• Published 13th Mar 2015
  • 227 Views, 3 Comments

The Night Mare: Risen - InkCrescent



When a terrible danger threatens Ink Crescent's existence and the beautiful city of Cantelot, the alicorn may have to face a new challenge on her own.

  • ...
 3
 227

7: Hook, Line, and Sinker

Crescent stared down at the letter she was writing. All she had written was, "Dear Cadance," and then had been stuck on how to begin it.

"Dear Cadance," she murmured to herself, "we were hoping -- no."

The door to her suite creaked open, and Sky popped her head in. "How's the letter coming?" Excitement flashed in her eyes.

"Not good," Crescent sighed. "Look." She held up the letter with her magic, and Sky read it, then stepped back a pace and blinked.

"Interesting . . . start?" Sky asked, wincing a bit at her comment.

"Yeah," Crescent scoffed. "Interesting." She sighed, setting down the letter and the quill, and standing up. "Maybe I just need some fresh air."

"Maybe you should just wait. We can go another time," Sky suggested.

"No!" Crescent snapped. "You wanted to meet Cadance, and I'll make sure you do." She sighed again. "Maybe I just need some fresh air," she repeated. "Or a lot of fresh air."

"I assume by fresh air you mean the Everfree?" Sky asked, dread ringing clear in her voice.

"You have gotten to know me so well," Crescent replied. She cast the spell, hiding her wings, and opened her hotel room door. But as soon as she did, she jumped back in surprise. Twilight stood in the doorway, smiling.

"Good. You're both here." Twilight entered. "I got a letter from Princess Cadance, and it was directed to someone named Selene, but I read it anyway." Twilight sighed, turning to face them. "Do either of you know a Selene?"

Crescent exchanged a look with Sky, before clearing her throat. "Actually, yes. She's my -- er -- cousin. I met Cadance when I attended Canterlot Academy, and now, my sister goes to Princess Celestia's School for Gifted Unicorn. I guess Cadance sent it to the wrong pony."

"So," Twilight said slowly, "the letter was directed to you?"

"My -- uh -- cousin's not here, so I guess it was." Crescent smiled at her, hoping that the princess bought it.

"Well," Twilight replied uncertainly, hoofing her the letter, "here you go, I guess. I never knew Cadance knew you. I remember she knew my brother."

"Thank you." Crescent dipped her head to the princess, and watched as she disappeared down the hall, before she closed the door and turned to Sky, the letter in her hoof. She slowly picked it up with her magic and stared at it.

"Well?" Sky asked, excitement buzzing in her voice. "Read it!"

Crescent took a deep breath.

"Dear Selene,

Do you remember that letter that I sent you on your birthday? Well, the offer still stands."

"What offer?" Sky interrupted. "That invitation to the Crystal -- "

"Shush!" Crescent snapped.

"You can still come to the Crystal Empire this week and stay a few days, if you want.

Sincerely, and with sisterly love, Cadance."

"Is she serious?" Sky asked. Her eyes widened as Crescent nodded. "Can we go?"

"Definitely. I told you I'd schedule us a trip no matter what, but I guess we don't have to schedule much. We leave Monday," Crescent confirmed. She set the letter down, and picked up a scroll and quill. "I'll write to her now."

"Cadance,

I remember the letter that you sent me on my birthday. I'm glad your offer still stands, for we -- Sky and I -- would love to come. But we must protect my secret, and Sky's, for she is also an alicorn. We will travel to Canterlot on Monday and stay a few days, to catch up with Luna and Celestia, then we will finish the journey to the Crystal Empire. I can't express my excitement, and I'm sure Sky is just as excited, if not more so. We will see you within the week.

Crescent."