• Published 6th May 2012
  • 3,516 Views, 23 Comments

Celestia's Flare - Spica



Princess Celestia falls sick, and it's up to Twilight Sparkle, Rarity and Pinkie Pie to help her

  • ...
11
 23
 3,516

At the Castle

The three ponies and small dragon that had been left behind in the throne room looked at each other. Not even Pinkie made a sound while Luna’s voice bellowed; other voices could be heard countering the Night Princess’ speech, though not much could be made from the inside. Time passed slowly, or so they felt at such a time. In spite of the overwhelming heat, they decided to bundle together, embracing each other and thinking about how their families, their friends and acquaintances would be doing.

Twilight’s ears perked up, as did Pinkie’s. Silence had fallen, suddenly taking control of the atmosphere. Luna came inside through the doors, flanked by a couple of guards at her sides. The crowd had been placated by Luna’s words, for the time being. The Night Princess came back into the Hall, her sultry expression a mix of tiredness, fear and stress; she could not afford to maintain a façade effectively indoors. She approached the whispering group, and cleared her throat to grab their attention. Everypony fell silent and looked at her, nervousness clearly spread among them.

“Except for me and Celestia, there’s nopony able to use magic now on Equestria.” She pointed outside. The ongoing murmur they had heard coming from the street had vanished, leaving only a tense silence behind.

”They’ve been placated for now, but they will be soon growing restless, just like all the other races. All the whole systems around this land that have been based around unicorn magic will collapse and it will disturb the peaceful state of our country as we know it. We must find a way to solve this, for the sake of my sister. Celestia may not die, but this is taking a huge toll on her. It all hangs on this. ”

Her voice, though firmly and regal sounding, carried in it all the weight that Luna bore in that moment. She closed her eyes as the speech continued.

“As I told you before, neither Celestia nor I have been ever sick. This is so unusual that we are at a loss about what to do. Besides that, most doctors in Equestria are unicorns; all the diagnosis, treatments or otherwise medical procedures that could help her are unavailable for us. My magic doesn’t delve into healing spells or something useful for that situation. They attempted to lower her temperature, but there’s nothing that doesn’t evaporate as soon as it comes near her, and being close to her for too prolonged periods of time is harmful for anypony. You will perceive it once we go to see her. I believe it’s about time now. Come with me.”

As Twlight followed Luna, the others fell down behind her, forming a single line that advanced quietly across the corridors; only the tapping of their hooves against the floor betrayed their presence. As they walked on, Twilight and Rarity began to feel extraordinarily strong magical waves traveling the air, pushing against them, though they could still move freely. This outburst of magical energy actually caused the lavender unicorn spirits to raise a little; the block on the use of magic hadn’t diminished their senses. Even the others could feel the push, which made them uncomfortable.

As they got nearer, the air began to warm up even more, until the point that all around appeared seemingly blurry, desert-like. Luna walked in the front, slowly but with all the Royal presence bearing in all its might. Once they had crossed a little farther, her horn shone, a magical shield big enough to cover all of them came into existence. The pressure that opposed them disappeared almost entirely, allowing them to pick up their pace, though the unbearable heat continued affecting them. They finally arrived in front of a wooden door that seemed to be in the verge of scorching. Luna’s magic grabbed the handle and opened the door, letting a blast of superheated air coming out which was only prevented from roasting anypony by Luna’s shield.

A blinding bright golden light hit their eyes as soon as the door opened, causing all of them to close their eyes violently. As they took on the incandescent glow, opening their eyes gradually, the radiating figure of Princess Celestia laying on her bed was revealed. The full force of the shine emanated from her body, casting rays of light everywhere. She moved around in her slumber, legs flailing and tossing around. Her eyes were shut tightly; a bluish glimmer could be seen between her eyelids.
They stood in the threshold, making no effort to approach the lying Princess; not even Twilight moved a hoof forward. The uncertainty of what was presented before them held them from advancing, as much as the unbearable warm that Celestia expelled.

As they remained immobile, Luna beckoned them out. Turning their back slowly, gazes returning furtively at the glowing white pony, until the door that separated them was closed again, cutting them apart.

Instead of coming back to the throne room, Luna led them through a different path, which left them in the Royal Gardens. Floating clouds far in the sky framed the sun, which was a little beyond half through its descent in the sky; soft colors were displayed: orange , blue and purple created a chromatic arrangement that would be the delight of artists Equestria wide. It brought some solace to the ponies –and Spike- that came to rest in the trimmed, light green grass. Some minutes passed until Luna spoke again.

“What should we do?”


------


Twilight rubbed her chin with her hoof, submerged in contemplation. A hoofful of books, treatises on medicine, diseases, advanced magic and equine anatomy were spread before her. Luna had gone to raise up the moon and attend to some court duties; the rest of her friend lay around her. Rarity looked at some of the books, Pinkie Pie and Spike slept curled side by side. Twilight’s tail flicked around, hitting the floor, as she moved her head left and right, a soft sigh escaping from her lips.

“There’s nothing in here we can use. I don’t know the answer.”

Rarity left the book she was reading open wide and approached her friend, putting a hoof around her neck.

“Twilight, my dear, it there’s a pony that I would trust more than anypony else, that I know will find the answers and solve this, you are that pony. And you have my support, and that of all our friends.”

The white unicorn’s warm and sweet smile infected Twilight, who soon smiled, and softly nuzzled her friend’s cheek.

“Thanks, Rarity. I’ll do my best. I need to give this everything.”

She picked her saddlebags and went through them, finding inside, among other things, the herbs that she had picked up from Zecora. Her smile grew wider and she turned to look and her fellow unicorn.

“If there’s something I’ve learned during this time, is that answers are always at your reach, if you know where to look. Let’s go and do it.”

Pinkie and Spike were woken up by the unicorns; albeit non-amused by being lifted from their dream, they all went to meet Luna.