• Published 8th May 2012
  • 3,483 Views, 37 Comments

Fight for Love - Wyvern1246



Rainbow Dash struggles to tell Applejack her true feelings.

  • ...
7
 37
 3,483

Scars of the Past

“...jack!”

“...Dash! Applejack!”

“RAINBOW DASH! APPLEJACK!” Rainbow Dash awoke to the sound of somepony calling her name, or more specifically, someponies. She opened her eyes, which took some time to adjust to to her dark surroundings, and she looked around, confused.

“W-was t-that...” she started to say.

“RAINBOW DASH! APPLEJACK!” Raising her head from her straw colored pillow, she looked around to try and locate the source of the sound. It was still dark out, so it couldn’t have been too long since she had passed out. She squinted her eyes, straining to see the source of the calls. Finally, some figures stepped out of the shadows. Twilight, Fluttershy, Rarity, and Pinkie Pie were just on the other side of the clearing, but they hadn’t seen her yet. They trotted to the middle of the clearing before a familiar voice called out.

“Come on Dashie, where are you?!” yelled Pinkie Pie.

Rainbow looked down at the mare by her side, she was still unconscious. Rainbow noticed some strips of blood that ran down her back where her own hoof had rested. Dash herself was weak, she looked in horror as the group started to go in the wrong direction and had to muster all the strength that was left in her, “O...over h-here!” she yelled before collapsing back on to the apple scented mane that she loved, relieved to hear the sound of the frantic clip clop of hooves approaching her position.

The group stopped and looked in horror at the condition of their friends. Applejack with her front hoof bent at an odd angle, and Rainbow Dash, she was still bleeding from her right shoulder to her belly. They couldn’t see how large the wound was due to the blood that covered the cyan mare’s side. Her left front hoof was also covered in blood.

“Rainbow Dash, darling, what in Equestria happened!” exclaimed Rarity.

“Timberwolves...S-cootaloo...t-trouble,” was all Rainbow Dash could manage to gasp out.

“We heard that much from Scootaloo,” said Twilight, “She is shaken but not hurt. What I want to know is how you got in this CONDITION.” She pointed a hoof at her side.

“Twilight!” yelled Pinkie Pie, “Dashie and Applejack are hurt, save the questions for later!” Twilight was caught breathless, she had never seen Pinkie get mad, much less yell at anypony, but it seemed that the sight of one of her best friends injured pushed her over the edge.

“You’re right Pinkie, I’m sorry. Rainbow Dash, can you walk?”

“Not...not on my own.”

“Okay Pinkie Pie, you and Fluttershy help Rainbow Dash. Meanwhile Rarity and I will carry Applejack with our magic. We have to get these guys to the hospital right away.” The rest of the group nodded in agreement. Fluttershy and Pinkie helped Rainbow Dash to her hooves, supporting her on their shoulders while Rarity and Twilight used an interesting mix of magic and brute strength to carry the unconscious form of Applejack. With the two ponies secure, they headed straight to the hospital.

Rainbow Dash managed to stay conscious for this entire trip. Her whole body shook from the sheer exhaustion of her fight, she winched in pain when her left front leg touched the ground. She closed her eyes and tried to force through the pain. She felt so tired, but she couldn’t sleep until she knew Applejack would be alright. When they entered the hospital Nurse Redheart immediately rushed the two into a room to have them looked at. As Rainbow Dash was laid into a bed she gasped out, “Is...is Applejack g-going to be o-okay?” she said through her teeth as the pain flamed up in her side and hoof at the same time.

“Her leg looks to be broken,” stated Nurse Redheart, “But her breathing is stable and she has a steady pulse. She should be fine. It’s you we are worried about however. You have lost a great deal with blood Miss Dash. If you had been out there for another hour you would most likely have died” Rainbow’s face changed through several emotions before it finally got one that showed how relieved she was. She let out a sigh and closed her eyes. All the sound in the room vanished. The sound of rushing ponies and the nurse’s voice disappeared. She felt the strong grip of sleep taking her.


The warm sun shone through the window, hitting Rainbow in the face. She groaned and moved a hoof to her eyes to try and get some extra sleep. The warmth of the sun still annoying her face, she moved her hoof and opened her eyes. She slammed them shut as the sun assaulted her retinas. On a second attempt she had a little more luck, but still had to squint to keep them open. As her eye adjusted to the bright room she noticed a figure sitting up in the bed next to hers. Applejack was awake and looking at her.

“Applejack!” screamed Rainbow and shot up to a sitting position, she winced in pain as her side flared up. She closed her eyes and moved a hoof to her right side, but managed to say through a forced smile, “Thank Celestia you’re awake, I was so worried.”

“Relax Rainbow! Take it easy would yah? Ah’m sorry that Ah had yeh worried, sugar cube, but Ah’m back now and Ah ain’t goin’ nowhere.”

“That’s at least some relief,” Rainbow Dash said, still holding her side with her left front hoof. As the pain slowly disappeared she moved her hoof in front of her. She inspected her bandaged hoof for any holes in the bandage to reveal her hoof. She hadn’t really got any time to inspect it before it had gotten bandaged, and was curious of how it would look.

“Yeh know that Ah was mighty worried fer you, when Ah woke and saw yeh in that state.” Tears started to form in her eyes as she spoke, “Just what did yeh get yeh self into?”

Rainbow started to explain everything that had happened. When she came to the part where she carried her and had to stop due to the exhaustion, an awkward silence filled the room.
Rainbow Dash knew what had to come next. “So Applejack, do you remember what I said to you last night?”

Applejack looked up at her, the tears that was there just minutes ago dried away, “Every word Rainbow, and Ah remember my response too. Ah meant it all too.” Tears of joy formed in Rainbow Dash’s eyes. “Ah love you Rainbow, it just took an experience like the one last night to show me that, and it made it all stronger when ah looked at yer condition.”

“I love you too, Applejack, I should have told you before, but I was worried about your reaction. I can see that that was foalish of me. And take it easy, I would have done it several times over to save you.”
Silently they both figured that more words were useless at this point, and Applejack rolled onto her side to go back to sleep. She could hear the subtle movement of sheets being ruffled, but thought nothing of it. Until she heard a familiar clip clop sound, and then a body get into bed with her and encompass her in a loving embrace. She leaned into Rainbow’s body and wrapped her hooves around her belly. Rainbow wrapped her front hooves around Applejack. Applejack tightened her grip around Dash. Rainbow Dash winced in pain as the grip around her belly tightened. Applejack quickly pulled away and looked up at her. “Ah’m sorry! “ Rainbow moved her front hooves to Applejacks and pulled them gently around her once more and moved her own hooves around the mare she loved. She tightened her grip and inhaled deeply, finding that apple scent that she loved so much. Lying there together, Rainbow lightly nuzzled Applejack’s neck as sleep overtook them.



The next day they were released from the hospital. By this time Rainbow’s front hoof had healed, but she still had a bandage wrapped around her midsection. Applejack, however, still had a cast on and was instructed to use it the least amount possible for at least a week. This was a problem for Applejack, as it meant that she couldn’t buck apples. That meant that it was up to Big Mac to do his and her work all by himself for a week. “Ah don’t know how Big Mac will be able to handle it all. Ya’ll remember what happened to me when Ah tried to do all the work by myself.”

“Yeah, you sent me flying into the Ponyville Library,” joked Rainbow.

“Ah did say sorry for that, right?”

“Several times in fact.” It was at this point that Rainbow had an idea.

“Hey, Applejack.”

“Yeah?”

“Why don’t I come live with you, that way for the next week I could help with the work in your stead.”

“Yeh think we should move that fast, Ah mean Ah love you and all, but what about telling everypony else?”

“Well, I don’t think that it’s much of a secret anymore,” said Rainbow as thoughts filled her head of how Twilight and the others had found them in the Everfree Forest, and a specific slightly embarrassing instance where Rainbow was found in bed with Applejack just a couple hours ago.

“Yeah, maybe our friends know, but not mah family.”

“I’ll leave it up to you, but I love you, and I am not afraid of walking there with you and telling them everything. Beside, working on the farm is a good excuse if we don’t tell them right away,” she said and put on a confident smile.

A strange confidence filled Applejack as Rainbow spoke; it was as if she was absorbing Rainbow’s confidence just by being near her. “Yer absolutely right Rainbow. Ah’m not ashamed to be with yeh, and Ah don’t care if all of Equestria knows it.”

“Then let’s go, together,” Rainbow stated and walked up next to her and draped a wing over Applejack’s shoulders. With that, Applejack leaned against Rainbow and they walked together to Sweet Apple Acres.

They arrived at Sweet Apple Acres a little after noon. Big Mac was over by the barn finishing up his morning chores. Granny Smith was nowhere in sight, but was most likely inside finishing up lunch. As Big Mac set down the last basket of freshly picked apples he looked over at the two mares coming his way. He cocked and eyebrow at how his sister seemed to lean against the other mare and how Rainbow’s wing was draped over her. Regardless, he shrugged it off and only said, “Uh, mornin’ sis, sorry we couldn’t come get you at the hospital today, but with the apple harvest right around the corner...”

“Yeh don’t need to explain it to me Big Mac, Ah know how much work there is to do. In fact, Ah have something to tell you and Granny Smith before lunch, so finish up and come inside would yeh?.”

“Sure thing sis, be right there.”

Rainbow and Applejack continued into the house, releasing their embrace at this point. Granny Smith was indeed in the kitchen as they entered. The smell of fresh apple pie flowed through the farmhouse. Rainbow followed Applejack into the kitchen, and they confronted Granny Smith who was just about to take a newly baked apple pie out of the oven. “Hey Granny,” said Applejack trotting into the kitchen with Rainbow close behind.

“Oh, Applejack, good to see yeh back on yer hooves. Well all but one at least.” She let out a small chuckle at her comment.

Applejack giggled herself before continuing, “Yeah, all but one… Ah got something to tell you in regards to that.”

Granny smith walked over to the farmhouse table and put the fresh apple pie down and turned her attention to her granddaughter, “Okay, just wait out in the living room, and I’ll be there in a bit.” Applejack nodded, and led Rainbow out into the living room.

As they walked into the living room, Big Mac walked through the front door, and made his way over to his sister, “Okay sis, what’s up?”

“Just come over here and sit down, and once Granny Smith gets here, Ah’ll tell you both.” Big Mac did as he was told, and after a minute or so Granny Smith entered the room, and sat down in her rocking chair.
With both members of her family in the room, Applejack took her place on the opposite side of them, and Rainbow stood right beside her. “Okay, now that yer both here, Ah can say what Ah need to say. As you know the apple harvest is comin’ up. This mean a lot of work needs to be done. However, with this cast on my leg, Ah can’t do nopony any good for at least a week.”

“That’s okay sis, Ah can pick up the slack, no problem.”

“That’s admirable of you Big Mac, but yeh know better than anypony how much work there is to do. It’s too much for even yeh Big Mac. But that’s okay, because Rainbow Dash here was willing to lend us a hoof to help out.”

“That’s great, but we don’t have an extra room for her to stay in. When she stayed here last time, Applebloom was still really little, and was still staying in my room. But now she has her own room,” explained Big Mac.

“Well, that is the other thing Ah would like to mention.” It was an awkward silence, as Applejack had no idea how they would react to this statement. She felt like she was shrinking on the spot. Rainbow seemed to notice, and draped a wing over her side once more. There it was again, the safety and confidence that filled her, she moved closer to Rainbow as if trying to absorb more of it. Applejack looked over at Rainbow and glanced at her, before she turned her attention back to her family.

“Ah’m kinda in love with Rainbow.” She looked down at that moment; she didn’t want to look at their expression. There was no immediate answer to this remark. At first, there was a very confused look on Big Mac and Granny Smith’s faces.

It was Big Mac that broke the silence first. “Well, Ah suppose Ah should have expected it, after Ah saw you walking home together like you were. But Ah can’t say I have a problem with it. Ah’m not going to be the one that is going to tell you who you can or can’t love. If you truly love Miss Rainbow, and are happy with her, then that’s all that matters.” He said, and nodded as to confirm his words.

Applejack eyes lit up and she lifted her gaze from the floor to her brother’s face. “You really mean it, Big Mac?” Applejack had tears forming in her eyes.

“Absolutely, sis.”

All attention then turned to the one pony that hadn’t said anything yet. Granny Smith had a look of intense thought on her face. Only when she realized that everypony was looking at her, did she answer. “Applejack, yer grandfather would strongly disagree with yeh. But, being an old mare like mehself, Ah know that love comes in many forms and shapes. So if you really love Rainbow Dash, I’d say go for it, and to always follow yer heart. Then you can’t go wrong.”

The response was immediate; Applejack ran over to Granny Smith and wrapped her in a big hug. Tears were streaming down her cheeks, “Thank yeh Granny, thank yeh so much.”

This began a series of changes at Sweet Apple Acres. Rainbow sold her cloud house to another Pegasus in town. Rainbow didn’t know this, but apparently her house was highly contested among the other Pegasi in town. So she was able to sell it for a fairly high price. After that, she moved in with Applejack. The first week was hard, since Rainbow Dash had to do all of Applejack’s chores. It gave her a new appreciation of exactly how hard Applejack worked every day. After her cast came off, it became a lot easier. Rainbow Dash continued to work on the farm permanently after that. This of course got the work done a lot earlier, and Rainbow Dash and Applejack were able to spend a lot more time together. These days were the happiest days of both mares’ lives.

After another two weeks, Applejack could see Rainbow’s vigor start to diminish. She still worked every day, and spent the evenings with Applejack. But she seemed to be downtrodden, and more and more distanced from her, and it got worse every day. Finally one day Applejack woke up, and Rainbow Dash wasn’t beside her, she was gone. It was strange, because she woke Rainbow Dash up every morning. Rainbow wasn’t exactly an early riser, so it had been Applejack’s job to get her up, so they could work. She moved her hoof to the other mare’s side of the bed. “Not even warm, so she left some time ago then.” Applejack looked around the room, as if she expected Rainbow to be in the room somewhere, but found nothing at all. ‘Maybe she already went out, to get work started,’ she thought. But, as she got up and went outside, there was still no sign of the rainbow maned pegasus.

After about an hour, Applejack noticed a rainbow streak across the sky, heading for the farmhouse. And Applejack watched it, as it entered the open window of the room they shared. Applejack needed to know what was going on, and didn’t hesitate as she galloped as fast as she could to the farmhouse.

As she walked over to the door of the room, she could hear crying coming from inside. Applejack knocked on the door, but didn’t really wait for a response. As she walked in, Rainbow looked up from the bed she was lying on. She had streams of tears running down her face, and tried to hide something as Applejack entered. Applejack walked over to her, “Rainbow, what’s wrong? What happened?”

Rainbow closed her eyes and tried to sniff the tears away. “I didn’t want you to see me like this Applejack, but I suppose it was inevitable. This happens every year, and with the two of us living together, you were bound to find out.”

Applejack thought for a moment, and it seems that she was right; she had never seen Rainbow on this particular day before. She looked back at her lover. “Find out about what?” she said in the warmest voice she could.

Rainbow looked up at Applejack, her tears were triumphant as they kept flowing down her cheeks. “Applejack, do you know what today is?”

Applejack thought really hard, and then it finally hit her. “Rainbow, seven years ago today is the day we met, but why are you crying?”

“Applejack, the day I met you was the best day of my life, but it was also the worst. You remember that you said I was lying about the reason I crashed into your tree, and I didn’t want to talk about it. And you told me that I didn’t need to talk about it if I didn’t want to. For seven years you never once asked me to talk about it again, but now that we are together, I feel like you deserve to know what really happened that day.” Applejack didn’t answer, instead she simply sat down on the bed next to the mare she loved, and snuggled closer to her to let her know that she was there for her. Applejack signaled for her to continue.
“I was a fairly rebellious youth, as you could probably imagine. There were times that I would leave home for days on end, it’s not that I didn’t love my family or anything; I just didn’t like the feeling of being tied down anywhere. Well seven years ago I got one of those sudden urges to leave, and I went to Manehatten for about three days. On the third day, I got a visit from one of my friends from Cloudsdale, he said I needed to come home right away. It was seven years ago today, that I got back to Cloudsdale. Seven years since I got news, that nopony wants to hear. The manager of the weather factory, which is where my parents worked, was waiting for me as I returned to my house. I didn’t see my parents anywhere, so I asked him what was going on. He sat me down, and said that something had happened at the factory. There was an incident at the weather factory that caused a freak lightning storm, in the area of the factory where the Cumulonimbus clouds were created. My parents rushed in to try to take care of the problem, but in their attempt to quell the growing storm, they were both hit by lightning bolts. My parents were dead. My parents died and I was away on one of my stupid getaways. I suddenly had the urge to just fly, fly and never look back. So that is what I did, I flew farther and faster than I ever had before, and as I flew there was just one thing on my mind. I never got to say goodbye, I never told them just how much I loved them, I...I...” At this point Rainbow could no longer continue. Her crying was coming too hard and too fast for her to speak. Applejack just sat speechless; there was nothing she could say to comfort the crying Pegasus. Then and idea sprung into her head.

With Rainbow crying next to her, Applejack leaned over and kissed her. They had been living together for the past few weeks, but this was their first kiss. Applejack could feel Rainbow’s tears fall on to her nose as she savored the taste of her lover’s tongue. After a moment, she broke off the kiss, and just stared at Rainbow. Almost immediately, Rainbow leaned toward Applejack, and stole another kiss. They pushed together, and as they kissed, both mares wished deep down inside that this moment would last for an eternity.

Eventually the kiss did indeed end, and by this time Rainbow had more or less calmed down. “Do you feel better now Rainbow?” asked Applejack. “Y...yeah, thank you Applejack.” She looked down at the bed, and she shoved something into Applejack’s hoofs. It was a news clipping. “Two Ponies Dead After Freak Factory Accident,” that was the headline that was emblazoned across the top of it. “This came out a few days later, and I kept it with me ever since. Every year on this day, I take it out and look at it. That’s why I’ve been so depressed this past week, I knew this date was coming up. But today I woke up and realized that I left the clipping back at my cloud home. I kind of freaked out and flew there immediately to go and retrieve it. Luckily, the Pegasus that bought my old house hadn’t moved in quite yet. That is where I was this morning.”

“There is something Ah want yeh to remember, Rainbow. Ah love yeh, just as much as Ah know yer parents loved yeh. And Ah know that they knew yeh loved them too. This obsessing, year after year, just makes things worse. What happened was bad, but yeh need to grieve at first, and move on. Yeh have been running away from the past fer seven years. It is time to focus on the future, on us.” Applejack wrapped Rainbow in a warm embrace, and gave her another kiss. “From now on Rainbow, today will not be a day of mourning. Instead, Ah want to think of this day as a happy day, because it is the day Ah met the pony Ah love. We don’t need to do any work today, Rainbow, let’s just take the day off and spend it together.”