• Published 27th Oct 2015
  • 230 Views, 1 Comments

Clouds On The Horizon - Xhadow



The new teacher is...different. There's just something about him that...it's like he's been here before, like he knows exactly what's going to happen.

  • ...
 1
 230

8:00-16:04

My day didn't start well, and looking back that might've been more my fault than anything else. Everything started when Cheerilee and I checked out that anomaly in the Ponyville post office.

"There's nothing here, Sleuth," Cheerilee glanced from the map to the wall several times, "it's just part of the wall. it's entirely possible that Rarity put the addition in just for stylized effect. She is a designer after all."

"Of clothing not architecture," I sighed running my hooves over the wall where...something should be. "Impossible. It's got to be here!"

"What is it anyway?"

I sighed in defeat, "I don't know. But it just seems like there should be something, doesn't it?"

"This isn't Daring Doo," Cheerilee commented, "not everypony's life is an adventure. Now come on, or we'll be late for class."

I stayed behind, taking one last, long look at where...something should be. There was something wrong with the wall, it was too...blank.

I would've put a door here I decided, settling the matter for now I put on my satchel and started the walk to the school house.

"You would not believe the trials I've encountered this morning," I groaned as I finally got into the classroom. I glared out the window at the rampaging thunderstorm for a while before starting the class with the pledges to the princesses.

For some reason the pledge to Celestia made me sick, but I had no idea why.

When we finished our patriotic duty I turned to the blackboard and sketched out several runic spells. "Now, if anypony can translate and cast these they'll get no homework for the next week.

The conversations in the room died as all the students studied the board, and pulled my spare notes from the desk.

About five minutes in Sweetie Belle approached my desk, "Um, teacher?"

"Did you figure it out?" I asked, not looking up from my notes.

"Yes," she nodded once, "but, these are time spells. Not even the most powerful unicorns can master time..."

"Good job, Sweetie Bell," I cheered turning to the rest of the class, "Nopony, for as long as I've been teaching has been able to solve this puzzle." ...and now I need a new one.

"Does that mean...?"

"Yes, no homework for Sweetie Belle," I erased the board and put up the assignment, "For the rest of you: pages 12-34 and the balancing equations for Friday."

The class let out a collective groan as a few students started on the assignment.

I noticed Sweetie Belle hanging out around my desk.

"Anything else?"

"Oh, yes. I was wondering if you could show me how to work number four, you see I asked Twilight about it, but she wasn't sure." Sweetie Belle offered me her book.

I took it from her and copied the equation onto the blackboard. "This is a light spell, first off so it's got to be treated like raw energy."

I separated the stages of the spell and studied it a little closer, "No...this is a life spell...but what's the effect?"

"That's exactly what Twilight and I couldn't find," Sweetie Belle informed with a slight hop.

"Did anypony solve number four on last week's assignment?" I asked the class without breaking concentration on the spell. "Hm...it's more technological than magic, almost like it's...solid energy, but that's impossible that much power would level Canterlot."

"So...what does that mean?" Sweetie Belle asked, struggling to comprehend my shattered thoughts.

"It has no effect, it's just raw energy at it's base form. Something like this could power the world for," I scratched out a few equations, "a week, easily. Something like this, I doubt even the combined power of the princesses could match. This spell's impossible, take it off the assignment."

The bell rang, leaving me staring blankly at the spell in an empty classroom, 'Something like this wouldn't work, even in theory. If a unicorn tried to bind this it'd kill them instantly and still have enough power to level a large city.

I looked at the foals outside the window as they enjoyed their recess and realized something, "Sweetie Belle has contact with Twilight Sparkle. That's my way in."

Author's Note:

If you've figured it out, good for you! I'm so glad...*sigh* I need a life. Safety's off, post theories in the comments.