• Published 11th May 2012
  • 2,296 Views, 79 Comments

The Truth: An alternate-world 'Truth or Dare' tale - SFC Ponycron



Twilight's daughter comes home in tears, and asks about her father.

  • ...
3
 79
 2,296

Chapter Four: Revealing History

The Truth
Chapter Four


Crystal Prism opened the door to her bedroom in her and her mother’s cloud home just outside Ponyville.

“Come on, kiddo,” Rainbow Dash said, trying to sound lighthearted. “Time for bed.”

The young pegasus stopped at her bed and turned around. “Mom, you promised that you’d tell me about what happened to Dad.”

Rainbow recoiled slightly before closing her eyes and nodding. “You’re right. I did promise.” She walked up to her daughter. “Go on, get into bed and I’ll tell you.”

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“So what did happen to Pop?”

“Don’t get impatient, ya little whippersnapper,” Applejack replied with a slightly forced chuckle. “Now, ya remember that yer pop didn’t tell us ‘bout those letters or threats that the other ponies in town used ta send ‘im?”

Jonagold nodded. “Well, one of ‘em threatened ta git the Princesses involved...”

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“...The Princesses?” Rose asked. “But the Princesses like you, don’t they? Why did you not want them to know about Dad?”

Fluttershy stroked her daughter’s charcoal-black mane with a hoof. “Actually, the Princesses knew about your father and met with him personally. From what your father told us, Princess Celestia told him to be discreet, otherwise if other ponies knew and asked her to do something about it, her hooves would be tied.”

“What about Princess Luna?”

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“Your daddy told us that Princess Luna wasn’t too happy about it.”

“But Princess Luna likes you and Aunt Twilight and the others!” Silver Streamer said. “Princess Luna didn’t like Dad?”

Pinkie Pie shook her head. “Princess Luna thought that your daddy was crazy.”

“Like oatmeal?”

Pinkie smiled thinly. “No, my little Streamer, not as bad as oatmeal.” She looked away for a moment. “You know what your Auntie Twilight said earlier today about the feelings your daddy had for all of us?”

“Uh-huh.”

“Well, most ponies thought it was okey-dokey-lokey if your daddy only had feelings for one pony. But Daddy didn’t want to hurt any of our feelings because we all liked him, just like he liked all of us.”

Silver nodded in understanding. “So all of you would be happy, right?”

Pinkie nodded. “Mm-hmm!”

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“So then what happened?”

“Your father was content to keep it to himself. He just went about his business if he wasn’t looking after us,” Rarity replied. “I remember because he went to check on me one afternoon. You see, from what we were told, he received the threat to get the Princesses involved when we were already pregnant with you and your siblings.”

Jasper nodded. “So Dad didn’t think he would actually get in trouble?”

Rarity huffed. “I don’t know, my dear, but I honestly wouldn’t put it past him to think that way.”

“So then what happened?”

“Well, nothing really happened until the night you all were born...”

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“What happened?”

“The night you were born, he visited all of us,” Twilight replied. “Apparently, I was the last of us he visited. We gave you your name, and he gave me your music box.” She closed her eyes as tears started to well up in them.

“Mom...?”

Twilight shook her head. “No, it’s okay,” she said with a sniff. “Anyway, he told me that the music box was for you, and that it would only open when all six of you had your music boxes together and had the key.”

“Why didn’t Dad let you keep the key?”

“I don’t know. He never told me,” she replied. “Anyway, that night, he told me that somepony actually went through with that threat about getting the Princesses involved.”

Dawn’s eyes widened in shock. “But you said that Princess Celestia said that if somepony found out...”

Twilight nodded gravely. “It wasn’t during the day that your father was sent away, Dawn.” She nodded again as her daughter mentally put two and two together.

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“Oh no!” Rose cried out. “You said that Princess Luna didn’t like Daddy!”

Fluttershy nodded. “She came to Ponyville that night with her full Lunar Guard.”

Rose paled. “What happened, Mama...? Did they...?”

“Oh, no!” Fluttershy replied quickly. “No, they didn’t hurt your father, though they did surround the hospital with whoever brought it to the Princess’ attention.”

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“That must have been scary!”

Pinkie pressed her lips into a thin line. “He asked the doctors to make sure we were sleeping. I don’t think he wanted us to get scared because that would have made you scared, and then we’d all be scared, and then it would have been worse than oatmeal!”

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“So he got sent away by the Lunar Guard?”

Applejack shook her head. “Nope. From what we were told, there was a big witch-hunt type’a crowd goin’ on in Ponyville Square, complete with torches an’ pitchforks. The Lunar Guard just dragged ‘im there while Princess Luna called ‘im out on ‘is relationship with us.”

“So the whole town found out?”

Applejack nodded. “Yeah. The townsponies were not happy.”

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“What did Princess Luna do?”

“She asked if he wanted to deny the claim. We were told that he didn’t. With our secret out, he wasn’t going to deny it.”

“I guess the entire town didn’t like it?”

Rainbow Dash snorted. “The entire town was in an uproar! They wanted him banished from Equestria!”

Crystal gasped. “Is that what Princess Luna did?”

Ranbow Dash lowered her head. “No...”

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“The pony that threatened to tell Princess Luna suggested something worse.”

“What did the Princess do, Mama?”

*-----*-----*-----*-----*

“She banished him to the moon.”

Dawn sat up in bed in complete shock. She threw her covers aside and flew to the window. The moon was bright, whiter than fresh paper and larger than a dinner plate.

“Is it true, Mom? Dad’s been on the moon for six years?”

Twilight nodded as she approached her daughter. “Every night for six years whenever the moon is full, I look up hoping that your father would be looking down at us.” Twilight nudged her daughter with a hoof. “Come on, Dawn, let’s get you to bed.”

Dawn looked up at her mother, a pained expression on her face and tears streaming down her cheeks. She looked back to the moon.

“Dawn...”

“I know, Mom,” Dawn said. She closed her eyes. “Good night, Dad,” she said in a low voice.

Good night, Daddy!

The distant voice shattering the tranquility of the night brought Ruby Dawn from her thoughts.

“That must have been Silver Streamer,” Dawn said with a smile.

Twilight nodded with a small laugh and a shake of her head. “That’s Pinkie’s son.” She turned back to her daughter. “Come on, Dawn, into bed.”

This time Dawn didn’t fight, but instead got into bed as Twilight used her magic to tuck her daughter in.

“Try to get some sleep,” she whispered. Dawn nodded and closed her eyes, turning away from her mother. The lavender unicorn walked back to the window and stared out at the moon.

“Good night, Zircon,” she whispered.


I'll admit, I've got mixed feelings about how this chapter turned out. I wanted to have a sort-of synchronized feel, like in television where several people are telling the exact same story at the exact same time and it cuts from one character to the other. I don't think I pulled it off very well, and I might edit it if I get a better idea on how to write this chapter out. I'm sure y'all have been wondering what exactly happened to our main character, so here we are. As always, concrit (constructive criticism) is always appreciated.