• Published 10th Mar 2015
  • 759 Views, 17 Comments

The Rise of an Alicorn's Destiny - HMXTaylorLee



Reveille, an alicorn with a mysterious past, appears in Twilight's castle. But not all is as it seems. As they relive his story together, they both learn what destiny truly means. And maybe, they'll learn something about each other along the way.

  • ...
12
 17
 759

A Less Tangential Denouement

After a lengthy explanation to the police, and presenting Blank Slate's satchel as evidence, Ponyville's finest saw fit to take Blank Slate in for at least some questioning. Under the rain surrounding the castle, Blank Slate's false wings fell away with their glue coming undone, and the cheap paints that he had used on himself also began to wash away. Underneath the coat of dark black and the mane of crimson was a simple brown earth pony, sporting a brown mane and a cutie mark depicting a broken quill. Blank Slate was thoroughly embarrassed, and lashed out at the officers that were dragging him to the carriage.

"Let me go, this isn't fair!" Blank Slate shouted, wriggling helplessly to try and escape. His red contacts fell out in the struggle, revealing a set of normal chocolate brown eyes. "This is why I don't pay my taxes! I'm not supporting you!" He was forced into the back seat, the door slamming, but doing little to mask his angry cries of protest.

"That sounded like a confession to me," the first officer said, stepping around the front of the carriage to his door.

"And neither of us are ordained," the second officer added as he opened his door. "Have a good evening, your highness. We'll call you if we need you!"

"Thank you!" Twilight called after them from the cobblestone path at the front of the castle as the carriage pulled away. The princess emitted a long and tired sigh. "What a day, huh, Spike?"

The dragon looked up at Twilight with disdain. "I'll say. And they had to take all of our mail? Even my comic?"

Twilight turned around, eager to finally get some sleep. "Don't worry, Spike. It's just until tomorrow after they document it as evidence."

At that moment, the bells in Ponyville's clock tower began to ring at slow, steady intervals.

"Or later on today, I should say," she corrected herself with a laugh.

Spike held the door open for her, clicking his tongue. "You really shouldn't have sang that song, Twi."

Twilight stopped moving and gave the dragon a jokingly annoyed glare in the doorway. "Spike, taking stock in things like that is completely ridiculous."

"As ridiculous as say, the time traveling, mind reading, ultra powerful, Element-of-Harmony-bearing, son of Nightmare Moon?"

Twilight laughed as she stepped inside and out of the rain, Spike following closely behind as he closed the door.

"Yeah, that was pretty ludicrous." She wiped herself down with a towel that she kept by the door for just such an occasion. "Though I have to admit, he took the whole thing to heart to make it seem believable. Right down to recoloring himself, that's devotion to the role. He probably would have made a better actor than a writer." A freshly dried Twilight handed the towel to a dripping Spike.

"Probably. I don't get the whole black and red thing, that just seemed a bit much," Spike added through the cloth he was rubbing against his face.

"His book said that it was 'keeping in theme' with his story, but I agree. Black and red are exceedingly uncommon, both regressive colors if I'm not mistaken. Maybe that was the appeal?" Twilight asked, looking up at the closed window above the front doors, the clouds above distorted from the droplets of rain against the glass. "I also don't get why, out of all the windows he could have gummed up and used to come into our castle, he chose the one that was right above the main entrance. Seems pointless."

Spike joined in her in looking up at the window. "Well, no one said he was smart. What was that he said about preconceived notions?" The dragon giggled as suddenly the moon shone from the window, the rain cloud having been eviscerated. Silhouetted in the moon was the figure of a white pegasus with a purple mane, rapidly kicking away at the remainder of the black clouds. "Who's that?"

"That's Windy Whisper," Twilight answered. "He's the mute pegasus that Blank Slate hired to follow him around and announce his name with a bugle, to basically play the part of Seasons Yore. I feel kind of bad for him, his employer having been sent to jail, and him being stuck so far away from home."

"You know." Spike gently prodded Twilight with his scaly elbow. "We could use another set of hooves to help with our library. It's a lot bigger than our old one, and we wouldn't have to worry about him being too loud!"

"That's not a bad idea, Spike." Twilight nodded as she watched Windy corkscrew his way through a thick cloud, coming out drenched on the other side. "And maybe it's because he can't talk, but I already like him better than Reveille."

Author's Note:

After more than three separate individuals expressing their feedback that the other ending (still included) came out of left field and essentially spat in the face of the moral of the story, I decided to craft one that was more sensible and hopefully more palatable.

Here's hoping it worked out!