• Published 25th Feb 2015
  • 2,147 Views, 48 Comments

Friendship in Disguise - Tumbleweed



Twilight Sparkle had thought she'd seen the last of Grimlock- and of the Transformers in general. She was wrong. Now, what starts as a simple diplomatic mission soon spirals out of control as an ancient war threatens to come to Equestria!

  • ...
2
 48
 2,147

Chapter 5

Canterlot Castle's War Room hadn't been used for its named purpose in centuries.

Technically speaking, the War Room still remained unused, as it was simply too small for the Autobots to enter. And so, a massive map table (more of a raised platform, so the Autobots wouldn't have to bend over as far to see it) had been set up in the middle of the South Ballroom. Rarity had even taken the opportunity to swap out some of the tapestries for camouflage netting, and moved in a few suits of ancient armor “for a properly martial ambiance,” as she put it. Between the seven Autobots, three princesses, and a good dozen other ponies of various importance, even the South War Room (nee' South Ballroom) had become rather crowded.

“WE MUST STRIKE OUR FOES WHILE WE STILL CAN!” Princess Luna slammed an angry hoof upon the map table. “WE SHALL CRUSH THE DECEPTICONS, SEE THEM DRIVEN BEFORE US, AND REVEL IN THE SWEET SOUND OF THEIR LAMENTATIONS!”

“Me Grimlock like her.”

Optimus Prime held up a hand. “There is no, 'we,' Princess Luna. I cannot in good conscience allow any ponies to get involved in this war.”

“It's too late for that.” Princess Celestia said, far calmer (and quieter) than her sister. “This isn't the first time Equestria has faced a crisis, and it won't be the last, either. I ask that you respect me, respect my Kingdom enough to allow us to help in any way we can. And if today's earlier skirmish was any indication, there appear to be more of them then there are of you. You need our help, Optimus, whether you like it or not.”

“You don't have to do this, Princess.”

“You're wrong.” Princess Celestia narrowed her eyes. “I do. If our positions were reversed, if one of my old enemies, of which there are many, were to threaten your world, your people, would you do any different?”

“Very well,” Optimus Prime's masked visage remained impassive, “but strictly in a non-combat capacity.”

“I can't promise that. I won't promise that. It's my responsibility, my honor as a Princess to defend my subjects. So long as Equestria is in danger, and so long as I still draw breath, I will fight. ”

“FIGHT, AND TRIUMPH!”

“Me Grimlock really like her.”

“Does she always talk like that?” Bumblebee asided to Rainbow Dash from their corner of the table. “Lady's gonna blow out my audio receptors at this rate.”

“Just when she gets excited.” Rainbow Dash said. “She's...kinda metal like that.”

“Funny, she looks organic to me.”

“Maaaaybe we're getting ahead of ourselves.” Twilight Sparkle spoke up. “I mean, do we even know where the Decepticons are? Or what they want? Surely, they couldn't have come all this way across the galaxy just to fight you.”

“You'd be surprised, Princess.” Optimus Prime said, weary. “But you're right- the Decepticons have probably set up base somewhere. We need to find it. Cosmos, we'll need you to act as our eyes in the sky.”

“Figures,” Cosmos grumbled, “I just barely got to this planet, and now it's back to the black. Story of my life.”

“There'll be plenty of time to socialize once the fighting's done, Cosmos.” Optimus Prime patted the shorter robot on the shoulder. “How soon can you get into position?”

“Not long at all. I'll radio you once I've reached a stable orbit.” Cosmos transformed into his saucer mode, and zipped out of an open window with surprising speed.

“I'll send out some of my own scouts as well.” Princess Celestia said, and raised a hoof before Optimus Prime could object. “They're smaller than your troops, Optimus, they know the terrain better, and there's a lot more of them. Only volunteers, of course.”

“The Wonderbolts are ready to fly.” Captain Spitfire spoke up from the other side of the table.

“Oooh! Oooh! Me too!” Rainbow Dash took to the air by reflex. “Pick me! Pick me! I volunteer to do whatever the Wonderbolts are doing!”

“Just remember, this is a scouting mission.” Celestia said, coolly. “Only observe. Do not engage the enemy.”

Captain Spitfire saluted. “Of course, Princess. As soon as we find the enemy, you'll know.” She took to the air and flew out the same window Cosmos did. Rainbow Dash followed, nearly stumbling over her own wings in eager anticipation.

Princess Celestia nodded her approval, and turned her attention back to the map. “As for the rest of us, all we can do is prepare our defenses. I've already sent messengers to warn the rest of the Kingdom, as well as the Crystal Empire.”

“I've fought Galvatron long enough to know how he thinks,” Optimus Prime said. “His pride won't let him move on to the rest of the planet until he's fought me.”

“So while we don't know where he is,” said Celestia, “we know where he'll strike.”

“Just not how.”

“We'll be ready for him, either way.” Princess Celestia raised her head, scanning the faces around the table. “Princess Twilight, I'm placing you in charge of the civilian evacuation. When the Decepticons strike, I don't want anypony caught in the crossfire.”

“Evacuate Canterlot?” Twilight sputtered, “but...there's thousands of ponies living here! The logistics alone-”

“-are why we need the most organized Princess in Equestria to handle them.”

Twilight blinked, as if a light switch had suddenly been thrown in her head. “Oh. Oh! When you put it that way, it sounds kind of fun! Well, you know, except for the terror of an oncoming army of alien space robots. You can count on me, Princess! I'll make this the fastest, most efficient, most orderly evacuation ever!” She nodded, resolute. “Spike! Get some paper! We've got checklists to write!”

Celestia allowed herself a proud, maternal smile before she looked over the table again. “Luna, you're in charge of inspecting our defenses.”

“THEY SHALL BE IMPENETRABLE!”

“Everypony, you have your orders.” Princess Celestia planted both her front hooves on the table and leaned forward. “Equestria is going to war.”


Miles upon miles away, Galvatron brooded on a hastily-carved throne of rock. A pair of green-hulled robots hovered about him, patching the holes Grimlock had chewed into his armor. They weren't the only robots at work- while a rough throne room had been carved out of the stone of a barren mountain, a dozen Decepticons still rushed this way and that, building their evil citadel, block by block.

“Cyclonus!” Galvatron's voice echoed off the walls of the crater. “Report!”

As bidden, Cyclonus crossed the rough-hewn floor and sunk to one knee before the throne. “The Constructicons have outdone themselves, Lord Galvatron. While we distracted the Autobots, they were able to build this base of operations.”

“Good, good...” Galvatron steepled his fingers, “and what of the....special project?” he said with barely contained glee.

“We have yet to find a suitable energy source, Lord.” Cyclonus said without flinching. “We must wait.”

“WHAT?! How dare you mock me with your insolence!”

“Not insolence, merely fact, Lord Galvatron. The energon we took from the organics' primitive energy grid was barely enough to cover the fuel spent in our assault.”

“If I wanted an accountant, I would've summoned Ratbat! I'm giving you just one chance to redeem yourself, Cyclonus, or I'll melt you where you stand!”

“I kneel before you, Lord Galvatron.” Cyclonus didn't take his optics off the floor.

“Semantics! Now, do you have any good news for me?”

“Soundwave's spies have reported in.” Cyclonus raised a hand, and a boxy blue figure stepped out of the shadows around the edge of the crater. A red mechanical vulture perched comfortably on his shoulder.

“Laserbeak, report.” Soundwave said in expressionless monotone. The red bird cawed, then sprang into the air. The panel on Soundwave's chest levered open, and Laserbeak transformed into a matching rectangular shape, sliding in effortlessly.

Soundwave's reels began to spin, and the gathered Decepticons listened intently as Laserbeak recounted every word of Celestia's war council.

“Well done, Cyclonus! You get to live another day!” Galvatron declared, triumphant. “Once again, the Autobots' sentimentality shall be their undoing! Without this so-called 'Princess Celestia' to lead them, the organics pitiful defenses shall crumble!” Galvatron stood suddenly, causing the Constructicons patching his armor to leap back in fear. Galvatron ignored them, and smiled with maniacal glee.

“It all comes together now! Bring Princess Celestia to me! Alive! I want to see the expression on her face as her pitiful kingdom burns!”