• Published 23rd Feb 2015
  • 2,072 Views, 120 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 4: Alicorn - Jeweled Pen



Book four of the Avatar series, with Discord free and the story under his control, what danger awaits our heroes?

  • ...
7
 120
 2,072

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 12: You'll Rainbow Dash to my side

Rainbow sighed in mild annoyance as the cart, at least she assumed it was a cart, bumped gently under her. They were going soooo slooooow. She could barely even feel the wind in her mane, not to mention they had been traveling for days. If she could fly and see, she'd have been there in a day. Possibly only a few hours. She was just that awesome. But no, they had to go so incredibly slow, around things, over things, take breaks, it was sooooo boring. Almost as bad as one of Twilight's speeches.

Even worse because all of her friends had been too busy to come. They promised to visit in a month, of course. But her companions weren't very talkative. They just marched along, silently pulling the cart. She'd tried having a few conversations, but all they seemed to do was answer questions. It was pure torture.

On the up side, they would be there soon, or so she was told. All she had to do was wait. But waiting had never been her strong suit. She felt as if the world was going by slowly, like molasses slowly dripping down from a tree. Every second was an eternity of boredom. She couldn't even sleep any more, there was just a point where the body said 'nope, not tired, no more sleep' so she couldn't use it to get rid of the time. At least most of the pain was gone, though her right wing couldn't really flap anymore without sending sharp spikes of pain through it.

When they'd left, Fluttershy had managed to get out of bed just enough to say good bye. That, or they'd carted her down. She couldn't really tell and hadn't had the nerve to ask. All she could do was feel more and more guilty for the chaos and pain she'd caused.

“We're almost there,” a voice said.

“Thanks,” she grumbled softly. Was this really what her life was going to be? Sitting around or sleeping all day? As her friends continued their war efforts, she'd be trapped forever just thinking about her glory days and how they were gone forever? Just the thought of it made her sick to her stomach. Not that there was anything she could do about it.

The cart pulled through the gates and she held her breath. Surely there would be some kind of celebration for her arrival, right? She was one of the heroes of the world. She'd given everything up for these ponies.

There wasn't even a small cheer. She could hear ponies walking about, talking, but none of them seemed focused on the cart. She felt a small flicker of annoyance in her stomach. She was one of the saviors of the world, sure she was a bit helpless now, but that didn't mean she wasn't still awesome. You'd think she'd at least get a few cheers or something. Had everypony forgotten about her already? Now that the world was saved was she just a background character, unneeded and unheeded by the rest of the world?

“Ah! Rainbow Dash! Such a pleasure to have you!” a voice called out when the cart finally stopped. It took her a few moments to recognize it as Fancy's.

“Hello again,” she mumbled as she got to her hooves. She'd been laying down so long that she was a bit wobbly. She tried reaching for the rails, but her hooves missed and she toppled out of the cart with a shriek. She laid on the ground, the blow to her pride far worse than the blow from the fall.

“Oh my! Are you okay?” A pair of hooves slowly helped her to her hooves. “I wish I had known you'd become so clumsy, I'd have had my servants help you down.”

“It's fine, I was just a bit--”

“Nonsense! Come! Here, hmmm... hold on.” She let out a yelp as she was pushed into some kind of weird, moving chair.

“I can walk, really. I just--”

“Nonsense. You are one of the saviors of our realm, the least we can do is cart you around where you're needed.”

“But--”

“Think nothing of it.”

She let out a sigh and finally gave in. She felt more humiliation flood her cheeks as they carted her around. She still had hooves, she could still walk. She was getting better, too. She rarely walked into walls anymore. All that was happening though was that she was feeling more and more helpless. Useless. She was led to another room, she guessed it was inside judging by how warm it was. Also, something smelled very good.

“Here, a feast in honor of you joining me, Rainbow Dash,” the king said. She sniffed the air again and licked her lips. Well, maybe this wouldn't be so bad.

A few minutes later she changed her mind. It was horrible. They insisted on cutting up her food for her, gently feeding her, checking to make sure she didn't choke. She knew how to fend for herself but they treated her like a newborn foal. Still, she bottled up her anger and remained calm, letting them do as they pleased. After all, they were just trying to help her. It wasn't like they were trying to make her feel useless. She just wished they'd listen when she told them she had it handled. At least the rest of her stay probably wouldn't be so bad. They'd learn she had things handled.

------

Rainbow was wrong. So very, very wrong. She couldn't learn the layout of the castle, no matter how she tried. The main problem being every time she took so much as two steps, ponies were suddenly there to guide her and show her the way. She couldn't even take a bath without three servants suddenly appearing to help her do things. She tried dismissing them, they ignored her. She'd even snapped and yelled at them. It had only bought her about five minutes of peace. They didn't even get upset, they just said 'oh, you're having a hard time. We understand.' She'd finally just given in and let them do as they pleased, pulling her around the castle, cutting up her food for her, even reading stories to her when she was bored. She wanted to slam her head into the wall.

Even worse, she was starting to get fat and slow. Now, sure, for some ponies that was fine. But she was an athlete. She was all about being aerodynamic, but without being able to fly, run or do much of anything, she was slowly putting on the pounds. She was going completely mad and she was on the edge of snapping and sending a pony flying out the window. She was sure there would be five or six ponies to catch them, too. But it would all be better soon. Her friends were finally coming to visit her, just like they'd promised. The month had been horrible, but it was just a month. She'd talk with her friends, hang out, have fun, and it would all be worthwhile.

She waited in her room, doing the occasional small exercise. She couldn't do anything too loud or strenuous or five ponies would burst into her room to 'help' her. She'd tried doing jumping jacks and you'd think the roof had caved in on her by the way they reacted. So now she stuck mostly to sit-ups and things that didn't require her hooves to touch the ground much. What she wanted to do was spread out her wings and jump from the window and streak across the sky as far and fast as she could. But that would likely just end with her smeared against the great wall, with a dozen pegasi trying to help her. Even if her wing was working properly it would have been near impossible without any idea of how far away the wall was. Going straight up might work, though.

A light tap on her door made her quickly jump onto the bed. Her knee bumped the post, but aside from a minor cringed she suppressed the pain. “I'm in here!”

There was a sudden opening of the door, followed by a quick intake of breath. “Rainbow!” her friends called out. It was the most magnificent sound she'd ever heard. Her friends were here to see her. She was soon swept up in their embraces as the words spread out from her friends. The post war efforts were going well, peace was established. Ponies were getting along again and Twilight was doing her duties as the Avatar. Pinkie was traveling across the world as a party master, teaching her arts. Applejack was back home, of course, Sweet Apple Acres was doing wonderful. Fluttershy had returned home as well and had started a small home for all the ponies and pets who had lost parents and caretakers in the war. Rarity was even doing wonders as the new ruler of the Water Nation. Spike was helping lead all the dragons.

And Rainbow was standing still, her life unchanged. She was back where she was a few months ago, no, she was lower now. They had no need for her. Not now. She smiled and listened to their stories, their adventures, the new ponies they met, the things they were doing. They had lives, goals, futures. She would be spending the rest of her life being waited on, slowly gaining weight as her wings turned to useless husks.

“Is somethin' wrong?” Applejack asked.

“What? No, nothing. Nothing at all. I just... have a lot on my mind.” She shuffled a bit before sighing. “Actually, no. There is something. I... Twilight, I'm going mad here. I need something to do. Anything. I want to help.”

“But you've already helped so much,” the alicorn said softly. “You've given even your eye sight to help. I don't think we need you to do any more.”

“But I need me to do more. I can't just... sit here. Doing nothing. It's not me. I'm not made for this life style.”

“Ah thought yah loved your long naps?” Applejack asked.

“I did! I do! But... this is nothing BUT naps. Sleeping all day, waiting for a meal. There has to be something I can do for the world. Anything. Something with actual movement. Bending. Effort. A nap means nothing if it never ends.”

Twilight sighed softly. “I'll see what I can do. I can't make any promises, but maybe I can see about... well, something. It might take a while.”

“Thank you, that's all I ask,” she said softly. The rest of the trip was at least better. Twilight was one of the smartest ponies she knew, she'd have to find something for her to do. Anything. That would get her back in shape. When they left, she happily waved until long after they were gone. At least, one of the servants said they were gone. After that, she set herself into motion.

Who knew how little time she had left? She set herself back into training. While she had to start slow, she was finding new ways to get the servants to actually listen to her. Sure, they involved rather harsh application of air bending, but she had to do what she had to do. They at least stopped trying to put pillows all over the area she was running. She also started exuding a bit more force and demanding more privacy, sometimes having to blow the ponies out of her room. But it didn't matter to her now. She was finally feeling like she had a drive. A purpose. A goal. Life wasn't going to just be one big nap until the end. She started to feel as if everything was going to be okay again, as she collapsed into her bed each night, half the time her muscles burning. She'd even tripped and scraped her knees a few times, she could barely believe she had missed that feeling so much.

It was taking hard work and dedication, but she was going to be ready when Twilight finally came. It didn't matter what task was laid before her, she'd handle it. Easy.

------

“N-nothing?” Rainbow asked, her voice quivering. It had been two months since their last meeting and this time it was just Twilight. Fluttershy and Pinkie had made a few more visits, but apparently the big visit was just a one time thing. When she'd finally heard that Twilight was on her way, she'd nearly jumped out a window. Instead she'd accidentally ran into a wall. But that was the first time in weeks!

“I'm sorry, Rainbow,” the alicorn said with a gentle sigh. “There's just nothing for you to do. I asked around, but there's just nothing available that isn't too dangerous with your handicap. The things that aren't dangerous you might mess up and cause problems or find too boring. I'll keep looking but--”

Rainbow frowned. “What do you mean, 'mess up'? I'm one of the fastest, most agile ponies you know!”

“Yes, you are. But you can't see your hoof in front of your face. I was thinking about trying to let you tutor some beginning air benders, but what if they messed up or needed help? You might end up hurting them or not being there to help them if they got in over their heads. I guess if you had an assistant, but in that case you might as well have the assistant teach them. They could... errr...”

Rainbow ground a hoof into the ground. “They could at least see, right? Is that all? Just because I'm blind you don't think I'm good for anything now?”

“What? No! I just think it's best for everypony if you just--”

“If I what? Just lay on a cushion for the rest of my life and wait to die? Watching everypony pass me by? I'm not helpless! There are other ponies out there who are blind, they get by!”

“Well, yes. But they have to work at it and do things they don't like. You just want to have your dreams served on a platter--” Twilight's voice cut off quickly.

Rainbow's mouth fell open. “You... don't think I'll work at it?”

“No, that's not what I meant. I just meant... well...”

“Well what?”

“You like running, flying, things like that. But you can't do them like you used to, not now. You're grounded, okay? I'm trying to help you, but there's only so much I can do. Why can't you just be happy with what you have? You can run around and waste your time however you like. When other ponies are blind they have to deal with it, find ways to support themselves. They can't just depend on other ponies to feed and take care of them.”

Rainbow went completely still, before shaking her head. “Twilight... go.”

“Wait, Rainbow, I didn't mean--”

“No, I know exactly what you mean. You were very clear about that.”

“Wait, Rainbow, please I don't think you should--”

“GO!” Rainbow screamed, before turning and galloping away. She had to be careful to not run into anything, but she made it through the halls without incident and slammed her door. She jumped onto her bed and pulled the blankets close, anger bubbling within her.

“Stupid... Twilight. Just because I'm not as smart as her or... I can do plenty without seeing. I'm awesome, amazing. I know all about... all kinds of things.” She shook her head and sighed. “I can get around the castle without slamming into walls or anything, so I can adapt. I'm twice the fighter of anyone of Fancy's soldiers. I don't deserve this,” she said before slamming her head into the pillow as tears formed in her eyes. “I-I'm blind, I'm not useless. I could... if they'd just g-give me a chance. Just... let me try. If they'd only let me...” She gave a soft cry. It wasn't fair. None of this was fair. She was Rainbow Dash, one of the greatest, most awesome ponies around. She'd done so much, tried so hard. And what did she have to show for it? A life of pampering and relaxing? She didn't want this! She'd never wanted this. Sure, she liked naps, but that wasn't all she did. All she wanted from life. She wanted to fly, to soar, to perform tricks and show everypony how awesome she was.

Now she was just a has-been. Outdated. Obsolete. Rarity would probably call her antiquated. Yeah, she knew some fancy words too. There had been too much going on for her to even enjoy being a 'has'. She reached up and touched her neck. This wasn't fair at all. She'd always been loyal to her friends. Now when she needed them most, they couldn't help her at all. No, they wouldn't help her. Fine then.

“If they don't want to help me, I-I don't want to help them. I could have done so much, I still can do so much without them. I'll... I don't know. I'll figure out something.” She rolled off the bed. She was blind, but she wasn't helpless. She'd be bucked if they thought she'd spend the rest of her life living off the charity of others. She'd find her place even if it killed her.

------

“Are yah sure yah wanna do this, miss? Ah mean... it's hard work an' all, with your... disadvantage, it might be a bit much.”

“I'll be fine,” Rainbow said with a shake of her head. “I'm an air bender. I could literally do this blind folded if I wasn't, well, blind.”

She heard a soft sigh and then the sound of hooves disappearing in the distance. She then glanced up, not that she could see anything. But she'd been told what to do, so it was easy. She took a few steps forward to feel the mill, before slowly trotting back and turning towards it. She began flapping her wings and sending slow bursts of wind out. The sound of rubbing wood and grinding metal soon filled the air and she sighed.

Making wind for windmills wasn't exactly the most... glorious of jobs, but it was work. She could feel sweat building up around her wings and the pain as muscles and bones that hadn't been working in ages began moving. There was a bit of pain from the damaged wing especially, but she ignored it. She wasn't flying, moving a bit of wind like this was more than easy enough for her not to risk something. More importantly, it was something she could actually do. It made her feel good, useful. Like she was finally doing things her way and had control. She didn't need her friends, she didn't need anypony. When she went to bed that night she felt relieved and strong, once again. She'd done it. She was exhausted, but she was standing on her own four hooves. Taking care of herself and not wasting her life away. Maybe she should try writing a book or something, too. Normally she left those kinds of things up to Twilight, but who knew? It might be pretty good. She was just full of excitement.

------

Weeks turned to months and slowly into years. She went from job to job, using her air bending where ever she went. Flight was still beyond her, but her wings were growing powerful as ever and she was having no trouble keeping up with whatever each new job required. Her 'friends' still visited her from time to time, though they were few and far between. She was getting more and more frustrated as they tried to tell her to come back, to stop pushing herself. That they were worried about her and wanted her to be safe.

That just mad her more angry. They didn't really care about her, they just felt guilty because she was hurt. They just wanted her to be with the king so she'd be 'safe' and out of the way. That way they could go through their lives without thinking about her at all. Well, buck that. She hoped they spent every day of the rest of their lives thinking about her and feeling guilty for what they did. She was blind, that didn't make her useless and she'd sooner jump off a cloud than let herself be treated as if she was. She flapped her wings and sent another burst of wind out, rewarding herself with the sound of clouds exploding.

“Rainbow!” a voice suddenly rang out, making her freeze. She let out a growl when she realized who it belonged to.

“What do you want, Twilight?”

“We need your help! There's been more problems in the Spirit World and--”

“And what? How could you need my help? I'm blind and helpless, aren't I? Maybe you should try asking one of Fancy's servants? They seem to have nothing better to do,” Rainbow snapped.

“We don't need you to put yourself in danger, we just need you to use your element. Please, it'll be quick and easy and--”

“And then you can just go back to ignoring me, right? 'Poor, helpless Rainbow Dash, better just have her stand there so she doesn't scuff a hoof while we do the fighting', right? No. Just do it without me.”

“Rainbow, please, I--”

“Don't!” Rainbow closed her eyes and after a few seconds she felt the element form around her neck. She reached up and yanked it from her neck, before tossing it towards Twilight's voice.

“Ow!”

“Take it. Find somepony else to be your little Element of Harmony. I'm obviously not good enough anymore for this.”

“But I... but...”

“GO!” Rainbow yelled, before turning and walking off. It took her a few seconds to find the door to the small place she was staying in, but once she did she slammed it shut behind her. There was a few moments of pounding on the door, before the alicorn gave up. Rainbow walked to her bed and dropped down on it, rolling onto her back.

It figured. Only time Twilight really visited her anymore was when she was needed. They didn't even want her, they just wanted her element. To have her hide in the background while they did all the work. Well, that only worked before, because she was new to being blind. Now she knew what she was doing. She could navigate, walk without tripping, even fly and land a bit. She knew when ponies were coming by and could even identify them half the time by the way their hooves fell, if she knew the ponies. She wasn't some helpless foal that needed to be held and cuddled and she was tired of being treated like she was.

She was Rainbow Dash. One of the greatest air benders to ever exist. She rolled onto her side and hugged the pillow to her chest. She didn't need them, didn't want them to need her. So why did it hurt so much turning them away like that?

------

“RAINBOW!” Twilight's voice shook her from her stupor, making her sit up. She let out a groan before rolling back over.

“Go away!” she yelled back.

“Please, Rainbow, listen to us. We... we need to talk,” Fluttershy's voice came out.

There was a pause before the pegasus slowly rolled out of bed. Twilight was one thing, that mare was just horrible and betrayed her. But... Fluttershy was different. Even though she barely visited too, there was no way there was a cruel bone in her body. Besides, her worrying about Rainbow was at least normal. She was the kind of mare to panic over a small scrape on the leg, let alone getting blinded. It didn't sound as annoying coming from her. She trotted to the door and pulled it open. “What do you-- gah!” Suddenly two pairs of hooves enveloped her.

“You're okay! We were so worried!” Twilight's voice rang out in her ear. “I thought, well, when I got here I didn't see the element or anything. It's all so... different from mine and Fluttershy's.”

“What are you talking about?” Rainbow asked, stumbling back from the hug. “Get off me!”

“Oh, right, sorry,” Twilight said as one of the pairs of hooves pulled off from her. A moment later the other pair did.

“Sorry,” Fluttershy squeaked softly.

“What do you want, anyway? I told you to go! I gave you my element, just find somepony else to deal with this. I'm done!” Rainbow snapped in what she assumed was Twilight's direction.

“W-what? Gave me your...” Twilight's voice trailed off and she took a deep breath. “Okay, I need you to listen to me. I know this is going to sound strange, but none of this is real. Discord won, he beat us. He's trapped us all in our own little worlds. I was trapped in a world where you were all dead and Fluttershy... well, Fluttershy was trapped in some kind of world filled with fear and darkness.”

“I-it's true,” the other pegasus' voice said.

“So yes, none of this is true. You have to come with us so we can escape back to the real world. You're in Cloudsdale right now and the others are trying to keep Trixie and her forces distracted while we release you.”

Rainbow went still for a moment. “Wow. That's... unbelievable.”

“I know, it's a lot to take--”

“I mean, you'd go this far just to trick me? Make up some stupid story about how all this is fake? Of all the stupid lies you could think of, that was the best one you could come up with?”

“W-what? No, I--”

“How about it captured one of our friends? Or even Fluttershy here? Have her pretend to be hurt. I'm just 'dumb, helpless Rainbow', right? So that means I'd HAVE to buy whatever you said, regardless of the situation. She could be standing here completely fine, but I'd totally believe it if she said ow every few seconds. Right?”

“I-I don't think your dumb or helpless,” Twilight said weakly. “Please, you have to believe me. This is all part of Discord's trick. He's trying to play us against each other and--”

“OUT!” Rainbow screamed, stomping her hooves. “GET OUT! I NEVER WANT TO SEE YOU AGAIN!” She flapped her wings and sent the air flying forward. There was a shriek, followed by silence. She slammed the door and stomped back to her bed, collapsing on it. “Stupid idiots. As if they'd... as if I'd buy something so stupid.” She dropped back on her bed. “As if I'd... let them use me like that. Did they really think I'd fall for such a silly story and come help them? Are they really that desperate for my element?”

She hugged the pillow to her stomach and sighed. “Do... they really need me that bad? Are they in that much trouble? Is this spirit really that big a threat?” She chewed on her lower lip before shaking her head. “No. If they really need my help they can come here and ask for my forgiveness. No, beg. I'm done helping them. I'm done,” she told herself, over and over.

The pillow was tightened and she listened intently, waiting for the sound of hooves against the door. If they really needed her help, they'd come back to her. They'd come again. They'd have to. They couldn't just let the world fall apart, could they?

She shook her head and slowly fell back asleep. It didn't matter, she didn't need them. They just thought she was helpless, too. She wouldn't help them no matter how much they begged.

------

A scream woke her up, making her sit up in bed. She whipped her head about, listening intently for anything. But there was nothing. It was completely silent. She would have sworn she'd heard her friends screaming, crying. Calling for her. She slid off the bed and slowly walked towards the door, pushing it open.

There weren't any explosions, no screams, no crying. No sounds of terror. Nothing. Everything was completely normal without a sign of disaster or destruction anywhere. She shook her head. “I'm just being paranoid. That's all. There's--”

“Rainbow!” Twilight's voice echoed through the air. “About time, I've been waiting for you.” She said angrily.

“What? Great, you're still here? I gave you my element, just--”

“You need to come and use it! It's your responsibility. You're being extremely selfish.”

Rainbow's anger flared as she turned to face the source of the voice. “What? Why--”

“After all we've put up with from you, the least you can do is come and help us with this. We put you up in a nice home, had servants to wait on you and did everything we could to stop you from making a mess of things. Now that we need you, you just--”

“Put up with? Mess of things? All you did was toss me aside the moment you didn't need me!” Rainbow snapped, the anger beginning to boil inside. “I gave everything to help you ponies, now that the fighting is over, you treat me as if I was just some mild inconvenience!”

“Well, I'm sorry to tell you, but you are,” Twilight said. “You're blind. All you can do now is sit there, it's not like it was before. You can't fight, can't air bend, you can't even fly. I've done what I can, but I can't put up with this any more. Stop being so selfish.”

The words dug into Rainbow like a knife and she felt the tears welling up. “You... but... I thought...”

“I don't need you, I just need your element. Unfortunately the thing only listens to you, so come on. We've all got ours, just use it.”

Something smacked against Rainbow's face and she took a step back, rubbing the bump. She then reached down and felt her element. She slowly picked it up and put it around her throat. “Do... you really think I'm useless?”

“No, I don't. You're just... helpless. Listen, I care about you, but you need to hear the truth. Without your sight you're just not as good as you once were. It's why the Wonderbolts won't take you and why I can't--”

The words were cut off as Rainbow sent a wing forward, hurtling wind through the air.

“AHHH! Rainbow, what is wrong with you?!”

Rainbow took a deep breath and gently ground a hoof into the ground. “You say you have your element, don't you? Right now?”

“O-of course.”

“I don't believe you. You know, I'm... starting to think that wasn't all a lie, what you said before. About... Discord winning. About this all being fake.”

“W-what?”

Rainbow grit her teeth. “In fact, I think that you're not really Twilight at all. It's all hurt a lot, the things you've said. But... it's not right. I know Twilight. I've been with her for the last year. She wouldn't turn on me, not like this. I... might have been afraid this might happen. But she wouldn't. The real her wouldn't say those things. Not when I'm feeling this low.”

“What? Please, Rainbow, I'm not turning on you, I've just--”

“Also, you're too dumb to be her. She's one of the smartest ponies I've ever met, able to find a way to solve just about any problem. She helped us defeat an entire nation and brought together a whole herd of us. She wouldn't just give up on me because I'm blind. And she wouldn't use the Wonderbolts to try and hurt me.”

“Rainbow, please, you're not making any sense. Of course I'm Twilight. All I want is for you to help me. We have to destroy this spirit and--”

“No.” She took a step forward. “I've been wrong all this time, you know? About what loyalty is. I think that's why I've been so upset.”

“What?”

“It's not just about doing good for your friends, or helping them when they need it. About having their back when things go bad.” She kept moving until she could feel the hot breath of the other Twilight. “It's also about believing in them. Not just that they're doing the right thing, but that they'll do the right thing. Believing they'll have your back. It's about trust, too. And... I trust Twilight. I trust Fluttershy. And I don't believe for a second that you're either of them.”

“You're being crazy! You're not making any--”

“It doesn't matter,” Rainbow said as she reached deep within herself. She felt a light beginning to warm her, flowing through her body. “I think you were telling the truth before. Discord... is out there still. And my friends need me.”

The light exploded from within her, sailing out through the world as everything seemed to fall out around her. She felt herself spinning through a strange, empty void. Then she felt a second eruption and a great pressure was lifted from her body before she toppled forward with a shriek. She landed on the ground with a groan. “Ow...”

“You did it!” Twilight's voice said, giggling happily. “You're out, you fought off Discord, now we... oh. Uh oh.”

“O-oh dear,” Fluttershy said softly.

“Hello, Avatar. How nice of you to join us,” Spitfire's voice rang out, cold and hard.

PreviousChapters Next