• Published 6th May 2012
  • 3,512 Views, 23 Comments

Celestia's Flare - Spica



Princess Celestia falls sick, and it's up to Twilight Sparkle, Rarity and Pinkie Pie to help her

  • ...
11
 23
 3,512

The Royal Visit

The carriage that flew across the Equestrian sky, pulled by two grey coated pegasi wearing the Royal Guard armor, transported nopony else but the Royal Princess of the Night, Luna. Such was her official title, but recent events had transpired that had left the younger royal sister in charge of both the day and the night.

The very same events had left her as the only magically abled pony in the whole land –the blocked magic being that of the unicorn race; earth pony and pegasi magic, being more subtle and attached to nature itself, was untouched.- On the other hoof, she herself was bothered by this development, as being the only able user of magic meant loads of work for the –somewhat- recently awakened Princess, besides moving the huge celestial bodies across the firmament and the custom royal duty.

The last evident result from the circumstances was a nation-wide heat wave caused by the scorching sun. Her sister, Celestia, Princess of the Sun had fallen sick to a disease that nopony had any hope to treat; it was totally unknown, the medical unicorns of the Palace were mostly useless without their magic and getting near Celestia without being roasted for prolonged periods of time was impossible for anypony but Luna herself. Her glimmering, starry mane shone even in the light of day, flowing regally with the wind that pushed against the flying vehicle. The small town of Ponyville was finally reached, the descending chariot attracting the attention of many townsponies as it usually did, but this time, instead of landing in the middle of the village as it usually did, it touched land at the edge of the Everfree Forest; attempting to come down inside the thick forest was a warranted failure.

Descending from the carriage, she looked at the tall, huge trees that comprised the ominous place, very different from the home that, one thousand years ago, it had been for both she and her sister. Shaking away the memories that menaced to invade her psyche at such an inconvenient time, she trotted right into the forest’s entrance, signaling for her guards to follow.

“Let us go, gentleponies.”

All sorts of wild and ferocious creatures lived and roamed around in the forest, making it a great danger that prevented ponies from going in. Zecora, the zebra, as an immigrant hailing from a distant, wild and open country, moved around with remarkable easiness. Around Luna, however, the whole forest seemed to fall into quietness and calm that was very rarely seen. The regal presence of the Princess marked safe passage for the group, who eventually found themselves at the zebra’s door.

Luna lifted her hoof and knocked gently but with firmness. The door was soon opened, and as soon as Zecora identified her visitant, she fell into a bow.

“The Princess, can you be? This is a big honor for me.”

“Please, dear… Zecora, was your name? Stand up.” The zebra did as told, looking at the alicorn and her guards.

“Such is the name I was bestowed. But please, tell me, what brings you to my humble abode? Please come, make yourselves at home,” invited the zebra with a gesture of her hoof. Luna entered, but the guards remained outside, on watch.

The Princess looked around the hut, gazing at all its decorations, as well as the multitude of plants, seeds, flowers and natural ingredients than filled the zebra’s home. She finally turned to her host.

“I have been told by Twilight Sparkle that you had provided them with the cure for my sister’s ailment, a certain flower she called Magic Mishap.”

Zecora nodded. “That flower will produce a potion that will become your best solution.”

“I understand; I hope this will turn out just as you have said it.” Luna looked around her, her eyes scanning all the things that hung around the hut’s walls. Her gaze returned to Zecora after some moments. “I’d like you to tell me a little about your country and former life…”

The zebra complied, inviting her guest to make herself comfortable; candles were lit, and she took a bag of powder from one of her shelves. Finally, she sat down in front of the alicorn.

“Your request I won’t deny, my story I shall relay”

Luna attended earnestly to the story told by her host…




The sun, which was just a couple hours beyond daybreak when Luna arrived in the forest, now almost reached its zenith. The zebra and the Princess headed to the spot in which the tent was located. Luna opened its door, revealing the two unicorns
inside, each one lost in her own task. They registered the royal visit and bowed hastily.

“Princess, it’s…”

“An honor to have you here...”

As both mares greeted her with a hurry bordering on the incredible, she smiled.

“Good to see you, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity. I thank you in earnest for what you are doing for Equestria.”

As the two unicorns went to talk again, a torrent of words erupting from their mouths, Luna simply stepped on the soil and with a push of her hoof and the glow of her horn, leaked her own magic into the earth. The flow of magical energies proved so big, that both Twilight and Rarity felt it feeding the ground. The white unicorn trembled, having never felt such a thing before. Finally Luna cut the flow, her breathing deep and loud as she rested.

“My dear friends, I have to return now to Canterlot, but I hope you keep me informed of the progress. I am sorry that I could not do more, but my magic is being very taxed these days. I hope to hear from you soon. Goodbye.”

With that, the Moon Princess departed, leaving the two friends looking at the ground in amazement.

“Rarity, I think the growth time has been cut for about two weeks now!”

“So we only need to feed this about one week from now?”

“That’s right!”

“Those are truly wonderful news, my dear!”

The two unicorns delighted in the huge turn of events that Luna had just caused: the solution was coming closer.




Noon was a busy time for the market place in Ponyville. But a certain stand held the longest line that weekend day (and the previous days as well, in the afternoons)

“Now there, fellas, remember to be organized, there’s juice for all of you. Keep on the line,” chanted a small earth pony filly, regulating the customers and receiving the money. Her unicorn friend served the glasses which registered a bit for each one while her pegasus friend made the juice and poured it into the containers. The juice container rested in a box full of snow. The apples that produced the juice had been provided by the Apple family from the apple harvest hoping that not many apples went bad from the current heat affecting the land; the snow had been provided by Rainbow Dash in a deal cut with the Crusaders, it came from the weather factory at Cloudsdale, but nopony had been let in into what was their business. The last few days the small fillies’ business had thrived with the onset of thirsty ponies, donkeys and all inhabitants of the town.




The morning of that same day saw the Apple family rise early, as usual. Big Mac, Applejack and Granny Smith went on and around their business. Fluttershy, who was also an early riser, but not as much as them, slept quiet and peacefully in Applejack’s room. When the yellow pegasus woke up, the sky was a light purple, announcing the incoming rise of the sun. She shook the sleep out of her and after a brief combing, went onto her business. The smell of breakfast permeated the house, filling her nostrils. She trotted down the stairs and found Applejack and Granny Smith at the kitchen. The two Apple mares put the kitchen and served the food, calling everyone to eat. Apple Bloom came down yawning and rubbing her eyes, and Big Mac came from outside. The five ponies sat down to enjoy fried eggs, sandwiches and apple pie with milk.

“Y’know, Fluttershy, ‘s nice havin’ you here,” said the orange cowpony, smiling at her friend, who blushed a little and nodded, smiling.

“I like to be here, too. Really, the family is just too warm. I’m so accustomed to being in my cottage with my little friends, and I…”

The shy mare’s voice stopped, and her gaze seemed to become lost in space. She continued eating slowly, in a mechanic way devoid of pleasure, while Applejack, and the whole family, exchanged worried glance between them and looked at her. Applejack spoke.

“Hey,Sugarcube, are yeh fine?” called tentatively the element of honesty, looking directly to her friend. Her sister interjected.

“Yes, Miss Fluttershy, are ya okay?”

This seemed to snap the yellow pony out of her mind, as she nodded weakly.

“Yes, I’m fine. Sorry to have concerned you all. I’ve got to go and check on my animal friends now.” With that, Fluttershy left the dining room and headed outside. The earth ponies around the table looked at each other, unsure. Granny Smith was the only one who talked.

“Ya’ll better go an’ talk to yer friend, Applejack.”

The orange mare nodded and went through the same route Fluttershy had just walked by. The yellow mare was found giving seeds to the birds perched in the surrounding trees. Applejack approached her.

“You ok there, Sugarcube?”

Fluttershy pretended to ignore her friend’s words, watching the small birds and other creatures eat. Applejack sat there, waiting patiently. Slowly, the small animals retreated and scattered around the farm, and finally, the pegasus turned around to look at the earth pony.

“I...” The words got caught in her throat, she looked away from Applejack, fixing her gaze in the trunk of a tree. “I just brought back several memories… But I do not feel like talking about it now. I’m not sure if I could ever talk about it.”

The earth pony did not move from her spot, electing to merely answer her friend’s words.

“Fluttershy, it’d do ya lots of good if yeh speaked about it to somepony. I don’t say ‘s got to be now, but the sooner the better. And me, and the other girls are there; we’re yehr friends, and we love you. Right,Sugarcube?”

Fluttershy looked at her and her face formed a small, but warm smile. “Yes, Applejack. Thank you. You’re a great friend.”

“’’s nothin’ Sugarcube. Now ‘scuse me, there’re chores waitin’ fer me and ya’ll also have your own things.” The orange mare walked away, leaving Fluttershy looking at an empty spot on the floor.

Applejack trotted towards her house. She crossed by her corner, where her brother stood, munching on his usual stick of hay. None of them said a single word, but when Applejack passed by his side, she swatted his rump with her tail. He turned back in silence and followed her into the trees.