• Published 11th May 2012
  • 1,165 Views, 17 Comments

The G.E.A.: Victor in Equestria - InfiniteBrony



Dimension-hopping special agent travels to Equestria. Twilight's life will never be quite the same.

  • ...
0
 17
 1,165

Intro

Real

Just four little letters. Such a simple word. Or is it? Everyone knows what real is. If I were to tell you that something was real or fake, fact or fantasy, you would know just what it is that I’m saying. But can you define the word “real”?

How can you tell what “real” really is? I’ll let you in on a little secret – you can’t. “Real” doesn’t exist. “Real” is just an abstract concept, created by the ignorant masses to try and protect their fragile sense of reality, lest the truth of the world around them drive them insane. The truth is that “real” never existed in the first place. For “real” to exist, it would mean that there was also a “fake”. That fact and fantasy were separate.

And that’s just not the way things are.

There is no such thing as fantasy, everything you thought was just a good story, or a nice book, or a cool movie, has actually happened. Out there, somewhere, somewhen, in some other reality, it was all a factual occurrence. Every errant thought, wild imagining, and impassioned daydream, somewhere out there is a corresponding reality where it is all true.

There is a vast multitude of distinct realities and alternate dimensions, all of them just as tangible and “real” as the last.

But there’s more.

You see, these universes aren’t exactly separate. They are all connected, joined by the few truly universal forces. There are plenty of names for these forces, Good and Evil, Chaos and Order, Yin and Yang, etc. And they are all in a precise but delicate balance. But they didn’t get that way on their own, and they sure don’t stay that way without help.

And that’s where the GEA comes in.

The GEA, or Genesis Equilibrium Agency, is tasked with keeping, monitoring, and maintaining that precious balance. We’re always there, watching from the shadows and making sure the balance never leans too far one way or the other. We’re the things that go bump the night, so that when you wake up in the morning everything’s alright. We’re the best of the best, but don’t worry if you’ve never heard of us; if we’ve done our jobs right you won’t know we’ve done anything at all.

Only the elite of The Enlightened – those who for some reason or another became aware of the truth of the world around them – ever end up joining the ranks of the GEA. Great people (and quite often some that aren’t people at all) from all walks of life and backgrounds, all sorts of worlds and realities all comprise the GEA. I am one of those people.

I am Vita Umbra, Viador trans Astra ad Ultra Sidera, but I usually just go by Victor Umbra. I’m sort of what you might consider a “freelance agent”. I tend to simply observe the happenings of the multiverse, but I’ll interfere if it’s necessary. Or if I feel like it.

Most would be honored to be in my position, traveling across the various dimensions, protecting the balance wherever I go. But honestly I’m just in it for shits and giggles.

Long story short, I’m immortal. And eternity can be pretty boring. So I thought joining the GEA would be a good way to spice things up a bit. And considering my *ahem* rather interesting background they were more than happy to have me.

So here I am, hopping between realities, maintaining the balance, and basically just doing whatever the hell I want. But I’m here right now for a reason. I’ve got a story to tell you. A story about ponies.

I am Victor Umbra, and this is the story of when I went to Equestria.


The air was thick with the scent of physical exertion and thrummed deeply with the frantic pounding of the massive bass; multi-colored strobe lights and lasers played over the sea of jumping bodies and glow-sticks. I had just managed to finally lose myself to the pounding rhythm when I felt it. The tell-tale buzzing from my coat pocket and pressure at the back of my mind left little room for doubt. Cursing HQ for their horrible timing, I carefully extracted myself from the writhing crowd and stepped out of the club, so that I might better hear the message. Ducking into a side alley, I looked around to make sure that I wouldn’t be overheard and withdrew my Badge.

Flipping open the square device I was greeted with more or less exactly what I had expected. The upper portion, as always, clearly and prominently displayed my personal insignia, identifying me to anyone who knew how to read it. On the lower partition however, in place of the usual symbol of the GEA was a small blue vortex, swirling in a listless clockwise pattern, indicating an awaiting message. I activated it with a small wave of my hand, causing the vortex to flash red before a young feminine voice with slight synthetic undertones emanated from the device.

--Greetings Special Agent Umbra. Is your location secure?—

I cast one last look around me before responding, “Location is secure.”

The little blue vortex was replaced with a simple green wire-frame that projected to cover both me and the immediate area inside the alleyway as the voice spoke again.

--Scanning… Scanning… Confirmed.—

The probing lines retracted back into the small screen-like surface and the voice continued.

--Location is secure. You have a new message. Would you like to play it now, Agent Umbra?—

“Yes.”

--Acknowledged. Commencing message playback.—

The bright green grid faded away and was replaced with a three dimensional projection of a woman’s head. Her features were fierce and lithe, somehow both shapely and sharp simultaneously. Her flowing raven tresses perfectly framed her acute facial structure, from her thin jaw to her high cheek bones and up to her curved brow. Her piercing green eyes cast a dis-approving glare at me as her pointed ears twitched in irritation.

[“Victor. I know what you did. A rave? Really? What could have possibly made you think that was a good idea?”] She released a deep sigh and shook her head before going on. [“You’re lucky the Director was in a good mood. We’re getting tired of covering for you every time you do something stupid. And playtime’s over anyways. You’re being called in. We’ve detected an anomaly, most likely Ceal’ith in origin. It’s been marked as a Point of Interest; the Director thinks you might want to see this. I can’t go into details on this channel, but it looks like we found another one. Head to HQ immediately. Cie’ara, signing off.”]

--End of message playback.—

Silently, I stowed my Badge back into my coat pocket and sighed heavily. “Dammit. I had tickets to Aerosmith tonight,” I muttered angrily under my breath. Irritably, I reached up to the ever-present toothpick in my mouth and flung it away so that I could replace it with a fresh one.

A sudden gust of cold air and a sound akin to the rustling of fabric filled the alleyway, and by the time the discarded toothpick had hit the ground I had already disappeared.