• Published 22nd Mar 2015
  • 738 Views, 26 Comments

Kindness and Cruelty Book 1 - VGI



Fluttershy loves all kinds of creatures, and many take her for granted. But this creature, this being...is something she's not prepared for. Regardless, she treats him with kindness...was it a mistake? -story inspired by the PC game, "The Cat Lady"

  • ...
3
 26
 738

Prelude – Things are not what they seem.

Kindness and Cruelty
by VGI

edited by Tetrominon
proof / pre-read by Danthebronyman (Prelude to Chapter 6)

Prelude – Things are not what they seem.It was a beautiful evening. The crisp night air filled the forest. Despite the tall trees, one can look up and see the stars in the sky. Thin clouds floated lazily by, lit by the beautiful lights of the night. The rustling of the leaves in the gentle breeze, and the sound of water flowing from a nearby river, only added to the serenity.



“What a lovely night, is it not, my dear, kind Fluttershy?” asked the creature as he looked at the stars. He had a white Venetian mask for a face, a lion's body, and a great eagle's wings. He breathed in the cool, fresh air, and sighed, then swooped down and gently landed with his hind legs on a forest path, careful not to jar the sweetest, kindest, most fragile and graceful mare in all of Equestria as she lay in his arms. The cool, night air outside contrasted well the warm, intimate feelings he had developed for her.



Fluttershy did not answer. She just lay there, in his strong, furry-soft lion-arms, her face against his strong fuzzy chestful of lion's hair. For some reason, she could not move. Was it because his arms were warm and cozy, yet so masculine and powerful? Was it the creature’s kind demeanor putting her at ease? Perhaps, with her love of creatures great and small, she simply found his mixture of different animal traits to be exotic. Whatever the reason, on this particular night she found herself powerless, lying in his arms as if she had been bound there.



The creature, a sphinx, stood up and started walking upright on his hind legs the rest of the way. He was bringing her to this “special place.” He stopped, with Fluttershy in his arms, and stood next to a tree near the river.



Fluttershy looked around and wondered, where are her critters? He said earlier today that he had brought them here in advance.



“Are you comfortable, my dear? I want you to have a good view.” He set her down gently on the ground and caressed her mane. She could not speak, could not answer, not even a squeak. She looked at him with pleading eyes and muffled moans.



“Now now, hush, my kind, graceful mare,” he said comfortingly as he sat her up, with her back against the tree so she could have a good view of the river.



At that moment, he was facing her with one knee to the ground. Fluttershy looked at him, at those...empty eye holes. She could not see his eyes behind the ethereal Venetian mask. She never could. They were just...black. Or more appropriately – empty.



How did this happen? How could she have fallen for him? Things were not as they seemed. And it seems things were about to become...true.



She remembered how it all started...