• Published 23rd Feb 2015
  • 2,073 Views, 120 Comments

Avatar: The Last Alicorn. Book 4: Alicorn - Jeweled Pen



Book four of the Avatar series, with Discord free and the story under his control, what danger awaits our heroes?

  • ...
7
 120
 2,073

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 35: My very best friends

Twilight groaned as her eyes slowly opened. She was laying in a bed, bundled in blankets.

“About time yah woke up, yah had us worried,” Applejack said.

The alicorn looked up, her friends were on the bed besides her, watching her. All aside from Rainbow, who was just facing her general direction. “What happened?” she asked softly.

“We won,” Rainbow said with a chuckle. “Completely thrashed Discord and wiped him out. Was there ever any doubt we would?”

“I think there was plenty,” Twilight said with a smile. “The elements, they're back, right?”

Her friends didn't answer, though the looks on their faces told her volumes. She closed her eyes and tried to bring hers forward, but nothing happened. She lowered her gaze. “They... they're gone. For real, aren't they?” She took a slow, weak breath. “I... guess it's the cost we have to pay, to defeat Discord.”

“Yah think the next avatar will have 'em?” Applejack asked.

“I... don't know. Maybe? But I don't think so,” Twilight reached a hoof up to grab where her element had once been. “Whatever he planned, I think it was big. It was... beyond anything I could imagine.”

“What was all that, then?” Rainbow asked. “A last oorah? It sure zapped you out pretty bad.”

“I don't know,” Twilight said gently. “But, it was different from the elements. It was...” She took a slow, deep breath as she tried to put the words together. “It was harmony. Beyond our harmony. A harmony born of all the ponies everywhere wanting something. I... don't know if we'll ever be able to use something like that again. At least, without something so dangerous to everypony.”

“Well, who cares?” Pinkie said with a giggle. “We beat Discord, he's gone! We've won! Now it's party time!”

Twilight chuckled and nodded. “We won. I can barely believe it, but we did it. Where are we? Where is everypony?”

“We're in Manehatten. We don't really know where everypony is,” Applejack said with a chuckle. “There was quite the crowd comin' tah pick us up once we won. Apparently he gone an' dropped everypony in the Fire lands near here. Ain't seen any of the ponies from the other countries yet.”

“You should have heard them coming,” Rainbow said with a chuckle. “Horns blaring, ponies yelling. They were ready for war. When they saw we'd already defeated Discord though... well...”

Twilight nodded. “I... I see. What about the dragons? What about Spike? What about the damage Discord had done there?”

“Everything seems to be going back to normal,” Fluttershy said softly. “The... the center of that area where we fought Discord, it's all normal now. Nothing but sand and rocks. It's a dessert again. No ponies are... changed anymore. At least, that we met.”

“Vinyl and the others had already left to get the dragons when they came to get us,” Pinkie said with a soft giggle. “But I'm sure they'll be back soon. We can have the most awesome party ever when they get back!”

Twilight nodded before falling back into bed. “So... it's over? We've won? We... we've really won?”

“Eeyup. It looks like it, Sugarcube,” Applejack said with a smile. “Everythin' seems tah be goin' back tah normal. Granted... ah don't think we're done yet.”

Twilight giggled softly and shook her head. “No, no. Still all the politics. But, you know what? After dealing with Discord, I think I almost look forward to trying to renegotiate the peace between all the countries. It'll be like a vacation at this point.”

Rainbow made a blah face. “Ugh, politicians. I think I'd almost rather deal with Discord again.”

The alicorn giggled and found she couldn't stop. They'd won. They'd finally done it. They'd suffered so much, almost lost everything a few times. But they'd finally won. The world was saved, there could finally be peace and prosperity between the nations. There was still so much that had to be done. She personally still had so much to do. But she felt the weight just melting away as she laughed with her friends. They were all alive and would face this new world together. Discord had fallen. For real this time.

Then a new thought popped into her mind and she felt the laughter die in throat. “Trixie? What happened to Trixie? Did they find her? She might be… well, who knows where? She could be up to anything. Doing anything. She doesn't have Discord's power, but she's still a water bender.”

“She's probably wherever he sent the rest of the Water Nation,” Rainbow said with a shrug. “Who knows? She's not a threat now, though. She doesn't have all of your bending or Discord's help. Nopony will listen to her anymore.”

Twilight nodded. “I… guess. But she still has the alicorn amulet. There's no telling what she could do with it.” She let out a sigh before laying back. “But… I guess it should be fine. Discord is gone, he can't guide her anymore. She's on her own now.”

“Once everythin' is settled, we'll find her,” Applejack said with a nod. “Ain't no way a pony that loud an' obnoxious can keep hidden for long. Ah'm sure they'll have a full army out lookin' for her once we get everythin' settled. But yah go on an' rest now. Yah gone an' done all yah needed. Now comes the easy part.”

Twilight chuckled. “This will be far from easy. Keeping everypony happy is going to be a borderline nightmare.” She glanced down to her friends and smiled. “Though… I don't think it'll be so bad. I've gone through worst nightmares. I have all of you with me. No matter what comes, I'm sure we can face it together.” She paused. “No. We faced down Discord and won. I don't care what the future holds. I absolutely know we can face it together.”

------

Twilight's head spun as she was lead through the streets of Manehatten, going through a sensory overload with every step. The Water Nation, Air Nomads and Earth Kingdom had all sent representatives since the event. Well, miniature armies to help defeat Discord. Now there was a celebration created by all the nations together, filling the streets with noises and smells. For now there was peace.

Though, the alicorn knew it wouldn't last. The defeat of Discord was a cause for great celebration. But the last hundred years would not be forgotten so easily. Already she could see the way ponies tried to avoid going too close to the Water Nation ponies. She gave it a day, maybe two before the ponies would have to retreat for fear of attacks.

But that was at least time where she could relax and enjoy herself. For now, ponies were calm and happy, talking with each other, living peacefully. Selling to each other. There was no fighting, no war, no killing. No imprisoning, no corrupting. No dehorning. There was just calm and stillness.

Unfortunately, the elements had still yet to make an appearance and she was pretty sure her earlier suspicion was true. It was beginning to look like they'd be gone forever. The power she'd felt before had also been something she could no longer tap into, though she had tried. It had been born from a need and desire of everypony working together to defeat a single, almost omnipotent threat. The looks the towns ponies now showed each other made her doubt there would ever again be something so deadly that it could bring such unity. Though it was a bit callous, she couldn't help but be thankful that it was the next avatar's problem. She'd done her job, done far more than anypony had any right to ask of her. Now she just wanted to relax and enjoy the peace she'd earned.

Of course, she couldn't allow herself that. Her mind was already turning as she tried to imagine ways to deal with the new peace. Stopping another war was her next priority, but it wouldn't be easy. Celestia had taken charge of the Water Nation, but she was only going to remain in command until Rarity returned. The princess looked none too pleased about that, but a little bit of convincing from her friends finally made her relent and accept her new responsibility. Sadly, Trixie hadn't been found and there was no telling where the water bender was hiding.

The Earth Kingdom was offering assistance to all the countries, assistance that was desperately needed with so much infrastructure damage done. Discord's magic was leaving the land, but plenty of things had been destroyed in the process. Homes of rock and stone would do for now.

The Wonderbolts had already requested that both Fluttershy and Rainbow join them in Cloudsdale once their duties here were done, to aid in teaching what they knew about healing and air bending respectively. Both were needed now as ponies tried to pick up their lives, the air benders especially needed for their speed in delivering messages.

Pinkie had been invited to join Cheese Sandwich's school of parties. Applejack and Applebloom were both looking forward to returning to the farm, for real this time. There was even talk about teaching other earth benders how to metal bend.

Soon, they'd all be going their separate ways, though not until they were sure that Twilight didn't need them. More plans sprang to her mind, ideas, so many things she could do over the next few months.

But, they would wait. For today, she and her friends were going to have fun and celebrate the fact they were all alive and had finally defeated Discord. The war was over.

------

“You're crying,” Spike said softly as he helped brush the tears out of her eyes.

“I-I can't help it,” the alicorn said weakly. “It's... it's so hard to s-say good bye.”

He nodded. “I don't doubt that.” He helped straighten her black and red gown. “They're all going off to different places now, we won't see them as often. But...”

“I know, I know,” Twilight said as she gently scooped him up and tossed him on her back. “Friends forever, right? It's only a temporary goodbye. It just feels so... weird. I won't have them here anymore.”

“It's been a few months, they have their own homes that need them now. You have all the fire tribes working together, too. Can't keep them here forever.”

The alicorn nodded as she started walking down the stairs. She didn't like it, but she knew it was true. It had been three months since the defeat of Discord and things had been calming down since at least a month ago. There was almost a routine now. That meant her friends were free to go and help their own homes, though she hated it. She wished she could keep them here forever, but that would be selfish and she knew it. She loved them too much to do that to them.

So tonight they were having one last, final party before they left. A last oorah before all the ponies she loved so very much were gone off to their own homes. It was going to be private, and small, and she knew she wouldn't make it through the whole thing without crying. But she'd go as long as she could.

She let out a slow, deep breath as she came to the door. She slowly pushed it open and revealed the small decorated room. She was a little surprised. There were only about five hundred pounds of streamers, confetti and glitter. She really expected Pinkie to do m-- Her eyes fell on the pinatas. Ah, of course. Nothing like an extra hundred pounds of candy to bring a party to life.

Her friends were sitting at the table, talking away. Aside from Rarity, they weren't really wearing anything. The princess was of course wearing a dazzling pink dress. She felt Spike lock up. She chuckled and hoped he'd get over his little crush gently over the next few weeks, not having her here would make it hard. At least he would have tending to all the dragons to help keep him occupied.

After a few seconds the talking died as the ponies looked over and waved. “Twilight! I had everything mega planned!” Pinkie said, giggling. “First pinatas, then punch, then dancing, then a congo line, then cake!” She paused. “But... then I decided for this, I think we should just be together. We've done a lot of the other things already, anyway.”

Twilight nodded, trying to hold back the tears as she moved to sit by her friends. “I... I think that would be best,” she choked out. She rubbed her eyes. “So... how is everypony.”

“Well, I've been meaning to bring this up for a while... but, it's been hard, you know?” Rainbow said with a soft cough. “I mean since... well, with everything going on. And us leaving.” For the first time, Twilight saw the pegasus too meek and nervous to actually speak. “Errr... Fluttershy?”

“Rainbow's eyes are better, kin--” The rest of her words were drowned out as the ponies erupted.

“You can see? Since when? How? How many hooves am I holding up?” Twilight asked, nearly jumping on the table. The others quickly asked their own, struggling to speak over each other.

“Calm down!” Rainbow said, waving her hooves frantically until her friends quieted down. “It's not that big a deal! I can't see fully or anything like that.” She rubbed the blindfold over her eyes. “See, this is why I didn't want to say anything. It's kind of just a lot of blurry images now. I can usually see better with my air bending now, too. I still have to keep my eyes covered a lot or they hurt. Spitfire says they'll probably never work fully. But I can wear special goggles that'll help. It'll make flying easier, at least. It's not a big deal, really.”

“It's a mega super big awesome amazing deal!” Pinkie said with a squeal. “You should have told me, we could have had a 'Rainbow can see now!' party!”

“Even if yah can't see all the way, ah think it's still pretty good,” Applejack said with a grin. “It'll help yah a lot when you're bein' one of them Wonderbolts. Make sure yah don't run inta anythin' when yah go super fast.”

“I think we can all agree it is marvelous news,” Rarity said with a smile, before lowering her gaze. “I... do believe my mother will be pleased to know the damage she caused wasn't... completely permanent.”

There was a slow, awkward pause. After a few moments the pegasus shrugged. “Eh. She wasn't herself at the time. If I was going to get mad at every pony Discord went and screwed up, I'd have a list three miles long. I'm wayyyy too awesome to hold a grudge like that.”

Twilight nodded and smiled at her friends. “I take it everypony is prepared for the journey then? No... problems?” She was a little hopeful there would be some kind of delay.

“My escort is down below, waiting as we speak,” Rarity said with a smile. “They even managed to scrounge up another air ship for the voyage. It's not the most... charming of vessels, but it will get me home quickly.” She gave a soft sigh. “I do believe aunt Celestia is looking forward to me taking over responsibility far too much.”

Rainbow chuckled. “Fluttershy and I are going to Cloudsdale in style. Wonderbolt escort and all. Gilda even came by and is coming too.” She gave a light snicker. “Said something about the Earth Kingdom being a little too quiet for her now. For all the huff and puff she made about getting rewarded for helping, she seems to hate the easy life.”

“Cheese is waiting too!” Pinkie said with a giggle. “We're going to go around and spread parties at every town we pass on the way to the school! It's going to be amazing! So many ponies who've never had a chance to even have a party. We're going to fix that so bad it's going to break again!”

“Mah big brother came down tah escort us back,” Applejack said with a smile. “Him an' Applebloom are waitin' tah go the moment we can. Apparently the Cherries plan tah meet us half way an' visit the farm. Gonna be quite the trip.”

Twilight nodded, smiling softly. “It's... going to be so quiet without everypony here. I'll miss you all.”

“We'll miss you too,” Rainbow said. “We'll still visit, of course. I mean, we've only known each other a year, but it's been quite the year. You'll always be our weird and silly friend we found in the mountains.”

The alicorn snorted. “I know. But we're all going to be so busy and--”

“That won't matter,” Fluttershy said gently. “We'll always be friends and we'll always make time for each other.” She looked up at the table. “We can still meet up once in a while. Even if we are really busy... that doesn't mean this is a true good bye. It just means we'll be separate sometimes.”

“Ohhhh!” Pinkie giggled and pushed her hooves together. “We should totally have a big get together once everything is settled. We could have it in the Water Nation, that way Rarity doesn't have to leave her princessy stuff!”

Rarity chuckled. “While I do appreciate the extra effort, I am sure I will be able to leave once in a while.” She sighed. “I will have to make... many changes throughout the kingdom, however. My aunt is already working on it, but I think nearly every single general and commander is going to have to be replaced. Not to mention the Shadowbolts are going to have to be... modified.”

“Well, Scootaloo is coming with us to Cloudsdale to help train some ponies in that style,” Rainbow said with a shrug. “Once ponies see the training they have, I'm sure a bunch of other nations would be happy to have them training with them. Those arts are... well, they aren't fun to fight. But they're useful.”

Twilight nodded. “I'm sure there are plenty of benders who would rather such techniques never be learned, but personally I hope they spread quickly. They're far less... final, than a sword or spear.”

Applejack nodded. “Eeyup. Ah think the emperor would be happy tah have them spreadin'. There are bound tah be a few benders out there who decide tah take the law into their own hooves. Especially once, well...”

The alicorn sighed. “Not everypony is going to be happy with peace. With all the loss of lives. Hundreds, even thousands are... now missing family members.” The table grew silent. “The next few years are going to be interesting.”

Rarity gave a soft chuckle. “The Water Nation is going to have to work very hard to earn back ponies trust. But hopefully everything can return to the way it once was.” She looked over to the alicorn. “But tonight is our last night together, I think we should try to enjoy ourselves, don't you?”

Twilight nodded before pulling up a small slice of hay bacon. “Of course. There's no telling what the next few years will hold. Just remember, no matter what happens, if you need me, all you need to do is ask.”

Applejack gave a snort. “Yeah, we can send yah a letter. Ah'm sure you'll answer a whole lot faster here than yah did in mah dream.”

“Or you can just send me off to the side, under the emperor's care,” Rainbow said with a snicker.

“I'll try not to get lost in the dark,” Fluttershy said with a gentle giggle.

“I'll make sure not to get stuck in any more padded rooms,” Pinkie said with a full chortle.

Twilight watched her friends as the night quickly went by. It was the last time she'd see them all together for a long time and there was still so much they had to do. But she was sure no matter what happened, they could and would deal with it. No matter how hard life became, they could always fall back on each other. Because even without their elements, their friendship would always be magic.

PreviousChapters Next