• Published 18th Mar 2015
  • 544 Views, 2 Comments

The Last Agate - Bluetree650



Equestria barely survived the black plague by Celestia's desperate action. Instilling a dark curse on a filly and her linage, she saved her children, but the truth comes back to bite her. What will the curse do to the last filly in the Agate family?

  • ...
2
 2
 544

Chapter 3

1


Twilight woke in the early hours. Quietly, she got out of bed, careful not to disturb her bedmate. A morning chill gripped at the nape of her neck like a wet nap, and she saw the small rivulets on the window and heard the gentle pitter patter on the roof

No wonder I slept so soundly, Twilight thought as she climbed the stairs. She wanted to clean the bed sheets before Crystal woke, that way she didn’t have to add embarrassment to her, no doubt, laundry list of confusing emotions.

When she finished she headed to the second floor in search for anything associated with mind melding. Even though Celestia went over it with her, she knew things were left out, very important things.

The first place she headed was her deck behind three large and full bookcases. There she hoped to grab her notebook and one of the quills she hid away. Instead she found a thick tomb sitting atop her notes. On top was a note written in Celestia’s pristine hoofwriting.

Dear Twilight

If you are reading this I assume you were looking for more information on the mind meld spell. I know you too well, don’t I? Well, there is no information on the dark magic in your library, and I know you’ll just pester me endlessly until I gave up. You’ve done it plenty of times before. I have decided to cut to the chase and give you the book I used two hundred years ago.

Have a good read, and don’t tell anypony about this.

Your Friend, Princess Celestia.

.P.S. There’s some PennyWise in the kitchen. It’s for Crystal. Make sure she gets it.

Twilight looked at the letter, her fur standing on end just thinking about what kind of knowledge awaited her. She took a second to try and wrap her mind around Celestia’s decision though.

Why would she just give her a book on dark magic? No promise needing to be made, no begging, “hey, I don’t pester you, Celestia,” she whispered, glowering at the note. She set it aside and thought some more, then came up with an idea.

Instead of reading about dark magic, why not look at it?

If Crystal was a unicorn, she would have learned about the magic scan. It’s tough to learn, but well worth the time. It can tell if anything is wrong with a pony’s magic levels. Scientists have made a connection between magic levels and your health, a lot is good, little is bad. This is supposedly true for alicorns as well, but there is no concrete evidence due to there being only two alicorns in the entirety of Equestria. No chance to get a real sample.That and the princess refused to put either herself or her niece through it. Even though it’s not invasive in the slightest.

What happens is the unicorn would send out her magic in pulses, like a bat using echolocation, and, with her eyes closed and a lot of training, she could get an image of the magic concentrations. They come in the form of little blue pixels. Doctors call these Highlanders, after Joey Highlander, the stallion that discovered them.

In general, the highlanders are spread differently depending on the pony race. In earth ponies, the highlanders would be in the hooves. In pegasi the highlanders would be in the wings, and, again, bias or not, in unicorns, who have the most highlanders, they reside in the entire nervous system, collecting in the horn like blood in the heart.

Through the magic scan, it was found that pegasi didn’t have any highlanders in their hooves for cloudwalking, which lead to the cloudwalker spell. But has any research been done on dark magic?

The thought enticed Twilight way more, and she got up. Slowly heading downstairs, she smiled. This could be the first time in recorded history that dark magic was actually viewed! A tingle went up her spine as she landed on the floor below.

Slowly she walked towards the sleeping lump on her bed, noticing just how small it looked. Crouching down, Twilight watched the tiny rise and fall of her chest. Is this right? She briefly thought. Yes, for science. And there’s no way she’d know.

Decision made, Twilight steeled herself. She lit her horn.

She had only just learned how to do the spell, and could only successfully perform it when the other pony is sleeping. That way the highlanders were still and the image like a clear calm lake.

Twilight closed her eyes and sent out a pulse of her magic.

What came back was nothing like she expected.

Normal highlander formations were little clumps in the specified areas, but Crystal’s came in in waves. yes, there was blue in her hooves, but it’s not supposed to shake, not in a sleeping pony.

More pulses, clearer image.

What was thought to be blackness without magic, was actually dark magic. A lot of dark magic. Like buzzing gnats, Crystal’s highlanders seemed to swarm her entire body. They moved like gas particles, high energy, bouncing off the walls, seeming to attack Crystal herself.

More pulses, clearer image.

Twilight looked up towards Crystal’s brain, where most of the highlanders would collect in a unicorn, and what looked like a black tumor hung there. An octopus head, low and lanky. Cancerous, it seemed to spread– thrum, hanging off the brain stem.

More pulses, clearer image.

Twilight saw some color. It was three little highlanders almost attaching themselves to the tumor like stickers in a bowl of tar, sinking and surfacing over the blackness. Two were white, and one, was purple.

Twilight backed out, shaking. She shuddered, pulling her hooves through her fur for bugs almost instinctively, and fell to her bottom with a slight yelp.

Not normal, she thought, unable to get that creepy crawly feeling off her skin. Not normal, not normal.

She’s normal. Just a little filly sleeping in her bed.

Twilight watched the tiny rise and fall of her chest and sighed, heavily. “If Celestia hadn’t warned me, I might have…” attacked her, her mind finished. Again she shuddered and moved closer.

Despite what was going on inside her tiny body, Crystal looked so peaceful, her muscles relaxed, exposing little mats in her white fur. Her mane had some tangles and split ends, like no one brushed her in years. What concerned Twilight was that most fillies learn to brush themselves at five. Did her mother not even bother teaching her? In her mind she saw a young crystal crying in a big lonely house, her fur so matted it hurt to move, flinching at every creak as her childish imagination took over. In that moment, Twilight hated Crystal’s mother.

For now she had to get something to eat and talk to Celestia about those colorful highlanders. They have meaning, she thought, silently closing the door.

2


Celestia, having just raised the sun, sat in the mess hall. Her table was raised to show she was above the others. A simple sign of control over ponies, and as Celestia crunched into a wheat bagel with cream cheese, rain roared outside.

The storm had worsened over the early hours and wasn’t supposed to abate until late afternoon. Celestia was thankful. She had a nightmare last night, one with a particular hazel filly and a detrimental snap followed by said filly falling to the ground, dead, and the clouds hid the bags under her eyes. It had been a full decade since she last had this nightmare, back when she went through this whole charade with Cross.

Time heals all wounds, what nonsense, Celestia thought, rubbing her temples. She didn’t take too long. No point in making her subjects worry.

She’s the last one. A new voice, one with a dark malice that felt strangely comforting.

But she might kill herself… I don’t want to deal with another one.

You’ll have to deal with it anyway. When she dies, you know what happens. Just one and done.

Celestia sighed, taking the last bite of her bagel before asking for another.

So I should tell her everything? You know what happened last time I tried.

Do you trust your student?

Of course, she’ll get the job done.

Then what’s to worry?

The second bagel came, and Celestia gave her thanks.

I… don’t know, the voice was winning her over, it seemed easier to give Twilight responsibility over this, but…

You know you want to.

She did, Celestia wanted to get it over with badly. One and done, right?

3


After going through her morning routine, Twilight headed down to the mess hall. She walked along the hallways, feeling the cool breeze as rain pelted her recently brushed fur. It was a cold morning and she briefly thought about heading back and tossing a second blanket on Crystal.

“No, she’s fine, Twilight, just focus on getting food,” she said, picking up the pace. A roll of thunder echoed across the sky.

Pushing the door to the mess hall open, Twilight saw Celestia biting down on her third bagel with cream cheese. She licked her lips, as if tasting the bagel itself. Twilight inclined to have half a bagel with her usual four stack of pancakes, bringing the same to Crystal afterwards.

Twilight passed through the multitude of round tables, most holding workers and maids. The guards ate in their barracks and the nobles, well most of them, called room service. Everypony she passed knew her as Celestia’s student and nothing more, but they greeted her with a nod or a good morning either way.

When she was close enough, Celestia turned her head. “Good morning, Twilight,” she said with a smile that betrayed her nerves, “I take it you slept well?”

“Yes,”Twilight silently sat down in one of the mahogany chairs, and looked at Celestia. It felt like forever since she saw her dressed, and she bet her garbs weighed a bit more today. “I didn’t read the book, I…” she was cut off by luke warm tea blowing across her face.

“What!” Celestia blinked, eyes staring in her direction.

Twilight blinked as drops of tea, lemon tea if the sting in her eye said anything, slithered down her cheeks. “I didn’t read the book yet,” she said, malice and disgust barely hidden, “is that such an incredible fact that you had to do a spit take?”

Briefly Celestia smiled, and Twilight was about to scream when she said, “Sorry,” she levitated a napkin and wiped the tea off her student’s face.

“I’m not five you know,” Twilight said, taking the napkin in her own magic, “and I just washed my face, too”

“Sorry, geeze,” Celestia puckered her lips and… pouted, “It’s not like I raised you as my own for six years.”

Yes, Celesia had raised her, kind of took her away from two very loving parents, but even they couldn’t say no to the princess, yet, not once had she used it against her. And she wasn’t trying to justify an action like last time, this was a direct attack. Celestia attacked her student.

Jaws dropped in the audience.

“Okay, what’s wrong?” said Twilight, who gave her mentor a deadpanned look.

“Get your food first, we’ll talk in my room.” Celestia rubbed the tip of her wing against Twilight’s muzzle, her composure rubberbanding back into place faster than she ever remembered. “Is Crystal asleep?”

Twilight nodded, then hailed a waitress.

4


Celestia’s room was cleaner this time, her bed being made and chimney swept, but there were books strewn about on the red carpet, even on top of her four poster bed.

Twilight rested on her purple mat, magicking the stack of four pancakes with whip cream and chocolate chips to her side. She grabbed the bagel with a generous amount of cream cheese and chomped down.

“So you didn’t read the book” Celestia said, flopping onto her bed and rubbing her eyes with her shoeless hooves. “but I know you, Twilight, you did something.”

Twilight swallowed, “Yes, I did a magic scan.”

“And?”

Twilight shuddered, then cocked her head. “It... looked like a mix between living tar and an octopus, to put it one way.”

“Was there anything significant about it? Any colored highlanders?” Celestia forcefully kept her voice still. Her nerves really were getting the better of her.

“Yes!” Twilight shouted, “there were two white ones and a purple one near her brain. Do they mean anything?”

Celestia sighed loudly. She fell limp and looked at Twilight with half lidded eyes. Twilight only continued on her bagel, enjoying the creamy taste on her tongue.

“You have no idea how relieved I am.”

“Why? Do they mean something?”

“Really, Twilight? I thought you of all ponies would figure it out,” Celestia flopped up and looked at her student.

“Uhh,” Twilight scratched her head, “I don’t know?”

“The white highlanders represent me and her mother, and the purple one represents you. Twilight, Crystal has accepted you as a sister.” Briefly, Celestia dappled with the idea of increasing Twilight’s allowance, but decided to wait until this whole fiasco was over.

“What? But I haven’t done anything, really.” Twilight set the half eaten bagel back onto her plate and wiped her mouth. “Well, I did let her sleep in my bed with me, but she had a nightmare! What was I supposed to do? Let her wallow in urine stained sheets?” She stuck half a bagel in her mouth, mumbling something before slamming her face into the pillow.

“Ouch, she wet the bed? That’s got to sting, make sure you don’t talk about it, just pretend you never noticed.”

Twilight shot up, nearly choking. She groaned and moaned before swallowing. “Ow, of course! I’d never speak something personal like that!”

“I know, I know, let’s set that aside,” Celestia said, passing a glass of water. “the fact that you comforted her after the nightmare seemed to be enough to make you her second sister.”

“I guess, sure,” Twilight felt a tickle of excitement. A sister? “is that what was worrying you? Whether I became Crystal's sister or not?”

“Partly,” Celestia tensed again. She crouched down to Twilight’s eye level and gave her the serious, no back talk, look. “I’ve been thinking.”

“And?”

“I’m going to tell her everything, Twilight. The curse, the plague, everything.”

Now Twilight did a spit take, covering Celestia’s face with water. “What!”

“Listen, before you say anything, know that she’s the last in the Agate line. When she dies this whole thing will be lifted from my conscious.”

“And if she has children?”

“I’ll kill them.”

Thunder rolled outside and rain splashed against the windows. Twilight shuddered as a deadly silence fell over the room like a snowfall of asbestos. Twilight didn’t say anything… couldn’t. To put it simply, her mentor threatened murder on someone’s children. Ponies get locked in the slammer for a long time over that.

“Wh… what?” Twilight wanted to slap her, bite her, do something, but her hooves felt like they were filled with lead.

They stared at each other, mentor to student, mother to daughter, but only one held scars. Twilight saw the tears falling down Celestia’s cheeks.

“Why are you crying?” Not the heartless murder Twilight briefly thought of.

“Twilight,” Celestia sighed, regaining a little of her composure. She put up the sound proof spell. “Do you know what it’s like to kill your only child?”

For the third time in ten minutes, Twilight was at a loss for words. She shuffled nervously, unable to look into Celestia’s eyes anymore.

“I get flashbacks, Twilight, nightmares of the dark ages. particularly the Black Plague.”

“You shouldn’t say those things Princess.” Twilight sounded like a record player after the thirteenth time going over the same five notes. The point where your words don’t sound like words anymore.

Celestia pulled away, “I know, my faithful student, and I do not wish to say them, but everytime I see... an Agate, wait let me back up.” Twilight looked up.

Celestia told Twilight about Hazel Eyes, how she brightened every day for those suffering from the plague, how even after both hearing and seeing ponies throw up their organs, still kept those bright hazel eyes pointed towards the skies, knowing that someone would find an answer.

Twilight listened with rapt attention as Celestia talked about Hazel getting under her skin. How she broke down the walls she’d built up through the countless deaths of her subjects, and family, and how she wormed her way into becoming a sort of adopted daughter. The day when Hazel rushed to her adopted mother’s side, begging for the one thing no mother should do.

“Everytime I see and Agate, I hear that snap…” Celestia said, her composure long forgotten, she cried openly. “I tried to bare it, to hold my own for their sake, but my defenses failed forty years ago, Twilight. I… I can’t take it anymore. Everytime… I hear her neck snap, feel my hooves twisting and turning. I killed her, and I want to move on, but I can’t! Not with the Agates around.”

Twilight listened. She mulled over everything. While Celestia cried, Twilight thought. Twilight came to a decision.

“At first I couldn’t understand why you would let Crystal’s mother get away with blatant child neglect,” anger was plentiful in her voice as she glared at Celestia, “but now I understand. Looking at Crystal, or her mother, reminds you of what you had to do back then.” She picked Celestia’s head up and looked in her eyes. “But that does not give you the right to kill her children. If I hear anything about it.... I will protect Crystal and her children, so if you want to kill them you’ll have to go through me.” She let Celestia drop, enjoying how she winced, and turned to her pancakes.

With that declaration, another piece of Celestia’s plan clicked into place.

Celestia had always been right. Everytime Twilight had done something wrong, either a bad answer or a broken vase, she was right. Even when they got into arguments over logic or spells, Celestia won not because she had power, but because she was right, now, she didn’t. Twilight wanted to stop chewing and look at her mentor, but her message would be for naught if she did.

“You’re wrong,” Celestia muttered, barely able to control her emotions.

“I’m sorry?”

“You can protect Crystal, easy, she’s already received my kiss.”

A bead of doubt, like a ball bearing, dropped to the pit of Twilight stomach, and she set her pancakes down. “Your... kiss?”

Celestia stood up to her full height, and for a moment Twilight quivered. “I inject the mind meld through a kiss to the forehead. It was the only thing I could think of that would keep suspicion at a minimum, but thirty years ago, when I decided that the world did not need the Agate curse anymore, I refused to show up at the births.” Twilight shivered. “Agates that don’t receive the mind meld kiss, die two days later.” Suddenly Twilight wanted to run to her room, make sure Crystal was okay. “Lets just say the five branches of the Agate family shrunk to the one we have today.“

“My… word.”

Celestia soften. She knelt down and put a comforting hoof on Twilight’s shoulder. “You can protect Crystal, I want you to protect her, but you can’t protect her children.”

“C-Could she adopt?” Twilight muttered, surprised to hear her own voice. Despite the hoof, she still shook.

“Of course, I’ll even pay for all necessary expenses.”

Twilight smiled a little, but then stared into the floor, remembering what started all this. “Are you still going to tell her, about everything?”

“Not immediately, hell, if I could, I’d keep it a secret forever, but eventually, when she can’t have kids, she’ll want to know.”

“Then let her grow up!” Twilight shouted, desperate. “She’ll be stronger than.”

Celestia just shook her head. “I’m sorry, but I tried that twenty years ago, Twilight, and that Agate killed herself. I don’t know why, but an Agate is strongest after surviving a tragedy. Trust me.”

5


Walking up spiraling stairs, Twilight noted that throughout her conversation with Celestia, she never thought about asking why she had to be Crystal’s sister, but now, she had her answer. No one chose her, she chose herself. Celestia just set it up so Crystal would lean on her.

She had gone back to the mess hall and got another stack of pancakes with whipped cream, chocolate chips, even a cherry on top.

Opening the door to the highest tower in Canterlot Castle, Twilight set the bagel with cream cheese aside and was about to call out when she saw her quarry silently reading on her made bed.

Crystal jumped when the door closed, hiccuping and letting out a yelp at the same time. She dropped the book and quivered.

Twilight looked at the filly curled in a ball. She’s stronger, sure Celestia, if I drop a feather on her back she’ll hit the fan. “Crystal,” she said in a soft voice.

Slowly, Crystal raised her head. When her blue eyes spotted purple, she leapt out and ran. Twilight watched her, then tensed when a white head rubbed against her ankles, tickling one of her sensitive spots. Straining, she could hear a sound comparable to a cat’s purr escape the filly’s lips.

“You’re important.” Crystal’s voice sounded brittle, “you’re important,” but turned out to be tremulous. Twilight blinked before looking down. Crystal bobbed and weaved through her front legs. Twilight grunted. trying to stand upright.

Don’t go to her, Twilight, Celestia’s voice rang out, Let her decide when to get comfort. For now, just stay by her side. Twilight isn’t one to disobey orders, so she just watched as Crystal noticed the pancakes. She squirmed out and looked at the stack like one might an alien. She looked up at Twilight, then smiled. “You’re important.”

Twilight crouched down, then rested on her knees. Crystal seemed to beam. Briefly she wondered how Crystal could eat pancakes without a fork.

Think, Twilight, she’s a filly, she’ll just eat with her face. Isn’t that what you did at her age? It made sense, but as she relaxed, the image of Crystal looking at a plate of pancakes disappeared. Suddenly an intense pressure appeared near her spine, and Twilight felt a weight on her entire back. She yelped.

“Too much?” Crystal’s voice appeared from behind.

Twilight turned and saw just that. Crystal lying on her back, front hooves pressed deep into Twilight’s shoulders. “Wh-What are you doing?” She had to note the wobble in her voice.

“I’m giving you a massage,”

“Y-You can do that?”

“Of course! My big sister taught me…” Crystal trailed off eyes looking down. She whimpered.

“Are you okay?”

Immediately she perked up. “Yes! Now relax and let me do my work.”

Twilight thought, then did just that, resting her head on her hooves. The deep pressure appeared again, and this time it felt good. Her mind began to blur. She was able to ask one thing before it went blank. “Why?” Her answer came in those same two words.

“You’re important.”

6


Sitting in her now empty room, Celestia decided to put the last part of her plan into effect.

From the beginning, when she planted that fateful kiss on Crystal’s forehead, she knew exactly what her special talent was. It wasn’t surgery like her mother’s or the food pyramid like her grandmother. Crystal’s special talent was something that overstepped the bounds of medicine, yet, keeping within them at the same time.

As the rain and thunder boomed, Celestia pulled out two sheets of paper, grabbed quill and ink and sat at her desk.

She titled the first: Dear Octavia.

7


One second she was a cat, pawing for attention, and the next she was giving her a massage (delectably good as it may be) then making her bed, picking up all of the dropped books, without asking mind you, but the weirdest thing was how she talked! After dropping the constant “You’re important”’s, which Twilight learned was another form of “I love you” as if any filly would be afraid to say how she felt, there was a constant assault of health information. Diet, exercise plan, she even asked about her family history! And Twilight couldn’t peg her as anything other than an adult trapped inside a filly’s body.

“You should eat,” Twilight said, sitting on her bed as Crystal scoured the first floor books. Again, she ignored her, focusing on the first row of books like a kid in a candy shop. At least she has a lot of energy like a filly, she thought, maybe Celestia was right about her being stronger?

Finally, after ten minutes of frantically searching the shelves, Crystal climbed onto the bed and rested her head on Twilight’s stomach, pushing the book in her face. “Could you please read this to me?”

Manners… what filly her age has manners? Twilight didn't have too much experience in this department, but there probably was one or two out there. She is six after all. “Only if you eat your pancakes.”

“Is that what that is?” Crystal blanked, staring at the stack that lay on the floor. “I’ve heard of them. They’re wheat patties that you pile all sorts of sugary confections on, like berries and syrup, right?”

“Yes?” Twilight gave a weary eye to the filly.

“Never had them.”

“But you want me to read to you, right?”

“Yes!”

Twilight levitated the plate onto the bed. “Well, then here’s your chance to give them a try.”

“But don’t you eat them with silverware? And what’s with all the pillows stapled to the walls? And why is the ladder for the higher shelves gone?”

Twilight sighed. “You don’t get out much, do you?”

“What? Is this some kind of ritual? Do I have to bounce against each wall to earn your affection?”

“No, it’s for your protection, Celestia thinks…” Twilight watched Crystal shake violently, her breath hitched and… were those tears? “She thinks you’ll hurt yourself.”

Suddenly, Crystal jumped up, almost knocking the pancakes off the bed. “Of course I won’t hurt myself… you’re important.” She took the book, a flash of the cover revealed the word parasite, and read, hiccups breaking through.

“Are you alright?” Twilight put a hoof on Crystal’s back.

“I’m… fine!” Crystal shouted, pushing the hoof off.

You might have to force her, Celestia’s voice suddenly came up in Twilight’s mind. She’s prideful and unless you force her to release her emotions, they will build up and consume her.

Twilight wrapped her hoof around the small filly, and again met resistance, but this time she was ready. “Are you alright?”

“I’m fine!” Crystal shouted, dropping the book. “Let go!” She reared one of her hooves to strike, and Twilight flinched when she saw a dark glow form around it.

Twilight remembered how Crystal snapped the nine inch nails in the throne room. That kind of strength would shatter her body.

The hoof raced towards her chest… then stopped. A loud clap of thunder roared across the sky, but the lightning was distant. The storm was leaving them. She couldn't figure if it was the storm or something else, but in that moment the dark glow faded. Crystal collapsed into tears.

“I guess you weren’t okay,” Twilight said, chuckling a little.

She sat there, reading the book Crystal picked, Intestinal Parasites, was the title, stroking Crystal as she cried. No words of comfort, just her presence, just like Celestia.

8


As Twilight started brushing Crystal’s fur, learning some rather tragic facts about her childhood – most of which Twilight planned to rectify that day – Octavia Philharmonica arrived home from a long day with her mare friend.

While she was of noble blood, (the richest family in Canterlot to be specific) Octavia lived in a meager apartment. It was cramped but cozy, carpeted floors, one bedroom, just enough space to practice, and as she noticed the sweat in her brown coat, one full bathroom.

If you knew Octavia and her mare friend, you’d know that the phrase opposites attract fit them to a tee. Octavia plays the cello, classical music, while her mare friend plays the turn table. Octavia hates drinking more than a few shots, if that, but her mare friend gets drunk at least once a week, and their manes couldn’t be more different. Electric blue to dark brown.

Octavia wiped some of the steam from the small mirror. She saw her brilliant opal eyes, one of the many things her mare friend consistently adored, and briefly saw them turn red, her coat go snow white.

For a flash, she saw Vinyl Scratch, and smiled.

Octavia did a lot for Vinyl, get kicked out of the luxurious mansion she once called home for one. Her parents loved her, but not reacting to the fact that your daughter is a filly fooler would mean death to their title, so they kicked her out and tore her from the will.

Even so, they still sent her a small allowance every now and again, a hundred bits here, two there, and she thanked them. She would send front row tickets to everyone of her concerts and invite them to dinner, on her dime, every other week. Little things.

So when she spotted the, rather full, bit bag and rolled letter, that’s who she thought about. Oh the surprise when she saw the royal seal instead.

Octavia dropped her towel, mouth dropping. She ripped the red wax and unfurled the scroll.

Dear Octavia Philharmonica.

A problem has come up, and I require your assistance post haste.

I can not say much, incase this letter is intercepted, so meet me at La Tache at 2PM.

I pray you go early, right after the storm passes. you will meet your partner.

In the bag are a hundred bits, use them to buy some food, to catch up with a long lost friend.

Princess Celestia

.P.S If you have any leftover money, keep it.

Octavia dropped the letter. She tore open the bag and counted the bits just to keep from screaming. Princess Celestia wanted her to do something… for her! A secret mission of sorts. Those never really interested her, but… but… Princess Celestia!

She failed and screamed at the top of her lungs, bouncing around like a little filly with coffee injected straight into her veins. “The princess needs me!” She pressed a hoof to her chest, desperate to suppress her emotions before she freaks out her neighbors. She couldn’t suppress the giant smile, even after an ice cold glass of water, but as she reread the letter it did disappear.

“A partner? Long lost friend?”

Octavia tried to think back, but no one came up. As she had grown up, she’d never really made that many friends, maybe two, Vinyl being one, and the other moving off to Ponyville after college. Sighing, she set the letter aside and moved to her room.

There she’d practice to the beat of the rain. And when that beat died she’d move out to La Tache. She’d meet her long lost friend soon enough, but she couldn’t lose her cool anymore. Music helps with that.

8


In a candle lit room deep in the bowels of Canterlot Castle, two ponies discussed. Rain had ceased two hours ago, and Hendricks Needle had seen something that peaked his interest.

“A filly?” A noble by the name of Phil Philton, dressed in dapper from head to hoof. “What are you talking about?”

Hendricks twitched, his skin twitched with it. “I know that that filly is the daughter of Sterile Agate, the famed Crystal Agate, lone survivor in the family.”

“And? What of it?” Philip took a sip of his champaign, “she’s the daughter of the head surgeon?”

It had been his dream, thirty years in the making, Hendricks dreamed of running that hospital, and he still does. The dream has pushed him so far, carried him over tragedies, and bringing him to where he was today.

“I am the head surgeon of Canterlot Castle, but that’s not where I want to be… no, I want to run Canterlot Hospital.”

“But wouldn’t that be a step down?” Philip leaned back in his chair, stretching.

“You just don’t get it, the castle is not the place to get famous. Here I heal fat cats, no offense-”

“None taken, I find the term amusing”

Hendricks took a sip of his coffee, hooves shaking, how he wished he could see Phillip’s face. “Okay, but no one likes fat cats so I don’t get any publicity.”

“Nonsense, everytime something happens to any noble, it’s noteworthy.”

Briefly he wanted to smack the stallion besides him. A part of him wanting the hospital is so he wouldn’t have to deal with stuck up nobles. “Yes, but no one cares. Everyone’s into the local crowd, the ones down to earth, not you.”

Phillip pulled at the neck of his wool sweatshirt. “Well, I’ll be, tell me Hendricks, how do you plan to get this position?”

“Easy, we kill the filly.”

Phillip didn’t gasp or drop his jaw, he just sat up, stuck his nose to the sky, closed his book and left.

“Wait-”

“No you listen to me,” Phillip shouted, “while I do enjoy good political background noise, murder is off the table, and filly murder is deep in space, good day”

9


Octavia sat under a shady umbrella outside of La Tache, anxiously waiting for her ‘long lost friend’. She had a half eaten caesar salad in front of her, cheap and well worth the price, and couldn’t wait to finally get that second bow.

It was another thirty minutes before the one pony Octavia never wanted to ever see again bounced up to the table. Three feet of pure mint fur and twice the sugar running through her veins, Lyra Heartstrings was a menace for the nerves.

“Hi Octavia!” Lyra chirped, sitting down and hailing a waiter, “I just got a letter from Pr-” she mouthed wordlessly, rubbing Octavia’s hoof with her tongue until she cringed.

“Ew, Lyra,” Octavia shook her hoof. She had to think of something, anything to keep the princess’s name from coming out. “You should know better than shouting Sunny’s nickname out in the open. Prissy Sissy really doesn’t suit her,” she glared at her counterpart, hoping to the horses above she’d get the point for once. “She wouldn’t want it spreading around.” Octavia stared at Lyra, hoof shaking, wishing to knock that horn into her skull. So far no one suspected anything, but she couldn’t take any chances. “Lyra, come here.”

“Sure!,” she bounded over and pressed her ear close, “Bon Bon tries to get me to keep secrets, but I always spill the beans to the next pony I see. I’ve gotten better, but I don’t think Bonny will ever trust me again after I told her mother what she want’s to do with…”

“I’d rather not know,” Octavia stiffened, Lyra was bouncing on Octavia’s tail, and she had to hold her down. She leaned in close before the unicorn could speak anymore, “you’re not supposed to say Princess Celestia is coming, out in the open like this. You know what happens to celebrities in public.”

Suddenly Lyra grew lax, “Oh,” Lyra groaned, rubbing her temples, “I should have known, but with that mare.”

Octavia marveled for a moment. Back in high school, Lyra was called Loose Lips for a reason. Either she finally matured, or this Bon Bon was some kind of gem.

“I know, but don’t say his name, Sunny doesn’t want anyone to know yet.”

“Got it!” Lyra brightened as the trouble passed like a distant storm cloud. “Hey, have you tried the hay burger?”

Lyra shuffled awkwardly back to her seat and started to talk like nothing happened. Ponies went back to the business of their food, and the two actually had a nice conversation on the numerous ways to cook hay, Octavia enjoying Lyra’s company for once, and eventually she broke out her trademark. A lyre.

More importantly, Octavia could only stare as Lyra stuck some kind of metal contraption on her hoof. It was like a dragon’s claw with jointed digits, but there were five, not four. A yellow wire connecting the first digit to the red base. Lyra lit her horn and it glowed green. Then music.

Back in high school, Lyra was good at her talent, but the graceful notes floating across the group of shaded umbrellas were completely different. She was on a whole new level now. Octavia couldn’t help admire the mare she hated.

Ponies going by actually threw her some bits, and Octavia could tell that they weren’t what she called pity bits, but the ones you use to tip your waiter. Lyra was getting money for doing what she loved… why hadn’t she thought of this?

Twenty minutes, and twenty-three bits, later, a bright flash came from the center of the courtyard. Wiping her eyes, Octavia saw a white unicorn mare, head held high, looking at her with plum eyes… the same ones… immediately she turned to Lyra. Lyra had stopped playing, her contraption hanging uselessly. She was tense, and oblivious.

Octavia didn’t blame her, growing up in Ponyville, such a small town, she must have been close to everyone. One big happy family. But here in Canterlot, where pony nobles viewed themselves higher than other ponies, it must be uncomfortable to see a pony stick her nose to the sky like that. Like she’s better than everyone else. Oh how ignorant.

“Hi, Sunny,” Octavia said, waving.

Celestia paused for a second, eye brow raising. How could they know the name of her persona? She hadn’t put it in the letter. Oh well, makes her job easier. “Hi girls,” she said, smiling brightly. Like they were best friends.

Lyra blinked, as did a few of the other patrons. “Sunny?”

Octavia could see the gears working.

“I hope your meal was nutritious, but we must go, now.” Sunny lit her horn, purple aura humming, and lifted Lyra as well as her contraption and lyre, off the chair. Octavia followed as they headed down the road to the waterfall.

There was a deal to make.

10


Two days passed. Twilight and Crystal were actually getting along. At first, Crystal was in a follow the leader state. Whenever, wherever Twilight went, Crystal went, even to the bathroom.

As time moved on, Twilight could see the muscles in Crystal’s shoulders relax, and her face wouldn’t be in a permanent scowl. Crystal grew bolder until Twilight decided to do something every child must do in his or her early life, steal a cookie from the cookie jar. The first time Crystal tried, Twilight took the blame for ‘influencing’ her, but after a talking to she got not one, but two soft chocolate chip cookies, something else she hadn’t tried. Crystal had a new experience to add her childhood portfolio. That’s what big sisters are for? To make memories? Right.

Another one of those experiences happened on Crystal’s first day. She’d never had ice cream before, (Seriously, what mother keeps ice cream from their filly?) and looked like she snorted crack cocaine after the first bite. Special enough, right? But there’s more. Right after she swallowed, immediately she stuck her face into the cold treat, taking half in one bite. Needless to say she ran around with the world’s worst brain freeze. Eventually she ran to Twilight’s arms, shaking, whimpering. Twilight spoon fed her the last of her ice cream, growing quite attached to Crystal’s smile. That’s what made it special, her smile.

Now, at her third breakfast in the castle, Crystal was finally able to eat in her own seat next to Celestia instead of on Twilight’s lap.

Today, the mess hall was packed, a few nobles sitting in its ranks. Celestia, Twilight and Crystal ate stacks of colorful pancakes, Crystal’s layered in sweet orange slices. Neither of the three noticed the prying eyes today. Whenever there’s a new member at the dais, it was important news, and since yesterday, everyone watched the white filly carefully, wondering how she got such a prestigious spot in the hall.

About half way through their meal, a guard in blue armor, one Twilight knew personally, walked up to Celestia. Crystal flinched, and Twilight thought she’d hide under her chair like the first time she showed. That noble never saw Celestia’s rage coming. But she didn’t, and Twilight was proud.

Shining Armor whispered something into Celestia’s ear. Then waited.

Crystal was finally allowed to use silverware again, and as she took another sweet bite, Celestia’s eyes turned to pinpricks.

“And you waited till NOW to tell me!” Celestia slammed her hoof against the stone tablet, cracking her gold shoe, and Crystal tumbled. She got up, relatively unharmed, and ran under Twilight’s chair, clutching one of her leg.

“Princess…” Shining said, looking at his sister. Twilight shook her head, as if to say, no, this doesn’t happen frequently, before lowering a hoof to stroke Crystal’s back.

“Shining Armor, I want you in my office with both guards immediately, this is unacceptable!” Celestia slammed the table again, this time cracking the stone itself.

“Ah, yes, Your Majesty” Shining sputtered before leaving.

“What happened?” Twilight said. In the brief moment all eyes were on Shining, Crystal had hopped onto Twilight’s lap, shaking miserably, quietly whimpering into her coat.

“Just meet me in the front of the dungeon after Crystal calms down,” Celestia lowered her gaze to Crystal’s, “sorry for scaring you, Little One. It won’t happen again.” With that, she teleported out, leaving the maids to clean her plates.

11


The castle dungeon system had three parts. One, which was closest to Twilight’s tower, held highly undangerous ponies, petty thieves and nobles that throw temper tantrums, called, Layer A. Twilight herself boarded here with a noble once; she was sent after her fourteenth attempt at stealing from Celestia’s personal cake stash, and the stallion was insufferable.

The room itself was padded with a two soft beds and a layer of anti magic, for unicorns that just learned to fire raw magic. No windows, temperature control, and a single padded door. Basically a time out room.

The next layer was for ponies that assaulted others, caused property damage, and what not. Twilight never went here, and she was glad. The room was still temperature controlled, but all padding was gone, no beds, no windows, but, unlike Layer A, this had a commode, since decisions took a little longer then, she just needs to calm down.

The last layer, Layer C, was some place no one wanted to be. It’s where the failed assassins, murders, arsons all go, and there have been homicides here. lt had no padding, just cold damp floor, no temperature control so you had to deal with the blazing heat, chains, straight jackets, and a single bucket that gets cleaned once a month. It was the only Layer that has guards, and these are given strict orders to kill if threatened. There is no mercy here.

Just hearing the word dungeon made Twilight worry for Crystal. She tried to leave her in the room, so she’d be safe, but no matter what she did, Crystal always found a way onto the purple pony’s back. Eventually she gave up.

“Do you think I'm weak?” Crystal said, her voice just above a whisper.

The two were walking down the endless stairs of Twilight’s tower, Crystal wearing a soft blue jacket, for comfort more than warmth, but it is cold in the dungeon. Twilight in a pink one, to match her highlight.

“What are you talking about?” Crystal grabbed one of Twilight’s leg, and was levitated onto her back. Twilight didn’t want to fall again. “If it’s your sister’s death, no. That can be hard on anypony, and the closer you are, the more it hurts.”

“But, I knew it would happen. From the beginning I knew I’d die. That everyone I loved would die. I should have prepared, I should have been able to handle…” Twilight put a hoof over Crystal’s mouth.

Crystal was a lot like herself, and the signs of an emotional breakdown were obvious, the first one being sputtering. “It doesn’t matter, Crystal, you aren’t weak, just,” Twilight put a hoof to her chin, “a building, yeah. You might have crumbled after learning the sad truth, but you can rebuild yourself, a stronger and better you.” Twilight smiled, then pressed her forehead against Crystal’s, “and I’ll be with you every step of the way, little sister.”

Twilight blinked, she hadn’t meant to say that. Is it okay? Did she break a rule? Silently she watched Crystal, looking for any sign of emotion, a head shake, the lifting of a hoof, anything. Nothing happened.

“Isn’t Celestia waiting?” Crystal’s voice was even, more then ever! She seemed more in control in this moment then the entirety of those first two days. “We should get moving.”

“Oh, right,” Twilight awkwardly shuffled down the stairs, the weight on her back far more evident now. When she reached the bottom, she felt a small pressure at the nape of her neck. Turning around, she saw Crystal, sitting patiently, a bright smile plastered on her face. Wordlessly, she had agreed with Twilight’s mistake.

12


Celestia wasn’t in front of Layer A or B, and Twilight started to worry again. No one has been in Layer C in years, decades even, but that was assuming Celestia wasn’t just late.

Twilight decided to wait at the door to Layer B. There were three ponies in this dungeon, none of which were associated with Twilight or Crystal. Then why did Celestia want us here?

A fear climbed up her spine, could Cross have been murdered? The dragon was just a story? Twilight shook her head, pushing the fear back with reason that had gotten her through six harsh years in the castle.

Celestia would never lie.

Slowly, Twilight felt legs wrap around her neck. A few ponies passed, but that’s about it. “Are you afraid?” she said touching one of Crystal’s hooves. A whimper was the only thing she got in return. She didn’t need to turn around to know the answer anyhow.

After a while of waiting a few more ponies passed, and with each the grip tightened around her neck. Twilight decided that an intervention was necessary, but not now. Celestia was coming.

Across the hallway, in the direction of Layer C, Celestia proudly strutted towards them, a scowl detailed her face. At the sight of Crystal, her eyes widened and Twilight could almost hear the snap of Hazel’s neck. She took a second to marvel at how strong her mentor was. Twilight looked down at Celestia’s left hoof. The broken shoe was there, but it looked a little tight on her.

“Why must you keep me waiting, Twilight?” said Celestia, her voice stilling Crystal’s hooves. She released her grip and sat up straight. “I have been waiting for ten minutes now.”

“We’ve been waiting for ten minutes, Princess,” Twilight said. Crystal marveled, a pony that could stand up to Celestia… Princess Celestia when she looked so agitated. She relaxed, comforted by the strong mare.

“Crystal Agate,” Celestia hissed, glaring at the filly, “sit up straight.” Crystal yelped, back stiffening.

Twilight felt her shake again. “Princess, what is the meaning of this?” Celestia didn’t respond, but Twilight had seen that look in her eye. One of deep thought.

Celestia sighed, “not yet,” she whispered just loud enough for Twilight to over hear. “Follow me, you two.” She turned and walked back where she came.

Mindlessly scaring a filly, Twilight thought, putting a comforting hoof on Crystal’s back, feeling just how tense she was, but that look? Was she testing her?

She followed.

13


Eventually they reached the door to Layer C, and Twilight gulped. “Crystal, you stay here, it’s dangerous down there.”

“N… No,” the answer was followed by a near choking grip on Twilight’s trachea. She was still scared, too scared to leave her one source of comfort. Celestia didn’t help much in that area, Twilight thought. That and Crystal’s afraid of other ponies.

“Crystal, you will come as well,” Celestia said, ending the argument, before it could start, “this has as much to do with you as anypony else.”

Questions answered, the three headed down dark and slippery stone stairs. In the medieval age, this room would have smelled of feces at least six out of the seven months in the year, and there would be a murder once every two weeks. Twilight is just happy to have been born in a time of peace, as now it smelled like lemon air freshener and the shackles were gleaming.

Crystal jumped when a drop of what she hoped was water fell onto her back.

The entire layer was lit with two strings of lightbulbs. Enough to light then entirety of the cells, and leave the guards in darkness. Prisoners couldn’t see the guards, but guards could see the prisoners. The only natural light came from the barred window at the end of the hall.

“Celestia, what could you need Crystal for in a place like this?” Twilight said, reaching the bottom of the stairway.

“You’ll see.”

Twilight looked into some of the empty stone cells, ponies died in there. She could see one pony smash the skull of another against those walls. “This isn’t a place for children.”

To this there was no response.

At the end of the line of cells were three stallions all dressed in gold armor, two had swords and the third had a spear.

The three bowed at the sight of their princess.

“You are relieved, now go take a shower and head home,” Celestia announced. None questioned.

Apparently the lightbulb died at this cell, looking inside the cell there was a single figure shrouded in shadows, wrapped in a warm straight jacket with a muzzle over her mouth. Twilight couldn’t think of a logical reason to choose a cell with a broken lightbulb. natural light only went so far. Unless they were trying to protect her image?

The figure glared back with piercing purple eyes. She heaved, barely in control of herself, or just exhausted from exertion.

“My apologies,” Celestia said, “I was only informed of your situation an hour ago. Don’t worry, I demoted the guards in charge.”

Celestia is, apologizing to a Layer C criminal? Twilight thought, unable to keep confusion off her face. Wait, demoted? Shining was demoted? Twilight had known Celestia for six long years, and not once had she demoted her guard, promoted yes, but… never.

Then Twilight noticed Celestia’s eyes bulge in the darkness. Pieces were coming together, but they didn’t make sense.

“Sterile, I know why you are here,” deftly, without a seconds thought, Celestia pushed Crystal onto the cold, wet ground. She landed with a loud slap, letting out a sharp cry of pain.

“Celestia!” Twilight shouted. She moved to pick the filly up, but a golden aura pulled her back.

“Don’t move,” Celestia’s voice was silken but firm, “just watch.” Twilight watched the prisoner, her eyes, those purple pinpricks seemed to pulse. She muffled something but Twilight couldn’t understand. “That is your daughter, aren’t you going to comfort her?”

“M-Mommy,” Crystal uttered weakly, tears falling down her cheek. Twilight lunged towards the filly, but Celestia pulled her back. What the hell! she thought, anger bubbling in her stomach. Why would you do this, Celestia?

There was a ripping sound that stole Twilight’s attention. She looked back at Sterile, and, the shadows seemed to, shimmer? More ripping and one hoof was free.

Impossible

Two hooves were free, and Twilight could see the white of her fur. Celestia’s magic faltered, but Twilight was too afraid to make a move. She stood stiff as a board as the muzzle was ripped to shreds. “Crystal!” she said, her voice panicked, “baby, where are you?”

Crystal got up and ran to the bars. She put her tiny hooves through the gaps, crying out, but couldn’t reach, “Mommy!”

Twilight thought Sterile would just touch Crystal’s hooves through the bars, but apparently that wasn’t her plan.

The white mare rushed, not to Crystal, but to a different part of the bars. In the light, Twilight could see both of Sterile’s hooves wrapped in thick black magic. She quickly took hold of two three inch thick steel bars and, like they were toothpicks and gumdrops, ripped them out of their perch almost a foot deep in magically enhanced cement and threw them to the back of the cell.

If Celestia hadn’t put a wing around Twilight, she might have screamed when Sterile ran out of the gap.

she… just… Twilight just looked at the bars, lying pathetically on the ground. “Mommy!” Twilight was torn from the cell at Crystal’s emotionally filled voice. She was crying, yet smiling, as her mother scooped her up in auraless arms. She’ll kill her! Twilight pushed to make a rescue, but, for the third time was stopped by Celestia.

Time seemed to slow down. Instead of snapping her neck, Sterile Agate kissed her daughter endlessly, comforting her in ways Twilight only dreamed.

“She’s her mother, “Celestia said, pulling Twilight close enough to whisper, “and she’s extremely protective of her children. If you moved as much as an inch or looked at Crystal wrong, she’d have attacked you.” Twilight’s heart stopped. She imagined her head physically being ripped off her neck and smashed against the wall. Then Shining’s. Suddenly Twilight felt something touch her cheek. She turned, just realizing how badly she was shaking, and saw Celestia, a warm smile radiating. “Don’t worry, my faithful student, Neither, Crystal nor myself want something to happen to you. You’re safe.”

Twilight crept closer to her mentor, her fear subsiding at those words. She opted to watched to display of affection, noting how Sterile licked Crystal’s closed eye, and realized something.

A mother as protective as Sterile, one that’s this affectionate and comforting, one Crystal willingly runs to, is negligent? Why is there a problem? If Crystal’s mother loves her this much then why would she stay away for days? Never teaching her to brush her hair, not even letting the filly see her.

Eventually, Sterile stopped and gingerly set Crystal on her back, nuzzling her one last time. Twilight noticed that Crystal was asleep, a smile on her face as she lay in what she must consider the safest place on Earth. Too emotional? she thought, she just had a nap, why did she fall asleep now?

Sterile walked away, only to slam into a golden barrier.

“I have what I came for, Princess,” Sterile spat, “I will take my leave now.”

“On one condition,” Celestia, unfazed, responded.

“What would that be?”

Celestia unfurled her wings, to Twilight she looked like the god ponies call her, but to Sterile she might as well have shrunk. “I will let you leave unharmed, drop all charges of assault on my guard, and make sure no one interrupts your life if you agree to working from eight to three. You shall spend more time with Crystal, watch her grow, guide her, and love her.” She twitched, Twilight knew why, and Sterile saw. “Do we have a deal?”

Sterile looked at Celestia, angrily, glaring, then looked down, deep in thought.

How could she say no? Twilight thought, eyes glued to Crystal, her little sister. Wait, is this going to be goodbye? A pang of sadness resonated in her chest, but she swallowed it. Please remember me, Crystal.

Water dripped down, creating a cacophony of dampness. The natural light filtering through shined on Sterile’s forehead, marking the furrows of her forehead. Twilight twitched, the sudden silence made her restless. Minutes that ticked by felt like hours, and finally, Sterile looked up, her decision make.

“I refuse”

“WHAT!” Twilight cried, her voice echoing throughout the room. She only realized that she even spoke when Sterile’s cold gaze fell on her.

“I suspected as much.” Celestia said, lighting her horn. Crystal floated, limp and helpless, in her grasp.

“Give her back,” Sterile arched her back, ready to attack, black aura surrounding her hooves again, “Now!”

“What if I say no?”

As if to answer, Sterile charged. She raised her black coated hooves, the ones that ripped out three inch bars, against her leader, but when they struck, they struck a golden shield. She began a barrage of attacks, each bouncing off.

“I think I’ll kill her,” Celestia said, only enraging Sterile more, “how does that sound?”

Sterile screamed, lunging into her attacks. Sparks flew with each impact and Twilight could see tiny cracks forming in what she thought was an impenetrable shield. Sterile actually got Celestia to flinch.

Twilight stood frozen in place. Should she do something? What could she do that Celestia couldn’t?

(You want to do something?)

Twilight nearly screamed at the sound of Celestia’s telepathic voice.

\

Telepathy was the first thing Twilight mastered with her magic, but she could only do it with one pony, that’s the limit, so, as the situation dictated, Celestia was the only pony she really interacted with, so that’s who she chose.

(Y-Yes… oh Celestia, even my thoughts are shaking.)

(Take Crystal to your room, put her to bed and wait. Only I can subdue Sterile when she gets like this)

(What! Why don’t you just give her her daughter? Why do you have to enrage her by threatening to kill the only reason she’s here?)

(So she will focus on me, now go)

Twilight almost screamed, yet again, when Crystal’s limp weight fell on her back.

(Go.)

(Tell me!)

(JUST GO!)

Startled, Twilight jumped, running down the hallway and up the stairs. She didn’t look back until the door to her room was closed and locked three times over. As if it’ll make a difference.

She put Crystal into her basket, with dry linen, and tucked her in with shaking hooves.

Celestia knows something, she has some kind of a plan, but for what? Why on earth would she take a filly from her mother? Why would she push a filly? She’s never done that before? Why now?

Lying back, Twilight let the questions float around in her mind like satellites before noticing Crystal. Briefly she smiled then pushed back some of her mane. Crystal sucked her hoof, completely at peace.

“I guess I have you for a while longer, ey, Little Sister.”