• Published 3rd Nov 2016
  • 876 Views, 19 Comments

With Bursts of Speed! - Box of Imagination



A musician by day, a hero by night. Skye Swift uses his speed and skills to fight crime and protect Equestria from those who threaten it. However as time goes on, it starts to become increasingly difficult to balance his double life.

  • ...
0
 19
 876

Prologue: Memories

Ten years ago at the Cloudsdale Flight Academy...

“Come on Soarin! You can do this!”

Clouds in the shape of rings were placed in strategic points across the sky. Soarin stared at the rings trying to muster up some courage to go up and fly through them. The rings were a test to see if a pegasus could fly in a path with accuracy. However there was just one problem, Soarin had never been able to fly fully straight before. He had always managed to loose balance or focus when trying to maintain a path. He was scared that he was going fail in front of everybody. Namely his brother Skye Swift, who was cheering him on from the sidelines next to their classmates and teacher.

"I-I can't! I just can't!" Soarin yelled with his eyes closed, trying to hide his embarrassment.

Skye walked over to him, "Yes you can! We've practiced this."

He opened his eyes to look at his brother, "But what if I mess up and end up crashing?"

Skye wrapped a hoof around Soarin, "You won't. I'll catch you if you start to fall."

"Soarin if you would please just fly through the rings already! There are only 15 minutes of class left and we can't stall any longer." The teacher demanded.

"You can do this!" Skye whispered before he walked back over to the class.

With a deep breath, Soarin started to flap his wings. He looked up into the sky at the obstacles that lay before him, and after a few more seconds of hovering, he took off towards them. The first ring was coming up and on the way there he got a good look at it. The ring was tilted slightly to the left, meaning he would have to slow down a little and start turning early by balancing most of his weight to his left side.

"You're doing good bro! Two more rings!" Skye shouted with encouragement.

A smile started to grow on Soarin's face as he saw the second ring in the distance. The ring was below him and was leaning ever so slightly forward. He remembered the lessons on how to descend at an angle.

I can do this! I just got to tilt my wings down and lean forward...

Soarin felt a strong breeze blow through his mane as he flew through the ring and made his way to the next. The third and last ring was way up high and it faced downwards. He would need to fly at a higher speed and start ascending early if he were to make it through the final ring. Soarin took another deep breath and started to accelerate and push himself as fast as he safely could.

"Come on bro! You're so close!" Skye yelled.

Suddenly, Soarin shot up high above the ring and dove into it. The class roared with applause and Skye gave a wide smile to his brother. Soarin smiled and turned around to return to his classmates. Once he touched down, his brother came running up to him in excitement.

"You did it Soar, You passed the test! I'm proud of you bro!" Skye shouted before embracing his brother.

Soarin smiled as he returned the hug, "Couldn't have done it without you bro. After all you helped me practice until I got it right!"

"That's what brothers are for!" Skye smiled, "Besides, I'll do anything to help a future Wonderbolt."


Present day at Wonderbolts HQ

Spitfire touched down the field, "Nice practice today everypony! That's it for today, but I'll need you ready by six tomorrow for our pre-show practice in Ponyville!"

The rest of the team landed and began heading to the locker rooms. Soarin, however, took off his goggles and made his way over to Spitfire.

"Hey Cap!" he greeted

Spitfire smirked, "What do you need Soar?"

Soarin chuckled, "What? Am I not allowed to see how my boss is doing today?"

"Of course you are allowed to, but you only call me 'Cap' when you want something." Spitfire replied.

Soarin laughed and rubbed the back of his head, "I'm that obvious, huh?"

"Yup! So what is it?" Spitfire asked as she started to make her way towards the locker room.

Soarin followed closely behind, "Well two things actually. It's my brother's birthday today, and I was wondering if you could give me a VIP ticket to the Wonderbolts show tomorrow for his birthday present."

Spitfire stopped in front of the locker room and took off her goggles before looking at Soarin. "Sure. You're lucky though, because we only have two left."

"Thank you so much Spitz!" Soarin shouted.

"No problem. Now what's the second thing?" She asked.

Soarin smiled, "Fleetfoot, Rapidfire, Misty, and I are all going to Cloud 9 to visit my brother tonight. I thought I'd invite you, so would you like to come along?"

"Oh, I don't know... I was gonna go to the gym before I hit the sack tonight." Spitfire said she pushed a strand of hair off her face.

"Come on! It'll be fun! Besides you need a break from all that training you do all day and have some fun with friends." Soarin replied.

Spitfire sighed, she knew he was right. She always went to the gym after practice and worked herself to the bone. It would probably do her some good to take a small break for once and enjoy some relaxation time with her friends.

"Alright, but I don't want to be out too late. I at least want to get some sleep tonight."

Soarin pumped his hoof, "Yes! The more ponies, the more fun we'll have!"

Spitfire facehoofed. Why do I have a feeling I'm going to regret this?

Author's Note:

Hey there! So the purpose of this prologue was to basically introduce the strong brother relationship between Skye Swift and Soarin. It's going to play a key part throughout the story and development of other characters. This story will gradually introduce more OC's, but I'm going to try my hardest to balance the chemistry between cannon characters and OC's. Anyways, that's it for the Prologue! See you next chapter!