• Published 9th Feb 2015
  • 450 Views, 5 Comments

Diamonds are a King's Best Friend - Cerulean Wingz



King Sombra has an heir who is less than thrilled to be his successor. Like his father, however, he has a strong desire to enslave and take over Equestria. However, a certain filly and her brother may keep that from happening, again.

  • ...
 5
 450

Catching Feelings

The Next Day...

Solnem

"I don't care that you see her potential! I am your son! You should be giving that power to me!"

Solnem growled under his breath as he stared down his father, King Sombra. The other stallion didn't flinch. He didn't even look like he heard what his son just said.

Sombra finally answered.

"My son. I know you find my decision to be unfair, but you must realize the big picture. That foal has a hidden power she is completely unaware of and if Celestia gets even a whiff of her potential all our efforts to convert her will be in vain."

Solnem just stared. His gaze narrowing.

"The big picture?"

"Yes. We will use her powers to take over this forsaken land and turn it into a dark paradise. We will rule and all will tremble at our might."

"Ok sure.. let's say you succeed. What will you do with her when we no longer need her?"

"Discard her of course."

Solnem didn't react to that. He was used to his father throwing away what he didn't need anymore. Like his own mother.

Solnem saw his mother's face only once before she was violently snatched from him. He could still hear her echoing screams if he allowed himself to remember. He never allowed that though. Too much pain and he needed to focus.

The Prince turned from his father and chose to stare out of the long, tall window overlooking a drop off that led to miles and miles of ice. They lived on the outskirts of the frozen north where no pony dared to wander.

Solnem didn't want to rid the world of Diamond Peaches. To tell the truth he was rather fond of the feisty filly. He liked her tenacity and determination. He knew his father would disown him if he found out and making his father proud of him was more important than a crush.

Sombra addressed his foot soldiers, instructing them to kidnap the twins and bring them to the castle. Solnem stared out the window but listened to his father command the shadow soldiers.

Kidnapping wasn't as easy as it sounded but his father had more confidence than most. He had no doubts his plan would work. The shadow soldiers left in unison after they all called out "hail King Sombra"

Solnem turned his attention back to his father, who had gone to his throne to sit and observe an image orb. The orb sat in an iron stand, metal "fingers" keeping it in place.

He observed as the sky darkened above a building. A school, the prince realized, where some ponies were engaged in play and others simply watching. The watchers (Solnem assumed they were teachers) were the first to look up at the sky in curiosity as shadow soldiers descended upon them..

//*//

Mythic Lights

Myth groaned and fell over in his sleep, right on his muzzle. "Ooww!" He complained as he stood up. "Dang-it... every time I have a nightmare I fall in my sleep..."
He trotted into his bathroom and washed up, moving to the kitchen after to make food.

Once his morning routine was finished he grabbed his messenger bag and headed out of his tiny, cabin home. He was headed for Ponyville. His foals ran through his mind as he approached the train stop.

He wondered if they were OK. If their mother was OK. Celestia help him, he still loved that mare... He wondered if she still loved him. After a while he ceased thinking about his broken family because it only made him upset. One day they would be reunited. Unfortunately that day was not today.

The train arrived and he boarded, showing the conductor his yearly train pass and then going to sit by himself in the back. The ride wasn't long but it gave him enough time to ponder his tasks for the day.

The pavilion, where the Summer Sun Celebration was held, needed a checkup. The Mayor was concerned that the "lights would not illuminate our fair princess properly."

He didn't know if the princess was fair but he did know she seldom was seen outside of her castle unless an event was going on.

He continued to think about his jobs. Glam Star wanted him to rewire her shop with recessed lighting. That would take most of his day. So he would go to the pavilion first.

The train stopped outside of town and Mythic got off. He started on his way to the pavilion, nodding greetings to the ponies he passed. He arrived at the huge, circular structure and gaped at it. Was it always this big? He went inside and started pulling out his tools...

//*//

Glam Star

"M-.....mo-......mom!" Star stumbled out of sleep to find herself eye-to-eye with her son.

"Yes Gypsy, what is it?" She rubbed her eyes with the back of a hoof. Blinked. Then yawned loudly.

"Did you hear me?" The colt stared at her impatiently. She answered.

"Huh?"

"Diamond and I have finished our entry forms. We were hoping we could go outside and wait for you.."

She blinked again and nodded. "Yes, of course, go get some air."

He walked away and she sighed, going to the wash room to freshen up before dawning one of her favorite silk scarves. She levitated three apples out of a fruit basket and headed downstairs to join her children, grabbing her messenger bag alone the way.

Once outside she dropped two of the apples on the dewy grass and bit into the third. Diamond and Gypsy ate their breakfast. Full, they left to go to the schools for their open houses. Canterlot Academy was first on the list.

They took the train and arrived promptly at 6am. The foals yawned and almost made her yawn, but she stifled it and went inside. She stopped at the reception desk and got the secretary's attention. The other mare smiled at her and spoke.

"Can I help you, miss...?"

Star smiled back. "Call me Glam, sweetheart. I'd like to enroll my son into your lovely academy, if you please."

"Of course. Do you have his application?"

"Yes dear, one moment please." She levitated her colt's entry form out of her satchel and onto the counter top. The other mare read through it. She looked at Star and smiled, saying;

"I'll be right back. Let me submit this to our principal for review."

Glam nodded approval and watched the receptionist take away the application. She turned to face her son, who was looking around at the photography and art all over the walls.

She followed his gaze, they were amazing displays of perspective, color, and form. Dreamer eyed a long clear box mounted on a stretch of wall at least a yard in width. The case was filled with trophies, plaques, sports memorabilia, and more photos of ponies, earth ponies, doing amazing things with obstacle courses and hurdles. Some ponies were even in the water demonstrating an uncanny ability to swim.

Gypsy looked at Glam and smiled a little. She smiled back reassuringly and said;

"I believe you can do amazing things. Anything you set your heart to."

"Really?"

"Of course. The first step to failure is denial."

//*//

Gypsy Daydreamer

He tilted his head at what his mother just said, but before he could ask what she meant, the principle arrived.

They all turned to face Celestia and bowed in respect. Gypsy blushed slightly. He had never seen anything so radiant in his entire life and he swore he never would again. He tried not to stare, instead focusing on the glittering rainbow that was her mane.

"Welcome to Canterlot Academy. We know you will learn plenty and enjoy your time here" The princess smiled at them.

Gypsy smiled back reflexively then immediately blushed again. Wow she was gorgeous.... He caught the tail end of her talking about a tour and followed behind with his mother and sister in hoof.