• Published 13th Mar 2015
  • 6,276 Views, 59 Comments

Love Under the Moonlight - SerenaTheMoonPony



Princess Twilight Sparkle and Princess Luna have been secretly dating since Luna's first Nightmare Night upon returning from her thousand-year bannishment. What happens when Luna decides to pop the question?

  • ...
10
 59
 6,276

What?!

"A-are you sure?" Luna asked, not sure how to react to this news.
"It's possible; we're just waiting on the test results now..." Twilight replied.
"But how?! When did we even...? Oh..." Luna said as her eyes widened in realization.
"I-I don't know how to respond to this..." Luna remarked.
"How do you think I felt when I found out?" Twilight replied.
"Nopony can find out about this...imagine the scandal that'll cause if I happen to actually be pregnant...before marriage and to two mares with high ranking to boot..." Twilight said in realization as Luna nodded in agreement.
"Fair point my love. Well, this has been quite the interesting few days hasn't it?" Luna chuckled as she hugged the love of her life within her wing.
"Tell me about it; first we get engaged and then there is a slight chance that we are going to be parents...what's next?! We go public? Honestly who knows at this point..." She replied.
"Did you want to go public? It doesn't matter to me, but if you want to, we can" Luna asked.
"I suppose we could, but we'd have to tell the girls first; it wouldn't feel right if they only found out when we go public" Twilight replied as the lunar princess nodded in agreement.
"What about your family Twilight?" She asked even if she would have preferred to not bring up that discussion.
"Well, Shining Armor and Cadence will be easy to talk to, mom and dad however...I'd honestly rather not tell them and let them figure it out, but it wouldn't be right of me to do that..." The lavender alicorn replied. Luna held her close. That's when she realized something.
"Well, I'm pretty sure my sister mentioned that Cadence and Shining Armor were coming to Canterlot for a visit tomorrow; how about we tell them and maybe they can help us a bit when it comes time to tell your parents?" She suggested.

She didn't want to rush Twilight into this, but she figured she could at least try to help her fiancé with it. Twilight pondered at the idea for a few minutes before finally saying:

"I suppose we could tell Shinny and Cadence to start. Maybe talk to the girls sometime after that?"
"If you want to, my love. I won't force you" Luna replied with a soft smile.
"I want to; they deserve to know. We can discuss telling my parents or not later" She said.
"Then it's settled" She said as she planted a soft kiss on her love's lips.

After about twenty minutes, the two mares fell asleep in each other's warn, tender embrace.

The next day, when Twilight and Luna went down to the dining room for breakfast, Celestia couldn't help but tease the two lovebirds a little bit.

"For the thousandth time sister, we didn't do anything! We talked for a bit and then fell asleep!" Luna exclaimed, a bit frustrated.
"Whatever you say Luna" Celestia smirked.
"We. Didn't. Do. Anything!" Luna exclaimed once more, this time making Twilight giggle a little bit.
"Of course sister, whatever you say..." Celestia replied, laughing. Luna just huffed in defeat; there was no escaping her sister's teasing.
"Oh, and might I say congratulations on the engagement; I'm quite happy for the both of you" She added as Twilight smiled in thanks.

After finishing their meal, a white unicorn guardspony announced the arrival of Princess Cadence and Prince Shining Armor. Seeing as Celestia was going to see the two later on in the morning, Luna asked her sister to tell the young couple that they wanted to see them later when they had a moment to talk.

Luna and Twilight then returned to Luna's chambers and discussed the events of the last couple days:

"I kind of hope it's just a false alarm..." Twilight mumbled.
"I mean, I wouldn't mind having a foal one day, but I don't know if I'm really ready to have a child yet..." She added.
"I will admit the thought of being a parent is a little frightening, but one day, I'd love to be a mother. When are you to get the results back?" Luna asked.
"In a couple days from now..." She replied. Luna nodded.
"Would you mind if I accompanied you?" The lunar goddess asked.
"I wouldn't mind at all, Luna. In fact, I think I would prefer if you came with me" She replied.

It wasn't too long after that when the two mares herd a knock on the door. Upon answering it, Princess Cadence and Shining Armor entered the room. After Luna greeted them, Cadence immediately asked what was going on.

"Well...huh...you see..." The princess of friendship stuttered. Seeing her distress, Luna draped one of her wings around the lavender mare.
"Twilight, breathe. Just relax...everything is going to be fine" She soothed.
"What's up Twilight? You know you can tell us anything, right?" Cadence asked in hopes of getting to the bottom of all of this. Twilight sighed.
"Well...the thing is...I huh...Luna and I got engaged" Twilight said, waiting for a response from her brother and sister-in-law.
"You and Luna...got engaged? Really? Yes! I knew you two would end up together!" Cadence exclaimed, much to Twilight and Luna's confusion.
"Huh?" The two mares asked in unison.
"Twilight, I've known you since you were a little filly; I've known about your interest in mares for a long time; I just never said anything because I never felt it was my place. Not to mention the fact that I am technically the princess of Love, so I knew how you two felt about each other this whole time." Cadence explained with a smile.
"I'm really happy for you, Twily" Shining Armor said, hugging his sister.
"Do...huh...mom and dad know?" He asked hesitantly.
"No...and I would much rather not tell them..." Twilight said.

The four ponies stayed in that room and discussed the different options for hours. Every time Shining Armor or Cadence would suggest something involving her straight out confronting her parents, Twilight shot it down. It's not that she didn't want her parents to know, she just didn't want to argue with them over her sexuality.

Finally, Twilight had agreed to tell her parents of her and Luna's engagement. She and her fiance decided that they would invite Twilight Velvet and Night Light to the palace later on that evening. Twilight mentally prepared herself for the rest of the day until they arrived.

Once Twilight Velvet and Night Light arrived, the four of them went into what once was Twilight's room when she was living at the palace studying under Princess Celestia. Luna could feel Twilight's nervousness,- not to mention, it was fairly obvious by the look on her face- she desperately wished that there was some way to calm her love.

Luna did feel guilty for kind of forcing Twilight to talk to her parents, but at the same time, she knew it would have to be done eventually. She never once forced Twilight to do anything she didn't want to, but she could tell this was something she did not want to do.

"So, huh...mom, dad, t-they're something I need to tell you guys..." Twilight started.
"What is it, sweetie? And why is Princess Luna here?" Her mother asked.
"Because I wanted her here. Anyway, huh...well, there's something I've been hiding from you for a long time; I'm...I'm gay and Luna is my mare-friend" Twilight replied as Luna hugged her with her wing in comfort.

You could have heard a pin drop in Manehatten- that's how quiet it was in the room. Nopony dared to speak. Twilight looked to her parents, then back to the floor.

"Where did we go wrong?" Velvet mumbled.
"I don't know sweetheart..." Night Light replied.
"I never thought one of ours would be like that..." Velvet said.
"I'm still the same mare I was before..." Twilight chimed in.
"No, you are not our daughter. Our daughter was normal. From this point on, we have no daughter" Night Light replied somewhat coldly. Twilight was about to leave the room when Luna finally spoke up.
"Wait a minute, are you seriously going to disown your daughter because you do not approve of her sexuality? Seriously? You do realize that regardless of what gender she's attracted to, your daughter is an amazing mare. She's saved Equestria so many times, Celestia and I have lost count, she is one of the most powerful ponies in Equestrian history, she is basically a genius and she is an amazing friend who is ready to help at anytime; no matter what. She was extremely courageous in even telling you about this; it is a very difficult thing to do, believe me, I know. What valid argument do you have for disowning her?"
"It's not normal for a mare to be attracted to another mare like that; it's just not natural" Velvet argued.
"Really? There are plenty of things we all do everyday of our lives that are deemed 'unnatural' according to our history, Ms. Velvet." Luna argued.
"Well...huh...It's against Faust's laws" Night Light replied. Luna laughed.
"Seriously? 'It's against Faust's laws'? Pfft! Faust never said anything about homosexuality being a sin or 'against her laws'." Luna replied.
"It's disgusting" Velvet replied.
"So is what you and your husband do in the bedroom, I presume Ms. Velvet." Luna replied. Twilight just sat there and watched as her fiance and her parents argued.
"Why do you ponies insist on all this anyway? You all just choose to be that way..." Night Light argued. Luna did all within her power to not explode with rage with great success. Instead, she calmly replied.
"Are you serious? You think we choose to be this way? You think we choose to be shunned and harassed over what we are sexually attracted to? You know, I had friends who were chased out of Equestria because of their sexuality. You think we would seriously choose to be basically exiled from home because other ponies think we're 'odd', or 'weird', or 'broken'? Sexual orientation isn't a choice, Ms. Velvet; it's something you are born with."

Noticing Twilight's unease with the situation, Luna spoke up once more.

"I think it might be best if you left. If you cared at all for you daughter, you wouldn't be doing this. Your son can accept his sister for who she is, why can't you? Oh, and Twilight forgot to mention, I proposed to her, and she accepted. Though if you can't accept her for who she is, I wouldn't bother coming to the wedding" As she finished talking, Twilight Velvet and Night Light were gone.

Author's Note:

Hey everypony! :twilightsmile:
I just wanted to explain how it's possible that Twilight might be pregnant. See, in my fics, when I ship two mares-which is basically all the time now that I think about it- I have it set so that there is a spell that makes it possible for two mares to have a child. Obviously, there needs to be a unicorn or an alicorn in the relationship though.
Also, just going to point out that that last scene was not fun for me to write (kept on chatting online with my friend saying I was entering a bloody war-zone!); I am personally an ally in the LGBT community (and I'm also trying to figure out what my sexuality may be so...) and it is something I feel strongly about. I am thankful that I have parents that have already made it clear to me that whatever my sexual orientation, they'll love me regardless; they just want me to be happy.
Anyway, that being said, I hope you all enjoy this chapter, and if you didn't; tell me what I 'did wrong' (Just be nice please! I don't take criticism well; one of my many challenges I suppose! So yeah, please be nice and not too rough on me when commenting, thanks! :twilightsmile:)
So until next time everypony! :pinkiehappy:

- SerenaTheMoonPony