• Published 28th Feb 2015
  • 386 Views, 5 Comments

The Empty Box and the Zeroth Trixie - abcd_z



Spike is just another student at Canterlot High. A new transfer student, Trixie Lulamoon, claims to be stuck in a time loop and declares war on Spike. Too bad he can't remember any of the loops...

  • ...
3
 5
 386

Prologue

It's not like I've completely forgotten about it. I probably still remember this place, and I even dream of its scenery, just as I'm doing now.

I can only remember this place in my dreams.

Right—it's not like I've forgotten about it. I just can't find any clues to help me retrieve these memories. Nothing could possibly trigger my memories of this scene. There's simply nothing in the real world that resembles it at all. If I tried, I could certainly remember it, but I lack the opportunity to do so.

Nothing from my everyday life could possibly remind me of this.

"Well, hello little one," a voice said, coming from all around me. I was suspended in a weightless void, and I saw white in every direction I looked. At the same time, I felt the force of hundreds of pounds, pushing me to the ground, and I saw nothing but a pitch black abyss. At the same time I felt as if I were rocketing into the air, and I could only see colorful, ever-changing colors and patterns.

In this random chaotic confusion, a structure assembled itself while I wasn't looking. Or perhaps it had always been there, and I just now noticed it. It was a human, and also a dragon and a leopard and several other things all at the same time. Whenever I tried to concentrate on just one aspect of the creature it stubbornly defied definition, like a particularly nasty visual illusion that refused to resolve.

"Do you have a wish?" this creature asked.

I must have given some kind of passive, harmless answer to his question, but I don't remember precisely what I said.

The creature held out a hand/paw/wing. Lying in this appendage was a box that was made of dozens and dozens of different materials at the same time. It was completely made out of metal, wood, ceramic, glass. The box was slimy/wet/rough/dry/cracked/smooth. Though the material changed constantly despite never changing, there was no denying the fact that the box was completely, unmistakably, empty. And yet, there was a very real sense that, although it couldn't be seen, there was most definitely something within that box.

"This is a box that grants any wish," it said.

I think I asked it something trivial at that point, along the lines of 'Why are you giving this to me?'

"Because you're truly interesting!" it exulted. "I can't distinguish one human from another human, even though I'm fascinated by humanity. Ironic, don't you think?"

I didn't really understand what it was trying to say, but I nodded halfheartedly nonetheless.

"But you're an exception—I can distinguish you from the rest of humanity. You might think that this is nothing special, but it's more than enough to capture my interest!"

I looked inside the box. Even though the box was empty, I felt as if I were being attacked by an unpleasant sensation and my entire body were being drawn toward the bottom of the box. I quickly looked away.

"This box will grant any wish. I don't care what you wish for—I won't stop you even if your wish destroys all of mankind. I'm just interested in what you, or your species, choose to wish for."

I said something in response, and the creature smiled.

"Hehe… No, no. It's not some kind of special power. Humans already have the ability to grant wishes just by forming a clear image of what they desire. I'm only able to give that power a little push."

I accepted the box.

Of course, I wouldn't remember this dream when I woke up.

But I would clearly remember what I thought about the mysterious multi-formed creature. It was the same impression that I had of it in the dream.

Somehow, isn't that entity...

...disgusting?