• Published 10th Feb 2015
  • 696 Views, 24 Comments

Spiral Knights: Equestrian Front - Chazonic



Delta Squad, one of the spiritual successors to Alpha Squad, lands in Equestria. They quickly find that the rules of this new world different yet similar to those of the Clockworks. Much... tamer?

  • ...
3
 24
 696

Fragile Middle Ground

"Sorry we had to grab you like that, but I didn't see any other way out." Volt was scratching his head in nervousness back at their designated camping spot in the ravine.

The orange creature huffed. "You could of given us SOME warning."

"Flame-Lance did. Anymore of a warning and those constructs would of picked up on what we were doing," Dusk stated flatly as he started setting up a computer for energy and geological measurements. Delta Squad always carried around everything needed to set up a camp or outpost in case they ever needed a place to rest or if they discover something new.

The white one gives the orange one a flat glare. "Just be glad we got out of that alive, Scootaloo."

Blast gasped. "Oh no we totally forgot the introductions! Step number one of meeting anyone new is to exchange names." He hops over and gives them a happy look. "I'm Blast-Bomb, the red knight over there is our leader, Flame-lance. Mr. grumpypants over there is Dusk-Shooter." This was met with a flat look from Dusk. "And last but definitely not least is Volt-Crasher, the one who checked you three over for injuries."

The three looked at each other with a bit of confusion before the yellow one spoke up. "Well... I guess we can introduce ourselves. I'm Applebloom."

"I'm Sweetie Belle."

"And I'm Scootaloo. Together we make..."

"THE CUTIE MARK CRUSADERS!" This got blank stares from the knights around them.

"We... kind of need our hearing for what we do..." Flame deadpanned, earning a embarrassed grins from the three.

Scootaloo spoke up first. "Sorry about that but that's besides the point. You four are aliens, aren't you?"

Volt looked over his shoulder from unpacking the medical supplies. "I... suppose we are..."

Flame nodded. "Since we are two different... "species" and are completely new to each other, we could exchange what information we know. Oh but first..." He turns to Dusk. "I want you and Blast to set up a perimeter around the base camp. I don't want anymore surprises if we can avoid it. Radio me and Volt if something comes up."

"Alright. The computer has finished setting up, so I'll head out immediately."

Flame nods before facing the children again, only to be met with suspicious glares. He shrugs. "Precautionary measures. We've all been paranoid ever since we got dropped on this planet. I'll explain in a bit, but for now why don't you tell me about your kind so we can avoid embarrassing mistakes later."


"What happened here?" Was all Twilight could ask.

They had come across a clearing that was full of blast marks, both big and small. Some timberwolf twigs were scattered and there was even one cut clean in half with some burn marks. There were also 'living' timberwolves that were frozen to the ground, yipping in confusion.

Applejack looked at the area with a mix of surprise and fear. "I don't know, but whatever did this must be very powerful."

Rainbow scoffs. "Puh-lease, we could take on whatever caused this. Besides, timberwolves aren't exactly the most stable of creatures; one hit and they fall apart."

Twilight gives her pegasus friend a flat look. "That's fine and all, but you must remember that they can be fast and travel in packs. Hitting one would only make way for two more to attack you." Rainbow's only response was to roll her eyes.

Pinkie eyed the frozen timberwolves. "Wow, that ice is potent if it can 'root' those timberwolves to the ground."

"G-girls... look at this." Fluttershy was pointing at--

"A piece of Sweetie Belle's mane!" Rarity cried out. "My poor little sister is somewhere in this filthy forest!"

Now Applejack was panicking. "If she's here, so is Applebloom and Scootaloo. What if that creature we've been following--"

"--Has foalnapped our sisters? Nooooooo!" Rarity wailed in in utter fear.

Rainbow quickly faced the two worried sisters. "Keep your heads attached. We need to find whatever caused this and FAST. Twilight, can you still tell where it went?"

"I can, but just barely. This area is overflowing with that energy and it's making it hard to track their trail." Twilight focuses a bit before pointing in a direction. "They must of went that way!"

Pinkie hopped forward. "No time to waste everypony!"


Flame was sitting on a sleeping bag at this point. "So let me get this straight; Your species is 'pony' with four sub-species consisting of unicorns, pegasi, earth ponies, and alicorns. Adult males and females are stallions and mares respectively while 'foals' are colts and fillies. This kingdom of Equestria is ruled by two alicorn sisters, one who raises the sun and one who raises the moon, while the third princess is friends with your older sisters. Did I get all of that?"

Applebloom nodded. "And that all ponies have inherent magic available to them, just that only unicorns can actively utilize it."

Volt chuckles, earning looks of confusion from the fillies. "Hahn would blow a circuit if he heard everything that was said. He always tells the rookie knights off for thinking elemental damage monsters derive their power from magic. He instead calls it 'psychic energy manipulation', despite saying its comprised of arcane energy manipulation a few seconds earlier."

Scootaloo rolls her eyes. "He must be fun at parties."

Flame shakes his head. "A volcano would freeze over before he would even consider attending one. I digress, I think it's time I tell you about my--"

"Flame-Lance come in, over."

The fillies look around with startled expressions before noting Flame holding his hand over the side of his head with a worried look. "Dusk, what's the situation?"

"I've identified six bogies heading in your direction. All of them look similar to the foals in our care, only a lot bigger and different colors. I'm heading back now via short-cut from my vantage point."

"I'll head back as well, no need for me to not be there."

Sweetie Belle squealed in delight. "Oh, they might be our sisters! We can totally intro...duce..." She trailed off when she saw Flame and Volt exchanging looks.

Flame finally shakes his head. "As charming as your sisters and their friends might be, our bringing you here might come off to them as a kidnapping. While they might be looking for you, I can't shake the feeling they are also looking for us, despite me questioning how they managed to track us in the first place."

Applebloom looked at the knights with a sad face. "B-but..."

"I'm sorry, but if push comes to shove and they turn out hostile to us, we will defend ourselves by any means necessary. We want you to go out and meet them; hopefully that will be enough to dissuade them from trying to confront us." When Flame noticed the worried doubt in the fillies facial expressions he added, "If it comes to a confrontation, someone's going to get hurt and I don't think any of us want that."

Dusk ran into the camp with Blast hot on his heels. "The ponies will arrive in T minus three minutes."

Flame nods before looking at the fillies. "I suggest you get out of here ASAP. If worst-case scenario happens, it WILL turn ugly."

Sweetie Belle pouts. "Alright... just promise us you'll visit us another time at our village."

Blast jumps forward excitably. "Will do, bomber's pride!" This was met with a round of nod from the rest of Delta Squad, with reluctance from Dusk. Satisfied, the fillies run out of the camp and towards their older siblings.

Volt sighed. "They were... quite cute, I must admit. Then again, most children are cute."

Flame rolls his eyes. "Stay focused for now. If the older ponies don't arrive within 10 minutes, then we are in the clear. Until then, remain prepared."

Blast shakes his head. "Having our weapons at the ready like we actually are fighting seems kind of silly."

"I don't mean THAT level of ready, just keep them within arm's reach in-case they--"

"Flame, your wounds from earlier haven't healed, have they?" Volt interrupted with a worried look.

Dusk facepalmed. "Seriously? You really need to learn when to take care of yourself over us. How effective can we be with an injured leader?"

Flame chuckles weakly. "I'm just stubborn like that. I prefer to take care of my squad mates over myself. No point in fussing about it now; all we can do is wait."

Flame and Dusk leaned against the wall of their camp while Blast and Volt sat down. They lapsed into an uncomfortable silence as they waited.

A minute passed...

Two minutes...

Dusk brought up his timer. "I guess those fillies must of at least delayed them. They would of been here by now."

Flame shakes his head. "We still need to wait and hope for the best."

Blast looked at his injured leader. "Hope for the best? That ain't the usual Flame-Lance plan I know."

"If you've got a better idea then I'm all ears."

Blast mulled over it for a bit. Running was indeed an option, yet there were just as many negatives with that as just staying put. "Nah... you sold me."

Not long after that, they noticed four blips on their radar. Volt grimaced. "So they weren't successful after all..."

Dusk huffs. "It was a fool's hope, but at least the number is down to four instead of six. If what the fillies told us is true, we will need to look out for unicorn magic, the pegasus' ability to probably fly fast, and the earth ponies' strength. Our tech will be more than a match for them though."

Flame looks at Dusk. "Don't get cocky. Remember; stay sharp, stay focused."

The four ponies that were on their radar rounded the corner. Delta Squad can now see a Blue pegasus, an orange and a pink earth pony, and a purple alicorn.

The ponies stopped dead in their tracks when they saw the knights. The orange and blue ponies had glares on their faces, while the purple one looked both curious and uncertain.

The pink one gave an enthusiastic wave, which Blast responded to with his own. Dusk looked between the two and facepalmed. "Skylark above, there's TWO of them..."

Blast looked offended. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"Exactly what it means."

"Blast, Dusk, zip it!" Flame hissed. He noted the purple pony walking slowly forward, with what sounds like complaining from the blue one. Remembering what the fillies said about alicorns, he slowly approached her as the leader of his squad, his mind reeling with what could possibly happen.

They met in the middle and stared at each other silently. It wasn't long before Flame noticed a growing excitement in the alicorn's eyes. He wasn't the best at reading people, but he could see it regardless.

Deciding to break the ice himself, Flame bowed his head. "A pleasure to meet you, your highness."

This surprised the princess. "H-how did you know?"

"I'm certain you ran into a trio of fillies on your way here?" She nods. "They filled me in on your species and culture including the fact that your kind, alicorns, are princesses."

The blue one suddenly flies forward. "And what exactly did you do to them in order to get that information, huh?"

Dusk decided to step forward himself. "In case you never payed attention, they didn't have any wounds or marks on them when they left us. If you're thinking we tortured the info out of them, you're sorely mistaken." This was met with a glare from the pegasus, which Dusk matched.

Now the orange one stepped forward. "How can we be certain you didn't use any mind-control tomfoolery on them? I swear if you did anything to my little sister..."

Volt timidly came up behind Flame with Blast. "Um... we really don't have that kind of technology..."

Flame nodded. "Agreed, plus we don't really have anything on us besides the bare-bones requirements for our kind's squads." The orange one remained unconvinced, but lessened her aggressive stance.

The blue one was about to retort when the pink one cut her off. "Geez Dashie, give them a chance. The fillies were returned to us unharmed and they were willing to talk. I think that's cause enough to celebrate!" She suddenly gasps. "Ohmygosh, I can totally throw a 'We Met Aliens' party!"

Blast nods enthusiastically. "I agree!" He then points at his squad mates. "I TOLD you guys they would be friendly!" Looking back at the orange and blue ponies, he added nervously, "At least most of them."

"That's besides the point...." Dusk grumbles.

The pegasus huffs. "I still don't trust you at all! You look too well armored for my liking."

The orange one nods. "I agree. besides, you let my sister go a little too--"

"Can everypony please calm down? We're in the middle of something important here!" The princess half-shouted in frustration. Seeing the blank look on the knight's faces, she gives a nervous cough. "Right... well since we conveniently know the same language, why don't we introduce ourselves? I'm Twilight Sparkle."

"I'm Flame-Lance, leader of Delta Squad." He looks at his squad mates expectantly.

Dusk sighed in reluctance. "Dusk-Shooter."

"Blast-Bomb!"

"V-Volt-Crasher..."

The pink pony started bouncing enthusiastically. "I'm Pinkie Pie and we'll become best friends!" She started staring at the the other two ponies.

"Nothing for it I guess. I'm Applejack."

"Rainbow Dash..."

Flame noted Rainbow's reluctance before looking at Twilight. "Now that that's taken care of, is there anything you want to ask of us, Princess Twilight?"

She grimaced. "Please drop the 'princess'. I've only recently became one and I'm not used to it by now."

"With all due respect your highness, I'm required to address you by title until less... hostile relations are established."

"Alright... well first of all, what are--" She was cut off by a bunch of screaming, followed by two earth shattering howls.

Dusk facepalmed. "This seems familiar..."