout the rest of the song, each lyric and note provided a different emotion to be felt. Slowly Skye winded down on the notes and brought the song to a soft ending.

A small moment of silence passed before applause filled the room. Skye nervously rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment. Honestly, he just wanted to play a song for fun not for attention really. Getting up from the piano, he stretched and walked over to Midnight.

“The food was wonderful and I’ll definitely be coming back sometime. Thank you.” Skye smiled.

Midnight gave a small chuckle, “I’m glad! And if you ever want to put on a little performance again, go right on ahead. Seems everypony loved the sound of your voice!”

Skye laughed, “I’ll keep that in mind! You have a good night.”

“A good night to you as well!” Midnight said with a smile as she walked away.

Walking out of the diner, the white pegasus was greeted by Luna’s vivid night sky. The moon’s white glow illuminated the sea of stars that filled the dark expanse. Skye stood frozen in mesmerization. He never took the time to appreciate the beauty of the night due to having always been indoors for the duration of it. However now that he was going to be living in Ponyville and would have more free time, he was going to make it a goal to enjoy the outdoors a little more.

Breathing in the cold air, Skye began the trek to his home.


Sitting on a sheet of land near the Everfree Forest was a medium-sized house surrounded by a few peach trees and a small wooden fence. It had been several years since Skye had been here. The last time, he had just turned 18 and was gathering his stuff to move to Cloudsdale. Even though it was only a few years ago, the many things that happened since made the time that passed feel like eternity.

Skye walked up onto the porch and flipped over the welcome mat to reveal a spare key.

‘I’m surprised no pony has discovered this and broken in!’ Skye thought to himself with an eye roll.

Quickly unlocking and opening the door, inside was dust covers on furniture and boxes from his apartment. Skye took off his saddlebag and walked over to the boxes. Attached to the topmost box was a stickie-note.

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Hey Skye,

Here’s all your stuff bro! Sorry I can’t help you unpack due to Wonderbolts stuff, but I’m sure some of the townsfolk and neighbors down there would love to help. Anyways I hope you’re okay and everything goes well! I’ll come visit sometime when I’m not busy.

Your brother,

Soarin

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

Skye smiled before yawing, ‘Unpacking can wait. I’m too exhausted to do anything now.’

Climbing up the stairs, he walked into his old bedroom that only contained a bed and a night stand. Skye got on the bed and made himself comfortable as sleep overtook him for the night.

Author's Note:

Hey everyone!

It’s been a long time since I updated. Life has definitely been giving me a hard time, but I’m still committed to this story and spent a lot of time polishing the initial version of this chapter. It’s certainly not perfect and feels a bit rushed here and there, but I’m happy with it and that’s all that matters. Anyways, I’m working on the next two chapters which will take place before and on Hearths Warming in the story’s timeline despite the holidays already passing in real life. I’m just playing catch-up right now honestly, but until then I hope you enjoy this chapter.

Stay classy!